User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the system worked that way, there would be no shortage of organs at all - but that would just make too much sense and be too easy, apparently .

Are you suggesting that companies or govt should adopt a policy saying, "We are you going to take your organs unless you respond and initial here, here, and here.  If you do not respond, we will assume your silence is agreement."

This practice is not legal for magazine subscriptions, let alone organ harvesting.

Yeah - I got no problem with that.

If you have some weird use for your organs after you're dead, or your religions prohitbits other people benefitting - then it doesn't seem like a big burden to have to check a box on your driver's license.

Obviously it should NOT be for profit, but I got no problem with non-profit hosptial or donor organizations doing this with government sanction.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
While working at a hospital as a blood mopper in surgery, I had a conversation with a nerosurgeon about how he handled brain dead patients and their familes.

He said that much of the time a great deal of comfort and ability to deal with the death of a loved one comes from dontating the patient's organs.    I also was involved in an organ harvest of a 4yr old.  (ran for equipment, jockeyed stretchers etc)  It was one of the most sad things to see her heart removed, but I knew that some other kid would be able to live because of it.  

Every person that was there on staff received a letter informing us of who got what organs to see the benefit of the harvest.  No names were used of course.  The heart went to a 2yr old.  

Just my personal story on this matter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
When the day comes that organs transplants and follow up treatment are done completely free of charge, that is all health care facilities and health care professionals involved with any part of the transplant proceedure from beginning to end, dontate their time, facilities, materials, medications, skills, etc, that is is the day I become and organ donaor. Until them, I don't want to hear about moral obligations or karma. Until then, pay me.

I take it you do your job for free also--in order to not come across as a complete hypocrite.  

No but I'm not telling people thay have a moral obligation to donate materials that I intend to use for profit. Huge profits at that. I'm not telling people that they can donate their organs and save a life while I refuse to do the proceedure unless I make a pile of cash.

I don't have a problem with your view/attitude, AS LONG AS you will refuse to accept any donated organs when it is YOUR loved one (or YOU) that is dying.  You are no doubt aware that human organs cannot be manufactured, or otherwise procured, except by donations, arranged in advance.  Somehow I can't picture you saying, "Nah, let my daughter die--I find it morally repugnant that someone should donate a pancreas/liver/lungs/heart and not be compensated for it."  Please think about it.  

I don't recall saying that I find organ donation "morally repugnant" or otherwise objectionable if someone chooses to do it. Don't put words in my mouth and don't project your idea of morals onto me.  So, I'll be happy to accept that heart, liver, kindney or whatever else I need that someone else chose to donate.  I choose not to donate for the reason that I stated. If that doesn't sit well with you, too bad.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't recall saying that I find organ donation "morally repugnant" or otherwise objectionable if someone chooses to do it. Don't put words in my mouth and don't project your idea of morals onto me.  So, I'll be happy to accept that heart, liver, kindney or whatever else I need that someone else chose to donate. I choose not to donate for the reason that I stated. If that doesn't sit well with you, too bad.

Well, sir, you have the dubious honor of being one of the few here who has truly left me speechless.  

Hmm, I would have to agree with the Beekeeper on this part.  I would not accept an organ if that is really what it came down to.  The decision may not be my own because due to my financial situation, I probably could not afford the process.  I think that I would rather accept my fate.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were to die tomorrow, they can have all they want, just make sure of what's left gets cremated.I don't smoke, drink, nor do drugs ( oh all right, I drink a little) so all the stuffing is good.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am, but I specified no liberals, homos, French adults, or anti hunters.

Depends what organs your talking about. Had a slight problem w/ my heart hardening from working out too hard.. still a little when I do. So give my heart to a French regular, let him feel some teeth gritting chest pain while he's running from an advancing army.

Edit due to lack of medical knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Saw an episode on Law and Order where some doc killed a person so he could use the organs to advance himself.

It is not to out of the realm of reality to think it could not happen.

I will rot with mine thank you.

Dude,

You do realize they suck them all out and throw them away, don't you?  You are buried pretty much empty.  Lots of preservatives though...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't recall saying that I find organ donation "morally repugnant" or otherwise objectionable if someone chooses to do it. Don't put words in my mouth and don't project your idea of morals onto me.  So, I'll be happy to accept that heart, liver, kindney or whatever else I need that someone else chose to donate. I choose not to donate for the reason that I stated. If that doesn't sit well with you, too bad.

Well, sir, you have the dubious honor of being one of the few here who has truly left me speechless.  

+1
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

u(po/krisiv

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
orgasm donor

Multiple orgasm donor!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I use to donate blood about 4 times a year.I would always enroll somebody in the family for free blood for a year in my name. One day my mother needed an operation and also a couple of pints of blood.I told the hospital that I have her enrolled in the blood plan so she should get free blood.Well they told me that since she had insurance they were going to charge for the blood.So then I started donating for anyone that I new that had no insurance.But to top it all off is that the last time I donated some of the test results came back with results that me fall to me feet.I got tested again for said problem and all 3 test came back okay but the blood bank did not want to accept my test results or retest me. I am now marked in a computer data base as someone whose blood is tainted.Screw the blood bank because they sure had screwed me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Whole blood donors, do this instead:

Apheresis-Link

listen to me.

semper fi

uwp

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So you're saying that you'd rather let some innocent person DIE than let a third party make a buck off saving that person's life?

