Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
1In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3And they were calling to one another:

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;

the whole earth is full of his glory.”

4At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

5“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread is full of fuck
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't read your bible or you would know this one.    Out of the heart the mouth speaks.   Luke 6:45, Matthew 15:18, or James 3:6.  Being around people who curse is like chewing sand.  I know what they are made of is flowing out and that's not what I want to be.   Remember you are who you hang out with.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Nada fucking clue.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You don't read your bible or you would know this one.    Out of the heart the mouth speaks.   Luke 6:45, Matthew 15:18, or James 3:6.  Being around people who curse is like chewing sand.  I know what they are made of is flowing out and that's not what I want to be.   Remember you are who you hang out with.

Where's the list of words that are forbidden?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The list would be meaningless because modern English did not exist at the time.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The list would be meaningless because modern English did not exist at the time.

But, but, but, the bible says so!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Oh. You're right. Every railroader on Earth, ever, is going to hell. Fuuuuuuuuck.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe it goes something like this:

The Lord created the entire Universe and Man is the only animal with speech. That speech should be used to praise the Lord as we each see his glory in Creation. The gift of speech should be used for holy words, not potty language.

Does that logic make sense?

You don't have to agree with, but you asked what the motivation is for holy rollers to look askance at potty language, so there you have it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh. You're right. Every railroader on Earth, ever, is going to hell. Fuuuuuuuuck.

Pretty sure there was a box to check somewhere on the application to make sure you're fluent in French. Also something about being a smart ass, and plane asshole as well
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Lord created the entire Universe and Man is the only animal with speech. That speech should be used to praise the Lord as we each see his glory in Creation. The gift of speech should be used for holy words, not potty language.

You don't have to agree with, but you asked what the motivation is for holy rollers to look askance at potty language, so there you have it.

Still hasn't answered who and why certain words are considered curse words.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I glorify God with my works. You can glorify God with your expelled gases.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Profanity is the words you use when you run out of intelligent things to say.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I probably cuss to much, drink a little, I go to church, active in our church and Im a beliver..... but cuss words still slip from my lips...it happens
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using the Lords name frivolously, and likewise calling for a judgement or a curse that is the purview of a deity,  is insulting and a form of defamation or fraud.  The other words that are considered crude and vulgar are determined by the society you are in.  Fuck class and sex ed. could be considered to be synonyms.  As are cunt and vagina.  Society has determined one to be a clinical description and the other vulgar.  Christians are to avoid such crude and vulgar language because it is not the kind of rapport that Christians are to portray.  You could say it portrays the franchise in a negative light, much like if a sales rep would show up at a meeting dressed in torn up jeans and a stained t-shirt.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ephesians 5:4 ~Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

Ok, I'm a heathen. I participate in GD, haven of filthiness, foolish talk, and crude joking.

Me too.  And gosh darnit, all  this talk about thanksgiving makes me hungry.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've leaned over more than one table at a restaurant and asked the patrons to refrain from such language. (EVERY time....they were embarrassed that it reached that point and apologized).  

You want to use offensive words among your friends....fine by me, but when I (or my wife) has to put up with it, I'll let you know.

Our society is full of people not giving a crap about how their actions effect others.

I was raised in a different era, I guess. I still care if I offend someone and don't go out of my way to do so.

Morals....remember them?

What makes them offensive?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ephesians 5:4 ~Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

Ok, I'm a heathen. I participate in GD, haven of filthiness, foolish talk, and crude joking.

I fucking LOVE turkey!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've leaned over more than one table at a restaurant and asked the patrons to refrain from such language. (EVERY time....they were embarrassed that it reached that point and apologized).  

You want to use offensive words among your friends....fine by me, but when I (or my wife) has to put up with it, I'll let you know.

Our society is full of people not giving a crap about how their actions effect others.

I was raised in a different era, I guess. I still care if I offend someone and don't go out of my way to do so.

Morals....remember them?

To paraphrase Marcus Aurelius (not the Bible OMGZ), one is offended only when one believes ones self offended.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Morals....remember them?

To paraphrase Marcus Aurelius (not the Bible OMGZ), one is offended only when one believes ones self offended.

That's deep.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#21]
1- Thessalonians 5:6
Ephesians 4:29
Colossians 3:8
Titus 2:8
James 1:26
James 3:9-10

There are many more references in the bible concerning the speech and behavior
of believers. Like lots of other things, cussing and Christianity do not go together.
No one is perfect and all have sinned but many are blind and deceived.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That's deep.

