Sounds like something a weak lifter not in the Olympics would say
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Weightlifters" are olympic lifters.  You can't take a powerlifter or even a strongman and even ask them to perform an olympic lift. They wouldn't be able to do it. Period. And the guy you're talking to is an olympic lifter BTW.....

I thought the US didn’t have Olympic lifters

Olympic lifts are not only done at the olympics lol

Sounds like something a weak lifter not in the Olympics would say

Indeed
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I go back to the days of Wide World of Sports and Russian weightlifter Vasily Alexiev and it seems that back then for the most part it was Russians but the big rivalrys were Turkish against Bulgarian weightlifters!! Wasn't just a few years back it seems we were watching Turkish " Pocket Hercules" in the Olympics breaking/setting records almost everyday !!! That dude was phenominal!!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Pretty much.

It's like "Why doesn't the US dominate in Rugby" questions. Well, we absolutely would..look at the physicality and speed of an NFL linebacker. We produce those by the thousands...but there's no market here, no money, so they go where the money is. It's a cultural breeding ground, but not for that sport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The real reason is that there is no money behind it

Pretty much.

It's like "Why doesn't the US dominate in Rugby" questions. Well, we absolutely would..look at the physicality and speed of an NFL linebacker. We produce those by the thousands...but there's no market here, no money, so they go where the money is. It's a cultural breeding ground, but not for that sport.

Just imagine if the state of Florida played rugby at every level instead of football. They would probably field the best rugby team in the world.

Now add in top level athletes from TX, CA, PA, OK and OH. The world wouldn’t stand a chance. The US has been slowly creeping up in the rugby world with imported players and college footballers that can’t  make the next level.

We do well in lots of other events because there is money, some of it because they are college sports, some from TV, some because it is a niche rich persons sport.

Oly style weight lifting fits none of that and as it has been pointed out, money sports get the best athletes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

" Socially"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we should stop the charade and just let everyone use a fuck ton of drugs in all competition.

Let's see how far we can push human abilities with drugs.
Rasputin on super high doses of Lance Armstrong or Dwayne Johnson juice would have been interesting.

Imagine blood doping with HGH, massive testosterone and meth.

I want to see these men.

" Socially"?

Hell no. They're probably all crazy. I don't want to even be in the same room.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If we had good weightlifters they'd go to the olympics. We have good powerlifters. You're confusing terms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally different sport than what's being discussed.

Not one American on the list, for any bodyweight, men or women.
https://iwf.sport/results/world-records/

I know that, I said so in my post and that was my point also.  Olympic lifting is not popular here.  That does not mean USA doesn't have good weightlifters.  Olympic style is not the preferred style of US lifters, hence the lack of records or strong competitors.  US has plenty of good lifters, just not in that style.

If we had good weightlifters they'd go to the olympics. We have good powerlifters. You're confusing terms.

Clip vs magazine.

Most people don’t understand the distinction.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's the sad part. You're seeing the best China can do with drugs.

Imagine US tech with Icelandic bros and you have pretty much mythical monsters destroying cities. And they probably will from the roid rage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to see these men.

China will probably give everyone a preview for their olympics.

Imagine US tech with Icelandic bros and you have pretty much mythical monsters destroying cities. And they probably will from the roid rage.

Or whiny bitches like Hafthor.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
They all do CrossFit.  And even there a US woman hasent won in years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Clip vs magazine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that, I said so in my post and that was my point also.  Olympic lifting is not popular here.  That does not mean USA doesn't have good weightlifters.  Olympic style is not the preferred style of US lifters, hence the lack of records or strong competitors.  US has plenty of good lifters, just not in that style.

Clip vs magazine.

That's like saying rugby and soccer are the same.

Weightlifting is a distinct sport, the only thing it has in common with powerlifting is that both use barbells, but they're not even the same type of bars. It is not semantics.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to see these men.

China will probably give everyone a preview for their olympics.

I don't know who that is. But I'm down to see ridiculous feats of strength that drastically reduces someone's life expectancy for my own amusement.

