BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have weak ankles from effing them up several times during my MX days. I don't think there's any way they would survive BJJ.
View Quote

“Hey do mind not foot locking me? My ankles are kinda fucked up”.

“No problem man let’s roll”.

Easy peasy dude.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't need BJJ when you have Paw Patrol backing you up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I had quarterly injections that were great up until a year ago I could do a lot of things, but falling was still out of the question, of course. Since last Dec. I've had two heart procedures and the doctor forbid the shots as they affect the heart. Now I'm forced to live with lots of pain. Can't take anything stronger than Alive. I save that for the really bad days to protect the kidneys. There is a dry needle procedure I took in physical therapy that was great but the effect only lasted 4-7 days. At $40 a jab it adds up.

My one son was a hard-to-hand combat instructor in the Army. He's in full time NG. We talked about him doing some training with me just to work out. He refused, saying it wouldn't take much to make me a permanent human pretzel. lol
View Quote

I hear ya, sometimes it can overwhelm your pain tolerance system and make you truly miserable.

Massages? CBD? Yoga?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this a “hey let’s discuss our injuries” thread?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is this a “hey let’s discuss our injuries” thread?
View Quote

No, it’s a “hey, let’s discuss our injuries if we begin rolling again” thread.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I am off to hunt down the bottle of Aleve.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have learned enough grappling to have been able to successfully apply it in real life several times.  For most people interested in self defense, just the very basics of BJJ is enough, unless you want to fight in competitions or MMA matches.  

I will stick with Aikido, it fits what I want out of training better and I will be able to practice it much longer in life.  

Most important skill to have for defense in my opinion is mindset.  A black belt in any martial art that is a pussy is going to get smoked 9 times out of 10 by someone that is in ok shape, is very aggressive, and has the will to attack first and keep attacking until the black belt is overwhelmed.  That attacking first thing will help overcome even non-pussies as well.
View Quote

I would caveat that by saying this only really applies to traditional martial arts. Yeah, a black belt in Taekwondo, Karate, etc. has a good chance of getting run over by someone who is aggressive, throws the first shot, and doesn't let off the gas. Most traditional martial arts are jokes that hand out belts way too easily, don't train very hard, don't spar hard, and don't pressure test their techniques. So, yeah, whenever they have to deal with someone who's throwing 100% power shots at their head, they're usually going to fold.

However, that's absolutely not going to happen to someone with a decent amount of experience with BJJ/wrestling/boxing/Muay Thai. Those arts actually train hard, spar hard, and pressure test their techniques. You don't train in those arts consistently while being a pussy, those two things are usually mutually exclusive. Pussies don't like getting hit in the face in sparring, having shins slammed into their thighs in sparring, getting thrown onto mats by sweaty strangers, getting crushed and submitted by sweaty strangers, etc. Those arts foster the mindset that will cause you to succeed in real world altercations.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hear ya, sometimes it can overwhelm your pain tolerance system and make you truly miserable.

Massages? CBD? Yoga?
View Quote

I've been to physical therapy for 24 week earlier this year. It was good. They gave me some exercises to do at home that help with mobility. I also have a recumbent bike that allows me to exercise while taking the pressure off the spine. I also own a 240-acre ranch near Mena, AR. Raise Scottish Highlands, Royal White sheep, and Kiko goats. My wife, son, and grandkids do a lot and I do what I'm able when I'm able. I'm also a writer and need to get a program working to keep a balance go work and exercise. The therapy helped with that. Of late the fall/winter affects my arthritis and pain level tolerance. This time of year is extra painful.

A SHTF event is going to be a challenge for sure.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I use to grapple and box but lost interest in it really.  Id like to take up boxing again but i already have more athletic endeavors than my body can reasonably handle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Because Japanese jujitsu is better suited to everyday life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have a reputable list of gyms?
I am not part of the cripple brigade so my only excuses are cost and distance.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]
It's 15 min to the nearest store and 45 min to an hour to any city/box type store. Where the hell would I find Brazilian jujitsu?

