User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a worthless ponzi scheme program

And since I'm self-employed I have to pay DOUBLE social security

By the time I retire it won't even exist. Instead, if I put that money in an IRA I would receive a much better return. But no, government knows best

No, you have to pay the same FICA tax as everyone else, the difference is that you actually see the other half of it instead of it being a hidden tax that most people never understand.

As to eliminating it, it will never happen. The elderly are the highest percentage voting bloc in this country. Every elected official knows it. No one will do anything to offend them.

Bingo.

The only way to end SS is to fight our own parents and grandparents.  Not many people would care to do that.  Second, ending SS would pretty much require all of us to be willing to take in our grandparents or parents when they "retire".  Not many people are ready or willing to do that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, at this point... I would chalk up the amount I have paid in as a loss and move on if it ment I could opt out.

Given I have only been paying in about 15 years, not as long as some people.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do I get back all the money I have already put into it?

I agree.

Give me all my funds back with a moderate interest, then you can do what you want with it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sincere question...

What would happen to all the little old folks living on it?

They would either have to start living on their own retirement preparations (sans SS) or rely on their children and/or grandchildren to support them.  Didn't have kids and no "retirement" savings or plans beyond SS?  Oh, I'm sorry but you're screwed, Mr Childless.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sincere question...

Realistically?  The ones who could work, would have to work.  The ones who couldn't would starve or move in family.

I have seen a metric shit-ton of old people finances.  The vast majority have next to nothing in the bank (<$50K) and no other income outside of Social Security.

skyrocketing levels of little old homeless people isn't really an answer

Yet people managed this situation before SS with most of the old people not being homeless.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Honestly, at this point... I would chalk up the amount I have paid in as a loss and move on if it ment I could opt out.

Why would you ever be allowed the opportunity to opt out? You're the source of funding for the program.

Making it optional spells the death of SS.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

By the time I retire it won't even exist. Instead, if I put that money in an IRA I would receive a much better return. But no, government knows best

You will have to wait until after I die, and the wife too.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

Give me all my funds back with a moderate interest, then you can do what you want with it.

So what do we do? My grandfather retired after a life of back breaking work in a house he made himself. Died 10 years later. He subsisted the last half of that on minimal social security income every month after putting into it his whole life. I dont know the percentages but millions and millions of elderly are still in this situation.

So we essentially have three options.

1. stay the (stupid)course.

2. Halt it now and tell old impoverished people too fuck off and die in a(n) (obama) nursing home.

3. Halt it and give those at age X(like 50) a grandfather clause so they can still expect it and have those younger than X continue to pay into so they can feed X+ people while knowing that they will never see benefits of social security. This will end SS but there will a martyred generation that will just be given a 10% tax for no possible personal gains
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sincere question...

Realistically?  The ones who could work, would have to work.  The ones who couldn't would starve or move in family.

I have seen a metric shit-ton of old people finances.  The vast majority have next to nothing in the bank (<$50K) and no other income outside of Social Security.

Apparently it is for some of Americas youth.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sincere question...

Yet people managed this situation before SS with most of the old people not being homeless.

Before SS what year was that?
I paid from age 18 to almost 67 and you want to cut me off? Let's also stop all police and firemen pensions while we are are at it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sincere question...

I paid from age 18 to almost 67 and you want to cut me off? Let's also stop all police and firemen pensions while we are are at it.

What did your grandparents do at "retirement" age?  Or your great grandparents?  Why does it matter what year it was before SS started?  The fact is that SS is a relatively "new" thing, historically speaking.  The program is less than 100 years old.

Yes, you were taxed from 18 to almost 67 to pay for someone else's SS payouts.  Welcome to the US Government's legalized ponzi scheme.  It's a ponzie scheme now and was since the first recipient.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sincere question...

Neithier bankrupting our country

Right. Because leaving our elderly to die on the street because it's 'their problem' is a better solution.

I never said that, putting words in my mouth?

This is why its a families responsibility to take care of their parents.  Barring that it should be local groups (churches etc...) and as a last resort local communities (county and below).  The money would be much better spent at that level.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sincere question...

