Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Horseshit. It's another incoming line item for the dealer's pocket. Nothing more.

You don't pay a "stock boy fee" or a "bookkeeper fee" at the grocery store. You're passing on a cost of doing business because you know once people have gotten that far in the deal they'll swallow it.

It's like the jagoffs that have a "rehoming fee" on Craigslist for their dog. It's not a rehoming fee. It's the price. You're selling your dog. If calling it something different makes you feel less guilty about that, you're not intelligent.

That said, most dealerships have doc fees for used cars and most won't budge on it. All the YouTube channels say to get the dealer to drop the doc fee. I've sold cars two different places, and those places had a total of 7 dealerships under their management, and they wouldn't give an inch on the doc fee. They MIGHT (I've seen it once or twice) take that amount off the price of the car, but if they do it's money you could have gotten off just by negotiating.

It's just one of the reasons people believe car dealers are lying scum. Which in my opinion (having worked at one two different times) is always at least somewhat true. Even the "good ones" have a layer of the corruption, lying, and theft baked into their psyche if they've survived long enough to reach management or even be a successful salesmen. Scum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
youtube has tons of videos on closing the deal in the finance office, the only legitimate fees are Tax, Tag, and License

the rest are bullshit

Wrong.

Doc Fees are legit, they vary from state to state. Some states have a minimum and a maximum.  They are the fee's associated with title processing and paperwork. Mine are 100.00. Most dealers charge 150-250. Sadly some dealers use it as a profit center and charge upwards of $500.00.  Dealers don't just go down to the DMV and wait in line like a normal person. They have a separate person that handles their titling. Sometimes there are a dozen or more titles. The customers at the DMV would not be happy waiting for a dozen titles or more to get processed.

Horseshit. It's another incoming line item for the dealer's pocket. Nothing more.

You don't pay a "stock boy fee" or a "bookkeeper fee" at the grocery store. You're passing on a cost of doing business because you know once people have gotten that far in the deal they'll swallow it.

It's like the jagoffs that have a "rehoming fee" on Craigslist for their dog. It's not a rehoming fee. It's the price. You're selling your dog. If calling it something different makes you feel less guilty about that, you're not intelligent.

That said, most dealerships have doc fees for used cars and most won't budge on it. All the YouTube channels say to get the dealer to drop the doc fee. I've sold cars two different places, and those places had a total of 7 dealerships under their management, and they wouldn't give an inch on the doc fee. They MIGHT (I've seen it once or twice) take that amount off the price of the car, but if they do it's money you could have gotten off just by negotiating.

It's just one of the reasons people believe car dealers are lying scum. Which in my opinion (having worked at one two different times) is always at least somewhat true. Even the "good ones" have a layer of the corruption, lying, and theft baked into their psyche if they've survived long enough to reach management or even be a successful salesmen. Scum.

The grocery store also sells at a much much higher gross margin than dealerships and there's no negotiating at the grocery store either.  It sounds to mean that you are willing to pay MSRP for a vehicle because that's how your logic works

Doc fees cannot be negotiated because it is against the law to charge a person one amount and another person a different amount.  It's called a multi-million dollar class action lawsuit and I don't know of a single company that asks their customers to sue them out of existence.

It's just one of the reasons people know jackshit about what they think they know about car dealerships and are proud to put their ignorance on display for everyone to see
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Did you read anything in the initial post?

This is comical, and sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my BMW dealer tried that shit with me and iirc it was $425

and this is a dock op
http://www.vwdocks.com/_managedFiles/photoGallery/large/1497453953.jpg

Did you read anything in the initial post?

This is comical, and sad.

You might want to check how you spelled doc in the title.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The grocery store also sells at a much much higher gross margin than dealerships and there's no negotiating at the grocery store either.  It sounds to mean that you are willing to pay MSRP for a vehicle because that's how your logic works
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
youtube has tons of videos on closing the deal in the finance office, the only legitimate fees are Tax, Tag, and License

the rest are bullshit

Wrong.

