Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
So for a truck gun: this loaded in a 10.5" 300, or m193 in a 10.5" 5.56??
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
We already know that OTM isn’t the same as hollowpoint.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I gotta vote for the 5.56. But I would splurge on something heavy and bonded. M193 is less impressive from a 10" barrel, or even a 16" barrel for that matter. Shorter barrels like heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This. There's also no cavity in the tip of the core as is common with hollow points.
View Quote
Many Russian hollow point projectiles have a cavity and they act just like FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. M193 easy. From those choices. My truck gun is a 10.5" loaded with M855A1.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol. M193 easy. From those choices. My truck gun is a 10.5" loaded with M855A1.
View Quote
Of course M855a1.

But if it was just between this and the 193, why would you choose the 193 easily for this situation?

The 300 is going to be more barrier blind (windshields) and hit harder at distance which may come in play in this situation.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Of course M855a1.

But if it was just between this and the 193, why would you choose the 193 easily for this situation?

The 300 is going to be more barrier blind (windshields) and hit harder at distance which may come in play in this situation.
View Quote
Dude, they'll both punch through windshields just fine. Barrier blind means that a projectile performs as close to the same after a barrier as it would have without it. While you can technically say that something is barrier blind if it sucks equally after passing through a barrier, that's kind of missing the forest for the trees.

M193 will fragment and seriously ruin your day when barriers are not involved. I don't know how it will do with barriers, but it will definitely get through and put holes in a bad guy behind auto glass or sheet metal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dude, they'll both punch through windshields just fine. Barrier blind means that a projectile performs as close to the same after a barrier as it would have without it. While you can technically say that something is barrier blind if it sucks equally after passing through a barrier, that's kind of missing the forest for the trees.

M193 will fragment and seriously ruin your day when barriers are not involved. I don't know how it will do with barriers, but it will definitely get through and put holes in a bad guy behind auto glass or sheet metal.
View Quote
Yeah barrier blind was the wrong choice of words.

What I meant was that I would think the lighter 193 would be more likely to ricochet or divert course off a windshield at a slight angle than the heavier 300 would..?..?.?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah barrier blind was the wrong choice of words.

What I meant was that I would think the lighter 193 would be more likely to ricochet or divert course off a windshield at a slight angle than the heavier 300 would..?..?.?
View Quote
That's a good point and I guess an important part of barrier performance is exactly that. Is the difference that much?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
If both are coming out of 10.5" barrels, the .300 will be less painful to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just more selective application of the rules. Par for the course.
View Quote
Holy fucking shit.

There are a metric shit ton of motherfuckers on this board that have been banned and then unbanned.

It ain't even uncommon.

You should go start a thread about "not renewing."  That'll fucking teach 'em.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did on my own channel years ago, but you're right. I ought to redo the test for this channel on high speed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now do a Barnes 110 gr TAC tx...
I did on my own channel years ago, but you're right. I ought to redo the test for this channel on high speed.
@chopinbloc please do!

Could you do a side by side comparison of Barnes 110 tac-tx and fiocchi 125gr SST both out of an 8-9" barrel? I'd send you a box of each for the test if so. Unless you know it's been compared before and can send a link. Thanks for the videos!
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Open Tip Match bullets ARE NOT HOLLOW POINTS!  They are not designed to expand in any caliber. They are target ammo designed to be accurate. What part of this don't you understand? The tip is left open as part of the manufacturing process to help assure uniform and consistent weight and dimensions for target shooting. They aren't designed for hunting or self defense. Can they be used for such purposes?  Yes, just like FMJ can, and with many of the same limitations,  but with greater accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In the course of your life on the Internet, you might see two or maybe even three posts as good as this one. I tip my hat, sir.
View Quote
That's by far the kindest thing anyone on the internet has ever said to me. Actually, that's probably the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me ever.

Truth be told, though, I was just repeating what's been common knowledge for many, many years now. If memory serves, there are studies saying as much going back before Vietnam, and I'm convinced that those studies were pretty much just putting what was already common knowledge to the scientific test.

Unfortunately, the gun community has been getting hoodwinked by fancy marketing campaigns in the last 30 something years. Hollow points and ballistics gel coming into common usage at about the same time as the rise of the gun mags is responsible for that. Now we have all these people obsessing over expanded diameters and cavity widths in gel, and the bullet makers are capitalizing on it big time.