Neithier bankrupting our country

Right. Because leaving our elderly to die on the street because it's 'their problem' is a better solution.

You are arguing to a wall here.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

As has been stated repeatedly---your funds are long gone.  There is nothing in there.  Everything that "goes in" comes back out at once to pay for current spending.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I should add that the main reason why social security won't be disposed of (until the economic collapse) is that the funds collected under the SSI tax goes towards the General Fund.  Politicians count on spending that money and stopping a politician from spending is like stopping a druggie from taking drugs.

QFT

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone pays double.  The "employer contribution" is a cost passed onto the employee in the form of lower wages.

We need a show of hands. If the employer 6.25% went away tomorrow do you think your next paycheck would ^?

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone pays double.  The "employer contribution" is a cost passed onto the employee in the form of lower wages.

We need a show of hands. If the employer 6.25% went away tomorrow do you think your next paycheck would ^?

Depends on the company.  In my case our paycheck probably would increase a little (but not the full 6.25% of course).  The company would also be a bit more willing to hire more people.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm more of a fan of end Social Security now.  Those that paid in, even at a loss get their end of the money paid in, tax free and without obligations.  Privatizing it, by mandate, will only force people into a controlled marketplace.  They'll get fucked and those that are doing the fucking will get rich.

This goes deeper.  QE1 2 3infinity 4 extrafuckyourself  needs to end.

End the "Fed". It's not federal.  Personally I'd like to see the assets of the private banking conglomerates.... seized, their administration put to task, I'm talking beheadings, like the Aristocrats of France received, and the monies dumped back into the economy.

A strict fiscal Rule of Law, that essentially removed any representative that moved beyond a balanced budget, included "pork" or hindered the operation. A cleansing, coupled with term limits and a complete cutoff of Lobby monies to them.

This won't happen without some hangman ropes and a Revolution.  It won't happen in my lifetime.  It needs to happen or you, your children, and your Great Great Grandchildren, will be slaves.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sincere question...

Your over 67, can't you find a government old folks home, and stop spending these young peoples money.

Just cause you had money taken from your paycheck, even if you didn't want to, for 49 years, why should you get any of it back.

Freeloader, living of the backs of our young.

Sarcasm, just in case.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would distribute the savings evenly. Everyone's disposable income would go up, the economy would become a bit more lively.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get rid of it. When I'm 70 the world will be a post apocalyptic nightmare. There definitely won't be SS then.

Retiring tomorrow?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

^ that's why you'll never get rid of it.

People like that piss me off. Willing to screw over future generations because of selfishness.

Selfishness? Who the hell are you? I've been paying into it longer than you have been alive.
I should at least see something for all of that.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

So what do we do? My grandfather retired after a life of back breaking work in a house he made himself. Died 10 years later. He subsisted the last half of that on minimal social security income every month after putting into it his whole life. I dont know the percentages but millions and millions of elderly are still in this situation.  

So we essentially have three options.

1. stay the (stupid)course.

2. Halt it now and tell old impoverished people too fuck off and die in a(n) (obama) nursing home.

3. Halt it and give those at age X(like 50) a grandfather clause so they can still expect it and have those younger than X continue to pay into so they can feed X+ people while knowing that they will never see benefits of social security. This will end SS but there will a martyred generation that will just be given a 10% tax for no possible personal gains

I'll take option 3. A blow to the future government is good enough. I'll continue to pay if no benefits paid to those 40 or under now and ALL payments stop in 30 years.

Actually that's not fast enough to reign in the beast really, but better than nothing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

People like that piss me off. Willing to screw over future generations because of selfishness.

Selfishness? Who the hell are you? I've been paying into it longer than you have been alive.

