Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I work in the semiconductor industry. There's three places where I can work in the US: Silicon Valley (CA), Austin, TX, and Fishkill, NY (home of IBM)

If I go to the high tech capital of the world, I'm in Asia, where I can't even own a gun.

There's more to life than gun ownership. I'd rather feed my family than be able to own an AR-15 with all the goodies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Except for the higher murder rates, armed assaults, armed robberies and property crimes, it's safer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm stuck here until i graduate.  after that, i will be moving to a free state.  unless, of course, upstate NY secedes from the oppressors from the city.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Because that's where I found the training best suited for me.  Large medical centers (with a few exceptions) tend to be in major urban areas, which are often in anti-gun areas.

Baltimore? Because that's where I wanted to go to med school, and the trauma experience is outstanding - drug wars and heavy traffic are good for learning.

Boston? Arguably some of the best anesthesia training in the country, and that's where the magic residency matching computer said I was going.

Now? Back in Idaho and loving it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reading the story about that guy in Mass. who shot a stray dog that bit him, and then lost his firearms license for it got me thinking about this.

Why do people choose to live in places where their gun rights are hated and restricted to the greatest extent possible? Pro gun people who live in states like MA, CA, NY, IL, NJ, CT, they boggle my mind. I could understand people who live in close states like PA, OH or MN, places where if pro gunners left then the state would go anti, but places like MA, CA, NY, IL, etc are hardcore anti gun and there is no changing that. These are places that are actively inventing new gun control schemes and working hard to eliminate gun rights and disarm people. Places that are waaaay beyond the point of no return.

Why do you stay?

You're thinking too statically. Ex: "State X is anti-gun. Period. Don't ever live there. No matter what."

In reality, the world is a dynamic place. Everyone is constantly reacting to a multitude of influences. Nothing ever stands still. Any philosophy or movement that isn't growing or advancing is dying. Such as freedom and gun rights.

If we declare some areas to be the property of the enemy and leave them, then we have only achieved a temporary peace. The enemy isn't standing still either - if they don't have to fight for the territory they have, they will go after new territory, i.e. your areas. If we want to defeat the enemy, we have to go to where they are and fight them. If you want to lose, then run away and let them come to you and fight you.

It is a personal decision whether to stay in an anti-gun state and fight for your rights. You can run away to peace and relative safety if you wish. But don't claim that you're supporting freedom by doing so - you're hurting it.

That's bullshit. It's not like a war where you are inflicting casualties on the enemy forces by staying there and fighting. This is politics and when the enemy has a clear majority in a place then it wins.

Now tell me, and be honest. Do you really think that you will ever see the gun owners in California or Massachusetts overturn their assault weapons bans, or licensing schemes, or get shall issue concealed carry? I do not, and I'll tell you why: There is simply too much of the population that opposes such things.

However, if the progun people who live in anti gun states moved to states where there are a majority of progun  people and became registered voters then they would be helping to ensure the survival of gun rights in these pro gun places.

Look at Colorado. When I lived in Colorado back in 2000 they had no assault weapons ban and you could legally keep a loaded gun (handgun or rifle in your car). But Colorado was also being flooded by Californians. What did those Californians do? Well the pushed property values through the roof, elected more democrats to government and now there is a complete ban on Assault Weapons in Denver. To the point where as I understand it you can't even drive through the city limits with an "Assault Weapon" in your trunk.

Look at New York. Look at what has happened there. The antis have been so successful that New York has an Anti governor and an anti mayor in NYC...BOTH REPUBLICANS! And now the anti Mayor of NYC has developed balls enough to insist that other states implement stronger gun controll. The progun people in Vermont and Maine could probably use some additional support right now fighting off the anti gun attacks on their state. But oh, the progun people in NY decided to stay and fight for freedom. Sorry, Maine, sorry Vermont, hope you guys pull through but there aren't going to be an new progun registered voters in your future. Hope your pro gun populations are large enough and vocal enough to fight off the antis. Hope you don't go the way of NY.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i'm stuck here until i graduate.  after that, i will be moving to a free state.  unless, of course, upstate NY secedes from the oppressors from the city.....

