Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Right, just like the British, who took over peoples ALL OVER THE WORLD for their own profit...now, though, we "yankee imperialists" are the devil to them
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Because we reconize the fact that our estimated population is usually 5-10 times more, and that to them is "arrogant".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Because we reconize the fact that our estimated population is usually 5-10 times more, and that to them is "arrogant".

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A dutch friend of mine did the whole route'66 in a car a few years ago. The idea that he got was that most people were very hospitable. What he did find strange was that most people he met actually seldom left their home town and very few had traveled out of their home state, let alone out of the country.

There isn't much need to travel out of the country. You can fire up the car and drive thousands of miles, like you Dutch friend did, and never leave the country. Add in Canada (which Americans can cross into without a visa) and you can roam pretty much the entire continent while speaking only english and without having to do any serious government paperwork.

Route 66 has long been bypassed by the freeways, so it's a backwater these days. The rural and desert areas of the US are poorer than the urban areas, and the people living there often like the isolation and small communities.

The "arrogance" is often just directness. In America we're used to asking for what we want. The level of service in most US businesses is pretty high; the customer is king, and in the urban areas at least things move pretty fast and things are efficient. Americans abroad are a bit dismayed by the lack of wait staff efficiency, and when you combine that with the directness mentioned earlier you get arrogance.

Tallinn's old town is lovely, btw. I did a day trip there from Helsinki. You must get a lot of European tourists from all the cruise ships. What are they like?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nah, most europeans dont think americans are arrogant, most europeans think the french are arrogant .

I for one certainly appreciate USA's position as a world power. If America would stop projecting its power in the world and instead adopt a policy of political isolation, russian tanks would start rolling over the borders of my country right now, chinese cruise missiles would slam into Taiwan right now etc. etc.

What would the world's reaction to America be if China went after Tiawan and we didn't intervene? Would we be just as vilified for NOT stopping China as we are FOR stopping Saddam?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Inferiority complex.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Right, just like the British, who took over peoples ALL OVER THE WORLD for their own profit...now, though, we "yankee imperialists" are the devil to them

Diff between us and them is we are not Imperialists. We help the people of those nations we fight after the fighting is over.  They look at that as weak. What would say the French have done? Well, besides surrender to the first guy with a gun that is......
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It ain't braggin if you can do it.

Damn right!

And for the majority of us, we are not "appeasers".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Tallinn's old town is lovely, btw. I did a day trip there from Helsinki. You must get a lot of European tourists from all the cruise ships. What are they like?

Yup, Tallinn is a real tourist town, during summer period you literally fall over them.
I'd say russian tourists are the most arrogant, as are the french. I mean, they are a few thousand miles from France and they adres you in french?! "efff eff effe fffffffff, parla francese..eff efff", "Eerr, xcuse me pal, english is the international language of communication", after that they usually try to speak in english, very badly. Finnish tourists are always drunk, as are the swedes Italians clearly come only for the blonde girls.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Because we're better than them.  

Saving their asses in two world wars has a tendency to make them feel a little insignificunt in comparison.

Why should I boast about that? I didnt do anything....

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#11]
It's just simple human nature. Other countries are jealous of the United States' record of achievement . We have the strongest economy in the world (for now), the strongest military (I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon), the highest standard of living, and more freedoms for our citizens (for now) than any other developed nation. We have beaten back tyranny in 2 World Wars, and our available natural resources are vast (except oil).  There's a lot to be proud of. That's why we can't allow the government to overstep its bounds, and the liberal left to fuck it up. I would gladly die so that our children could have a better country, and I think it goes without saying that many here would too. God bless the USA!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
because we are that fucking good!  Seriously we can fuck up any country in a matter of days.

Iraq is the demonstration.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
.. the highest standard of living....

Actually you are wrong on that account, Switzerland has the highest standard of living, has had for many years. Another interesting fact about Switzerland is that they have the largest number of firearms in private posession per capita in the world AND they have the lowest crime rate of any western country.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because we're better than them.  .

+1

+2
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually you are wrong on that account, Switzerland has the highest standard of living, has had for many years. Another interesting fact about Switzerland is that they have the largest number of firearms in private posession per capita in the world AND they have the lowest crime rate of any western country.

I stand corrected, sir. Switzerland is one of the places I would consider moving to if I were not in the US.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Saving their asses in two world wars has a tendency to make them feel a little insignificunt in comparison.

+1 After saving their asses MANY times around the world, they realize how inept they really are!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
It sort of makes a guy wonder just how many of those countries who think we are arrogant would be willing to give up all of the foreighn aid and handouts in return for .......
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Any body else herewonder just how many of those countries who think we are arrogant would be willing to give up all of the foreign aid and handouts we dole out every other week?

If we are arrogant...FUCK EM!  

We have bought and paid for that privelege many times over!

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually you are wrong on that account, Switzerland has the highest standard of living,

I guess it is Luxembourg:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually you are wrong on that account, Switzerland has the highest standard of living,

I guess it is Luxembourg:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

Countries like Luxembourg, Monaco and other small and special cases are normally not included in OECD prosperity index. I quess when we look at average wealth per citizen then Monaco would come on top.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like the English, French and Germans were never

So because the losers act that way, it's OK for us to act that way????