I google it for shits n giggles. 45 min one way.... Yeah I already get up at 4 something and finish my day around 7:30pm 7 days a week. I'll just blow off a half a day run right over there to play grab ass with other guys for fun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Just duct tape where you have ouchies, and tell the other person, I got injuries, don't crank my wrist bro, duct tape is the reminder because they'll forget.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will be one day, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Okinawan Jujitsu keeps me away from that Brazilian stuff.  Very useful in daily life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I have two spinal injuries (neck and lumbar), and my doctor told me to stay away from contact sports.  I’m concerned that I might end up not being able to walk or control my bowels if I finish off my spine.  I used to train bjj in my 20s, but right now, walking and light weights is all I can do.  Aging sucks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Your error is in the assumption that others aren't training.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
At 33, I remember sparring with 20 year olds.  Time to recover from strikes and mistakes was longer.  I was more mature and disciplined in practice that younger folks.  Stayed in good shape.  Can't even fathom now at 60 going into dojo.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Easy peasy dude.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have weak ankles from effing them up several times during my MX days. I don't think there's any way they would survive BJJ.

Easy peasy dude.

For realz? Just like that and they'll be good to you? Hmmmmm
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Okinawan Jujitsu keeps me away from that Brazilian stuff.  Very useful in daily life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy peasy dude.

Yes, if you train in a legit gym.  Nobody wants to hurt you, they just love to roll and improve their game.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I am blessed to train under Roy Harris and Jason Lambert. As a 53 year old blue belt, I am careful and say no frequently. Tap early and often!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#24]
4 bad disks in my c-spine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Everyone serious about self-defense should know how to grapple and strike. The idea a lot of people have that you don't need hand to hand training because you CCW is flawed for a ton of reasons. To begin, in an actual violent attack, there's a good chance you might not have the time or space to draw. It's in situations like this that having grappling training is extremely useful. Also, there's places you can't legally CCW (like airports, sporting events, courthouses, etc.), and if you have no unarmed training, you're basically defenseless there.

I would suggest anyone serious about self-defense do some combination of BJJ/Muay Thai/boxing/wrestling. The arguments lots of people present against grappling training ("What happens when their buddies kick you in the head?") are also really flawed. In grappling, you're not just learning how to take people down, you're also learning takedown defense, how to sweep your opponent/get up quickly or do damage off your back if you wind up there, etc. I would also add that a hard takedown onto concrete will usually end a fight right then and there. Getting slammed onto concrete is a completely different animal than getting slammed onto mats in training.

Once you have a decent grappling foundation, I'd suggest starting to get into stuff like weapon retention, shooting at contact distance with your attacker, etc. A lot of the techniques from BJJ/wrestling are still applicable in a weapons based environment, they just need to be adjusted a bit.
View Quote

Having done a good share in my past, there are some good points.  At this stage in my life, going to the ground is a bad idea.  I'm fully on board with with training and while I do agree knowing defensive skills when not standing are still valid, my goal is to avoid going to the ground in the first place.  Certain strikes and anything to create distance, with several improvised weapons are far more beneficial to me at this stage in my life...I prefer to train for situational awareness, avoidance, separation, and using any tool at my disposal.  

Just flew to and returned from Seattle; walked through the airport with an unbreakable umbrella/baton, stout tactical light, and a titanium bolt-action pen.  I felt a little naked not carrying, but that's the case for some of these trips and at work...

Sadly our nearest Brazilian Jui-jistu trainer is about 40 miles away...just not feasible for me.  A great, functional hobby for those willing to dedicate the time; well worth the investment.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Purple beltch here... the more I train, the more I realize I have to carry a gun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too true.
still might as well know how to use my body while I have it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Purple beltch here... the more I train, the more I realize I have to carry a gun.
View Quote

did some googling, the nearest gym to me is run by a purple belt.

edit I have no doubt he could feed me my own feet but it just seems wrong.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Original Salty Dog BJJ Promo Video
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Not only do I smell bad, but I'm old, and fat, and I've had way too many injuries to fuck around on the mat and wind up in a hospital somewhere in traction.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

did some googling, the nearest gym to me is run by a purple belt.

edit I have no doubt he could feed me my own feet but it just seems wrong.
View Quote

My first gym I learned from a purple belt, they're still learning, but they have a lot to teach. You could easily learn from a purple belt for 2-3 years and learn a ton. Especially in WI, there probably arent a ton of gyms to train at. Plus the time spent at purple belt can vary wildly, some purple belts have been training for 4 years, some have been training for 7+.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#32]
The first rule of BJJ is you must talk about BJJ.