Viva la révolution. It almost happened in 1964, it can happen again.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats a dam goo question!!!

House forsale!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Because I'm 15 with no money and my parents are communists who think California is great. That's why i'm still in CA.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have lived in NJ all my life, not easy pulling up the anchor. I've gotten heavily into firearms following 9/11 and discovered how anal NJ is to us, but we have managed with what is legal. The real fun is in PA and VA.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
It's simple:  Because I like it here.  

Guns aren't everything, there are other issues to consider, such as family, work, friends, etc.  I like the state, I like my community, I like most things about it.

Sure, there are some laws that I don't like, and some of them (such as firearms issues) I choose to fight for.  However, as I said, guns aren't everything (and I already have all the guns I want anyway )
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Because it's not easy give give up everything you've created to move.

Quoted for truth...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Woah, 3 NJer's in a row
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It ain't the whole state that's fucked up, just the govt. and those folks who choose to live in Chicago.

Myself, I just like to piss people off.

+1.

Once they lift the state residency requirement, I'm bustin' the cheddar curtain.

Residency requirement for what?

Personally there is more to life for me than just guns. I want to live in Chicago eventually. All guns aside from a pump action shotgun will just have to reside an hour away at my mom's house in WI I guess.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Because some "anti-gun" places aren't as anti-gun as everybody here makes them out to be.

Everybody's favorite whipping boy is California, so let's use that state as an example. It's not difficult to rationalize the decision to remain living there, particuarly when you realize that the state is VERY diverse geographicaly. In other words, get those images of SoCal out of your head, because most of the state isn't that way. It's mostly farm country, to be honest.

In California, you have choices. Do you like the beach? The mountains? 70 degree year round weather? Dramatic changes of season? Suburb living? Urban living? Rural living? Mountain living? Do you like to live in predominantly black areas? Hispanic areas? Asian areas? White areas? Do you prefer a comfortable mix? You can have it any way you want in California. Seriously.

How about cars? Would you like to buy a 30 year old car for $3000 rust-free? Would you like to restore it and drive it around all year, without fear of rust? Do you like motorcycles? You can ride them year round in many parts of the state.

The people in California are generally friendly and easy going. The Californians you guys keep thinking of are the ones who live in the greater LA and SF metropolitan areas. If you take a drive throughout the state, get out of your car and strike up a conversation, you will probably end up talking to a like-minded conservative. Geographically, they're everywhere. The liberals tend to live in clusters, and can't handle the responsibility of living in rural areas.

As for guns, it's clear that the residents of the greater Los Angeles and San Francisco metropolitan areas set policy in this area. While unfortunate, I'd HARDLY consider a legal gun-nut in California to be "unarmed". Many rural counties are damn near shall-issue. There's plenty of firepower available to you, as well. I would NOT feel unarmed with a Garand, or an M1A. Most any pistol worth buying is available - Sigs, HK's, Glocks, a bazillion 1911's, Berettas, etc. Sorry, no Jennings or Lorcins. For all intents and purposes, they freak out over pistol grips on rifles with detachable magazines. So, many military pattered rifles are a no-no as a result.

There's alot of unspoken gun truths and realities as well. I have personally witnessed law enforcement turning a blind eye to unregistered assault weapons in Sierra Nevada communities, and that's no bullshit. I have personally witnessed a man illegally carrying his .357 recieve a verbal warning, a wink, and a nod while having his pistol handed back to him.

For me, moving to Ohio was a no-brainer: My family is here, and it accomodates my lifestyle. Even with my new toys and firearms freedom, there ARE still things I miss about California. I'm never moving back, but it's not hard to imagine why somebody might want to stay. I had ALOT (and I mean ALOT) of friends that I sorely miss.