That guy benches 3,700lbs! *dies at 20*
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That’s a new one on me (but I’ve been out of the country and don’t really follow the news that closely)

Can a college pay benefits to the particular high value athlete? Or is it just an NCAA TM stuff, like merchandise and video games?

Like if a top pick can’t decide between Alabama or Oklahoma, but Alabama says they’ll give him $100,000 or buy him a new car, that’s still illegal. Seem to remember a particular coach who got in trouble for that kind of thing a while back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can now be paid for their Name and Image.

That’s a new one on me (but I’ve been out of the country and don’t really follow the news that closely)

Can a college pay benefits to the particular high value athlete? Or is it just an NCAA TM stuff, like merchandise and video games?

Like if a top pick can’t decide between Alabama or Oklahoma, but Alabama says they’ll give him $100,000 or buy him a new car, that’s still illegal. Seem to remember a particular coach who got in trouble for that kind of thing a while back.

Yeah they just started it this year. Colleges don't pay them, well not directly...you can guess how it's going to go though.. EA is bringing back EA College football in 2023 so I bet they'll get paid from EA also. I bet it'll be some high dollar booster that pays some guy $100K to do a car lot commercial. Heard, don't know if true the Bama QB has almost $1M in deals done
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Weightlifters" are olympic lifters.  You can't take a powerlifter or even a strongman and even ask them to perform an olympic lift. They wouldn't be able to do it. Period. And the guy you're talking to is an olympic lifter BTW.....

I thought the US didn’t have Olympic lifters

He gotcha. Wakeboarder is brilliant.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Weightlifting is a distinct sport, the only thing it has in common with powerlifting is that both use barbells, but they're not even the same type of bars. It is not semantics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clip vs magazine.

Power lifters lift a weight, therefore they are weight lifters in many peoples minds. Even body builders lift weights.  

Only an enthusiast understands that the sport of weightlifting means the Olympic style.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seems like as far back as I can remember,  weightlifting is an event the U.S.  has never been competitive in.  

If that chick from the Philippines that trained lifting 5 gallon water jugs can win gold, you would think with as many
lifters as we have in this country,  we would at least take 1 or 2 medals each olympics.

View Quote

Grip strength has some funny distributions over various populations.

There has been a lot of research into it.

Some groups can be 'picked out.'

There is an identified group in Sweden that has a specific haplotype in their
genetics that gives than an advantage in weightlifting.

As we gain more knowledge about what all that "useless" DNA we carry around
we are finding out it is the "rest of the code" that makes us what we are.
Early DNA research could only detect "protein synthesis" portions of DNA.
We knew the markers that started and ended protein coding in the DNA.
What all the other stuff was doing we had no idea.
Thus in the 1980 to 1990 time period large portions of human DNA came to be
labeled as "useless."
As our knowledge has increased we have found what that DNA does.

There are certain genetic characteristics that give someone carrying them an
advantage in weight lifting.
One is the contractile fibers in the persons muscles are longer and stronger.
They have a genetic advantage that makes their muscle fibers more suited to weightlifting.

There has been much research into why certain African tribes seem to excel at long distance running.

We are only all the same at certain shallow things.

The ABO blood group system seems very widespread, but there are a few 'kinks' in localized areas.
And different groups tend to have varying distributions.
We have no idea why.

A: 43% Caucasians, 27% Blacks, 28% Asians
B: 9% Caucasians, 20% Blacks, 27% Asians
A1: 34% Caucasians, 19% Blacks, 27% Asians
Note: Does not include AB blood groups (1).

Why are A & A1 so heavily present in Caucasians?
Does it mean anything?
Or is it just pure chance and the cause is lost to the sands of time.

We can identify 'race' from skeletons.
At least for Caucasian, Black, and Asian.
But not in all parts of the world.
The Indian subcontinent has smeared the races pretty thoroughly.
One thing that remains relatively easy to determine is sex, as in male or female.
Women of all races tend to have a wider pelvis than men.
Their bones are not usually as dense either.
Or as long as men's bones.