Doc Fees are legit, they vary from state to state. Some states have a minimum and a maximum.  They are the fee's associated with title processing and paperwork. Mine are 100.00. Most dealers charge 150-250. Sadly some dealers use it as a profit center and charge upwards of $500.00.  Dealers don't just go down to the DMV and wait in line like a normal person. They have a separate person that handles their titling. Sometimes there are a dozen or more titles. The customers at the DMV would not be happy waiting for a dozen titles or more to get processed.

Krogers, Publix, and Walmart haven't lobbied for 50+ years in many states to keep direct to consumer grocery sales away either though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Krogers, Publix, and Walmart haven't lobbied for 50+ years in many states to keep direct to consumer grocery sales away either though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the rest are bullshit

Wrong.

What's your point, aside from the fact that you don't have one
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
GD has some dumb people here.  Expecting a business to eat an expense like doc fees, gas, lights or whatever.  No business eats any expense.  Ever.  If they want to stay in business.  ALL expenses and cost of doing business are passed to the consumer.  ALL.  It’s just a manner of how they do it and the transparency.  Damn.  
View Quote

Stop with your logic.  This is GD, they're all StEaLeRsHiPs
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ahhh yes the poor beleaguered car dealership owner. Maybe you can lobby for some minimum gross and net margin requirements too.

It's a scary world out there when you can't control all the information to a consumer base anymore.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I take issue with them adding expenses that we didn’t agree to, like an alarm I didn’t ask for or want
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GD has some dumb people here.  Expecting a business to eat an expense like doc fees, gas, lights or whatever.  No business eats any expense.  Ever.  If they want to stay in business.  ALL expenses and cost of doing business are passed to the consumer.  ALL.  It’s just a manner of how they do it and the transparency.  Damn.  

I take issue with them adding expenses that we didn’t agree to, like an alarm I didn’t ask for or want

Then don't buy the vehicle or tell them you'll buy the vehicle at MSRP minus the accessories you don't want.  It is not your dealership or inventory to dictate terms
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That’s fair enough because that’s close to fraud.  I’m referring more to legitimate expenses within the business they have to pass on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s fair enough because that’s close to fraud.  I’m referring more to legitimate expenses within the business they have to pass on.

Oh please please tell me how that is fraud
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bullshit. Title and tag in Georgia is $38 , $20 for the tag $18 for the title. Taxes are based on the value of the truck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Bullshit. Title and tag in Georgia is $38 , $20 for the tag $18 for the title. Taxes are based on the value of the truck

And Georgia processes that paperwork with magical unicorns that work for free?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Trying to understand: you're comparing the down payment plus monthly payments that include interest with the sticker price? WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This^
Set an out the door cost and stick to it.

Maybe I am just a little different, but I don’t look at OTD cost/price.

I figure in my down payment + (monthly payment X 60 months) = total overall price.

Then compare that to the sticker price.

Trying to understand: you're comparing the down payment plus monthly payments that include interest with the sticker price? WTF?

People like this are more common than you would ever believe
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Any dealer that says they MUST charge you a fee is to be viewed as suspicious.  For the last two cars I've bought from dealers (new and used) I didn't pay any documentation fees.  This includes both big dealers and small mom & pop outfits.  

If your dealer is feeding you that line, you need to fire them and find another dealer who understands the basic concept that everything is negotiable.  You negotiate a OTD fee and that's the price you pay.  

For the dealer apologists, here's my cards on the table (redacted):  

1. New Car - 2013 Infiniti G37 purchased in 2012.

Summary:
- MSRP ~$48k
- Negotiated OTD price down to just under ~$42,000
- Only "fee" was $10 for a paper tag (which was fully disclosed during negotiations)

Window sticker showing MSRP:

Attachment Attached File

Dealer bill of sale :

Attachment Attached File

This was a big dealer, with other auto franchises in the state.  Note the sole "fee" is the $10 paper tag fee, and how they "zeroed" out the former "messenger fee" by netting $-60 against the former $60 fee.  This dealer was straightforward and willing to deal, especially as this was in late December when you know all dealers are looking to hit year end numbers.  Use your leverage!

