Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
A combination of "2nd Amendment" and "enemies, foreign and domestic."

<Cerano in Major League>"Bring that shit to me."</ciml>
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
serious question, please don't turn this into a muslim bashing thread.

with the recent problems in france and around the world, why have their been virtually no such problmes here?

Despite what people will tell you, the Riots in Europe as more an issue of immigration than a religious issue.

Immigrants in Europe are ghettoized, and feel that they are treated as second class citizens.
Their rioting is more akin to when our blacks riot - people who have not assimiliated, and who depend on a welfare state.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody reads the funnies anymore here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO  , it is because they are not as concentrated in ghettos over here like they are in FRANCE-
that and the enviroment here is one in-that they would get their asses handed to em - if they pulled that sht !!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Because it would be their own gas stations and laundromats they are burning  down.

I think most of the European muslims are on welfare of some sort.  Most of our muslims own their own businesses.  Too much to lose for them and their families to go and act stupid over.

BINGO!
Educated people who have a stake in the community generally don't buy into bullshit.
Did you see many blacks with college educations or blacks who were buisness owners rioting and burning post-katrina?
Nope.
Once again, most problems come from that segment of the poulation I like to call "dumbasses"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Once again, most problems come from that segment of the population I like to call "dumbasses"

So simple yet so brilliant.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Because they are terrified of being labeled extremists.

I'm sure 10% of them would love to be morally offended and righteously indignant for the TV cameras.

But they know they could find themselves enjoying an extended stay in a prison that does not exist, or in the prison of another country with no qualms about torturing prisoners just to torture them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Former Attorney General John Ashcroft.  He locked up and deported thousand of them.

The ones that are left are too busy selling gasoline, cigarettes,booze and lottery tickets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
A riot would require motivation.

Americans are notorious for a lack thereof.

You can't buy a riot with food stamps.

It doesn't show up in the mail on the first.

It's certainly not conducive to Monday Night Football.

It does nothing to enhance a stock portfolio.

It certainly doesn't come with a set of bitchin' wheels.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Because the majority of the rioting overseas is state sponsored.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Around here we keep all the rocks policed up. They have no ammo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But they know they could find themselves enjoying an extended stay in a prison that does not exist, or in the prison of another country with no qualms about torturing prisoners just to torture them.

are you meaning to represent this as a good thing?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#14]
honestly, my take is, they're just not that deeply organized here.
Also, if there is a riot, it would suck for me because i live in Dearborn dammit!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you meaning to represent this as a good thing?

Does anybody have a problem with this policy?
[crickets]
Well...alrighty then!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The problem children get to stay at a special resort run by the govt...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Muslims can get away with anything they want in this country. Just like the illegals pouring over. If they start protesting, etc..nothing will happen.

Yeah, I think the Muslims here THINK we wouldn't tolerate it so they aren't doing it, saddly, I think our government would.

Look at the LA riots.

Thats not a very good comparison.
"Black Terrorism" didn't kill 5000 people and lead to almost 5 years and two countries worth of war.

Do you think the LA riots would've happened without the civil rights movement of the 60s?
Do you think that shit would have flown in the 30s, 40s, or even the early 50s?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Our moslems are more educated and civilized.

Bingo.

We don't have a large muslim underclass.  Most muslims here are better off than muslims anywhere else in the world.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Not to mention during the various LA riots the natives burn and loot their own neighborhoods.

(you would think they would beat feets to Santa Monica or Beverly Hills...)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
LOL.  Some folks just don't know what they're talking about.  I promise you, if RIOTING broke out in the US akin to what we've seen in the news, there will be a lot of wounded and a fair number of dead rioters.  

Cross my heart; scout's honor.  

Yep.  Not everyone has forgotten.  Just the ones without guns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A lot of things are different here.

There is hope and opportunity here.

The people rioting over there, don't have any hope for a better life tomorrow.