I hope we are able to rise above what they do!!!

The Euros wrote the book on being arrogant! America is the "upstart" newcomer according to the euros. They THINK we have no right to be arrogant, yet it's OK for them to be? They have looked down on us from the start. Who do they ALWAYS call for help? AMERICA, thats who. Do we hesitate, NO. Do they, fuck yes! We are not the most arrogant nation on this planet.

I agree with you about the Euros attitude.

What I am trying to get across is that having an arrogant attitude is not a godd character quality to have. Being proud of what we have done as a contry in a short time is smething to be proud of but most Americans haven't even teel you the differance between a Republic and a Democracy....Yet when I travel, and because I have tan skin and black hair most Americans don't realize I'm a fellow American, they act like as ass when overseas.

Maybe they feel like a king or something being waited on by somebody that makes less money than them but I do know they would never act that way back home.

Most restraunts and hotels would throw them out back home. And they would be scorned on the job site if people back home could see a video of the behavior of some people overseas.

PS(why have the anti-gun guy as a avitar?)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
We ARE arrogant.

So?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Define standard of living.  To me it is being able to live in the country, have acerage, my own well, a full size gas guzzling truck, 67 GTO, ATV, lawn tractor, snow blower, etc.........

Yes, Europeans work less hours per week and take more vacations than we do in the USA.  I wouldn't trade it.  A few years ago I had a business trip to Saarbrucken Germany.  I wouldn't live there even if I only had to work 30 hours a week and got 3 months of vacation.  The people I worked with there couldn't believe the size of the lot my house is on and the fact that we have trucks for personal use.  Hell, I got the impreassion most people in Europe do not have their own homes.  I saw waaaaay more apartment complexes there than actual houses.  But, keep in mind that that was just one particular part of Germany.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Who R.D. Anderson? Far as I know he is very pro military and pro gun to a degree. Flipside of that is he is also a tree hugger. I have now issue with that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Self confidence is often times mistaken for arrogance.

And being the most powerful country in the world is also mistaken for arrogance.

Jealousy is a bitch isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who R.D. Anderson? Far as I know he is very pro military and pro gun to a degree. Flipside of that is he is also a tree hugger. I have now issue with that.

He is on this NRA list:
www.gunowners.org/fs0302.htm

Been talked about in serval diffent post on this board , where ? I'm not sure but it has come up several times. I do like the show though.

ETA:Sure wish I could spell correctly the first time. dang

As the hero of MacGyver, which ran from 1985 to 1992 on ABC and spawned two TV movies, Anderson was very conscious of the show's anti-violence, gun control themes. In fact, he's proud that MacGyver won the emnity of the National Rifle Association. www.rdanderson.com/archives/98-09-19.htm

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Because Americans are perceived that they act like they are better than everyone else, they generally refuse to learn anything about other cultures, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I catch myself doing this, but as I only speak english I sort of expect other people to. Even abroad, I've caught myself doing it...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I catch myself doing this, but as I only speak english I sort of expect other people to. Even abroad, I've caught myself doing it...

Q: What do you call a person who speaks one language?

A: An American!

It is so true.....

While in Iraq is ran into people who spoke three or four language, fluently, and a lot of then whould be considered uneducated by some people here.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#30]

I promise to be more humble to the South Africans IF they export more of their 5.56 surplus ammunition to us here in the US of A.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
 I promise to be more humble to the South Africans IF they export more of their 5.56 surplus ammunition to us here in the US of A.

The way things are going over there, they need it themselves.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Your post explains it very well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Q: What do you call a person who speaks one language?

A: An American!

It is so true.....

While in Iraq is ran into people who spoke three or four language, fluently, and a lot of then whould be considered uneducated by some people here.

They may be uneducated.....in certain things.  Just as we may be uneducated in multiple languages.   Difference is that they learned multiple languages out of necessity.  Much the same as Europeans.   Greater contact with people whom speak other languages.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#34]
The simple answer to the original question is, there are a lot of foreigners who are just plain a$@ holes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Finnish tourists are always drunk, as are the swedes

On the ferry back to Helsinki there were Finns wheeling handtrucks of untaxed Estonian booze back on board.

You guys are rocking since you kicked the Soviets out. It looked like a huge real estate boom, flat tax, good technology base, and all the Scandanavians were worried about Estonians taking their jobs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Define standard of living.  To me it is being able to live in the country, have acerage, my own well, a full size gas guzzling truck, 67 GTO, ATV, lawn tractor, snow blower, etc.........

Its according to OECD Prosperity Index, how they calculate it, i dont know. GDP per Capita, something like that.  You do see there Porsches and the like on every street corner, so they deffinitely have money.

Most europeans do own their own homes, the average size varies a lot per country (dutch have probably the smallest living spaces in Europe, in a place like Sweden its probably similar to US). Dont forget that Europe is not a unity like US, straight comparison is not really possible.  I read in an article on townhall.com that average yearly income in US is $29 019 per year, i make 29 400 euros per year and im deffinitely not considered prosperous.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I will see the South African chick Tuesday night...

