User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Torque is nothing because time is everything.

Power is what matters because it includes the work done per unit of time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Torque-
Torque is EVERYTHING!

Yeah, but Torque and RPM are all I need to know to calculate power:

HP= Tq x RPM / 5252

So really, torque IS everything.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
0-60 is a horrible way to rate a car's pick up.  My stock 2006 STi may of had a 0-60 of 4.8 seconds because of the AWD(*depending on the mag), but after 60 it was nothing to write home about. After a turbo swap and FMIC, it was indeed very quick.  My 2012 CTS-V on the other hand just goes like stink.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not in the heavily congested areas that have metering stoplights on the freeway entrance ramps. One car per green, with what feels like <300 yards yards to get up to highway speed (which is 65mph plus the normal extra 8-10mph over the limit most people go) and merge. They're quite interesting in my 3/4ton SUV, the 6L really screams when you stomp on it.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arguably, the standing start 1/4 mile is the real standard. 0-60 is just used in magazines.

Not really, 0-60 is much more applicable to a street car. As you can do a 0-60 blast in most areas. Where a full on 110mph 1/4 mile run isn't feasible(or remotely safe) in most areas.

A magazine style 0-60 blast will get you a display of speed or similar ticket if there is a cop watching.

Not in the heavily congested areas that have metering stoplights on the freeway entrance ramps. One car per green, with what feels like <300 yards yards to get up to highway speed (which is 65mph plus the normal extra 8-10mph over the limit most people go) and merge. They're quite interesting in my 3/4ton SUV, the 6L really screams when you stomp on it.

Kharn

I didn't think of those. The ones I have seen, you would have a spectacular crash at the end of the ramp if you did a WOT run up it. The highway traffic is usually moving about 10 mph.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Acceleration=Distance/Time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Acceleration != Top Speed

That's velocity Einstein

Acceleration = velocity / time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hey Swedelander, there's more to the world than the Good ol' US of A
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It used to be 0-50 if you look at older car mags.

62.5mph=100kph so 0-60 makes it easier to convert across multiple regions for the same car.

Pretty much. We use the 0-100 km/h standard, so 0-60 miles/h makes sense in the US.

Of course, the US is just one of the many Swedish territories around the World.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Aerodynamic drag is relatively insignificant until 60MPH.

0-60 puts all cars on a level playing field for comparison purposes by excluding aerodynamic drag from acceleration figures.

Well, that and 0-100KPH (62mph) is a similar standard in Europe and 60mph is a reasonable gauge of the minimum speed required to merge into moving freeway traffic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

HP= Tq x RPM / 5252

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Torque-

Torque is EVERYTHING!

HP= Tq x RPM / 5252

If torque was everything you wouldn't have bothered to use rpm to calculate power.  I can generate a lot of torque with a cheater pipe and the value might even be equivalent to the maximum torque produced by quite a few engines.

The dyno measures torque.  Torque can break drive shafts or other equipment.  But torque as a measurement isn't useful by itself for determining the general performance capabilities of a particular engine in a vehicle, so you must know the rpm where the torque measurement was made so you can calculate power. The revolutions per minute allows time to get into the measurement which is why power is a more useful measurement than torque.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
+1

Quoted:
0-100-0, that's how it should be done, of course with the speed limits in this contry it's irrelevant.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I didn't think of those. The ones I have seen, you would have a spectacular crash at the end of the ramp if you did a WOT run up it. The highway traffic is usually moving about 10 mph.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arguably, the standing start 1/4 mile is the real standard. 0-60 is just used in magazines.

Not really, 0-60 is much more applicable to a street car. As you can do a 0-60 blast in most areas. Where a full on 110mph 1/4 mile run isn't feasible(or remotely safe) in most areas.

A magazine style 0-60 blast will get you a display of speed or similar ticket if there is a cop watching.