As a good friend of mine told me about the Muslims in the middle east. One religious zealot can "motivate" nonviolent muslims to violence by saying they are "bad" muslims if they don't act a certain way.
I suck at explaining what he meant.......but he has lived all over the region and knows the people and customs well and I believe him.

People I work with, mostly Indians, tell me that ALL muslims hate America and the West.
Even the friendly ones.

I don't know this for myself, but the Indian experience with Islam is not to be ignored.

The Indians where I work are afraid of the muslims there.  If you think ARFCOMers distrust Muslims they don't have anything on the Indians.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure why there are no riots but I know the hate is there. a few days ago I was with my little brother at the park when I herd some kids playing in almost perfect harmony. I glanced over and saw two Muslim children playing with this white boy. I then went on with my business of watching the little bro when I herd I hate jews!, My mommy and daddy tell us they are our enemy. I glance over again and see the white boys pull out a star of David pendant from his shirt and said "I am a jew, Do you hate me?" the little Muslim children spit on the boy with the star and ran away to their mother who was sitting a few yards away. I was and still am shocked from the whole scene.

They may not be as overt as alot of thier overseas brethern, but I believe this is just one example of what is being taught at the homes of alot of young Muslims.

It's only a matter of time before they grow up enough to do something about it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I tend to believe many Muslims living in the US have more common sense...

That's funny! Common sense, lol!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Rumor is  the non-lethal bullets ued for crowd control are made of pork fat.

PORK FAT RULES
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.

We don't have a large muslim underclass.  Most muslims here are better off than muslims anywhere else in the world.

We do have an underclass though, and it frequently riots.
If you ask me, it has more to do with being part of the underclass than it has to do with being Muslim.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Because our CULTURE is better than what they have set up.  Islam is just a fucking religion, it's used as an excuse.  If you morons hate the damn religion so fucking much go do something personally about killing some.  I'll even help you out.

www.goarmy.com
www.1800goguard.com (actually if you are in WA, wait until the recruiter assistant program comes online, and let me refer you, I can use the two grand :) )

You fucks are shitting on people I personally know in the military, some that have served with honor in Irak and Afganistan.  They've done more for this country than some of you jackasses here have ever done, or ever will do for this country.

The Middle East is completely fucked up, as a culture, and the religion is just a product of that.  Just like Christianity was hundreds of years ago, and for the very same reasons.  Unfortunately, that region never progressed culturally, economically, or really in any way.  Of course the Western control of the region until the '20s and '30s wouldn't have anything to do with that could it.  They still herd sheep outside of Kuwait City alongside the freeway.  Sure you can find farms within a couple hours of DC, but this would be like driving around the beltway and having to dodge a cow.  They are just a very stuck in the past people.
Did the Middle East even have anything like an industrial revolution?  It seems that all they've ever known was herding sheep, and goats.  They want the big Persian Empire of the past, but everybody wants to be in charge, and most are Arabs anyway (the only Persians are the Iranians).
They are like kids with lots of money and big guns.  Take some kids, treat them like shit for their early years, then when they are about to become teens, cut them loose and give them an AR and a million.  See what they do.  Also put them under the influence of some jackass.

A lot of people I'm sure remember that the number of guns is said to be at least one in every other house.  That's on the news enough that it's going to be hard to forget.  Also the footage of armed homeowners during Katrina, and let's not forget the famous Korean grocery store during the LA riots, that was cool.

We really haven't had too many riots in general. The WTO in Seattle, LA riots, and the race riots in the '60s, before that were all the labor riots in the '30s. No other big ones that jump to mind immediately.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Because our CULTURE is better than what they have set up.  Islam is just a fucking religion, it's used as an excuse.  If you morons hate the damn religion so fucking much go do something personally about killing some.  I'll even help you out.

www.goarmy.com
www.1800goguard.com (actually if you are in WA, wait until the recruiter assistant program comes online, and let me refer you, I can use the two grand :) )

You fucks are shitting on people I personally know in the military, some that have served with honor in Irak and Afganistan.  They've done more for this country than some of you jackasses here have ever done, or ever will do for this country.