The second rule of BJJ is you must talk about BJJ.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just duct tape where you have ouchies, and tell the other person, I got injuries, don't crank my wrist bro, duct tape is the reminder because they'll forget.
View Quote

Okay, I'm ready.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would caveat that by saying this only really applies to traditional martial arts. Yeah, a black belt in Taekwondo, Karate, etc. has a good chance of getting run over by someone who is aggressive, throws the first shot, and doesn't let off the gas. Most traditional martial arts are jokes that hand out belts way too easily, don't train very hard, don't spar hard, and don't pressure test their techniques. So, yeah, whenever they have to deal with someone who's throwing 100% power shots at their head, they're usually going to fold.

However, that's absolutely not going to happen to someone with a decent amount of experience with BJJ/wrestling/boxing/Muay Thai. Those arts actually train hard, spar hard, and pressure test their techniques. You don't train in those arts consistently while being a pussy, those two things are usually mutually exclusive. Pussies don't like getting hit in the face in sparring, having shins slammed into their thighs in sparring, getting thrown onto mats by sweaty strangers, getting crushed and submitted by sweaty strangers, etc. Those arts foster the mindset that will cause you to succeed in real world altercations.

View Quote

Ah the old, my Martial arts is for fighters, your's if for pussies argument.    It's hard to take anyone seriously that uses this argument.  They just can't get past their tough guy persona.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy peasy dude.

At any decent school with good training partners absolutely. My wife has a fucked up elbow she wears a bright red elbow wrap to remind people. No problems.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#36]
My hands are like deadly weapons. If we fight and I kill you I'll go to jail.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My hands are like deadly weapons. If we fight and I kill you I'll go to jail.
View Quote

Classic!

Also, when I get mad I just see red bro
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am careful and say no frequently. Tap early and often!
View Quote

This is what is absent from many who are younger and by 45 they can barely move...I know a few; they know and have all the skills, but way too much joint and nerve damage to be effective anymore.  Taking a punch to the face a couple of times sucks as is...do it too much and your training is counterproductive. Injuries compound over time and training smart is better than touting bruises, damaged joints and nerves; tapping early prevents that. You're training, not fighting for your life during every spar.  I know it sounds like being a pussy, but I would rather be a pussy in training than an invalid before even needing the skills for a real fight.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I study the blade
View Quote

At 45?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#41]
**Checks thread **

Aikido, Krav, Systema, and JJJ guys already here…

“I’ll just shoot him” guys already here…

“No, don’t think I will”
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#42]
LOL

2 knee replacements

in line for a hip replacement

in hospital with an 18 inch incision in belly medically kept open for 3 months that required hernia mesh implants twice cause the first one didn't work.   Mesh is 14"x10"  yeah solid core

getting Medicare

You think I'm gonna do something that lets someone slam me on a mat?  Yeah.  Let's go back 30 years and talk but meanwhile I'm agonna play some golf today and maybe get in a light workout.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Did bjj from 97 to 20. Got my black belt in 2004. For 16 years I’ve had a target on my back. My body is broken and injuries take to long to heal. I’m done.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ah the old, my Martial arts is for fighters, your's if for pussies argument.    It's hard to take anyone seriously that uses this argument.  They just can't get past their tough guy persona.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have training in traditional martial arts, and I also have training in Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, and a tad bit of BJJ. Speaking from experience, traditional martial arts will get you your ass kicked. It has nothing to do with my "tough guy persona" (I'm nothing special) and it has everything to do with understanding the limitations of traditional martial arts.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don’t smell!

But I have ringworm!

And untrimmed toenails!

Is that okay?
View Quote

OK? It a requirement!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Boxing, aikido and bjj. Do that a bunch from at least 18-25 yrs old. After that you'll remember a bunch of stuff, and you'll be rusty but fundamentals are there to pick it up when life gets in the way. When I was 21 I was waking up with two aleve and a beer to start my days, heck sometimes I'd take 2 aleve and a benadryl before dojo as a youth, followed by mass consumption of beer afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

One day you too will be 46 (or 60) and have a 8 day recovery period from injury instead of 2 days.
View Quote

I’m a 53 year old Blue belt.  
I started at 49 or 50.  
Train 2-4 times a week and do all the local tournaments.  
Lose the excuses, injuries come with the territory.  
I’ve had to take a couple of 6 week breaks due to strains on my knee.
The breaks are pure motivation and my game was better when I started back.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm a lover not a fighter.

If hip thrusts were a combat maneuver, i'd be in the special forces.
View Quote

Do you even bridge, bro?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#50]
None in my town.

Kids are in TKD, ages 6 and 8.

Plus if I'm close enough for BJJ, I probably should have pulled my gun.

If it helps.... I spar the kids
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top