Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I did have an officer keep some Black Talons in a 45 that was 'secured for our protection", however in retrospect; I think he asked if he could have them...

Whatever; I have more....

edit; I couldda owned this page....
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cite your source.  I find this hard to believe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are close to 50 deaths so far this year of LEO's that have been shot during domestic disturbance calls.

The "50" number is bullshit. From the FBI: In 2012 a TOTAL of 47 LEOs were feloniously killed, and only 2 of those were during a Domestic Disturbance call.

Link

According to preliminary statistics released today by the FBI, 47 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed in the line of duty in 2012. The total number of officers killed is 25 fewer than the 72 officers who died in 2011. By region, 22 officers were killed as a result of criminal acts that occurred in the South, eight officers in the West, six officers in the Northeast, five officers died due to incidents in the Midwest, and six officers were killed in the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

By circumstance, 12 officers died from injuries inflicted while investigating suspicious persons or circumstances, eight who died were conducting traffic pursuits or stops, five were engaged in tactical situations, and five officers were killed as a result of ambushes (four due to entrapment/premeditated situations and one during an unprovoked attack). Four officers’ deaths occurred as a result of answering disturbance calls (two of which were domestic disturbance calls) and three officers were transporting, handling, or maintaining custody of prisoners. Two of the fallen officers sustained fatal injuries during drug-related matters, two were attempting to make other arrests, and two were performing investigative activities. Two officers were responding to robberies in progress, one was responding to a burglary in progress, and one officer was killed as a result of handling a person with a mental illness.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

thats seems awful logical of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never once seized a gun that was legal. I do however want to know where the guns in the house are when I roll up to a call. From my own experience it's an officer safety thing. I want to know where the things that can hurt me are and where everybody is when I'm at a call.

thats seems awful logical of you.

Is it?  All an officer has to know is that the people in the home are unarmed and there are no firearms in the immediate area.  If everyone is in say the LR, he can see them and there aren't any guns around and no one is armed, he need not go searching thru the house to find firearms.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never once seized a gun that was legal. I do however want to know where the guns in the house are when I roll up to a call. From my own experience it's an officer safety thing. I want to know where the things that can hurt me are and where everybody is when I'm at a call.
View Quote

Then you should keep your eyes on the people in the house. The gun won't hurt you. It's an inanimate object.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a JBT, but my guess would be that they don't take the TV's and DVR's because they make poor weapons.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#6]
The problem isn't them asking if you have any, or even them possibly wanting to hold them temporarily while they're there. The problem is a lot of cops come up with devious and lame excuses to try and take them permanently.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A person during the call is not not going to have access to any weapons. Guns are a higher danger level than other items.

Also I don't inspect them, I just want to know where things are located. You go to arrest a guy, says let me put my shoes on, I'm going to walk with the person and make sure they don't grab weapon of any type. Also I don't use the term firearm or gun when asking the question. I ask are there any weapons and let the person define it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When watching the news reports of the cops going in to a house for anything, (domestic dispute, warrants, burglary investigation, illegal searches…etc) the first thing they look for are guns?  If the gun is owned legally by a person in the house and not used in anyway related why would they seize the guns? …they don’t take the TV or DVR or car or the kitchen knife set.  Why is law enforcement so infatuated with taking all the guns out of a house first thing?

Just asking...

Uhhhh, yeah. Going in on a DV call, warrant service etc...it's dangerous.

I want to know who is in the house, where in the house and if there are any weapons.

I've never seen them seize kitchen knives, scissors, hammers, cleavers, axes, wasp spray, or any of the myriad of other 'weapons' that are in most houses.

It seems odd to claim you are interested in weapons, but, only one specific type.

I have no doubt it is dangerous to go to a DV call, but it seems to be a gaping hole in the 'find any weapons' policy when you are only inspecting guns.

TRG

A person during the call is not not going to have access to any weapons. Guns are a higher danger level than other items.

Also I don't inspect them, I just want to know where things are located. You go to arrest a guy, says let me put my shoes on, I'm going to walk with the person and make sure they don't grab weapon of any type. Also I don't use the term firearm or gun when asking the question. I ask are there any weapons and let the person define it.