The Middle East is completely fucked up, as a culture, and the religion is just a product of that.  Just like Christianity was hundreds of years ago, and for the very same reasons.  Unfortunately, that region never progressed culturally, economically, or really in any way.  Of course the Western control of the region until the '20s and '30s wouldn't have anything to do with that could it.  They still herd sheep outside of Kuwait City alongside the freeway.  Sure you can find farms within a couple hours of DC, but this would be like driving around the beltway and having to dodge a cow.  They are just a very stuck in the past people.
Did the Middle East even have anything like an industrial revolution?  It seems that all they've ever known was herding sheep, and goats.  They want the big Persian Empire of the past, but everybody wants to be in charge, and most are Arabs anyway (the only Persians are the Iranians).
They are like kids with lots of money and big guns.  Take some kids, treat them like shit for their early years, then when they are about to become teens, cut them loose and give them an AR and a million.  See what they do.  Also put them under the influence of some jackass.

A lot of people I'm sure remember that the number of guns is said to be at least one in every other house.  That's on the news enough that it's going to be hard to forget.  Also the footage of armed homeowners during Katrina, and let's not forget the famous Korean grocery store during the LA riots, that was cool.

We really haven't had too many riots in general. The WTO in Seattle, LA riots, and the race riots in the '60s, before that were all the labor riots in the '30s. No other big ones that jump to mind immediately.

KORAN commands to kill infidels:

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

On unbelievers is the curse of Allah. - Sura 2:161

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. (different translation: ) Fight them until there is no persecution and the religion is God's entirely. - Sura 2:193 and 8:39

Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216
(different translation: ) Prescribed for you is fighting, though it is hateful to you.

..... martyrs.... Enter heaven - Surah 3:140-43

If you should die or be killed in the cause of Allah, His mercy and forgiveness would surely be better than all they riches they amass. If you should die or be killed, before Him you shall all be gathered. - 3:157-8

You must not think that those who were slain in the cause of Allah are dead. They are alive, and well-provided for by their Lord. - Surah 3:169-71

Let those fight in the cause of God who sell the life of this world for the hereafter. To him who fights in the cause of God, whether he is slain or victorious, soon we shall give him a great reward. - Surah 4:74

Those who believe fight in the cause of God, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil. - 4:76

But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them. - 4:89

Therefore, we stirred among them enmity and hatred, which shall endure till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will declare to them all that they have done. - 5:14

O believers, take not Jews and Christians as friends; they are friends of each other. Those of you who make them his friends is one of them. God does not guide an unjust people. - 5:54

Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme - 8:39

Yeah, it's not the religion
BTW, I DID serve.

My understanding is that a couple of Mullah's from Denmark toured S.W. Asia, inflaming hatred and showing pictures that didn'r appear in those cartoon's.
They didn't come to the states, and the pictures have been suppressed here, I think that is a big part of why no riot's here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.goarmy.com

KORAN commands to kill infidels:

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

On unbelievers is the curse of Allah. - Sura 2:161

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. (different translation: ) Fight them until there is no persecution and the religion is God's entirely. - Sura 2:193 and 8:39

Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216
(different translation: ) Prescribed for you is fighting, though it is hateful to you.

..... martyrs.... Enter heaven - Surah 3:140-43

If you should die or be killed in the cause of Allah, His mercy and forgiveness would surely be better than all they riches they amass. If you should die or be killed, before Him you shall all be gathered. - 3:157-8

You must not think that those who were slain in the cause of Allah are dead. They are alive, and well-provided for by their Lord. - Surah 3:169-71

Let those fight in the cause of God who sell the life of this world for the hereafter. To him who fights in the cause of God, whether he is slain or victorious, soon we shall give him a great reward. - Surah 4:74

Those who believe fight in the cause of God, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil. - 4:76

But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them. - 4:89

Therefore, we stirred among them enmity and hatred, which shall endure till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will declare to them all that they have done. - 5:14

O believers, take not Jews and Christians as friends; they are friends of each other. Those of you who make them his friends is one of them. God does not guide an unjust people. - 5:54

Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme - 8:39

Yeah, it's not the religion
BTW, I DID serve.

