Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I try not to eat at restaurants that serve coke products. I prefer Pepsi products

Commie.

Actually....

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody goes to a restaurant for their soda options, nobody. For that reason, having a single alternative of Coke or Pepsi products is more than enough drink options.

Carrying more types of drinks is expensive. Not only do you have to store the extra product, but you have to have more equipment to serve it. Not to mention lost productivity due to waitresses asking "Coke or Pepsi?" when someone orders a cola, or the extra order that has to be made to keep inventory up.

In short, it is a large cost for something that won't earn extra revenue.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I try not to eat at restaurants that serve coke products. I prefer Pepsi products

Commie.

Actually....

http://creationsciencestudy.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/coca-cola-china.jpg

Clearly, a disinformation campaign.  

link
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's been a while but from memory, I remember Coke costing around $5 per gallon pre-mix and Pepsi offered our restaurants the same setup with a cost of $2.75-2.90 per gallon and they were cheaper on the secondary brands like Mountain Dew, etc and Coke's price was straight across the board the same for all brands.(Some one help me out...on the 5-gal premix, would I be right at $5 per gal or $5 per 5-gal? It's been 20 years since I worked restaurants.)

Of course, once I took over that company, I called Coke in on it and got much better pricing. [/div]

Are you confusing pre-mix and post-mix? Pre-mix is just that, ready to drink –– much like a bottle or can. Post-mix the BIB set up with a carbonator, CO2 tank, pumps, etc, etc.

A 5gal BIB will yield 30 gallons of finished soda. We charge $1.89 per 32oz cup of soda and average about 122 cups per BIB or about $230.58 per $68 BIB.

Shit. I knew I messed that up. Thanks for the cleaning that up for me.

[div]

[/div]
[div] [/div]
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Clearly, a disinformation campaign.  

link

Meh. Means little, down here in the south, everything is coke.

Lady: What would you like to drink sir?
Southerner: Coke please.
Lady: OK. What kind?

Quoted:
Shit. I knew I messed that up. Thanks for the cleaning that up for me.

No worries. The real profit is in the post-mix stuff. Pre-mix tends to cost dollars more.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Pepsi is for Commies
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
And why can't I get a goddamned Whopper at McDonalds?!!!!

WTF UP WITH THAT????
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
If I ran a restaurant, I wouldn't serve either of those poisons.
You want that shit, you can go down the street to Wendy's
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I ran a restaurant, I wouldn't serve either of those poisons.
You want that shit, you can go down the street to Wendy's

What would you serve your customers then? Do tell.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe because the bottlers have you sign an exclusive contract.

You get premium pricing structures by signing an exclusive contract.

If you're not exclusive, you can expect a hefty increase in costs.

A business is all about lowering cost. Further, fountain drinks are one of the highest margin products in a restaurant, outside of alcohol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Business, how does it work ?

Most people have a preference of Coke over Pepsi or vise versa. So why not give the customer a choice of both instead of making them settle for something they don't want?

Pepsi undercuts Coke's prices HEAVILY.  

I work for Coke and this is true.

Go buy a 1.25L of Coke.  Now go buy a 1.5L of Pepsi.  The price is the same.  Pepsi does this with everything.  Products, contracts with restaurants, ect.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just wanna know why the places that serve Pepsi product never have fucking diet Mountain Dew on tap?

Dammit I drink diet, and diet Pepsi is fucking disgusting.

I can answer that one too.  I used to have diet pepsi, diet dr pepper and diet Mt dew.  when I went exclusive and had to pick up a rootbeer and sierra mist from pepsi, there was not enough spots on a dispenser (my 2 machines can have 10 flavors) for 3 diets.  Looking at my past years sales diet Mt dew was the smallest percentage of my sales and it went away.

Fair enough, you do sell beer right?

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
You can serve bottled beverages with out much issue, but usually its a supply thing. Coke pays tons of money to have places serve their stuff. The machine for me was free, and coke pays back almost 10% cash back at the end of each year. Something like $8-$12k. I'm required to sell coke though. That is the other thing, to get the kick backs, you have to sign their contract, and only serve there stuff.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't drink either company's shit.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't drink either company's shit.  

yup, water for me thanks.

or a margarita, that works too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I like being the son of a bitch who orders coffee at Burger King at 10PM.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nobody goes to a restaurant for their soda options, nobody. For that reason, having a single alternative of Coke or Pepsi products is more than enough drink options.

Carrying more types of drinks is expensive. Not only do you have to store the extra product, but you have to have more equipment to serve it. Not to mention lost productivity due to waitresses asking "Coke or Pepsi?" when someone orders a cola, or the extra order that has to be made to keep inventory up.

In short, it is a large cost for something that won't earn extra revenue.
I've never known if a restaurant serves coke or pepsi until I'm at the table ordering drinks.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Coke and Pepsi are both coke, so what does it matter what a place serves?