That's more or less where the majority of LOD deaths and injuries come from during DV right?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Every single one of your replies in almost every thread makes me think I would love to have you as a neighbor or have a beer anytime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As in all situations, it depends. If I there are guns within reach of the parties, especially in a domestic where tensions are already sky high, I'll ask the person to either move, or I'll grab the firearm, unload it, and place it away from them. I will ask who owns the firearms, but unless a crime occurs, or I have reason to believe the firearm was used in a crime, or is stolen, I leave them alone.

Every single one of your replies in almost every thread makes me think I would love to have you as a neighbor or have a beer anytime.

he sheds, smells of dirty sex, and listens to burl ives when he gets drunk
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Same thing happened in this situation. It doesn't seem like their guns were going to harm anybody nor do these people sounds threatening.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/coast-guard-investigators-seize-journalists-records-in-gun-search-with-md-state-police/2013/10/25/4851ed08-3dcb-11e3-b0e7-716179a2c2c7_story.html
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They think you will try to kill them.
View Quote

And everyone on the other side of the blue line is a potential criminal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The cop is in charge and no one else.
View Quote

Hence the 'disconnect'.  I come from a long line of Cops, and even set out to be one (sometimes the Academy lessons are more that the grades on tests).  The general feeling I have is 'my home is my castle' and any one that comes in here to tell ne 'where to stand, when to talk, and so on' can be damned...  however they can do it to every other scumbag on the planet.

Seems like the cop is screwed either way...

...and people wonder why they are 'assholes'.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As in all situations, it depends. If I there are guns within reach of the parties, especially in a domestic where tensions are already sky high, I'll ask the person to either move, or I'll grab the firearm, unload it, and place it away from them. I will ask who owns the firearms, but unless a crime occurs, or I have reason to believe the firearm was used in a crime, or is stolen, I leave them alone.

Homo.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what are the downsides?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The "50" number is bullshit. From the FBI: In 2012 a TOTAL of 47 LEOs were feloniously killed, and only 2 of those were during a Domestic Disturbance call.

Link

According to preliminary statistics released today by the FBI, 47 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed in the line of duty in 2012. The total number of officers killed is 25 fewer than the 72 officers who died in 2011. By region, 22 officers were killed as a result of criminal acts that occurred in the South, eight officers in the West, six officers in the Northeast, five officers died due to incidents in the Midwest, and six officers were killed in the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

By circumstance, 12 officers died from injuries inflicted while investigating suspicious persons or circumstances, eight who died were conducting traffic pursuits or stops, five were engaged in tactical situations, and five officers were killed as a result of ambushes (four due to entrapment/premeditated situations and one during an unprovoked attack). Four officers’ deaths occurred as a result of answering disturbance calls (two of which were domestic disturbance calls) and three officers were transporting, handling, or maintaining custody of prisoners. Two of the fallen officers sustained fatal injuries during drug-related matters, two were attempting to make other arrests, and two were performing investigative activities. Two officers were responding to robberies in progress, one was responding to a burglary in progress, and one officer was killed as a result of handling a person with a mental illness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are close to 50 deaths so far this year of LEO's that have been shot during domestic disturbance calls.

Link

Heck, according to that it's just as dangerous to fall on a drug arrest than it is to go to a DV call.  Or make an "investigation".
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You know not all the guns they seize and come up with an excuse to keep.. are not "being destroyed."  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey....cut them some slack....They can't afford to BUY their throw-downs!!!!!
You know not all the guns they seize and come up with an excuse to keep.. are not "being destroyed."  

So a lot of them have the mindset of "that could be ours" when deciding to take guns away.

Unfortunately too many cops have a jealousy complex.
Easily one of the dumbest f**kng things I've ever read here.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm in on this one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#27]
wouldnt want someone to shoot back when u go for the dawg now would ya
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When watching the news reports of the cops going in to a house for anything, (domestic dispute, warrants, burglary investigation, illegal searches…etc) the first thing they look for are guns?  If the gun is owned legally by a person in the house and not used in anyway related why would they seize the guns? …they don’t take the TV or DVR or car or the kitchen knife set.  Why is law enforcement so infatuated with taking all the guns out of a house first thing?