My understanding is that a couple of Mullah's from Denmark toured S.W. Asia, inflaming hatred and showing pictures that didn'r appear in those cartoon's.
They didn't come to the states, and the pictures have been suppressed here, I think that is a big part of why no riot's here.

No.
It's not.
Every muslim I know has seen the pictures.
Reactions range from "meh" to mild irritation, much like I had during the Christ in urine fiasco.
I would wager very few muslims here are going to go out and burn something.
They are not part of the underclass.

Now ask yourself - if those were cartoons of blacks, how many members of the black underclass here would go out and burn some stuff?
Ah...there's your answer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Like it's really poor youth's rioting in Syria and Iran. Do you think anyone riot's over there without .GOV ok? This is Islamic goverment's trying to put pressure on non-islamic countries.
This has nothing to do with poor people fighting oppresion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Dude, you're forgetting that Christians and Jews aren't "infidels" according to that very same book.  In Mohameds time, Christians and Jews were given privledges and rights that other religions weren't because they are people of the book.
I'm sure that if I wanted to spend the time, I could find some passages from what I assume is your bible that commands the death and destruction of others.

You DID, past tense serve.  Where?  And you are still spitting on the Muslims you may have served with, and the ones that ARE, RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT, serving.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Because we have jobs, families, friends, bills to pay, kids to raise, lawn to mow, etc. We also have something to lose (home, job, freedom) if we get to far out of line doing stupid shit. Above all we have brains and generally a desire to amount to something and make sure others around us do the same. We do see that behavior in our ghettos sometimes as the population indigenous to the ghetto is little remove from their muzzie cousins when something "outrageous" happens like an NBA team winning the championship.

Ya' took the woids right outa' my  mowt.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:54:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure why there are no riots but I know the hate is there. a few days ago I was with my little brother at the park when I herd some kids playing in almost perfect harmony. I glanced over and saw two Muslim children playing with this white boy. I then went on with my business of watching the little bro when I herd I hate jews!, My mommy and daddy tell us they are our enemy. I glance over again and see the white boys pull out a star of David pendant from his shirt and said "I am a jew, Do you hate me?" the little Muslim children spit on the boy with the star and ran away to their mother who was sitting a few yards away. I was and still am shocked from the whole scene.

And nothing was done about this?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

More educated? Yeah. More civilized? Well.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
They would have their asses handed to them in short order.  

Sadly, I firmly believe that .gov would expend as many resources (if not more) against perceived "vigilantes" as they would to stop actual Muslim violence. Sometimes this country is pathetic.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Not to mention during the various LA riots the natives burn and loot their own neighborhoods.

This touches on something that others have said...it's not really "your own neighborhood" if people from outside the neighborhood own all of the apartment buildings, stores, gas stations, etc.

People that have nothing to lose are the people that riot. People that have a vested interest, either Black, Muslim, whatever, don't riot.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#36]
There were "sympathy riots" by Iranians and other lefties on US college campuses when the Iranians invaded our embassy in 1979 and took the hostages.  

At the University of Minnesota normal Americans, many of the college students, fought back, with rocks, bottles, etc. and the police had to show up to protect (and disperse) the pro-Iran "protesters".

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it didn't happen.
Does anyone actually believe that story?
A little too far fetched for me to buy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it didn't happen.
Does anyone actually believe that story?
A little too far fetched for me to buy.

Not too far fetched for me to buy. I've seen a little white kid push a little black kid down and call him a ni&&er before. Made me wish there was a licensing requirement before you're allowed to have kids.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Like it's really poor youth's rioting in Syria and Iran. Do you think anyone riot's over there without .GOV ok? This is Islamic goverment's trying to put pressure on non-islamic countries.This has nothing to do with poor people fighting oppresion.

