Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
People object to it because of the vomitous mass of sledgehammered assholes they see protesting for its legalization.

Come on!  Like Joe Rogan?  Montel Williams?

Fear Factor dude and Cue Ball are the best they got???

Hoolywood types advocating even a great thing like cotton underwear are reason enuf for me to go back to wool skiivies.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok.  Four pages so far, and it still seems like the antis are going for the I hate hippies arguement and nothing more.  ).

And that's more than enuf!

Ever smelled  a hippie? Damm. Just damm.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want to legalize weed, good for you.  Just don't try to cloak your efforts in the guise of promoting "hemp" for industrial purposes.  

And for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT pretend you are in any way defending the Second Amendment.

Why not?  Jack Miller and Loyd Franklin (as in the famous 2A USSC case US v Miller) were both moonshiners and runners.  

No decent person would have gone out of there way to help either of those two criminals (until they were caught crossing state lines with a sawed off that is).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hoolywood types advocating even a great thing like cotton underwear are reason enuf for me to go back to wool skiivies.

Ha!  You just go ahead and do that!

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok.  Four pages so far, and it still seems like the antis are going for the I hate hippies arguement and nothing more.  The vast majority of people who want industrial hemp are farmers because it's so easy to grow and take care of and has so many uses.  All this "you just want it legalized so you can smoke weed all day" arguement really makes little sense when industrial hemp is impossible to smoke to any effect due to the trace amounts of THC.  Just another emotional knee jerk reaction to a non-issue(see guns . . again).

ETA: To the guy who said hemps just a weed, you're pretty much right.  The vast majority of marijuana eradication (~99%) goes to spending hundreds of millions of dollars cutting down hemp that grows naturally on the side of the road.

Lay off the pipe and READ!!!!  I posted this ABOVE but you are too STONED to SEE it.

Hemp is a noxious weed. Sure, bring it back as a fiber crop but you will need a LOT of herbicide to keep it on the field. It is worse than ragweeds because birds carry the seeds.

There are MUCH better fiber crops. Hemp paper? Needs lots of bleaching to make a product comparable to FARMED trees. Hemp clothing? The lowest quality fabrics. Hemp rope? Weak and short lived. Hemp oil? A low quality oil with minimal yield per acre.

We live in a world of specialization agriculture. Hemp does no task with any superiority, therefore its cultivation was far out of favor BEFORE the Harrison Act.

Gee, some of you should just lay off the pipe.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok.  Four pages so far, and it still seems like the antis are going for the I hate hippies arguement and nothing more.  

Well, you did ask.  

I didn't know you expected a seventeen-point treatise outlining my arguments and counterarguments.

ETA: Oh, and Joe Rogaine and Montel can both smoke a turd in hell as far as I'm concerned, I have no use for either one of them.

Well, maybe as fertilizer for my hemp crop.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Show me an organization that promotes industrial hemp use and decries the use of pot for recreational purposes.  Maybe such a group exists but I have no reason to believe in them any more than the Easter bunny.

IHA - International Hemp Association, for one. There are others.

I've seen drug use harm too many friends and family.  I have no tolerance for it.

That's fine, as long as you recognize that putting your friends and family in jail would not be a good approach to the problem.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you want to legalize weed, good for you.  Just don't try to cloak your efforts in the guise of promoting "hemp" for industrial purposes.  

Ok, so you didn't pay any attention at all to what I said.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I believe that is a habit I will cultivate vigorously in the future.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
People object to it because of the vomitous mass of sledgehammered assholes they see protesting for its legalization.

Come on!  Like Joe Rogan?  Montel Williams?

Fear Factor dude and Cue Ball are the best they got???

I'm not sure about joe rogan, but you may want to read a little on montel Gman.

montel

not to try to pull the foot out of your mouth or anything.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

montel

The fact that a well-known person holds an opinion has ZERO bearing on how I form my opinion.

You may want to try that.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that is a habit I will cultivate vigorously in the future.