2.  Used car - 2014 Subaru Outback purchased in 2021

- Asking price: ~$17k
- Negotiated OTD price:  $15,500
- Fees:  $0

Dealer bill of sale:

Attachment Attached File

This dealer was a small mom & pop operation.  In fact I saw the kids running around the office when I picked up the car.    Again straightforward deal with no BS.  In this case my leverage was MUCH less because of the used car situation during the pandemic, but again if you find the right people at the dealership you will come away happy.  

To be clear, this meant that I had to go to the local auto tag place and pay TTL to make things square with the state.  (The new car was purchased in a state that doesn't charge sales tax.)  However, you're not going to get slammed for a $599 processing fee at your local auto tags place.  You can also go to your AAA office (if you are a member) and they will do the notary and everything for you.  

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me that I paid the documentation fee packed away in the total price.  That may be true, but it doesn't matter, because if you're happy with the OTD price they can call it a "raw herring food fee for the penguin" fee for all I care.  

If you're finding  a dealer that tries to hit you with additional fees after negotiating a OTD price, walk away.  There are other dealers, big and small, who will be up front and negotiate true OTD pricing.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doc fees cannot be negotiated because it is against the law to charge a person one amount and another person a different amount.  It's called a multi-million dollar class action lawsuit and I don't know of a single company that asks their customers to sue them out of existence.
View Quote

So make the doc fee $1. Or $0.01. Again, there’s no legitimate reason for a doc fee, except to reduce the advertised price of the vehicle because you know you’re charging it separately.

The $150 (or whatever it is), is getting paid either way. But an auto dealership is one of the only industries that advertises a price and then raises that price just to complete the transaction.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And who came up with those laws? I'm sure the dealerships lobbying the legislatures had absolutely nothing to do with most of those things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the rest are bullshit

Against the law for us not to charge you a doc fee.  You won't be leaving with a vehicle if you don't want to pay it.
And who came up with those laws? I'm sure the dealerships lobbying the legislatures had absolutely nothing to do with most of those things.

Anti-discrimination laws
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ahhh yes the poor beleaguered car dealership owner. Maybe you can lobby for some minimum gross and net margin requirements too.

It's a scary world out there when you can't control all the information to a consumer base anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we agree that you don't have a point and are just crying.  Got it
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So make the doc fee $1. Or $0.01. Again, there’s no legitimate reason for a doc fee, except to reduce the advertised price of the vehicle because you know you’re charging it separately.

The $150 (or whatever it is), is getting paid either way. But an auto dealership is one of the only industries that advertises a price and then raises that price just to complete the transaction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol derp.

No you're right, paying the officer workers salaries is not legitimate.  They should be forced to work for free
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry your decades of information asymmetry have been ruined by the internet.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lol derp.

No you're right, paying the officer workers salaries is not legitimate.  They should be forced to work for free
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So make the doc fee $1. Or $0.01. Again, there's no legitimate reason for a doc fee, except to reduce the advertised price of the vehicle because you know you're charging it separately.

Lol derp.

You can't or are unable to cost that into your price? Everyone else in the known business universe understands factoring in recurring and non-recurring costs into a price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
In Michigan the doc fee goes to the state for the dealer services section at the dmv. Buying privately disqualifies you from using these services and are not charged (obviously). All dealership auto sales are required to charge this fee. Ymmv by state.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#19]
My local dealer has great dock fees. I saved a fortune by paying through them. Great location too.   YMMV

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it tied up to a slip at the marina?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is it tied up to a slip at the marina?
View Quote
three seconds above your post.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lol derp.

View Quote

How do you not get this? No one is saying they should work for free. We’re all saying you shouldn’t tack it on top of the advertised price of the vehicle. If you advertise a car for $10,000, that price should include the entire vehicle and the process required to complete the purchase.