So it is not the poor rioting in those countries?
I'd wager they don't have jobs to go to, so that would make them the poor.

Of course not.
Are you naive enough to think that the gov'ts of these countries don't use these issues, and others, to distract the citizenry?
When you make America the focus of their anger, it takes the heat off of the local government.
Those people are just pawns.

I have no problem with one country putting pressure on another country.
We do it all the time, don't we?
The boycott of danish good is fine; the danes did something to offend them, they are expressing their displeasure.
That is their perrogative.
The violence, is not acceptable, and they need to realize that a) they are not helping their image with westerners, and b) they are being played by their own governments.

Incorrect.
This has everything to do with people fighting oppression.
Islam is the unifying factor that is used as a vehicle to carry the message.
The problem is though, that they get duped by their governments, who tell them that we, the Americans, are the cause of their problems.
So, they take out their rage on us.
These people are pawns - you need to realize that.
But we can make them work for us.
We need to stop supporting people like Saddam Hussein (a situation that we have rectified), Mubbarak, the House of Saud, Musharraf, et al.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

...that, and muslims in other nations, tend to be at the bottom of the economic ladder.

American muslims do tend to be more educated, with a westernized appreciation of life, and do quite well......compared to euro-muslims......who are stuck in go no where places, much like burroughs/ghettos in the US

IMHO
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Like it's really poor youth's rioting in Syria and Iran. Do you think anyone riot's over there without .GOV ok? This is Islamic goverment's trying to put pressure on non-islamic countries.
This has nothing to do with poor people fighting oppression.

Holy shit.  It took until page 4, but someone finally came up with the right answer.

Not that the tinfoil-hat commandos here will bother to notice it.

www.opinionjournal.com/weekend/hottopic/?id=110007956

...mass demonstrations almost never represent mainstream public sentiment in the West. Why then should we take it as given that they do among Muslims? Every society has its silent majorities, but it's only in democracies that those majorities exercise a decisive influence. If Islamic societies seem premodern and violent, this surely has something to do with the fact that most Muslim countries today are places where there is no democracy; where silent majorities stay silent; where, to adapt W.H. Auden, "only the man behind the rifle has free speech."

So it has been in the case of the cartoons, which were first published in September, to the fairly muted protests of Danish Muslims. Ambassadors of 10 Muslim countries demanded that the Danish government "take all those responsible to task," apparently forgetting that, unlike in their own countries, Danish authorities do not serve as press censors. Around the same time, an Egyptian newspaper reprinted the cartoons without drawing any noticeable wrath from Muslim clerics.

It was only after a December meeting of the 56 member states of the Organization of Islamic Conferences--all but a handful of which are dictatorships or absolute monarchies--that the "outrage" really took wing. No surprise here: as Sari Hanafi of the American University in Beirut told the New York Times, these autocracies made use of the cartoons (the most offensive of which were fabrications) as a way of showing that the expansion of freedom and democracy in their countries would lead inevitably to the denigration of Islam. From there it was but a short hop to the airwaves of al-Jazeera (owned by the Emir of Qatar), whose in-house cleric, Yussuf Qaradawi, a member of the fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood, issued a fatwa calling for a "day of anger."

Put simply, what we have witnessed isn't the proverbial rage of the Arab street. It's an orchestrated effort by illiberal regimes, colluding with fundamentalist clerics, to conjure the illusion of Muslim rage for their own political purposes. The Iranian mullahs seek to discredit Denmark as it assumes the rotating presidency of the U.N. Security Council, where Iran's nuclear program is being discussed. The secular Allawite regime in Syria wants to shore up its ties with the Sunni religious establishment, especially now that Bashar Assad's former vice president has declared a government in exile. The Saudis want to put behind them the latest stampede at the annual Hajj, where some 350 pilgrims were killed.