Just asking...

I want to know who is in the house, where in the house and if there are any weapons.

I've never seen them seize kitchen knives, scissors, hammers, cleavers, axes, wasp spray, or any of the myriad of other 'weapons' that are in most houses.

It seems odd to claim you are interested in weapons, but, only one specific type.

I have no doubt it is dangerous to go to a DV call, but it seems to be a gaping hole in the 'find any weapons' policy when you are only inspecting guns.

TRG

That sounds pretty fair to me. Isn't the best thing to move everyone outside? I would be concerned that the person that intends to use a firearm isn't going to tell you where it is. They'll tell you where the safe is but not about the handgun they stashed under the living room couch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Got the figure for number of dogs shot by LEOs?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Power trips.

Who's tripping?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1850434439/puppycide-the-documentary/description

Cold-Linked on purpose.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Drain cleaner is in the kitchen cupboard.

Muriatic acid is out by the pool.

Knives are in the butcher block.

Gasoline is in the garage.

Smokeless powder is in the reloading room.

Point is.... If I had bad intent, I could hurt you very quickly with any number of things in my house.  Why are you concerned about guns that are not in my hand, but not the above items?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If it worries you that much, don't go into the house! Speak with the person outside! It's much safer especially if the person lies as to the whereabouts of said weapons!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it worries you that much, don't go into the house! Speak with the person outside! It's much safer especially if the person lies as to the whereabouts of said weapons!

They want to go into your house to search for evidence of other crimes. Don't invite the man into your life (house).
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Easier to control people and the situation inside. Also you can put one person in one room with an officer and another person in a different room to interview them.

You don't want to be in the yard airing folks dirty laundry out to the neighbors.

You search the furniture where a peson will be seated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds pretty fair to me. Isn't the best thing to move everyone outside? I would be concerned that the person that intends to use a firearm isn't going to tell you where it is. They'll tell you where the safe is but not about the handgun they stashed under the living room couch.

Easier to control people and the situation inside. Also you can put one person in one room with an officer and another person in a different room to interview them.

You don't want to be in the yard airing folks dirty laundry out to the neighbors.

You search the furniture where a peson will be seated.

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A cop getting shot and living is listed as an assault.

¦Law enforcement agencies reported that 53,469 officers were assaulted while performing their duties in 2010.
¦The rate of officer assaults in 2010 was 10.0 per 100 sworn officers.

¦26.1 percent of the officers assaulted sustained injuries.
¦27.4 percent of the officers who were attacked with personal weapons (e.g., hands, fists, or feet) suffered injuries.
¦14.1 percent of the officers who were assaulted with knives or other cutting instruments were injured.
¦11.6 percent of officers who were attacked with firearms were injured.
¦23.4 percent of officers who were attacked with other dangerous weapons were injured.

¦33.0 percent were responding to disturbance calls (family quarrels, bar fights, etc.).
¦14.7 percent of the officers assaulted were attempting other arrests.

¦In 2010, 81.8 percent of officers who were assaulted in the line of duty were attacked with personal weapons (e.g. hands, fists, or feet).
¦3.4 percent of the officers were assaulted with firearms.
¦1.7 percent of the officers were assaulted with knives or other cutting instruments.
¦13.1 percent of the officers were assaulted with other dangerous weapons.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/leoka/leoka-2010/officers-assaulted
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heck, according to that it's just as dangerous to fall on a drug arrest than it is to go to a DV call.  Or make an "investigation".

¦Law enforcement agencies reported that 53,469 officers were assaulted while performing their duties in 2010.

¦27.4 percent of the officers who were attacked with personal weapons (e.g., hands, fists, or feet) suffered injuries.
¦14.1 percent of the officers who were assaulted with knives or other cutting instruments were injured.
¦23.4 percent of officers who were attacked with other dangerous weapons were injured.

¦33.0 percent were responding to disturbance calls (family quarrels, bar fights, etc.).

¦In 2010, 81.8 percent of officers who were assaulted in the line of duty were attacked with personal weapons (e.g. hands, fists, or feet).
¦1.7 percent of the officers were assaulted with knives or other cutting instruments.