Do you have a janitorial fee for the guy that mops the floors at your dealership, or does he work for free? Do you have an electric bill fee? Is your salesman’s commission a separate line item that’s added on top of the vehicle price? Does someone buy a car and you say “well it was $10,000 but if you want tires on it, they’ll be an extra $1000.” Of course not.

You don’t charge a fee for every other overhead charge, so why charge one for processing the paperwork that is literally required to buy a car? Why is that price not included in the fee of the car? And if you’re required to charge some amount, as you claim, why is it not an insignificant number like one penny?

I’ll say it again: the only reason that dealers have a doc fee is so they can reduce the advertised price of the car and then tack on their added costs later after the customer is hooked.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A vehicle has to have tires for the customer to drive it off the lot, but there’s no tire fee. It’s assumed that it’s included in the advertised price of the car.
View Quote

I agree with you -- however, there are some states that charge tire fees.  Everyone should be warned that dealers will try to take advantage of buyers with non-legitimate (and some legitimate) fees.  

Check out this bill of sale I was using during negotiations recently for the purchase of a used Subaru:

Attachment Attached File

My take on the NJ state $1.50/tire fee was that it was so small it couldn't have been the typical dealer sham fee.  If it was the usual profit padding, they would have asked for a lot more than $1.50!  

As further points of interest on dealer fee shenanigans:

- Note how this dealer tried to tack on a $595 documentation fee AND a $150 title processing fee (parts in green).  Sounds like the same thing to me, right?  So not only could your local auto tag place do it for much less, they won't double charge you for basically a TTL transaction ....

- $450 for nitrogen in your tires! They struck that one out quickly, haha.  I prefer the standard 71% nitrogen blend that's available for free.  

- $399 for a "white glove" detail.    Being that I'm an AutoGeek afficionado I actually don't mind paying decent money for a good detail job.  However, $399 will get you much more elsewhere -- hell, that will normally get you a real wash, clay/decon and 2-stage polish from an AutoGeek "approved" detailer.  They struck this one out quickly as well.  

I didn't end up going with this dealer (for obvious reasons).  The message is clear - beware of the fees that dealers will try to push on you!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You can't or are unable to cost that into your price? Everyone else in the known business universe understands factoring in recurring and non-recurring costs into a price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So make the doc fee $1. Or $0.01. Again, there's no legitimate reason for a doc fee, except to reduce the advertised price of the vehicle because you know you're charging it separately.

Lol derp.

Lol no they don’t, not in the least.

Hotels, phone companies, internet companies, cable companies, restaurants, food delivery, utility companies, banks, hospitals, doctor's offices, every single online retailer that charges shipping.

Nearly the entire economy charges a service fee, convenience fee, surcharge, process & handling, etc fee on top of their advertised price.  The only reason GD doesn't cry about those is because the bad man at the dealership touched them
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any dealer that says they MUST charge you a fee is to be viewed as suspicious.  For the last two cars I've bought from dealers (new and used) I didn't pay any documentation fees.  This includes both big dealers and small mom & pop outfits.  

If your dealer is feeding you that line, you need to fire them and find another dealer who understands the basic concept that everything is negotiable.  You negotiate a OTD fee and that's the price you pay.  

For the dealer apologists, here's my cards on the table (redacted):  

1. New Car - 2013 Infiniti G37 purchased in 2012.

Summary:
- MSRP ~$48k
- Negotiated OTD price down to just under ~$42,000
- Only "fee" was $10 for a paper tag (which was fully disclosed during negotiations)

Window sticker showing MSRP:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130737/G37_window_sticker_jpg-1835221.JPG

Dealer bill of sale :

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130737/G37_invoice_jpg-1835268.JPG

This was a big dealer, with other auto franchises in the state.  Note the sole "fee" is the $10 paper tag fee, and how they "zeroed" out the former "messenger fee" by netting $-60 against the former $60 fee.  This dealer was straightforward and willing to deal, especially as this was in late December when you know all dealers are looking to hit year end numbers.  Use your leverage!