And in Europe, clerics and self-styled "community leaders" with close links to the Saudi government or the Brotherhood want to assert their dominance over populations that have yet to find their social or economic place in the mainstream of European life, as November's riots in France showed. The fact that European governments seem easily cowed by threats of violence has only made the problem worse.

In all the uproar, we find it telling that the two places where Muslim communities have shown restraint and moderation is in the United States and Iraq. American Muslims are overwhelmingly middle class, upwardly mobile and not very susceptible to the atavistic urgings of distant dictatorships. In Iraq, an unsilent majority has repeatedly made its views plain about the religious fanatics who demand to speak in their name. Just imagine the kind of anti-Western protests that would be taking place there now if Saddam were still in power.

There's a lesson in this for those who would have us believe that what this cartoon conflagration represents is a conflict of civilizations. There is a conflict all right, not between civilizations, but within one, and it pits those who would make Islam barbaric and those who would keep it civilized. In that struggle, the heirs of Socrates and the heirs of al-Farabi must make common cause.

www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007934

Amir Taheri:

... But how representative of Islam are all those demonstrators? The "rage machine" was set in motion when the Muslim Brotherhood -- a political, not a religious, organization -- called on sympathizers in the Middle East and Europe to take the field. A fatwa was issued by Yussuf al-Qaradawi, a Brotherhood sheikh with his own program on al-Jazeera. Not to be left behind, the Brotherhood's rivals, Hizb al-Tahrir al-Islami (Islamic Liberation Party) and the Movement of the Exiles (Ghuraba), joined the fray. Believing that there might be something in it for themselves, the Syrian Baathist leaders abandoned their party's 60-year-old secular pretensions and organized attacks on the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Damascus and Beirut.

Now to the second claim, that the Muslim world is not used to laughing at religion. That is true if we restrict the Muslim world to the [Muslim] Brotherhood and its siblings in the Salafist movement, Hamas, Islamic Jihad and al Qaeda. But these are all political organizations masquerading as religious ones. They are not the sole representatives of Islam, just as the Nazi Party was not the sole representative of German culture. Their attempt at portraying Islam as a sullen culture that lacks a sense of humor is part of the same discourse that claims "suicide martyrdom" as the highest goal for all true believers.

The truth is that Islam has always had a sense of humor and has never called for chopping heads as the answer to satirists. Muhammad himself pardoned a famous Meccan poet who had lampooned him for more than a decade. Both Arabic and Persian literature, the two great literatures of Islam, are full of examples of "laughing at religion," at times to the point of irreverence. Again, offering an exhaustive list is not possible. But those familiar with Islam's literature know of Ubaid Zakani's "Mush va Gorbeh" (Mouse and Cat), a match for Rabelais when it comes to mocking religion. Sa'adi's eloquent soliloquy on behalf of Satan mocks the "dry pious ones." And Attar portrays a hypocritical sheikh who, having fallen into the Tigris, is choked by his enormous beard. Islamic satire reaches its heights in Rumi, where a shepherd conspires with God to pull a stunt on Moses; all three end up having a good laugh.

Islamic ethics is based on "limits and proportions," which means that the answer to an offensive cartoon is a cartoon, not the burning of embassies or the kidnapping of people designated as the enemy. Islam rejects guilt by association. Just as Muslims should not blame all Westerners for the poor taste of a cartoonist who wanted to be offensive, those horrified by the spectacle of rent-a-mob sackings of embassies in the name of Islam should not blame all Muslims for what is an outburst of fascist energy.

www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007938

Bernard-Henri Levy:

So what made this demented scene, this planetary upheaval, possible? However you might look at the problem, it is hard not to see that insidious forces have brought these drawings to the attention of the Muslim masses. And it is hard not to link this provocation, the deliberate circulation of these cartoons, the quasi-home-delivery of a Danish paper that no one could have guessed had so many readers in the Muslim world, it is hard not to link this self-inflicted blasphemy, this calculated offense (calculated, mind you, by the organizers of the distribution of the cartoons), it is hard not to link this blasphemy to a new planetary configuration, itself determined by three recent and major events.