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Mountain Dew all the way!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Because then you have to pay Pepsi and Coke to have them have a fountain in your establishment instead of them paying you.  They pay the restaurant owner and part of the deal is you can't have the other brand.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]
A place we eat at a lot has both. Only place I have seen like it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#23]

They put one in at our local Moe's about two months ago. People are still discombobulated by it.

I haven't tried it yet because I usually drink sweet tea when I go there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They put one in at our local Moe's about two months ago. People are still discombobulated by it.

I haven't tried it yet because I usually drink sweet tea when I go there.

I used to fucking dread going to McDonalds for lunch.  30 hour lunch break and 15 minutes of it is spent standing in line at the soda machine waiting for the old couple to figure out why they couldn't get the greyed out product.

Yeah old man, maybe if you lean into it and push the fucker with all your might till your knuckle bursts it will let you have diet root beer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Exclusivity contracts.

You get a lot of freebies if you sign with only one company. AFAIK, there is also a fine if you carry both, which is why only super high-volume places will ever bother carrying both (e.g. convenience stores).

that would mean it is illegal.. hmm
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Because Pepsi is just , Nasty

Coke ehhhh its OK if its a Mr Pibb

Dr Pepper for the win.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
We have a Pepsi machine at the fire station...One day I was on duty while the guy was filling it up, and I asked him to put Coke Zero in it.

Sure as shit.  It now has Pepsi products, AND Coke Zero in it!!

(Obviously, it must be a privately owned machine).
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#28]
your hypothetical restaurant would surely fail with thinking like that.

most people don't mind drinking either. To actually go through the trouble of ordering, receiving and storing two different beverage shipments from two separate companies is a waste of resources, space, time and money. I guarantee customers will not patronize your business simply for your beverage selection, at least enough to see a noticeable difference in your bottom line. You can be assured you will drive people away with your other ill conceived ideas.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 2:51:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I wish they would all serve RC Cola instead.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 2:59:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

THIS!  

Don't be a coke whore people!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:15:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Probably because nobody would ever drink Pepsi. They would all have Coke and Mt. Dew.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:16:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Pepsi thanks you for your vote

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:22:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Because coke will not let you sell their stuff if you sell pepsi and vice versa. I've also heard that getting a deal to sell coke stuff can be a PITA from a couple business owners I've known.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Because coke will not let you sell their stuff if you sell pepsi and vice versa

Unless it's a gas station or grocery store.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because coke will not let you sell their stuff if you sell pepsi and vice versa

Unless it's a gas station or grocery store.

I never said it made a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#37]

Dead Jim Belushi does not approve of this thread.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:44:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
your hypothetical restaurant would surely fail with thinking like that.

most people don't mind drinking either. To actually go through the trouble of ordering, receiving and storing two different beverage shipments from two separate companies is a waste of resources, space, time and money. I guarantee customers will not patronize your business simply for your beverage selection, at least enough to see a noticeable difference in your bottom line. You can be assured you will drive people away with your other ill conceived ideas.

I think that is slowly changing in that more people do not want to drink one or the other.  I have seen an upswing in people asking whether it is a coke or Pepsi product and ording something else (tea, water, etc) if it is not the brand they like.  That includes me.  10 years ago I would not have cared.  But now I drink only Pepsi exclusively and will not drink coke.  I have noticed alot more people doing this than in the past.

May not be enough to have an impact right now but if the trend continues it maybe an issue for restaurants down the road.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#40]
because most non OCD people don't give a shit if its coke or Pepsi
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:29:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Business, how does it work ?

Most people have a preference of Coke over Pepsi or vise versa. So why not give the customer a choice of both instead of making them settle for something they don't want?

Pepsi undercuts Coke's prices HEAVILY.  

For good reason, too.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Contracts, I imagine.

Yep
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pepsi is for Kids

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:38:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

So you need OCD to taste the difference between products. Got it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#45]
You ever accidentally mix Pepsi with Coke?

That's why. And DON'T YOU BE TRYING IT AT HOME!!

That shit's dangerous!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:46:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Pepsi is what people drink when the restaurant doesn't have Coke.

I now drink tap water.  Like what is used in toilets.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
http://hotoffpress.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/the-olympia-cafe.jpg

Dead Jim Belushi does not approve of this thread.

It's John.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why must a restaurant, cafe, diner, or Kawaffle kart have to decide between Pepsi or Coke?

What the fuck, if I owned an eating establishment I would serve both, just for the customers.

Because Pepsi sucks? Why serve something that sucks?
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you need OCD to taste the difference between products. Got it.

No, just to care that much.

I prefer Coke.  I drink more of the shit than I should.  I never buy Pepsi if given the choice, but it's really not a deal breaker in any way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#50]
When Pepsi is the choice, I drink Root Beer.  I ain't drinking no Jeff Gordon pop
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top