Well, you certainly should before you try to respond to what you think I said, but didn't, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The fact that a well-known person holds an opinion has ZERO bearing on how I form my opinion.

Uuuuh, yeah, we coulda guessed that there would be zero bearings on your opinion.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]
www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/indust/INDHMPFR.HTM

www.ecolution.com/hemp%20info/farming/

www.kenex.com/english/Default.htm

releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=43939

You could read and learn or keep being ignorant.  Try to be intelectualy honest and disreguard your bias.

I do have an agenda.  It is health driven.  There is a huge cotton farming industry around here and the chemicals make people sick.  When you drive past the cotton fields after the poisons have been sprayed you are sick for several days to several weeks. If you live in a metropolitan area you probably never experience this.  There are millions of us that do however and we don't like it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok.  Four pages so far, and it still seems like the antis are going for the I hate hippies arguement and nothing more.  

Well, you did ask.  

I didn't know you expected a seventeen-point treatise outlining my arguments and counterarguments.

ETA: Oh, and Joe Rogaine and Montel can both smoke a turd in hell as far as I'm concerned, I have no use for either one of them.

you need to read too.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

montel

sorry, I guess his real world credentials don't beat your "he's a tv personality" line.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#19]
bet you drink right..........different????  I don't see it.
just a thought.  I personaly could care less bout what ppeople are doing in their homes.  supprised to hear such negative comments among this croud as i thought that we were all pretty in favor of our personal freedoms, weather you like to shoot, build, collect firearms or smoke a plant.  You sound a bit like the anti-gun foks and war protesters who are uninformed, uneducated and ignorant
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey, I just ordered some hemp shampoo  No, really, I did.  

I don't have that much hair left, but we'll see if this does anything one way or another.  

Anyone got any granola?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No, I don't drink, either.

I like reality, and don't see any reason to temporarily alter my perception of reality chemically.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I don't drink, either.

I like reality, and don't see any reason to temporarily alter my perception of reality chemically.

Glad to know that you are superior to most of the world.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

montel

sorry, I guess his real world credentials don't beat your "he's a tv personality" line.

I'm not even sure what that means.

I just prefer to form my own opinions.

I don't care who else beleives what, TV personality or otherwise.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you did ask.  

you need to read too.

I didn't see anything in there that would credit him as an authority on hemp.  Lighting a joint doesn't make anyone an expert.

My biggest problem with the whole damn subject boils down to this:  

There may be worthwhile side effects that help people in chronic pain.

There may be a compelling reason to grow hemp instead of cotton for fiber harvesting.

But I cannot stand these reasons being used as excuses by someone who just likes to get high, and has no real interest in the actual benefits of hemp.  They just want to ride the coattails of legitimate interests for whatever reason (to feel better about smoking, to drive the price down, whatever).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you did ask.  

you need to read too.

I didn't see anything in there that would credit him as an authority on hemp.  Lighting a joint doesn't make anyone an expert.

My biggest problem with the whole damn subject boils down to this:  

There may be worthwhile side effects that help people in chronic pain.

There may be a compelling reason to grow hemp instead of cotton for fiber harvesting.

But I cannot stand these reasons being used as excuses by someone who just likes to get high, and has no real interest in the actual benefits of hemp.  They just want to ride the coattails of legitimate interests for whatever reason (to feel better about smoking, to drive the price down, whatever).

Dam man! Listen to yourself!  You don't want a product to be brought to market because of your hate for some people that might enjoy something that is similar?  That's like saying I don't think automobiles should be legal because some asshole kid likes to drag race through my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Jeebus...not everyone who smokes pot is a hippie.  As a matter of fact, I'll say this: I know many people who smoke pot, and I don't know any "hippies."  All of the people I know who do it have been self supporting since they left high school, have their own businesses, or have worked at the same job for years, and have been contributing members of society for decades.  