Asking someone to leave their home and everything they know and love over guns, is asking quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#16]
For me its simple.  My family is here in NJ.  My friends are here in NJ.  My fiance' and my kids are here in NJ.  My gun rights suck in comparison to free states but they are far better then places like CA.  I am hoping eventually people in my state will wake the fuck up and help me get rid of the +40 years if Democrap oppression.  Until then I can still have my ARs as long as they're not called AR's.  ARs are banned by name here.  I can have Saigas or WASRs just not AK's as AKs are banned by name.   One day the worm will turn atleast I hope it will.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
To continue the debate...

Even in the most anti-gun states, you aren't ever completely disarmed, as in Cali, you can have 10 round magazines, and shotguns and "un evil" rifles like WW2 style rifles are left alone...

There are no limits on magazine capacity in Cali.  Only new sales.  I have plenty of 15, 20, 30, 32, 40 & 100 round mags.  I own more AR15 patten rifles than most, but less than some. I CCW everyday. Dont need a permission slip from Local LE to buy a handgun like many states.  Trunk guns are legal.  Hunting with semi autos is legal.  You can CCW while camping without a permit. Open carry while camping, fishing, hunting is permitted.

Like any state, it's what you make of it and knowing the laws well enough to get the maximum benifit withen those laws.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Why?  Cause it's my home.  Great weather, people, area, not to mention friends and family.  Ive thought alot about it and decided that Im most like gonna stay here, I just don't like what other places offer compared to Massachusetts.  And I aready have a job lined up after I get my degree.  Guns are not everything.  And I plan to be LE, and the gun laws for them are alot better(no AW ban and the 98GCA handgun limits don't apply to LEOs).

you want to know whats even more ironic, the states motto is "By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty"

just another Masshole ...justing for my FID (4-6 weeks)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That's bullshit. It's not like a war where you are inflicting casualties on the enemy forces by staying there and fighting. This is politics and when the enemy has a clear majority in a place then it wins.

Now tell me, and be honest. Do you really think that you will ever see the gun owners in California or Massachusetts overturn their assault weapons bans, or licensing schemes, or get shall issue concealed carry? I do not, and I'll tell you why: There is simply too much of the population that opposes such things.

In a word, yes. Anything can happen, and eventually, that almost certainly will. You used the word "ever" - do you think that the political climate will remain the same in those states FOREVER?

Look at all of the huge political changes that happened in this country over the last 20-30 years alone. What made that happen? Conservatives speaking their mind, putting their ideas out there, debating things, and converting people. Certainly not by retreating into safe territory when the going got tough. We now have a Republican in the White House, a Republican-controlled House, a Republican-controlled Senate, and are gradually putting strict-constructionists on the Supreme Court. Wasn't all of this unthinkable in the 60s and 70s?

That's how you do things in politics. The process isn't as fast or dramatic as inflicting casualties in a real war, but it is similar. Think about this - what if there was no gun culture anywhere around you when you were growing up? Your parents and their friends, all the kids around you, all the teachers and other authority figures, all spouted the Brady Bunch line, and there was no internet or anything to contradict them. Do you think you might believe it? Would you still believe it now? What if, instead, there were a couple of gun guys around? Think about it. We're talking about the long term, because that's the way real political change happens.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I was born in NY lived here most of my life
After the military I came back
Have a decent job with a 25 year retirement, got maybe 9 years left ( I hoping less )
I would leave tomorrow if I could !  I would miss my Brothers but I'd leave
I've spent time in other states and have a fondness for places other than NY
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Think about this - what if there was no gun culture anywhere around you when you were growing up? Your parents and their friends, all the kids around you, all the teachers and other authority figures, all spouted the Brady Bunch line, and there was no internet or anything to contradict them. Do you think you might believe it? Would you still believe it now? What if, instead, there were a couple of gun guys around? Think about it. We're talking about the long term, because that's the way real political change happens.