2.  Used car - 2014 Subaru Outback purchased in 2021

- Asking price: ~$17k
- Negotiated OTD price:  $15,500
- Fees:  $0

Dealer bill of sale:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130737/Subaru_invoice_jpg-1835233.JPG

This dealer was a small mom & pop operation.  In fact I saw the kids running around the office when I picked up the car.    Again straightforward deal with no BS.  In this case my leverage was MUCH less because of the used car situation during the pandemic, but again if you find the right people at the dealership you will come away happy.  

To be clear, this meant that I had to go to the local auto tag place and pay TTL to make things square with the state.  (The new car was purchased in a state that doesn't charge sales tax.)  However, you're not going to get slammed for a $599 processing fee at your local auto tags place.  You can also go to your AAA office (if you are a member) and they will do the notary and everything for you.  

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me that I paid the documentation fee packed away in the total price.  That may be true, but it doesn't matter, because if you're happy with the OTD price they can call it a "raw herring food fee for the penguin" fee for all I care.  

If you're finding  a dealer that tries to hit you with additional fees after negotiating a OTD price, walk away.  There are other dealers, big and small, who will be up front and negotiate true OTD pricing.  
View Quote

You must be out of state from the dealer for the Infiniti purchase. Temp Tags are free, In Transit cost the dealer 10 or 15 bucks. As for the doc, if they want to risk fines buy not charging one that is on them.  If they are audited and you weren't charged but other customers that is a big fine, and that is fact. The other wierd thing is that you bought the car new, and the G's have about 3k mark up from invoice to MSRP. They obviously used rebates or dealer Cash to get the price where you bought it.  They didn't list those which is also a big No No.

As for the mom and pop one, they are using a very generic purchase agreement not even typed. Tells me they sell cars as a hobby.  Probably don't have a staff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How do you not get this? No one is saying they should work for free. We’re all saying you shouldn’t tack it on top of the advertised price of the vehicle. If you advertise a car for $10,000, that price should include the entire vehicle and the process required to complete the purchase.

Do you have a janitorial fee for the guy that mops the floors at your dealership, or does he work for free? Do you have an electric bill fee? Is your salesman’s commission a separate line item that’s added on top of the vehicle price? Does someone buy a car and you say “well it was $10,000 but if you want tires on it, they’ll be an extra $1000.” Of course not.

You don’t charge a fee for every other overhead charge, so why charge one for processing the paperwork that is literally required to buy a car? Why is that price not included in the fee of the car? And if you’re required to charge some amount, as you claim, why is it not an insignificant number like one penny?

I’ll say it again: the only reason that dealers have a doc fee is so they can reduce the advertised price of the car and then tack on their added costs later after the customer is hooked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol derp.

How do you not understand that literally every time you have seen a vehicle advertised by a dealership online, tv, radio, print, or smoke signal, that dealership has their doc fee right there in the advertisement of the price.

If you are surprised by a doc fee at a dealership, it lies solely on your own ignorance rather than anything remotely to do with the dealership
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Having retired from the car business, I no longer really have a dog in this hunt. That said, I've seen the reluctance of dealers over the year to give to give a true OTD price too often, and in my mind it is actually counterproductive. By that, I mean it shows weakness on the dealerships part.  

People have to know what they are paying. When I was on the desk, every deal I sent out had had a full breakdown. Price, sales tax, plates and docs. Showing every number. But I didn't give them that number on the back of a business card to shop me. It was on a foursquare in blue sharpie. In a salesmans office.

2011 Belchfire .. 15550
State sales tax.. 1550
Plates . 350
Doc.. 150

OTD .. 17600

Now the customer has a price, and it's MY price. Ask them to buy it for that, or get to negotiating. Show the car on your feet, talk price in the seat. Anything else is just so much BS. The old school ways still work today, but dealerships and customers alike what to re-invent the wheel instead of selling and buying cars.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lol no they don't, not in the least.

Hotels, phone companies, internet companies, cable companies, restaurants, food delivery, utility companies, banks, hospitals, doctor's offices, every single online retailer that charges shipping.

