User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree people are stupid, and drive badly.

A flashing yellow right turn arrow is so fucking stupid I wouldn't blame somebody for not being sure what to do, even a flashing yellow left turn arrow would be a traffic hazard.
View Quote

bingo
the have just started installing tons of these flashing yellow left turn arrows around here.
Yes, flashing yellow arrow to make a left turn.

you know, which means the same thing as a solid green light at a left turn
yield to oncoming traffic

They have these huge signs up  (in english, which pretty much removes half the population around here from understanding it) trying to explain it
If you have to put up a sign explaining your traffic signal  IT'S A HELPFUL SIGNAL.

clearly someone is getting a huge kickback because they have even started installing them when making left turns into dirt driveways.  (really)

And at night, it's way worse, what's the first thing that catches your eye?  that's right, flashing lights, which means your attention is taking by a signal that is not only redundant but taking attention away from what you should be watching.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I drive for a living, everyday I'm on the road. I drive in the N/W Indiana Chicago area. Everyone of the examples people are posting in this thread I see everyday, it's true you really have to stay on guard where I go  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But it's sooooooo simple.  The right turn arrow comes on at the same time the left turn arrow comes on. I'm on my tablet so I can't do paint.

Drivers facing North get a left turn arrow to go west. Drivers facing east get the flashing yellow to go south.  It just means yield to any of the northbound drivers that might do a southbound u turn.  It just alleviates some of the right turn traffic instead of stopping on the red waiting to turn. It doesn't work well though because people still stop, and wait.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A flashing yellow right turn arrow is so fucking stupid I wouldn't blame somebody for not being sure what to do, even a flashing yellow left turn arrow would be a traffic hazard.

But it's sooooooo simple.  The right turn arrow comes on at the same time the left turn arrow comes on. I'm on my tablet so I can't do paint.

Drivers facing North get a left turn arrow to go west. Drivers facing east get the flashing yellow to go south.  It just means yield to any of the northbound drivers that might do a southbound u turn.  It just alleviates some of the right turn traffic instead of stopping on the red waiting to turn. It doesn't work well though because people still stop, and wait.

In most states, a red light is effectively a yield if you're making a right turn unless otherwise indicated, so a flashing yellow would be a foreign language for most drivers.

I'm not necessarily opposed to new or improved traffic instructions but it isn't surprising that people react strangely to stuff they've never seen before.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In most states, a red light is effectively a yield if you're making a right turn unless otherwise indicated, so a flashing yellow would be a foreign language for most drivers.

I'm not necessarily opposed to new or improved traffic instructions but it isn't surprising that people react strangely to stuff they've never seen before.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To put it simply it means go, but maybe 1 in 10 gets it, so it basically doesn't work anyhow.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]

they suck at life

you should get over it stat
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I blame the increase of inattentive drivers on the decline of the standard transmission.

View Quote

This and car manufactures turning the inside of the car into the cockpit of the space shuttle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The dumbest thing we have just implemented is the "Michigan left turn" or whatever this stupidity is called. No left turns at the intersection. You have to drive through the intersection, and do a u turn, and then a right turn. Wtf?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here we have a yellow right turn arrow. All it means is watch out for people doing a U-turn. It used to be a green arrow, but it conflicted with drivers doing U-turns, so it is now a flashing yellow arrow.

That's got to be the goofiest goddamned thing I ever heard.

I think I'd stare at it, too, trying to figure out what the fuck it means.  "Watch out for u-turns" wouldn't even be contemplated.  What moron came up with that nonsense?

Wait a second.  Right turn arrows?  You guys drive on the left down there or something?  What the fuck?  Mental note:  Be sure to study an Arizona traffic control device manual before driving in Arizona.  That's just fuckin' weird, man!

The dumbest thing we have just implemented is the "Michigan left turn" or whatever this stupidity is called. No left turns at the intersection. You have to drive through the intersection, and do a u turn, and then a right turn. Wtf?

We just got those stupid f**ing indirect lefts in Tucson. I will do everything in my power to avoid them  

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I swear IQ's suddenly drop when people drive a vehicle.