Should I pretend to be "not arrogant", ask her out, then hit her up for some battlepack?

By the way I have read a lot of south African history (because of my interest in the military history there), so I won't seem too provincal...but my Africaans is a littlt rusty...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is on this NRA list:
www.gunowners.org/fs0302.htm

Been talked about in serval diffent post on this board , where ? I'm not sure but it has come up several times. I do like the show though.

ETA:Sure wish I could spell correctly the first time. dang

As the hero of MacGyver, which ran from 1985 to 1992 on ABC and spawned two TV movies, Anderson was very conscious of the show's anti-violence, gun control themes. In fact, he's proud that MacGyver won the emnity of the National Rifle Association. www.rdanderson.com/archives/98-09-19.htm

Well, Col. Jack O'Neill is at least pro gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#39]
We're not arrogant we're simply the best !!!!!!!

Alvin
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The simple answer to the original question is, there are a lot of foreigners who are just plain a$@ holes.

Same thing applies to americans.
Make no mistake, there are assholes everywhere in the world no matter their race or their degree of education.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its according to OECD Prosperity Index, how they calculate it, i dont know. GDP per Capita, something like that.  You do see there Porsches and the like on every street corner, so they deffinitely have money.

Most europeans do own their own homes, the average size varies a lot per country (dutch have probably the smallest living spaces in Europe, in a place like Sweden its probably similar to US).
Dont forget that Europe is not a unity like US, straight comparison is not really possible.  I read in an article on townhall.com that average yearly income in US is $29 019 per year, i make 29 400 euros per year and im deffinitely not considered prosperous.

Thy may have money, but my point is that they may not be able  to have the sort things we in the US have.  $29000...I wonder how that is calculated?  I wonder if the entire population, such as retirees, high school students with jobs, college students with jobs, part time workers etc...is used to dilute it?  That could be correct I guess.  With 300 million people that may actually be pretty good.  

It would be interesting to compare the US to another country with a population of 300 million.

Anyway.... I am off to a gunshow in Minneapolis/St. Paul.  To part with some of my money.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#42]
+1 on some points.

Americans on average act like assholes abroad.

Most people outside of N. America think that every American is filthy Rich.

Most Europeans get 2 months paid vacation and can afford to travel the world.

Europeans watch too much Hollywierd TV/Movies and generally get a very distorted view of the U.S. .

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#43]
The US median household income is a bit above $44K/yr. On a GDP per capita basis, with purchasing power parity factored in (that takes out some exchange rate flucutations) it's around $42K.

The CIA World Factbook keeps track of per capita GDP (with PPP) for most countries. The UK per capita GDP is around $31K, France $30K, Germany $30K, Poland $13K, Switzerland $35K. The cost of living is apparently quite high in Switzerland.

You can (and people do) argue a lot about the PPP adjustments.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#44]
^ That & Euro media loves to paint ALL of us Americans as overweight uneducated goobers who kAnn"T SpeL worth a damn whom gobble up the worlds' natural resources without a care for anyone but ourselves...I lived/worked in Birmingham England for 6 months, backpacked the continent for 1 month; lots of neat history, culture, food, but once they find out you're an American - their attitude/how they treat you may change. Like others here have posted; it's an inferiority complex which causes them to lash out whenever they can.

BTW when folks in England asked where I live in the States I'd reply "Milwaukee"....The puzzled look on their faces....Then I'd tell them "ya know, Laverne & Shirley - Happy Days", or "100 miles north of Chicago - home of Al Capone"....Then the smile of acknowledgment would appear on their snaggle-toothed faces. My point being is that these folks aren't any better/nor certainly better educated than most of us; they just like to think so
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
People outside of the USofA admires us because of the tremendous amount of personal wealth, and they personally resent that.

Wow you wasted 24k on that?  

Its the 'git R done' attitude that they will never understand.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
People outside of the USofA admires us because of the tremendous amount of personal wealth, and they personally resent that.

Wow you wasted 24k on that?   he

3 words for ya; BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY! h.gif
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
^ That & Euro media loves to paint ALL of us Americans as overweight uneducated goobers who kAnn"T SpeL worth a damn whom gobble up the worlds' natural resources without a care for anyone but ourselves...I lived/worked in Birmingham England for 6 months, backpacked the continent for 1 month; lots of neat history, culture, food, but once they find out you're an American - their attitude/how they treat you may change. Like others here have posted; it's an inferiority complex which causes them to lash out whenever they can.

BTW when folks in England asked where I live in the States I'd reply "Milwaukee"....The puzzled look on their faces....Then I'd tell them "ya know, Laverne & Shirley - Happy Days", or "100 miles north of Chicago - home of Al Capone"....Then the smile of acknowledgment would appear on their snaggle-toothed faces. My point being is that these folks aren't any better/nor certainly better educated than most of us; they just like to think so

I know where Milwaukee is, have been to Great Lakes for A school while I was in the Navy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same thing applies to americans.
Make no mistake, there are assholes everywhere in the world no matter their race or their degree of education.

I have to agree with that.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top