That's cold.  What do you care? - you'll be dead at the time.

ditto
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
When I am supposed to be "donating" my organs, I cannot specifically will it to whoever it might someday benefit, i.e., a dying child.

So who I am really benefitting? Where is my donation going? To some medical conglomerate who will then charge above-mentioned dying child's family for MY organ?

A doctor can charge his enormous fees for a transplant operation but that is covered under LABOR. I should be able to collect on PARTS.  

Before I would give my organs, I would want fair market value to be paid to my successors.  That's only fair.

BTW, the same is true for blood donations.  I am expected to donate blood that some hospital will turn around and charge $600 for and only pay me with stale cookies and juice? No WAY.

Personally, I would NOT donate any organs either. But it has nothing to do with money, corporation, any of that.

My currently deceased son was the recipient of 3 liver transplants. His first was in 1992 if I recall. His second in about '95, his last in about '98. Did they improve his quality of life? Only VERY RARELY! The first few months after a transplant were generally pretty good. Then his kidneys failed due to one of the immunosuppressants they put him on after his second liver. He spent about 2 years on Dialysis, 3-4x weekly. During that time he only rarely did anything that we would associate with "living". He spent most of his time sleeping and turning into a concentration-camp look-alike. He died on April 15th, 2002, and without exception, the family is of the opinion that it was for the best. I personally signed off on pulling the plug. His brain was basically gone, a side effect of lousy dialysis. And he had the dialysis dementia that goes with these patients whose blood chemistries get screwed up. His case admittedly was NOT the norm. Some people get a liver and basically are never heard from again. But his case was not so unusual either. I was there for two of his transplants, a few other surgeries he needed and numerous hospital stays for rejection. I estimate that over a 3 year period I spent 14 months away from home, living in a transplant house in Omaha, 600 miles away from home. I sacrificed my own career and was glad to do it.

But ethically, knowing the problems that SOME of these people face, I cannot see me donating any organs. Perhaps my corneas. There's more to life than a beating heart, a working liver or lungs. Life is to be lived, not just sitting around existing. I simply could not put someone into the position my son found himself in. And anyhow, I'm a disabled cancer patient. Though I've been cancer-free for 5 years, if there WERE cancer in one of my solid organs, the immunosuppressants would make it run amok. No can do. -Rod-
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If they were not good enough to keep me alive, why would someone else want them?

I was born with them, they are mine, and besides what  $$$$$$ would my family get from them, just the doctors and the health care companies are going to  profit from them

Your attitude will might change when you watch someone close to you die from lack of a donated organ.  

It's not that at all, I would gladly give up a liver or a heart, or whatever if the surgeon and the Hospitol would donate there time and facilities.  
I used to donate blood to the Red Cross, I have a 4 gallon pin, but the last time I went in to give a nice warm pint of AB- they ( The Red Cross) charged my $2.00 for  a glass of juice.
Well needless to say that changed my outlook on it.

Am I being a selfish prick?  maybe I am but untill things change in the Health care industry I'll keep what is mine
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#18]
WHen you get your drivers license over here, if you dont want to donate, you must specify it on the form, otherwise it is assumed that you are an organ donor.

I am an organ donor, and a blood donor.  I am a new blood donor (only 2 times).  The Red Cross here gives you food and drink after you are done, and make sure you are alright to travel.  IIRC if you go before a certain time, some places give you a full buffet breakfast.

For your 1st visit here, you get a pin, 2nd you get a keyring, and every so often you get something.  You eventually get collectable coins made out of either gold or silver and that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Saw an episode on Law and Order where some doc killed a person so he could use the organs to advance himself.

And not signing your organ donor card would PREVENT this from happening to you?

I can see it now.

Evil Doctor : aha we have found a match for our precious organ let's kill this prick and take it, we'll be RICH.

nurse : Wait doctor! He didnt sign his organ donor card!

Evil Doctor : Rats, foiled again!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
WHen you get your drivers license over here, if you dont want to donate, you must specify it on the form, otherwise it is assumed that you are an organ donor.

Outstanding!  I knew some countries actually did it that way, I jsut wasn't sure which ones.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It's not that at all, I would gladly give up a liver or a heart, or whatever if the surgeon and the Hospitol would donate there time and facilities.  
I used to donate blood to the Red Cross, I have a 4 gallon pin, but the last time I went in to give a nice warm pint of AB- they ( The Red Cross) charged my $2.00 for  a glass of juice.
Well needless to say that changed my outlook on it.

Am I being a selfish prick?  maybe I am but untill things change in the Health care industry I'll keep what is mine

Having the Red Cross charging you for the juice is crazy but refusing to continue to donate is not going to punish them.  There are also other blood banks you can donate your blood to as well.