Nearly the entire economy charges a service fee, convenience fee, surcharge, etc fee on top of their advertised price.  The only reason GD doesn't cry about those is because the bad man at the dealership touched them
View Quote
I'm sorry less people are falling for your bullshit these days and shopping elsewhere. My heart bleeds for you and your kind.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm sorry less people are falling for your bullshit these days and shopping elsewhere. My heart bleeds for you and your kind.
https://i.gifer.com/BJv.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nearly the entire economy charges a service fee, convenience fee, surcharge, etc fee on top of their advertised price.  The only reason GD doesn't cry about those is because the bad man at the dealership touched them

Business is great because bullshit never leaves my mouth.  Customers know they get 100% facts and great service so you should head over to the hospital for your bleeding heart and not forget to pay the surcharge at the bottom of your bill
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lol no they don’t, not in the least.

View Quote

Shipping and taxes are dynamic and based on the price, size, weight, etc. It varies per transaction based on the terms of the purchase.

A doc fee is a line item for the labor and fees that are required for every vehicle. Not the same as shipping or taxes. The paperwork is the same to transfer a $10k as a $150k car.

Service fees, convenience fees, etc. They’re the same as doc fees and people complain about them all the time. You’ve never seen a complaint about added fees? You sure you want to compare yourself to those businesses?

If I buy concert tickets, the price should be the price, I shouldn’t have to pay a “convenience fee” or a “service fee” just to pad Ticketmaster because they want to advertise a lower price. If I book a hotel, I shouldn’t have to pay a “resort fee” just because they want to say the room only costs $99 a night. And car dealers shouldn’t charge a doc fee just so they can knock $150 off the cars advertised price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Having retired from the car business, I no longer really have a dog in this hunt. That said, I've seen the reluctance of dealers over the year to give to give a true OTD price too often, and in my mind it is actually counterproductive. By that, I mean it shows weakness on the dealerships part.  

People have to know what they are paying. When I was on the desk, every deal I sent out had had a full breakdown. Price, sales tax, plates and docs. Showing every number. But I didn't give them that number on the back of a business card to shop me. It was on a foursquare in blue sharpie. In a salesmans office.

2011 Belchfire .. 15550
State sales tax.. 1550
Plates . 350
Doc.. 150

OTD .. 17600

Now the customer has a price, and it's MY price. Ask them to buy it for that, or get to negotiating. Show the car on your feet, talk price in the seat. Anything else is just so much BS. The old school ways still work today, but dealerships and customers alike what to re-invent the wheel instead of selling and buying cars.

View Quote

This 4 square? You are truly a salesman of the people.
https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/dealerships-rip-you-off-with-the-four-square-heres-how-to-beat-it/
http://www.realcartips.com/cardealers/211-4-square-method.shtml
https://www.centerforperformanceimprovement.com/teds-playbook/2019/3/2/the-four-square-technique-gives-the-retail-car-industry-a-bad-name
https://axleaddict.com/auto-sales/How-To-Use-The-Four-Square-System-To-Sell-Cars
https://wheelscene.com/four-square-car-sales/
https://themilitarywallet.com/how-to-negotiate-new-car-price/
https://www.edmunds.com/car-loan/four-square-basics.html
https://www.usedcars.com/advice/car-buying/conquering-the-car-dealer-four-squares-3349/
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Someone here might confirm this but I bet it has to do more with commission. Commission is based on the actual price of the vehicle and all the other fees go to the dealer. Dealers don't want to pay commission on doc fees or other expenses. So sone dealers won't budge on the doc fee no matter what. Did I get this right?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh look, the monthly “car dealership is a scam” thread. Time to read all these expert buyers telling us how they get all the best deals and tell the dealer off while doing it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Against the law for us not to charge you a doc fee.  You won't be leaving with a vehicle if you don't want to pay it.
View Quote

What Arizona law requires you to charge a document fee? 44-281 allows you to charge one, but does not require it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You're missing his point, and I agree with him. Doc fees are bullshit.