The only way you'll "see something" is if the feds steal it from me to give to you.  Sounds pretty selfish to me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, let's just say you have your own account at the Government Bank of Social Security. Here is your balance sheet:

Deposits: $30,000

Funds available for withdrawal: 0

Balance: -$45,000

Your money is gone, it is spent, it isn't there anymore. If you want something out of that account it has to come from your children and your children's friends' paychecks. Is that acceptable to you? Or would you be willing to scrap the entire program and take a loss?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm more of a fan of end Social Security now.  Those that paid in, even at a loss get their end of the money paid in, tax free and without obligations.  Privatizing it, by mandate, will only force people into a controlled marketplace.  They'll get fucked and those that are doing the fucking will get rich.

This goes deeper.  QE1 2 3infinity 4 extrafuckyourself  needs to end.

End the "Fed". It's not federal.  Personally I'd like to see the assets of the private banking conglomerates.... seized, their administration put to task, I'm talking beheadings, like the Aristocrats of France received, and the monies dumped back into the economy.

A strict fiscal Rule of Law, that essentially removed any representative that moved beyond a balanced budget, included "pork" or hindered the operation. A cleansing, coupled with term limits and a complete cutoff of Lobby monies to them.

This won't happen without some hangman ropes and a Revolution.  It won't happen in my lifetime.  It needs to happen or you, your children, and your Great Great Grandchildren, will be slaves.

Take it from the "Fed Scam" assholes that they are, and end it. The money is there, the greatest creator of weath is another man's debt. Take it from the thieves. Pay it out, and redo it, without the fucking thieves.  My gereration can only support you, yours needs to do it. Otherwise, "Pay up Sucker".

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, you've been taxed for longer than many of us.  We often don't personally receive any benefit from taxes we pay.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]
The Gov't will find some way to take into consideration your other savings (401k, etc) upon retirement so that if your retirement savings is above a certain threshold, then the SS you receive will be significantly reduced or eliminated in some cases.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, you've been taxed for longer than many of us.  We often don't personally receive any benefit from taxes we pay.

neither will we.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The only way you'll "see something" is if the feds steal it from me to give to you.  Sounds pretty selfish to me.

Sounds good to me,,, now go out and find a second job so I can aford a new Corvette to drive when I retire.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Gov't will find some way to take into consideration your other savings (401k, etc) upon retirement so that if your retirement savings is above a certain threshold, then the SS you receive will be significantly reduced or eliminated in some cases.

So in other words, they'll be more honest about it being a redistribution of wealth scheme than they are currently.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This nails it, I'm 59 now. Paying in since I was about 14 or so. So I should suck it up because I'm selfish?
My 401K took a hit. Do you feel like I should work till I drop?

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in other words, they'll be more honest about it being a redistribution of wealth than they have to be currently.

Only as honest as they are forced to be.

As budgets get tighter and tighter, the government will be forced to find ways to limit who gets the money and how much.  Naturally they'll fall back on class-warfare to do this and play unprepared seniors (the vast majority, I'm betting) against those who did prepare.  It's just another stage of divide-and-conquer to accomplish their goals.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in other words, they'll be more honest about it being a redistribution of wealth than they have to be currently.

"Means based testing" is the fancy term for keeping the grasshopper with all the grain since the ants don't need it.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since that money is all gone, I'd say no.

Exactly. You are paying for those retired baby boomers. They can't get rid of that fund raising source.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do you feel like I should work till I drop?

That's the way it's been for the overwhelming majority of history.  Either work to the end, or your kids take care of you, or some combination of the two.  "Retirement" is pretty much a new thing in history.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you feel like I should work till I drop?

That's the way it's been for the overwhelming majority of history.  Either work to the end, or your kids take care of you, or some combination of the two.  "Retirement" is pretty much a new thing in history.

Exactly,  society as a whole paying for you to retire is a new concept.  Eithier plan for your own retirement financially speaking or rely on family/friends.  Or work till you drop.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No, of course you don't.   They already spent it.

Seriously, what is all the belated realizations lately?   In between this and "ONOZ MY CHECK IS SMALLER WHAT HAPPENEND???111", it's as if people haven't been living on the same planet for...well, years I guess.   SS has been a dead end for years.    None of this should be a surprise to anyone.