Kharn

Well, it does help to check the highway before you do a WOT launch. Some of them around here are activated at certain times of day regardless of traffic, so you have to keep an eye on the highway while you wait your turn.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
A zero to 60 blast in most cars won't even get the attention of the nice police officer. Who would notice I floored my old 4.6L Ford truck?

EDIT: For those saying torque is everything because of how the equation is presented, does that mean 5252 is everything if I apply a little algebra?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
5-60 is a much better stat to look at.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
0 to 87 just seemed odd.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

62.5mph=100kph so 0-60 makes it easier to convert across multiple regions for the same car.

Pretty much. We use the 0-100 km/h standard, so 0-60 miles/h makes sense in the US.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's very true.  My Buick is 100 MPH in the 1/8th mile, and 136 MPH in the 1/4 mile............and that's a mid 10 second car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly most cars 1/4 mile time & speed are set in stone by 60 mph. In fact I'll go as far to say that most cars pick up around 20mph in the second 1/8 mile of a 1/4 mile.

<-- Has made over 1,000 passes down a dragstrip, autocrossed, open tracked/HPDE, ran the Texas Mile and open road raced.

That's very true.  My Buick is 100 MPH in the 1/8th mile, and 136 MPH in the 1/4 mile............and that's a mid 10 second car.

GN? GS? Pics?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep laughing, subject.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Please explain, in detail, why a quarter mile time is "better" than 0-60 time.

NOTE: This is a question, not a challenge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
0-60 is used as a VERY general way of telling you the absolute quickest that car in stock form will get up to speed.

But it tells you NOTHING about the manner in which it does it.

1/4 mile is a much better indication of how fast a vehicle is but still does not tell you much about the car for how most normal people will drive it.

The vehicle connoisseur will use multiple statistics to get a good idea of how it will perform. 0-60 tells you how it launches and a little bit about how it shifts. 5-60 will tell you a lot better about how fast the car is. Many cars...such as ones with all wheel drive...will have a large disparity between these two statistics because 0-60 requires a hard launch and 5-60 is just flooring it while already moving.

Another important stat is a top gear 50-70 acceleration...which will be a better indicator of torque.

so yea...suck it

Please explain, in detail, why a quarter mile time is "better" than 0-60 time.

NOTE: This is a question, not a challenge.

0-60 is a simple statistic. It doesnt tell you a whole hell of a lot about the car. Only the time it takes to get to a speed. During this test there are a lot of variables and different magazines use different procedures. The launch is incredibly rough on the car. Some magazines allow flat foot shifting and some dont.

1/4 mile is a time it takes to cover a distance and the speed achieved in that distance. A 1/4 time + trap speed tells you a lot more about a car than a simple 0-60. ESPECIALLY if you can see the 60ft time. It gives you a much better idea of how it performs with all of these variables because you can see 1) How well it launches AND what kind of top end performance it has.

As an example a WRX launches hard. Hits 60 in 4.7 seconds and covers the 1/4 in 13.8 seconds at 100 mph. Quick 0-60 but not that impressive for a 1/4 run.
A 2011 Dodge Charger RT takes 5.2 seconds to hit 60 and does the 1/4 in 13.8 at 104mph. Solid time...solid trap speed.

The Charger takes more time to hit 60...but pulls on the top end and covers the 1/4 in the same amount of time and is travelling faster at the end of it. It will be pulling pretty good on the WRX beyond this point. This comparison tells me that day in and day out...launching aside...punch it and go type of driving...the Charger is the faster car.

Another example is my friends Nissan small pickup swapped with a 300zx motor. 1/4 time is 14.5 at 117mph. This is silly. This SCREAMS terrible launch. He has a hard time hooking up. His 60 foot is a laughable 3.1. 117mph trap speed is 11-12 second territory for the most part.

Hereby henceforth therein in conclusion 0-60 is for simpletons. 1/4 is for motorheads.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Acceleration != Top Speed

Acceleration(t) =(d/dt^2)Position(t).

=(d/dt)Velocity(t).

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
0-60 isn't a good measure anymore.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top