The diversionary tactic of a Syria which we never saw so concerned over religious matters, but which now turns out to be capable of anything--including infiltrating agents into Lebanon and sponsoring demonstrations in Damascus, where it is well known that nothing of the sort can happen without the explicit assent of the government--in order to reclaim its role as a great regional agitator and make everyone forget the involvement of its secret services in the murder of Rafik Hariri.

The hardening of Iran's Islamic Republic, ready to make all kinds of theological concessions (including a grand historic alliance of Shiites and Sunnis, which experts have been telling us for decades would be against nature) with the goal of heading up in the Muslim and Arab world the grand anti-Christian, anti-Semitic and antidemocratic crusade.

And then this tragedy in the Palestinian territories of the victory of an ideology whose themes (the call, based on the denial of the Holocaust, for the pure and simple destruction of Israel and the Jews) had up to now been in power only in openly dictatorial, sometimes even crypto-fascist, states. This ideology has triumphed for the first time in a long while through democratic decision and the sacred path of the ballot.

...second, in the same breath, the reaffirmation of our support for those enlightened moderate Muslims who know that the honor of Islam is far more insulted, and trampled under foot, when Iraqi terrorists bomb a mosque in Baghdad, when Pakistani jihadists decapitate Daniel Pearl in the name of God and film their crime, or when an Algerian fundamentalist emir disembowels, while reciting the Quran, an Algerian woman whose only crime was to have dared show her beautiful face. Moderate Muslims are alone these days, and in their solitude they more than ever need to be acknowledged and hailed.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
People I work with, mostly Indians, tell me that ALL muslims hate America and the West.
Even the friendly ones.

Just like all Chinese want to work for ten cents per day and bring their babies, er, sorry, baby up in an area contaminated with arsenic and lead wastes, right?

And just like all Germans are goose-stepping fascists who love nothing better than to make lampshades out of Jewish skin?

Methinks you might bother to think to yourself, "hmm, maybe there's a bit of personal prejudice going on there."  But of course all Hindus are peace-loving vegetarians, just like the one who murdered Gandhi.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Serious answer.  Because they might get their ask kicked in a seriuos way.  I think our tolerance for this BS is at an all time low.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Real answer is economics. The quality of life in the USA is high so people have more to risk by rioting in the streets and getting arrested and or shot by the police or an armed civilian
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Even the friendly ones.

Just like all Chinese want to work for ten cents per day and bring their babies, er, sorry, baby up in an area contaminated with arsenic and lead wastes, right?

And just like all Germans are goose-stepping fascists who love nothing better than to make lampshades out of Jewish skin?

Methinks you might bother to think to yourself, "hmm, maybe there's a bit of personal prejudice going on there."  But of course all Hindus are peace-loving vegetarians, just like the one who murdered Gandhi.

BURN!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Unicorn
You bring up very good points which makes me ask this Question since

They still herd sheep outside of Kuwait City alongside the freeway. Sure you can find farms within a couple hours of DC, but this would be like driving around the beltway and having to dodge a cow. They are just a very stuck in the past people.
Did the Middle East even have anything like an industrial revolution? It seems that all they've ever known was herding sheep, and goats. They want the big Persian Empire of the past, but everybody wants to be in charge, and most are Arabs anyway (the only Persians are the Iranians).
They are like kids with lots of money and big guns. Take some kids, treat them like shit for their early years, then when they are about to become teens, cut them loose and give them an AR and a million. See what they do. Also put them under the influence of some jackass.

So since we will not bring them into the Industrialized Society and they all want the power....When we leave what do you think will happen...Even reduction of troops over time. Things will be back the way they were...History will repeat itself and people will have died in vain again....

The only reason they don't have violent protests here is because of Education,  being out of the tyranny and seeing what the American Dream is about...I know in NY that certain Emergency groups have been put on Tactical Alert..Mostly in Brooklyn and around Metrotech where all 911 Communications come out of. I also know a couple of Leo's who told me they have orders and are willing to carry them out to the extreme....