Now, without fail, the alchoholics I know who are still drinking are useless pieces of shit who are a blot on society.  Perennially out of work, in trouble with the law, low life mother******* who really shouldn't be drawing breath at this point in life, and MUCH more likely to kill/injure you or a loved one out on the highway than a pot head.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#27]
It bears repeating.  Hemp offers NO advantage to specialized crops some claim it can replace.

Cotton?  Not even close.  The bleaching required to make hemp as white as cotton is an environmental disaster.  No cheaper or better since bleaching destroys the fiber.  Cotton requires no bleaching.

Oil crops?  It cannot provide the yield that soybeans do.  And cotton produces more oil per acre.

Cotton can be dryland farmed.  And the defoilants used on cotton are nothing more than mineral salts.  Sodium chlorate which decomposes rapidly into sodium chloride.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It bears repeating.  Hemp offers NO advantage to specialized crops some claim it can replace.

Cotton?  Not even close.  The bleaching required to make hemp as white as cotton is an environmental disaster.  No cheaper or better since bleaching destroys the fiber.  Cotton requires no bleaching.

Oil crops?  It cannot provide the yield that soybeans do.  And cotton produces more oil per acre.

Cotton can be dryland farmed.  And the defoilants used on cotton are nothing more than mineral salts.  Sodium chlorate which decomposes rapidly into sodium chloride.

Sodium chloride in the soil as the result of cotton farming is a big problem in the central valley of California right now.

Hemp offers some benefits, but I would agree that it isn't a revolutionary solution to a whole bunch of problems.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Keep repeating that and you might even get someone to believe it. Those harmless mineral salts make a bunch of people sick. That is a fact. Snake venom is a natural product too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Dam man! Listen to yourself!  You don't want a product to be brought to market because of your hate for some people that might enjoy something that is similar?  

No, I'm merely saying that the only hemp proponents I ever see are primarily concerned with the freedom to smoke a joint and secondarily, if at all, concerned with legitimate uses of hemp -- though they would have you believe the converse.

It's like having Lee Harvey Oswald lobbying for "hunting rifles" when you know damn well he's not going to be shooting any deer with them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dam man! Listen to yourself!  You don't want a product to be brought to market because of your hate for some people that might enjoy something that is similar?  

No, I'm merely saying that the only hemp proponents I ever see are primarily concerned with the freedom to smoke a joint and secondarily, if at all, concerned with legitimate uses of hemp -- though they would have you believe the converse.

It's like having Lee Harvey Oswald lobbying for "hunting rifles" when you know damn well he's not going to be shooting any deer with them.

You will find stupid people on any issue. Why are you more concerned about them than the actual issue?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Canada, most of the hemp doesn't go into shoes or clothing, it goes into biodegradable housing materials, cooking oils, and plastics.  

And since when am I a pothead?  I'm signed up with the government.

ETA: The arguement against hemp by so many gun-owners really is the ultimate paradox, especially when they talk about how satisfying it would be to kill a hippie with their gun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Here you go, this is from Patrick Moore... 60's left-over, Co-Founder of Greenpeace, environmentalist, and now avowed Greenpeace enemy.

Link to what HIPPIES need to know about HEMP
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Here you go, this is from Patrick Moore... 60's left-over, Co-Founder of Greenpeace, environmentalist, and now avowed Greenpeace enemy.

Link to what HIPPIES need to know about HEMP

This article is only about using hemp as paper.  He forgot to mention the thousands of other uses for it that trees could never provide.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Why the hell are so many people obsessed with hemp and pot?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]
How about this wacky idea????? Let the FREE MARKET DECIDE!!!!! I mean as far as i can tell the reason why "hemp" is illegal to grow is because of the whole "war on drugs" and protection of industries that might be hurt by Hemp production. What other reason could there be? That the Govt shook a magic 8 ball and it said "This endeavor will fail????"  So if the hippies are wrong..................Prove'em wrong! Let'em grow hemp and then when it turns out to be a bust we can point and laugh and buy more stock in Exxon-Mobile petroleum products. But if it turns out to be good, how bout this we make hemp ropes then hang all those against hemp by their buster browns! Deal????
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top