Sounds like the environment that I grew up in. When I was about 6 my parents threw out all of my toy guns because they thought that I was becoming too violent. I didn't fire a gun until I was 18. For some reason I went to a gunshow and ended up buying an SKS (because I could). My mother did everything she could to try and get me to get rid of the gun or get my dad (my parents are divorced) to take it from me.

I lived for years under the oppression of a mildly anti gun state before I moved away. Granted, gun rights weren't my main factor for choosing to move out of Michigan (weather, taxes, declining economy all factored heavily into the equation...more so than gun rights). But now that I have spent a year here in Texas my eyes have been opened.

Back in Michigan there was only one range within an hour of me where I could shoot a rifle, here there are 6 or 7. Back in Michigan I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get a handgun (purchase permit from the PD, buy the gun, go back to the PD and register it...even for a private party sale), but here I just pay for the gun and take it home. Back in Michigan you couldn't keep a rifle in your vehicle and if you had a pistol in your vehicle without a CHL you risked 5 years in the slam. Here you can have a loaded handgun and a loaded rifle in your car legally. And Michigan isn't really what I would consider to be an anti-gun state!!! I couldn't imaging living someplace like NY, NJ or IL.

Call it whatever you will, but I think it is insane to live in a place where your right to defend yourself is viewed with contempt. Especially after reading this story about the man from Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To continue the debate...

Even in the most anti-gun states, you aren't ever completely disarmed, as in Cali, you can have 10 round magazines, and shotguns and "un evil" rifles like WW2 style rifles are left alone... Also, how often do

Seriously though, I don't give a crap about gun laws in comparison to my career. If I was offered a 6 figure finance job by a multinational investment bank in San Fran like some of my friends were, I'd take it without even a hint of hesitation. If I was offered a job by the Houston branch of Citigroup, then whoopie! Best of both worlds, I get a great job AND keep the guns... catch my drift?

And about the rabid dog thing... wouldn't calling animal control, using a can of mace, baseball bat, or sword work as well? Not quite as well as a M4gery with an Eotech i'm sure, but if I had the option of turning in my EBR in exchange for some slightly less fancy weapons and a awesome career, i'd take it. I'm not going to sacrifice my career and opportunity to keep what is (until the SHTF) a fun hobby...

And lastly, do you know anything about expected utility? The probability of NEEDING a gun and gaining utility from it in the event of a robbery/riot/zombies is exceptionally low. The probability of gaining utility from having a nice job and living in a nicer area is exceptionally high... numbers are everything. Uneducated folk buy lottery tickets because they see a representative heuristic, and don't understand the true power of probability. When we round .001 to 0, that means we effectively regard 1/1000 as zero. What are the chances of winning the lottery? A bit less than killing a mugger in your home.

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom; go from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and let posterity forget the ye were our countrymen!"

-Samuel Adams

DAYUMMMM buddy, you just got served...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I live here because oddly enough I own guns but that doesn't make me a "gun person" - my life doesn't revolve around pistol gripped firearms but rather my families life. I make a really good living here in Southern California within the satellite television industry. The weather here can't be beat anywhere in the United States. The people here are honest, hardworking, and open minded, I don't worry about having to beat the horse shit out of someone lipping off about my multi-racial marriage. I live a pretty active life style camping and shooting 12 months a year, enjoying deep sea and some of the finest fly fishing on the entire planet, there's 4x4 action running Rubicon to Glamis, with Los Angeles, San Diego, and even Las Vegas all within a bit of a drive there's plenty of entertainment between Disneyland, Knotts, Six Flags, Sea World, more music concerts than you can shake a stick at, there's skiing up in the mountains (not with my legs!), great food from around the world, and and some of the finest educational opportunities available.

I shoot three or four hours a month blowing $400 dollars or so worth of ammo a month give or take. Some are able to shoot more but going out 12 months a year sure takes it's toll. California has open carry, CCW, and a home is your castle law. Those that believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus believe that firearms are outlawed here. That's just horse shit pure and simple but for those that read the comics for their news they just don't get it. I rarely feel unarmed with my .45 on my hip during my nightly walks nor with a .308 M1A while camping.