I'm proper wasted at this point. But you get the point.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe if you look at it this way- We want to hear you spout out all that foul stuff from your mouth about as much as you want to hear an anti gun spout out all the fouls stuff from theirs. Did you ever think to have a bit of respect for the person you are talking to ?  What ever happened to a bit of respect for the person that has to listen to that ?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Because as a believer, we are to not to let our mouths praise the Lord one moment, then curse something the next.  We all fall, and when I'm startled, hurt, or very upset I regrettably let cursing flow from my mouth.  It is something I constantly try and work on.  As far as what makes a word vile, it is what it is in context to.  I am not going to worry if someone is hurt, or if another serious circumstance happens and I hear profanity.  What is puzzling is when every other word out of their mouth is profane.  That makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As for the rest of the time, I've got a large vocabulary, so I'm not swearing out of an impoverished vocabulary.

At least your foot traffic wasn't accosted.

LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#26]
when I was a teenager, my step-dad would always say don't you Fucking say Fuck in this Fucking House. and he was serious.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:08:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

"Profanity is a weak mind trying to express itself strongly".

Fuck that retarded shit...

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:23:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Trouble making Atheist?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:33:54 AM EDT
[#30]
the "succubus" episode of south park will explain everything for you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Profanity and cursing is one thing. A superstitious shunning of any four letter word is another. You can say "I stepped in dog poop" and be fine but say "I stepped in dog shit" and people get offended. I don't hang out with people like that by choice, but I am related to them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
General Patton says:

Spit out that cock wad and speak louder, YOU DAINTY MOUTHED WHORE!

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I live in the Bible Belt and almost everyone I know, including myself, is a Christian.  I learned to cuss from many of them.  I have figured out that you won't go to Hell for saying shit, fuck or goddamn.  You just won't be asked to pray at the next fucking covered dish supper or asked to teach Sunday School.  Although, my Dad was a deacon in the Baptist church, Sunday school teacher and is now an Elder in the Presbyterian church.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because they are allowing not staying on track with what they should. It is a problem within a lot of churches, there is more focus on petty meaningless things rather then the message itself.

Yes, yes, yes.  Yes, yes.  Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Church has become all about a fake, holy as a saint image.

That said, some people may feel that not using profanity helps them stay on track with God.  All the best to them.

I personally stay away from using the Lord's name in vain, but don't get too bothered with other profanity.  I could be wrong about it though, I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:50:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I draw a difference between crude language and taking the Lord's name in vain. As long as ladies and children aren't present a fuck or a shit isn't going to hurt anything. Remember, only cuss if you mean it.

Which do you consider "taking the Lord's name in vain?

a) "God damn the IRS."

b) The used car salesman with the Ichthys on his sign that prays on the poor by charging $100/wk for 2 years for a worn out piece of shit.

c) TV preachers with their big tit wives, gold jewelry and Rolls Royce.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#36]
not judging but if it's on your tongue it's in your heart.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#37]
well as someone who had 6 years of Benedictine education I can definitely say it's because it's a sin. if the profanity you referring to is sex based it's a sin because it involves impure thoughts. If it uses the Lord's name in vain it is a sin because it's blasphemy and taking the Lord's name in vain. and you can certainly see where saying "Jesus fucking Christ" might be a problem.
that being said, I am a sailor and I haven't been to  a Catholic church other than weddings, graduations and funerals in 35 years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What's the big fucking deal?

I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant household where even the utterance of "dang" was demonized. I understand not taking the Lord's name in vain, but I'm just talking about your regular, everyday shit talk.

I also understand but disagree with those that think foul language makes one unable to clearly communicate if they use fucking cuss words. This thread ain't about that, so kiss my cock if you post here demeaning my ability to make my point with dirty words.

I was talking to a churchgoing neighbor yesterday who was trying everywhichway to dance around the truth about something without outright lying and I called him out for blowing smoke up my ass. I knew he was fucking lying, or wanted to, and said as much. He feigned insult at my coarse speech. Now, he was just being a chickenshit about the whole ordeal, but the question struck me.

Why do holy rollers look down on people for using profanity?