Here we have a yellow right turn arrow. All it means is watch out for people doing a U-turn. It used to be a green arrow, but it conflicted with drivers doing U-turns, so it is now a flashing yellow arrow. It does NOT mean stop, and stare at the freaking thing until the light turns green, and yet 90 percent of the people here do just that. It's an arrow! Its pointing!  It's flashing to get your attention! Why are you fucking staring at it?

Then there are the people who switch to a left/right turn lane, and then turn their signal on, or even worse they sit there for a minute, and then decide to turn it on wtf? Uhhhh we already know you're going to turn now moron. You needed to signal to indicate you were going to get into the turn lane!

Night driving. Why do you drive ten under the limit at night? Are you afraid of the dark?

Makeup, and hair teasing???? Seriously?

Texting, and swerving all over the road. Dumbass.

Oh, and the most stupid thing I have seen recently was some dumbfuck READING a fucking book while he was driving.

View Quote

Mother of God.  I've seen that too, and it is absolutely disturbing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
My first car had a powerglide and an AM radio.

It was easy to pay attention because there was nothing in the car to distract the driver.
Except my girlfriend, but that's another thread.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This and car manufactures turning the inside of the car into the cockpit of the space shuttle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I blame the increase of inattentive drivers on the decline of the standard transmission.

I have no problem with cool interiors. Just pay attention to where you are going, and what's going on around you.

For the record I feel more than free to bitch. 33 years of driving, and no at fault accidents.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To put it simply it means go, but maybe 1 in 10 gets it, so it basically doesn't work anyhow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no ti doesn't
a solid green light or arrow means go, you are protected, you have right of way
a flashing yellow light means you can go and you have right of way, but be careful
a flashing yellow arrow means fuck all
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Especially the people who are illegal here,and it's their God given right to live in a state where they are given a D.L.
And,they have around 10 of their buddies crammed in the same vehicle with them.They are the worst.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

no ti doesn't
a flashing yellow light means you can go and you have right of way, but be careful
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no ti doesn't

I'm talking about the yellow right turn here. As in stop treating it as a red light and just sitting there.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
no ti doesn't

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no ti doesn't

Around here, a flashing yellow left arrow just recently began to mean Yield (Other lane has ROW).  Of course, when turning left a green used to mean yield.  I guess they had to change the yield light because it was too confusing?

Flashing yellow right arrow makes no sense at all, unless you want to start displaying that instead of Red in right turn lanes.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm talking about the yellow right turn here. As in stop treating it as a red light and just sitting there.

View Quote

The only reason that would make sense is if they eliminated all right on reds.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You just might be onto something here, but don't discount cell phone and texting
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You just might be onto something here, but don't discount cell phone and texting

Bitches can't play with their phone as much if they have something else to occupy that hand.  I'm sure it can be done, not that I'm willing to test it out.  

I would prefer people just not fuck with things while driving, but I don't think it's possible to get rid of distractions.

At least with a manual (in my opinion) you are forced to pay attention to what you're doing with the car.

Quoted:

Again, I don't screw around with my phone while driving, and I don't mess with any of the fancy shit found in new cars these days either.

It's one more thing to distract them, especially with the LCD screens, but ultimately it's the drivers lack of responsibility that makes it the distraction.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fairly common here; Right turn on red is legal, and when turning Right onto a three or four lane, the Right green arrow will run consecutively with the opposing Left green arrow, they get the inside, you get the outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never seen a blinking yellow right turn arrow. Ever.

Come to think of it, it's pretty rare to see a right turn arrow period.

Fairly common here; Right turn on red is legal, and when turning Right onto a three or four lane, the Right green arrow will run consecutively with the opposing Left green arrow, they get the inside, you get the outside.

Yep.... Only problem is the idiots that want to go all the way across to the curb lane from the LT, or the maroons that want to get into the median lane from the RT. Both illegal to do....  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Please.  Come to Pennsyl-No-One-Understands-Basic-Fucking-Right-of-Way-and-7-Out-of-10-jack-offs-HAVE-to-have-their-brights-on-at-night-vania.

And the speed limit on the fucking interstate is 55, but most traffic is moving at 75-80.  Except for 6 fuckwads within 30 feet of each other who do nothing but fuck up traffic on the shit two lane fucking roads around here.  Fuck this place.  And fuck the alcohol laws too while I'm at it.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top