No one is arguing that it doesn't cost a dealer money to process documents. ...
View Quote
Applying some critical thinking, and including some comments from other replies, it's entirely possible that they want to account for costs related to a specific vehicle by giving them individual itemization in their record for that vehicle. Car-x internal cost = acquisition + shipping + refurb + paperwork processing + test drive gas + ...

It's when some of those costs are shaved off the advertised "price of the car" and presented as add-ons in the fine print that we are justified in being cranky.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

(Snip)..... If you want to know the total cost, just ask. It is not like we are hiding it....

(/snip)
View Quote

But what are the kickbacks you get from lenders and/or whatever other incentives from the manufacturer your dealership gets for selling X amount of vehicles per month/quarter/year?

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the rest are bullshit

Wrong.

Ive had to process 13 titles once, and it takes for freaking ever. MVD workers here move like old people fuck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Someone here might confirm this but I bet it has to do more with commission. Commission is based on the actual price of the vehicle and all the other fees go to the dealer. Dealers don't want to pay commission on doc fees or other expenses. So sone dealers won't budge on the doc fee no matter what. Did I get this right?
View Quote

No.

The problem is that fees can vary greatly. In state vs out of state, also even fees vary within a state depending on where you live.  Vehciles price and doc is what dealers are responsible for. The Taxes fees and registration are government which dealers have nothing to do with. A dealer can calculate the fees, just have to ask for the break down and they will tell you.  I have no idea what they tax and registration are in California. A California resident gets me the sale price and doc fee. They get the title and take care of the rest.

Heck new car incentives vary by regions. There may be a extra 500 for the St Louis region vs Chicago region. But if my resdential zip is in Chicago and I buy the vehicle in St Louis region I don't get the extra 500.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#39]
People that complain about a Doc fee are literally some of the most retarded fucking people on planet Earth. Doc fee, my lunch fee, a fuck you because your a dumb motherfucker and have a bulldozer for a wife fee, it dont matter. Out...the...door...price is all that matters. I’ve had stupid dumb cocksuckers that were probably brought into this world through a mixture of alcohol and inbreeding leave the dealership over doc fees to go buy somewhere else that cost them more overall because “ya’ll are playin games trying to screw me!!!!!” Fucking cry-baby loser inbred grown men will turn into a fucking loser bitch over $150 standard fee (that everyone charges) when buying a $50,000 truck. Its ridiculous. Probably because their loser toothless uncle/grand-daddy (who hasn't bought a car in 40 years) tells them they are getting fucked if they pay any fees. Idiots.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make yourself look more foolish with every post in this thread. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I am currently in the market for a replacement vehicle as I nurse my 20 year old vehicle along waiting to find the model I want. It will be a certified vehicle and I will be paying cash. Here in New York, there are the government mandated fees of tax, title and registration. After that it is what the dealership can get away with. If they tell me I can have the vehicle for $xx,xxx and then tell me it will be plus $yyy in add-on fees unrelated to the three I mentioned then the $xx,xxx is not the price we agreed on. Plain and simple. The "overhead" (lights, heat, water, property tax, salaries, etc.) come out of the sale price just like any other business. As others have noted, I do not check out at the supermarket and then get handed an extra $5 charge called "cashier fee". If the dealership cannot make a profit on the price they quote that is on them to get their act together. Of course the idea of low-balling the price is to make the deal look better than what another dealer is giving you until you find out that they too would do the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You are way wrong, but that's fine. Feel free to look up all my posts regarding car buying.  I have nothing to hide and nothing to lie about. Been in the business for 21 years.  I have done everything from Mechanic, to Sevice Manger, to Sales, to Finance Manager, to General Manager and most recently now a Owning Partner.  People make the car business way more complicated than it is.  Obviously you don't own a business or know how one works. And on top of it, most places wouldn't try to sell you a vehicle with a attitude like that. That's why customers with your attitude get blown off, ignored, they won't negotiate or even just tell you no. Dealers will save the effort for customers that actually will benefit they're business (not necessarily monetarily).  Chances are if you have your attitude, your not going to recommend people to come to my dealership no matter what, you are not going to spend money for service, you are not going to mention me.  In fact, no matter what your ALWAYS going to have a chip on your shoulder, no matter what or how far I try to make you happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are way wrong, but that's fine. Feel free to look up all my posts regarding car buying.  I have nothing to hide and nothing to lie about. Been in the business for 21 years.  I have done everything from Mechanic, to Sevice Manger, to Sales, to Finance Manager, to General Manager and most recently now a Owning Partner.  People make the car business way more complicated than it is.  Obviously you don't own a business or know how one works. And on top of it, most places wouldn't try to sell you a vehicle with a attitude like that. That's why customers with your attitude get blown off, ignored, they won't negotiate or even just tell you no. Dealers will save the effort for customers that actually will benefit they're business (not necessarily monetarily).  Chances are if you have your attitude, your not going to recommend people to come to my dealership no matter what, you are not going to spend money for service, you are not going to mention me.  In fact, no matter what your ALWAYS going to have a chip on your shoulder, no matter what or how far I try to make you happy.