You asked a serious question, so here is my serious answer.  The Bible has a great deal to say about speech, most of it can be wrapped up here:

“Let the sayings of my mouth and the meditation of my heart become pleasurable before you, O Jehovah.” (Psalm 19:14)

I don't use God's name in vain, we are clearly told not to.  There is a time and place for most other verbiage (even the harsh stuff), but I think that using bad language all the time is not what is expected so I'm going to keep that in reserve for appropriate times (someone breaking into the house, someone trying to start trouble, someone messing with my family, etc.).  We don't know what was actually said, but I believe that when Jesus drove the money changers from the temple he didn't mince words and they weren't sweet, but we'll never know.

I am not a "religious person" just some Christian dude doing his best.

My thoughts, perhaps not yours, peace my friend.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does society label certain words as offensive?  It's an interesting question and I don't have a clue as to the answer, but we all know every society does it.  The point with respect to Christians is, we aren't supposed to offend others with our speech.  The Bible is full of warnings about how the way you speak can get you into trouble.  One could just as easily ask the same question about prohibited words on this very forum.  I can think of at least one word that will earn you some form of negative reaction from site staff.  In fact, isn't it fair to say that the way one speaks is far and away the most common reason people get banned from this forum?  Where is Arfcom's list of prohibited words, or where is the list of things you can't say?  Here, it's called the CoC.  For Christians, it's the Bible.  Neither has an enumeration for obvious reasons.

And by the way, that same rule applies to Christians who would speak down to others out of self-righteousness. Christians aren't to "look down on" anyone per the OP's question.  Christians are to put everyone else first and to be humble towards all.  If they're looking on others from any direction, it should be looking up rather than looking down.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Worry, anxiety, and foul language are a waste of your imagination. Try not to indulge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I really don't give a fuck what people think of me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Profanity is the linguistic crutch of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why does society label certain words as offensive?  It's an interesting question and I don't have a clue as to the answer, but we all know every society does it.

Because the purpose of words is to communicate ideas.  Sometimes you want to communicate an offensive thought, so we end up with words that aren't used in typical conversation.  That way, when they are used, the idea is that you're saying something that's beyond the ordinary.  That's why there's a difference between telling your girlfriend "You know, I've been with you all day, and you seem kind of touchy."  and "You're acting like a cunt".  Same basic idea, but different magnitude and message that you're trying to convey.

As for Christians, there are mutliple instructions about our speech that we'll all fail to follow at various times.  I'm not going to make it a point to fail, though.  And as a practical matter for the non-religious, excessive language makes you sound stupid.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Sometimes I think society in general uses profanity as measure of conformity.

IMO it's like giving out speeding tickets to make us feel things are in order, while all this other evil shits going down.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For some people, religion is about appearing to be good rather than simply being good.

This should be dipped in gold and posted at the top of every religious thread
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm not especially religious, but I find that people who can't express themselves without a constant stream of profanity are usually not someone with whom I like to associate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, I don't get it. I also don't get how many churches view alcohol as the devil. Many Christians go to church and never study the Bible beyond the text of John 3:16. The Bible is both an account of the life, teaching and works Jesus Christ AND a rich and vibrant history of the Jewish people. Even if you are not a Christian, it is definitely worth the read from a historical standpoint.

I am pretty sure I almost got kicked out of a Baptist church when I was a teenager. A very old, well dressed man (think the stereotypical Republican if you are a socialist Democrat or hipster) was preaching in the hallway about how anyone who has ever had a sip of alcohol was going to hell. I said, quite loudly in retort, "If that is true, I will drink alcohol specifically so I can go to hell to meet Jesus when I get there." You could have heard a pin drop.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Sound like your parents were trying to teach you manners.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm not especially religious, but I find that people who can't express themselves without a constant stream of profanity are usually not someone with whom I like to associate.

+1

When I started getting a potty mouth as a kid, my grandfather sat me down and told me that morons and idiots use profanity to stress their point.

He then showed me how low-life's act and speak vs. men of integrity and character.  Has nothing to do with religion, but the amount of profanity coming from one's mouth is inversely proportional to his character.

Gramp's was right.  Throughout my life the very worst of people I have met have one thing in common.  They use profanity all the time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, Piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucher, motherfucker and tits.

What I've always wondered about religious fanatics, is why is it that they never talk about Jesus? It's always Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. "Have you found Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus yet?"
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top