The bottom line for me is that a bullet with enough energy to cause cavitation is virtually bound to do it regardless of how it's designed, and a bullet without enough energy won't cause cavitation no matter how its designed. That's not to say that things can't be optimized a little bit, but not nearly to the extent that the manufacturers would have us believe. And even if you're sucking every last ounce of horsepower out of it, that will never change the underlying principle that shot placement is 99% of success. Hit someone in the heart or head, and the fight's almost certain to be over in seconds. Miss the heart or head, even by an inch, and it's probably not going to have any immediate effect whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's by far the kindest thing anyone on the internet has ever said to me. Actually, that's probably the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me ever.

Truth be told, though, I was just repeating what's been common knowledge for many, many years now. If memory serves, there are studies saying as much going back before Vietnam, and I'm convinced that those studies were pretty much just putting what was already common knowledge to the scientific test.

Unfortunately, the gun community has been getting hoodwinked by fancy marketing campaigns in the last 30 something years. Hollow points and ballistics gel coming into common usage at about the same time as the rise of the gun mags is responsible for that. Now we have all these people obsessing over expanded diameters and cavity widths in gel, and the bullet makers are capitalizing on it big time.

The bottom line for me is that a bullet with enough energy to cause cavitation is virtually bound to do it regardless of how it's designed, and a bullet without enough energy won't cause cavitation no matter how its designed. That's not to say that things can't be optimized a little bit, but not nearly to the extent that the manufacturers would have us believe. And even if you're sucking every last ounce of horsepower out of it, that will never change the underlying principle that shot placement is 99% of success. Hit someone in the heart or head, and the fight's almost certain to be over in seconds. Miss the heart or head, even by an inch, and it's probably not going to have any immediate effect whatsoever.
View Quote
Part of it is bleed over from hunting too.  A hunter, lying in ambush to kill his unsuspecting victim with (hopefully) one well-placed shot, needs to consider the properties of his projectile very carefully.

A comment on your comment- with people, the mindset of the target being shot is a big component in the equation, so a factor of shot placement is just placing a lot of shots.  In one shooting I'm familiar with, the bad guy was a rifle-armed former Marine who was remarkably unwilling to concede that he was dead after sustaining plenty of fatal rounds.

If Andrew the Blue Falcon of Chopping Blocks wanted to do something interesting with ammo, he'd test accuracy of commercial ammo loadings in multiple different guns.

That would be interesting.  Accuracy is interesting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...remarkably unwilling to concede that he was dead after sustaining plenty of fatal rounds.
View Quote
Should have used .45 ACP.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Should have used .45 ACP.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
View Quote
.45 ACP is too powerful....it would have moved the earth off axis.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Since this is semi-related.

What is better...expansion or fragmentation?

My guess is that expansion is much more reliable, consistent across velocities, and can be barrier blind.....but fragmentation is more deadly.   Expansion turns a small hole into a bigger hole.  Fragmentation turn a small hole into a mini-grenade (assuming it does fragment).
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If Andrew the Blue Falcon of Chopping Blocks wanted to do something interesting with ammo, he'd test accuracy of commercial ammo loadings in multiple different guns.

View Quote
That would INDEED be an extraordinarily interesting video.

I have a CZ527 that is chambered in 7.62x39 that is wonderfully accurate with... Wolf. Like stupid corny accurate.

As in, accurate enough that I wish they would do another 1 MOA all day challenge because while I might not come in at 1 MOA, I am pretty sure 2 MOA is entirely doable... with WOLF Steel case. Many people poo poo the cartridge because it is shot primarily from a rifle with tolerances so loose when you shake it you hear things bouncing around, but just because a given weapon is inaccurate does not mean the cartridge is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My guess is that expansion is much more reliable, consistent across velocities, and can be barrier blind.....but fragmentation is more deadly.   Expansion turns a small hole into a bigger hole.  Fragmentation turn a small hole into a mini-grenade (assuming it does fragment).
View Quote
I think you answered your own question, and beleive you're correct on all points.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve never been one to see fragmentation as being a particularly good thing.

For a timely cessation of hostilities you have to more or less destroy the heart. A fragment, on the off chance that it just so happens to hit something important, isn’t going to do that. And it’s taking away mass from the main projectile, which isn’t going to help its chances either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would hope that by now people would know this. If you really want to kill something quick with a 300 you have two options. Sonic loads with 110 gr barns x or Hornady sst or subsonic with the $$$ pre fragmented copper bullets such as Lehigh. Everything else is plinking ammo.
View Quote
This!  And why is it blue?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We already know that OTM isn’t the same as hollowpoint.
View Quote
/devilsadvocate

YOU may know that but, the average gun owner is average and, we all know how fucking stupid average people are...
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL, 220gr subs out of an 8 inch at 100 yards are in the 800fps area. Way Way way under the opening velocity needed. Most all 30 cal bullets are built around a 1700fps speed. Varmint designs dip lower due to thinner jacket (about 1200).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a problem with like half of the 300BLK on the market, and I think it cripples the popularity of the round when these projectiles perform suboptimally, which is to be expected given they are shooting several hundred of FPS lower than originally designed.
LOL, 220gr subs out of an 8 inch at 100 yards are in the 800fps area. Way Way way under the opening velocity needed. Most all 30 cal bullets are built around a 1700fps speed. Varmint designs dip lower due to thinner jacket (about 1200).
220s are still going over 800 fps at 800 yards.  At 100 yards, they are barely slower than muzzle velocity.