You miss the point.

I’ve been selling shit in 250,000 sq ft warehouses for decades and I have a price plus tax.

Buy lumber? The price on the rack plus tax.

Buy a $7,000 zero turn mower? The price on the mower plus tax. I’ll register the warranty for you and not charge a fee, my profit is in the retail price.

Buy a $4,000 trailer? The price on the trailer plus tax. I don’t charge a fee because a title is involved.

Want me to build you a deck for $5,000? I don’t charge $5,000 plus a $50 fee because I have to go pull a permit, it’s all built into the $5,000.

Selling something for a price and then adding fees is bullshit. I get it, it’s “standard in the industry”.

Do you get why people don’t have trust in your industry?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You make yourself look more foolish with every post in this thread. You have no idea what you are talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the dealer butthurt in these threads. It's delicious.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What Arizona law requires you to charge a document fee? 44-281 allows you to charge one, but does not require it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anti-discrimination
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wrong.

View Quote

build it in the price or get that shit out of here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll never forget my experience buying the first and only new vehicle. It was a sweet new Ninja 650 and I had all my hard earned money ready to go.

I get to the final details and suddenly it's 700 bucks more then I had been told. I ask and they inform me it's a fucking "unboxing fee" to get it off the shelf.

I ask for the one that I was shown not on the shelf and get told they charge it for all bikes.

I went to a different dealership and paid almost 1k less for a fucking newer bike. Last time I ever went to a bike specific dealership instead of a regular car dealership that had bikes as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's exactly how it works in WA. No commission paid on doc fees. It's not gross.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

People like this are more common than you would ever believe
View Quote

You don’t get it either, huh?

Ultimately, when you get right down to it, I am not really buying a vehicle.  I am buying the piece of paper, the title that says I own that vehicle.

The sticker price today might be $50,000, but 60 months from now, I will have shelled a total of $65,000 to get that title in my name and in my hand.

Let’s say in another example my car payment is $500 per month.

Forgetting about the current scamdemic and the run on all things guns and ammo for just a minute, let’s say a Glock costs $500.

You do understand the concept of “opportunity cost”, right?

So for 60 months I am giving up on buying a new Glock each month.

As a side note, the last time I went to a dealer and was getting ready to buy a car, I saw the finance guy literally cringe when I pulled a for real calculator out of my pocket and punched in what he stated the monthly payment  would be and punched in X 60 .

My job is to limit the number of hands reaching into my pocket and the amount each hand pulls out.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Anti-discrimination
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anti-discrimination

So to be clear, there is no law that requires you to charge a document fee; only a law that requires you charge every customer the same fee if you charge anything?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Last September when we bought the Raptor, they dealership had agreed upon price (6.5 under MSRP), a 135 dollar doc fee and that was it. Nothing more added on. Most painless car deal I have ever been a part of period.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top