As an engineer I learned how to use anthropomorphic tables to size equipment
to 'fit' the largest portion of the population that would be likely to use it.
It was an interesting example of how NOT identical we are.

Taller people have an advantage on the basketball court.
It is what it is.
It probably means nothing more than that.

Since taller people have an advantage you would expect them to be attracted to that sport.
We can probably be rather assured it was not anyone's "intent" as the sport was created.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd imagine that a lot of the elite strength talent in the US gets funneled into organizations like the NFL, where they can earn millions and millions with their abilities, rather than focusing on competitive Oly lifting.
View Quote

Yup.

Money, fame, women.

Even at younger ages, you can be on the HS football team and get bitches, or focus on Oly lifting and... hmmm.... decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Power lifters lift a weight, therefore they are weight lifters in many peoples minds. Even body builders lift weights.  

Only an enthusiast understands that the sport of weightlifting means the Olympic style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clip vs magazine.

Many people are wrong. The sport is called weightlifting. Just because many people are ignorant doesn't mean words no longer mean things. lifting weights =/= weightlifter.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Gabi Butler is a 23 year old cheerleader from a Netflix show, Cheer. She has millions of fans, has been on tv, started in a Netflix show, etc.

Her main stunt partner, Kollin Cockrell, clean and jerked 395-405 lbs in multiple sanctioned weightlifting competitions. When he was 19 years old.

He has obtained much more fame and money throwing around professional cheerleaders, giving clinics, etc than he ever would have in Olympic lifting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol

Strongman Brian Shaw meets CrossFit

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Many people are wrong. The sport is called weightlifting. Just because many people are ignorant doesn't mean words no longer mean things. lifting weights =/= weightlifter.
View Quote

So don’t call people not in the Olympics “olympic lifters”
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

olympic lifting = weightlifting
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Olympic lifter =/= olympic lifter
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lmao

the sport is weightlifting. It can also be called oly, or olympic weightlifting. It can also be done outside of the olympics....it's the STYLE that "olympic" describes, not the place.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bro, he's fuckin with you so hard.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Roids, too many roids.  Plus our women lifters have pickles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clip vs magazine.

Actually by the rules of our language it does. It is only when you are discussing the sport of weightlifting does it become inaccurate.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Suspiciously commie avatar....
View Quote

Yeah but I convert to pounds but them label them in kilos.  

Which is how I set several world records in my weight class last week.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The snatch and the clean and jerk are the two lifts done for Olympic weightlifting.  Those two lifts are what some people are referring to when they use the term “weightlifting”.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

lmao

the sport is weightlifting. It can also be called oly, or olympic weightlifting. It can also be done outside of the olympics....it's the STYLE that "olympic" describes, not the place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lmao

Lol. He is jerking your chain.

But not a clean and jerk, of course.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I know
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Actually by the rules of our language it does. It is only when you are discussing the sport of weightlifting does it become inaccurate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clip vs magazine.

and what do you think we're discussing right now?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clip vs magazine.

Weight lifter =/= weightlifter
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clip vs magazine.

This is what I get for trying to teach you walnuts something.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

many people are ignorant

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ours don't use drugs
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Olympic weightlifting is not body building. About all they have in common is the use of weights.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Because we do fine in bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, etc.  The largest, strongest, fastest men in the world are NFL linemen.  Let the rest of the world hold onto amateur weightlifting.
View Quote

More important in there is the bit about lineman, and athletes in general.

All of the world class weightlifters are amazingly athletic. People with that kind of coordination and speed almost definitely have other more lucrative athletic pursuits available to them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we should stop the charade and just let everyone use a fuck ton of drugs in all competition.

Let's see how far we can push human abilities with drugs.

hellyeahbrother.gif

I was chatting with a buddy a couple years ago talking about this. He said "do you want to watch a clean competition or not?!?" I said "I don't give a fuck if it's a clean competition, if I want to watch a mediocre lifter I can video myself, I want to see a roided up beast snatch a house"

Fuck it, most are already doping anyway. Who cares as long as it's an even playing field.