Drag does not affect subs like it does with supersonic projectiles.

However, the overall point of your post is accurate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would hope that by now people would know this. If you really want to kill something quick with a 300 you have two options. Sonic loads with 110 gr barns x or Hornady sst or subsonic with the $$$ pre fragmented copper bullets such as Lehigh. Everything else is plinking ammo.
View Quote
Not true. There are quite a few 300 loads that would do an excellent job at killing things.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lehigh Defense 300 Blackout 194 Subsonic ME 400 Yards Lightning Strikes Twice!, Part 2
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now do a Barnes 110 gr TAC tx...
View Quote
Or a 110 Varmageddon or V-max
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#28]
My understanding is open tip rounds are steel target friendly compared to FMJ for non match uses. A cheap to produce frangible projectile for range use. is the Magtech 115 OT an understudy range round for a duty load?

The jacket of Open tip bullets when shot into water will usually turn into a jagged flatish sheet of metal which cuts down on the chance of ricohet compared to FMJ. I used to shoot across a lake quite a bit at floating targets. and used creek pools as back stops.

The jacket usually tears and turns into a flatish sheet of metal, the core turns to fragments. FMJ just spins itself out then sinks more or less whole, or at shallow angles skips like a stone.

>>Don't shoot either into a body of water tho unless there is no chance someone is within a couple miles in any direction.

My point is open tip does not = FMJ.

If it hits bone and yaws there is a good chance the jacket will separate and the core will fragment, neither create any significant wound channels once that happens.

The jacket will generally stay in 1 big crinkled chunk and stops pretty much where the bullet splits in flesh. The core will be broken chunks of lead.

I have shot a lot of 7.62x39 open tip. It is barrier blind against some stuff, but overall pretty unpredictable when it comes to shooting through live stuff at standard 16" AK velocity.

At 8" barrel velocities of around 2000 FPS I'm not sure if the jacket would separate if it were to deform and yaw.

Also not sure if Magtech Open tip bullets are manufactured the same as Russian OT x39 projectiles. IIRC x39 Russian stuff is bimetal jacketed boat tails.

I don't know if you have access to fresh pig bones, but inserting a thick bit of shoulder, leg or spinal bone into the gel and then shooting through it may help you simulate what a bullet will do after hitting bone in a live target. Maybe wrap it in plastic to keep the bone fragments from tainting your gel.

Any butcher shop should have plenty of bones that they would part with.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I’d like to see a test with the Speer 125 or 110 tnt bullet.

I’ll bet they would expand nicely at 300 BO velocities.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Try the Sierra 135 grain varmiter or the Speer 150 gold dot bullets for expansion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Try the Sierra 135 grain varmiter or the Speer 150 gold dot bullets for expansion.
View Quote
Mrgunsngear did a gel test with the 150g fusion soft points that did quite well. I would imagine the Gold Dots would be similar.

I wish Speer would produce a 110-115g version.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@chopinbloc please do!

Could you do a side by side comparison of Barnes 110 tac-tx and fiocchi 125gr SST both out of an 8-9" barrel? I'd send you a box of each for the test if so. Unless you know it's been compared before and can send a link. Thanks for the videos!
View Quote
I don't really do side by side comparisons much. That's the point of keeping variables controlled. But I can add them to the list, if you want. Email me at [email protected] if you'd like to donate ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
First.....I appreciate the testing....but man, what did .300blk do to you as a child?  You really hate it.

With that said, I'm not sure if anyone is shocked by the results.   I run the 75gr/77gr stuff in 5.56, because we all know that "if" they are going fast enough, they will fragment...even if that isn't what they were designed to do.  Same could be said for 55gr FMJ out of long barrels for that matter.

In .300blk, there are a handful of good factory loads that expand or fragment:
78gr Lehigh HVCQ
110gr Barnes Tac-TX,
110gr Hornady Black V-max
110gr Nosler Varmageddon
115gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos
125gr Fiocchi SST
194gr Lehigh Subsonic Maximum Expansion

One that I would really like to see is the 110gr Hornady GMX Full Boar.  Looks a lot like Hornady's answer to the Tac-TX (just not as pretty when it is expanded).
View Quote
You forgot the Speer 130gr HP.