What pisses me off is how the media is treating this. Trying to look good by saying THEY feel there is no need to reproduce the pictures to show or tell the story....What a bunch of Bull Shit...Since I know they were not afraid to show Christ in a toilet bowl or Madonna with Dung around her in a Brooklyn exhibit. The media in America put it's tail between it's legs and ran.
Islam won the war of freedom of expression and the riot is their way of dancing in the streets. Just like they did when the planes hit the WTC....REMEMBER THAT...This is the same thing on a different level.
I am glad there are some who would join the Army and go fight for Freedom. That they served their New Country to protect their Mother Country. I thank them and you for the service, now lets see them move back and join the Army there and decided to make a life for their families in their Home Country.......I think not because they know it is a lost cause and they will be dead when America leaves.
Let them riot here I will sit and watch it on TV and then come and print a BS thread on the net about what a bunch of A-holes they are....But if I see it getting out of hand and windows broke around my area then all bets are off...Unless the PD puts a unit in front of my home to protect me...

A-Hab meet Mr Barrett & Mr Armalite AR30-338LM Then Mr-300RSAUM Then MR-308 Then Mr 223 then Mr- 12 guage Then Mr 45 & 9mm and finally Mr Cold Steel.......I do not see this ever going to happen over this little cartoon but I do see it after the Nuke Suit Case is delivered.

Unicorn..THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE....I respect what you say because you saw it first hand and walked that hall. God Bless you and the Muslim's that put their life on the line for freedom.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Dude, you're forgetting that Christians and Jews aren't "infidels" according to that very same book.  In Mohameds time, Christians and Jews were given privledges and rights that other religions weren't because they are people of the book.

On the other hand Mohamad did exterminate all the Jews in Mecca and Medina and who knows where else..
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#48]
The Paris riots resulted from a large concentration of low-wage foreign-culture inhabitants.

The Sydney riots resulted from a large concentration of low-wage foreign-culture inhabitants.

Thank goodness the USA doesn't import large numbers of foreign-culture workers and concentrate them in urban areas.

Oh wait...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the other hand Mohamad did exterminate all the Jews in Mecca and Medina and who knows where else..

Hmm, typical apologist rhetoric. Sure they were given privledges and rights, if they payed the "tax"...if not, off with their heads like any other infidel.

Here is the problem I have....many want to tippy toe around the problem to show their PC excellence.

During WWII did we say "Gee, we are at war with German extremists" or "We have to understand our only enemies are the Japanese extremists"....

No, we were at war with Germany, Italy, Japan. Period.

It doesn't matter if the enemy is a defined country, or a defined religion. To me it is clear that a certain defined religion has declared war upon all infidels and especially the US. This religion has been at war with anyone not like them since its inception. It has followed the same tactics of conquest since its inception.

Just like we didn't specify which Germans or Japanese we were at war with, neither should we now. When you are at war you hammer your enemy until either you or he is defeated. Once it is over, niceties can return.

Try and fight wars along political and/or PC restraints, and you'll learn how not to win a war. Look at Vietnam. Fight with one hand tied around your balls thanks to politicians, and see what happens.

If Vietnam was WWII, there would have been no pussy footing around. Oh, North Vietnam, you want to fight...ok. None of this...ok, maybe we'll bomb Hanoi a little. Ok, thats enough. Stop. Hmmm, ok maybe a little more.

Fuck that, if LeMay would have been in charge, it would've been....carpet bomb Hanoi until they give up, or disappear from the face of the earth. Civilian casualties, collateral damage, women and children....so solly, shouldn't have fucked with us.

The only way to win a war is to destroy your enemies will and ability to fight. period. Until we are willing to do that, we will never win.

IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#50]
The Muslim leadership in the USA understands that their population numbers have not reached a “tipping point.”

Once the population numbers are high enough 10-15% you can expect to see violence as a politic tool (as seen in other western countries).
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top