And also any touching of the officer is "assault". Or a cop throws a guy on the ground and breaks his arm attempting to handcuff him, and then guy resists because his arm is being broken, and it's assault. Any "assault" data on police officers is meaningless, because cops call anything assault and also charge people for assault when the person tries to protect themselves from being injured by police during detainment or arrest.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Actually, no.

And if it is like most places the assault only gets reported, no charges. Almost have to go to the hospital.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And also any touching of the officer is "assault". Or a cop throws a guy on the ground and breaks his arm attempting to handcuff him, and then guy resists because his arm is being broken, and it's assault. Any "assault" data on police officers is meaningless, because cops call anything assault and also charge people for assault when the person tries to protect themselves from being injured by police during detainment or arrest.

Actually, no.

And if it is like most places the assault only gets reported, no charges. Almost have to go to the hospital.

Are you saying that someone can assault a police officer and as long as the cop doesn't have to go to the hospital, no assault charges will be filed?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just asking...

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Are you saying that someone can assault a police officer and as long as the cop doesn't have to go to the hospital, no assault charges will be filed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, no.

No, what he said was that normally if there is no serious injuries the prosecutor will normally not pursue it.  Or that charges are not normally filed without seriious injury.  He is correct.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1850434439/puppycide-the-documentary/description  

Cold-Linked on purpose.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Power trips.

Who's tripping?

Cold-Linked on purpose.

Dogs are a weapon.  

Pit Bulls anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So they can sell them on EE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just asking...

So they can sell them on EE.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes. No point in it when a DA will dismiss it as being part of the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, no.

Kinda like this?

Madison man charged with aggravated assault on police officer
By Independent Press
on October 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

http://www.nj.com/independentpress/index.ssf/2013/10/madison_man_charged_with_aggra.html

MADISON — A local resident was charged with aggravated assault of a police officer and more after he allegedly pushed a police officer who tried to help him push his car into a gas station.

According to police, at about 10:15 p.m. on Oct. 17, an officer saw a man, later identified as Jacob Locket III, 61, of Madison, driving his car in the area of Greenwood Avenue near Elmer Street. A few moments later, the officer saw the same man trying to push his car into the lot of a nearby gas station and went to help.

When the officer got near Locket, he allegedly smelled alcohol on Locket’s breath and had him perform field sobriety tests. During the testing, Locket allegedly pushed the police officer.

He was charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, driving while intoxicated, driving while intoxicated within 1,000 feet of a school zone, refusal to consent to a breath test, driving with a suspended license, uninsured vehicle, unregistered vehicle, failure to inspect, two counts of failure to exhibit documents, and careless driving.

Bail was set at $2,500 and he was held in the Morris County Correctional Facility with a court appearance pending.

Or this example:

Conway man charged with four counts of aggravated assault of officer

Link

A Conway man has been charged with four counts of aggravated assault of a certified law enforcement officer after police say he spit on multiple officers following his involvement in a vehicle accident with a train.

Police arrived on scene of an accident involving a train around 2:44 a.m. Sunday at the intersection of Tyler and Donaghey streets.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They think you will try to kill them.

Ironical, ain't it.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, no.

Yup. Even harder to get AUSA to prosecute assault on a fed.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Just curious...what if the homeowner has all his firearms locked up in a safe?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. I remember the cops telling my stepfather to leave after I called them about him beating up my mom. They let him load up all of his guns and most(if not all) of my guns and then drive out of there drunk with a warning not to come back. Fortunately he didn't decide to come back and kill us later.

I can certainly see why cops would take guns in certain situations.
It varies state to state. Some areas like in liberal states cops will literally lie and exaggerate shit about people or an incident just to have an excuse to take guns and not give them back. Some cops also like to pretend they rule the world wherever they go, and in domestic cases it probably isn't the smartest idea to walk into someone else's house and act like you own the place with a cocky attitude, but they do.  

Not inside MY house!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just curious...what if the homeowner has all his firearms locked up in a safe?
View Quote

That's where I keep my extra fancy china.

Honestly look at a DV call just like a pulled over vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its none your damn business where the guns are, why are you at my house?

Eta, please dont shoot my dogs,
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top