Hell, they raided the SS fund and used it to buy government debt long before I was ever born.   It's a simple ponzi scheme.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You did. You saw it go to all the other people who got in line before you did.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Well we could fix a lot of problems.

1. End Social Security now.
2. Tax the shit out of everyones increased income.
3. Kill everybody on their 65th birthday and confiscate all of their assets to pay down the debt.

Or that could be sarcasm.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I think the only way to get rid of it is reducing the benefits over a long period of time, maybe 50 years.  Cut the annual increases for inflation in half.  This will slowly bring down the cost of the program and allow the payroll contributions to go down also. For contributors at the very end, give them some type of additional tax incentive towards retirement.

This would spread the penalty broadly, allow those on SS to not be affected too much, and give contributors time to adjust their retirement plans.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think the only way to get rid of it is reducing the benefits over a long period of time, maybe 50 years.  Cut the annual increases for inflation in half.  This will slowly bring down the cost of the program and allow the payroll contributions to go down also. For contributors at the very end, give them some type of additional tax incentive towards retirement.

This would spread the penalty broadly, allow those on SS to not be affected too much, and give contributors time to adjust their retirement plans.

Anything would be better than the current plan of denying anything is wrong, people screaming about what society "owes them", and kicking the can down the road.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Renew all the old folk at Carousel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you ever be allowed the opportunity to opt out? You're the source of funding for the program.

Making it optional spells the death of SS.

I mean if I could. People are saying if they would pay out what has been paid in... etc etc... I am saying I would chalk it up to a loss and move on basically cause I know I will never get anything back.

The death of Social Security is all but spelled out already.

I know what your saying though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

pay it out bitch. I paid mine. You'll pay yours.  Eliminate the bankers, you may have a chance to recoup.  Taking what I paid in?  Oh that isn't happening dipshit.  We may excuse a busting of "the fed" that shit needs to end.  Take my monies I paid in?  really go fuck yourself.  I want it back from those who scammed it, not seniors.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

pay it out bitch. I paid mine. You'll pay yours.  Eliminate the bankers, you may have a chance to recoup.  Taking what I paid in?  Oh that isn't happening dipshit.  We may excuse a busting of "the fed" that shit needs to end.  Take my monies I paid in?  really go fuck yourself.  I want it back from those who scammed it, not seniors.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Someone could check my figures (I'm too lazy), but SS and Medicare now take up about $1.6trillion of the budget.  In 10 years the government forecast that number to be over $3trillion a year.  That's more money than they have in tax revenue currently.  They'd still have to run deficits for everything else.

There's a number of things they could now to help fix they problem but I doubt they will.

1. Cut payments - everyone gets 5% less, including the workers in government.
2.  Quit adding the COL adjustments

They won't do this cause they'll lose votes.  Everyone will bitch about getting less money.  Frankly if you rely entirely on SS to survive, FUCK YOU, you should have planned better.

3.  Move the earliest retirement age to 65.  62 is too young.  Provide more incentives to delay withdrawing money until you're in your 70s.

4.  Quit paying out on a lot of the BS claims of disability.  Sure there are millions that deserve it, but millions more that don't.  I've known a bunch throughout my life including family members.

5.  You need to work longer than the 10 years or so in order to qualify for it.  Does my wife who worked from the age of 16 to 32, until she became a stay at home mother, really deserve it when she turns 62.  Even though she may not of paid a penny into over the last 30 years?  Make it like 20-25, just like government retirement.

6. Start reducing future benefits for those currently at a younger age.  

None of this will happen though, the politicians won't a want to lose votes.  Too busy playing kick the can.  We'll just have to wait until the house of cards crumbles.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then you had better damn well hope you are never disabled.

Yeah Like all the 19 year olds who are on it for depression and add

Great program I tell ya!

There are those that need it to survive.

Tough, not my responsibility to support them
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#49]

And another idea.

For those that want there money that's paid in give it to them - but maybe not anymore.

The average person receives more back than they pay in.

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/retirement/social-security-benefits-vs-taxes/
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It would be classier if you just robbed me yourself rather than having the government do it for you,
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top