Yep. Let's see huge monstrosities clean and jerk 2,500lbs.

Let's see 2min miles.

Let's just do it already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAdG-iTilWU

I saw the thumbnail and knew it was here. Was scrolling through this thread waiting for someone to post it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#37]
If you guys want to see something great skip to about 4:15

Hidilyn Diaz wins the Philippines' first-ever Olympic gold medal | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Depends, some people just don't want to take something they enjoy and do it until they burn out.

A guy in my area was invited to "USA shooting" to do trap.He said no, he doesn't want to do it until he sick of it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDAFZFL1fGg
View Quote

What about it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just imagine if the state of Florida played rugby at every level instead of football. They would probably field the best rugby team in the world.

Now add in top level athletes from TX, CA, PA, OK and OH. The world wouldn’t stand a chance. The US has been slowly creeping up in the rugby world with imported players and college footballers that can’t  make the next level.

We do well in lots of other events because there is money, some of it because they are college sports, some from TV, some because it is a niche rich persons sport.

Oly style weight lifting fits none of that and as it has been pointed out, money sports get the best athletes.
View Quote

Money may play a part in it,  but there is no money in swimming either.  Yet we still have several athletes that dominate in the pool.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Some of you all need to watch the first 5 minutes of this video. The little guy is the only world class weightlifter. The others are a world class crossfitter, powerlifter, and bodybuilder.

The sport of weightlifting is not about who is strongest. It is about who is best at doing those particular lifts. And refined technique combined with raw athleticism favors raw strength any day.

Brute Showdown Episode 2: Max Clean & Grace
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is the lady that trained with water jugs tied to a stick and won gold.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh wait, you were serious?

View Quote
Ours don't use as many drugs.

Also no one gives a rats ass about Olympic weightlifting in the US, so we have a very small pool of talent to draw from. Most athletically gifted youngsters gravitate towards football, baseball, track and field, etc. In other countries weightlifting is a huge deal and they train weightlifting from a young age. Here it is basically a niche sport.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What about it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about it?

New record? A weightlifter winning her country's first gold medal ever, and the genuine excitement?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Wow, that's crazy- I didn't know that. Talk about dedication.

I thought you were fucking with me at first lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Money may play a part in it,  but there is no money in swimming either.  Yet we still have several athletes that dominate in the pool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sports that require very specialized equipment and facilities tend to favor countries where there is heavy investment in that type of infrastructure and coaching.

The US decided generations ago that swimming should be a thing. We put pools in every community. Nearly every high school has a swimming team.

What's more surprising to me is our success in gymnastics.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some of you all need to watch the first 5 minutes of this video. The little guy is the only world class weightlifter. The others are world class crossfitters, powerlifter, and bodybuilder.

The sport of weightlifting is not about who is strongest. It is about who is best as doing those particular lifts. And refined technique combined with raw athleticism favors raw strength any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1I4oZrZQXU
View Quote

That's why I love weightlifting. The perfect blend of strength and technique.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8LjQWJXNc0

I just looked up, the heaviest weight category clean and jerk record is 581#, roughly. I think the strongman log press world record is somewhere around 500 pounds. Now the clean and jerk dude isn't going to next go pick up a 600 pound atlas stone and walk with it, either.

With the oly lifts, the technique is just amazing and built over a lifetime. Making the most of strength with technique. They just jump under the bar , ass on the ground. Really impressive. Whereas strongman, is just that. A feat of almost pure strength.

Of course it also takes technique and is also harder than it looks. Me doing some Merican oly lifting a few years back.....

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8LjQWJXNc0

lol yeah, 135# is meaningless. Put some real weight on the bar and see what happens when he can't get away with terrible technique.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

New record? A weightlifter winning her country's first gold medal ever, and the genuine excitement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about it?

Oh. Yeah. I just already saw that highlight and thought you were pointing out something technical.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top