I don't understand those that live in areas where the weather is so hostile that they alter their life not shooting for four or months a year. Places where weather routinely destroys homes in huricanes or twisters. Places where jobs are hard to come by, where cars rust away, where home values suck ...

I was born in California, and I have been there several times as an adult. I don't like California much, but not necessarily because of it's gun control. I've actually considered taking jobs in California in the past, but taxes, housing costs, over population in the urban areas and general liberal mindness have kept me away. I was actually surprised when I learned sometime ago that California doesn't require regsitration for long guns and that alot of long guns (Garands, M1As, fixed mag SKSs, etc.) were legal there. I was also surprised when I learned about California's self defense laws and how easily you could get CHLs in some counties.

Although I know I mentioned CA, what I'm mostly referring to are places like NY where if you have 5 or more guns in your vehicle you are assumed to be involved in the illegal sale of firearms and guilty of a felony, or MA where this guy had his guns confiscated and is going to have to defend himself from criminal charges for shooting a dog that bit him on his own property, or IL where they have set up a police task force to hunt down, disarm and prosecute people whose FOID cards have expired. I don't understand why someone who lives there would own a gun, or why someone who owns guns would live there.

Finally, mother nature will get you no matter where you are. Sure they have hurricanes in Florida, the Carolinas and the Gulf Coast of Texas, and sure they have tornados from Texas to the Dakotas, but Cali has earthquakes, wildfires and mudslides too.

ETA - One more thing...

I live within 15 minutes of a Six Flags and Ameriquest Field (Texas Rangers), 5 minutes from Texas Stadium (Dallas Cowboys), 15 minutes from American Airlines Arena (Dallas Stars) and 20 minutes from the Texas State Fairgrounds. There is a Sea World about 4 hours away in San Antonio. Downtown Dallas has an enormous aquarium, the 6th floor museum at Dealey Plaza, fantastic restraunts, a ballet and there is a zoo in Ft. Worth. I have all the amenities available to me that you do. We are by no means trailer dwelling rednecks sitting around drinking Schlitts and watching Hee-Haw...not all of us anyways.

Oh, and your multicultural marriage would fit in just fine here too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]
It's usually because they have a frikin life outside one of thier hobbies- you know, job . . . family.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:14:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because it's not easy give give up everything you've created to move.

Quoted for truth...

Making me wonder....

If you aren't even willing to relocate for freedom, I somehow doubt you;d be willing to die for it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Asking someone to leave their home and everything they know and love over guns, is asking quite a bit.

Its not about the guns. Its about the freedom.

I left COnnecticut cuz in keeping with their anti-gun stance, they were anti-freedom, a quasi - socialist state.

Like has been said "If you love wealth better than liberty..."

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It's usually because they have a frikin life outside one of thier hobbies- you know, job . . . family.

And I want my family to live in freedom.

So I moved.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:28:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I moved.

We have a winner!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I moved.

Well said!  I wouldn't leave an anti-gun state because of the shitty gun laws, but because it seems every anti-gun state is also high in tree-huggin socialist BS, more taxes, more stupid laws (9th circus comes to mind) etc.  The states with the best gun laws seem to be the ones with the lowest interference in your daily life in general.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well said!  I wouldn't leave an anti-gun state because of the shitty gun laws, but because it seems every anti-gun state is also high in tree-huggin socialist BS, more taxes, more stupid laws (9th circus comes to mind) etc.  The states with the best gun laws seem to be the ones with the lowest interference in your daily life in general.  

Socialist states just happen to have bad gun laws.

Its all the OTHER crap that drives ya insane.

And I still gotta think....

"If relocating for freedoms sake is too much of an inconveneince, I gotta think dying for freedom is outta the question."

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top