EDIT: My bad, didn't see "factory load".
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#34]
"At least 200 fps slower than a 7.62x39 with same bullet weight"

This may be true in longer barrels, 16"+ compared to 300, but the shorter you go the 300 catches up.

Get down around 10-11" barrels and they're pretty much identical in muzzle velocity. Shorter than that, and this is where a lot of the 762x39 slower burning powder really starts to get wasted and the 300 may actually start producing faster velocities than the X39 with similar bullet weights..

My draco with an 11.5" barrel averages 2167 fps with 123g Federal fusion. My 10.5" 300 averages 2183 fps with these  115g Magtechs. Yes, the 300 bullet is 8gr lighter, but it is also coming out of a one inch shorter barrel.

I'm not 100% certain of this, but I believe most .308 bullets have a higher BC than the .311 7.62x39 as well and retains its velocity better at distance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#35]
No surprises, good stuff tho
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sorry to belabor the point, but you didn't just repeat what we've known to be true, you did it in a concise and articulate manner that really deserves to be in a pinned post or FAQ or something.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol. That's what people want to watch. Nothing more riveting than looking at holes in paper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

/devilsadvocate

YOU may know that but, the average gun owner is average and, we all know how fucking stupid average people are...
View Quote
Dude, I just found out that, like half of people are below average. Can you believe that?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I’ve never been one to see fragmentation as being a particularly good thing.

For a timely cessation of hostilities you have to more or less destroy the heart. A fragment, on the off chance that it just so happens to hit something important, isn’t going to do that. And it’s taking away mass from the main projectile, which isn’t going to help its chances either.
View Quote
Is there a correlation with caliber and velocity in terms of fragmentation vs expansion?

We've spent decades making a small caliber, high velocity (fragmenting) bullet work better as barrels got shorter and velocity (fragmentation) dropped, so we view everything though the eyes going from fragmentation to controlled expansion in order to keep that small bullet punching above its weight.....because that small bullet is in everything we know.   Do folks on AK forums talk about making sure their ammo is barrier blind, or is the assumption that 123gr anything is going to punch through whatever is in front of it?

I ask all of this because if we start looking beyond 5.56 rounds....we may have the opportunity to see rounds that do BOTH (and not just M855A1).

I'm trying to keep my confirmation bias in check....but....in looking at the 110gr varmints, along with the 115gr Lehigh CC,....I actually see rounds that do both.    If we are good with sub 55gr, .223 round that expand,....we should be good with a .308 round that sends a 40gr-60gr expanded chunk of lead anywhere between 12 and 19 inches deep, along with the same amount of lead and copper "seasoning" throughout the bad guys body.   There are threads on .300blk varmint rounds, but it still seems like it is an either/or discussion....probably because we still look at things through the 5.56 lenses where it basically is one or the other since their isn't enough weight to do both.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm sorry to belabor the point, but you didn't just repeat what we've known to be true, you did it in a concise and articulate manner that really deserves to be in a pinned post or FAQ or something.
View Quote
Belabor all you want. It’s not often that people agree with me, so I like to enjoy it when it happens.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#41]
DAGNABBIT!

My phone has a way of eating pics and making them disappear.

The last .300 Blackout thread you guys did, some boolit casters posted pics of their hollow point boolits that were from some NOE mould.

I swear I did a "right click save as" on my phone to save those pics.

Those cast boolits had some sweet.... wide hollow cavities in the nose.

Anywhooo....

That Barnes TAC-TX is kinda spendy.

My local Cabelas ammo:

Attachment Attached File

Sooo...2 bucks per round... basically...before taxes

And then the closest projectiles I could find:

Attachment Attached File

74 cents a round before taxes.

Cha ching!

Hence my interest in the cast hollow points.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

[...]
I like how my initial question has been ignored. I guess unbanning people and changing their name was supposed to go unnoticed? If you click old Bluefalcon threads and go to user info it takes you to @chopinbloc
View All Quotes
Quoted:

[...]
I like how my initial question has been ignored. I guess unbanning people and changing their name was supposed to go unnoticed? If you click old Bluefalcon threads and go to user info it takes you to @chopinbloc
Chopin was unbanned and it's been covered in other recent threads featuring his content. We think of "ban" as "banished" but that's not the case, so he's back. Also, looks like ARF was seeking out content.
The 300 Blackout analogies are getting so lazy. And seems like most people aren't as into this fight as there used to be. Is the side effect of absurdity people realizing that it's not worth the effort to hate (or fanboy) about the caliber? Ten years seems like enough time to fizzle out. Maybe that's Chop's secret goal, like how nothing in Alanis Morissette's Ironic was ironic, thereby making the song ironic.

There are so many, many things you can do with a Stoner pattern firearm. There's, what, 50 different calibers this thing chambers in? If this is all you got, maybe have a chat with the writer's room. Where's the video of the AK and 300 shooting at each other with the slugs colliding in mid air? Let's settle this.

Real talk, the 300 running 15% less energy in supersonic at the muzzle near 1,300 ft lbs feels statistically weighty. If we're being straight, though, do you know what the state of Texas requires as the minimum energy allowed to hunt big game?

215 foot pounds. Two-hundred fifteen is the floor. The weakling twin analogy should be getting hit by Terminator Arnold vs Thor Hemsworth. Yeah Arnold is going to hurt you more, but is that much difference going to matter.

Quoted:

Dude, I just found out that, like half of people are below average. Can you believe that?
Which half does the majority of regular viewership fall under, I wonder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The weakling twin analogy should be getting hit by Terminator Arnold vs Thor Hemsworth. Yeah Arnold is going to hurt you more, but is that much difference going to matter.
View Quote
This is really good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#45]
That baby tape measure always cracks me up. It’s so cute ...
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What are your thoughts on this as it relates to Lehigh and other fluted bullets at handgun speeds? I initially thought it was pure fuckery, considering Lehigh never mentioned anything about improved wounding when they introduced their Extreme Penetrator line, which didn't penetrate very extremely. And then they latched onto the idea of improved wounding after amateur YouTube testers exclaimed about the disturbance seen in gel. I tried to disprove the idea that flutes contribute to wounding, but I have been unable to do so in gelatin.

It appears that fluted bullets do indeed produce substantial disruption in gel and in dead meat. So the only question remaining for me is whether the larger TSC they produce is enough to create wounding in living tissue that meets or exceeds the capability of traditional JHP. To put a finer point on it:

Would a 9mm fluted bullet in the Lehigh style produce more, less, or about the same wounding as a 9mm 124gr HST?
View Quote
think of the a saw blade rather than a knife blade....a smooth knife blade make a clean cut a dull saw blade make a ragged torn cut....but at bullet speeds.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#47]
@chopinbloc

Any way you can retest the Remington 120g otm? I've heard that they're no longer using  a Barnes loading, and wonder if they still perform.

ETA: If you don't have any on hand, I can send you 10 on a stripper clip.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@chopinbloc

Any way you can retest the Remington 120g otm? I've heard that they're no longer using  a Barnes loading, and wonder if they still perform.

ETA: If you don't have any on hand, I can send you 10 on a stripper clip.
View Quote
I can't promise how long it might be, but I can add it to the queue. Email me at [email protected].
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Decided to run out to the property today and shoot a Rem 120g OTM into some water jugs using my 8" 300.
I'd say it did pretty well.

Found some very small pieces of lead in the 1st jug, 2nd jug was destroyed, and what is in the picture was in the 3rd jug except for the piece of copper jacket that you see on the right of the picture. That piece, and possibly others, exited the 3rd jug and I found it laying beside the jug.

Not sure if it matters, but when I tried this a year ago with the Barnes loading the core didnt really flatten out like it did this time.

Still like to see this in gel so I can see exactly when it opens up. I know it opened withi 6" of water, but not sure how that really translates to gel/flesh. So, @chopinbloc if your address hasn't changed in the last year, then Ill send a few of these to you like I did the Varmageddon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Decided to run out to the property today and shoot a Rem 120g OTM into some water jugs using my 8" 300.
I'd say it did pretty well.

https://i.imgur.com/qAnDYQR.jpg

Found some very small pieces of lead in the 1st jug, 2nd jug was destroyed, and what is in the picture was in the 3rd jug except for the piece of copper jacket that you see on the right of the picture. That piece, and possibly others, exited the 3rd jug and I found it laying beside the jug.

Not sure if it matters, but when I tried this a year ago with the Barnes loading the core didnt really flatten out like it did this time.

Still like to see this in gel so I can see exactly when it opens up. I know it opened withi 6" of water, but not sure how that really translates to gel/flesh. So, @chopinbloc if your address hasn't changed in the last year, then Ill send a few of these to you like I did the Varmageddon.
View Quote
Awesome! Thank you for your support. I believe you are correct. The OTFB in my earlier test had kind of modest fragmentation. This looks more substantial.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top