The purpose of donating blood is to save someone’s life; perhaps your own or someone your care about someday.  Keep that in mind before coming up with a reason for not donating.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My currently deceased son was the recipient of 3 liver transplants. . -Rod-

Thanks showing me a side I never thought about.
A parent should never have to bury a child.
Sorry for your loss.
John  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah.  I know a woman who had to have a liver transplant when she was a teenager.  Obviously, the operation was a success, and didn't come a moment too soon.  She was essentially knocking on heaven's door when word came down that she was finally going to get a new liver.

Now, 7 years later, she is a fun, happy, productive person who values life greatly, more than anyone else I know.  She's a school teacher, and has made it her life mission to instill in her students the value of life and treating people with dignity and respect.  She works with high-risk kids, and has had some amazing results.  She is someone who not only contributes to society, but makes it better.  

This is why I'm an organ donor
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And not signing your organ donor card would PREVENT this from happening to you?

I can see it now.

Evil Doctor : aha we have found a match for our precious organ let's kill this prick and take it, we'll be RICH.

nurse : Wait doctor! He didnt sign his organ donor card!

Evil Doctor : Rats, foiled again!

Ths is not just TV, this is reality.  There was an expose` in Playboy, written by an insider, about the organ harvesting industry.  Doctors WILL let you die if they are sure to get your organs.  Additionally, because organs go bad so quickly after death, they will harvest organs from you while you are STILL ALIVE.  People who have seen these procedures say it is common for the supposedly "brain dead" patient to show signs of pain when cut open.  You are correct though, that just marking on your DL that you are not a donor will not ensure that that you are not harvested.  Although it can't hurt and my DL is clearly marked that I am not a donor.  Either way you feel about it, it is essential that you make you wishes clear to your family, since they are the ones who will be making the decision when it comes down to it.  I told my family, in no uncertain terms, that my organs are not to be harvested.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Before I would give my organs, I would want fair market value to be paid to my successors.  That's only fair.

Its called be a human being and having some pity for those less fortunate who, without your donation, might very well die. So some people along the pipeline make some money. Is that worth someone dying? You'll take your parts and pieces into the ground with you where they are of zero good to anyone because you think people should pay your survivors?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm, I would have to agree with the Beekeeper on this part.  I would not accept an organ if that is really what it came down to.  The decision may not be my own because due to my financial situation, I probably could not afford the process.  I think that I would rather accept my fate.

In order to be consistent in your reasoning you would only have to be willing to compensate the relatives of the organ donor, not reject the organ. ref:

Before I would give my organs, I would want fair market value to be paid to my successors. That's only fair.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ths is not just TV, this is reality.  There was an expose` in Playboy, written by an insider, about the organ harvesting industry.  Doctors WILL let you die if they are sure to get your organs.  Additionally, because organs go bad so quickly after death, they will harvest organs from you while you are STILL ALIVE.  People who have seen these procedures say it is common for the supposedly "brain dead" patient to show signs of pain when cut open.  You are correct though, that just marking on your DL that you are not a donor will not ensure that that you are not harvested.  Although it can't hurt and my DL is clearly marked that I am not a donor.  Either way you feel about it, it is essential that you make you wishes clear to your family, since they are the ones who will be making the decision when it comes down to it.  I told my family, in no uncertain terms, that my organs are not to be harvested.

Hospitals in the U.S. have strict procedures and protocols in place for harvesting organs.  I really doubt that it is possible for one unethical doctor to easily bypass the safeguards in place.  If there was collusion among a number of doctors I suppose then it could happen.  I suggest you don't die in a hospital because if that was the case they will take your organs without permission anyway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I can’t imagine simply letting someone else die because I wasn’t going to get paid for trying to help them!!

I guess I’m getting old – values in this country really seem to have changed!!

They are.  But I'm 19, and feel the same way you do.  Thats why I am a donor.  

I think of it this way.  Person A (me) and Person B (someone else)die.   Person A dies first.  And we're identical in terms of who we can give organs to.

Person # 1 is a little girl, almost dead.  Person #2 is wealthy and pays a bunch of money to get an organ.

Person 1 and 2 both need the same organ, but person 2 pays the money and gets it before the little girl.  

Organ from person A goes to person 2 first, then later, organ from person B goes to person 1.

If I have to give my organ to some sniveling deuch bag, so be it.  Since he got mine, that little girl will get the other person's organ.  Had I decided to take the attitude of "some dickhead may get my organ", well, then maybe that little girl would still die.  Person B's organ would have still gone to person 2 (instead of mine), and person 1 would be SOL.  It doesn't change anything.  

2 people need an organ.  Only one will give it.  IF someone else decides to give, then both of those people are saved.

Is it worth the life of the "next person in line" (regardless of whether that person who gets it gets it ethically), just because you're concerned a dickhead may get your organ?  

By making the claim that you don't want someone to have your organ, you may be killing the next person in line.  You just will NEVER know.  Since you will never know, you shouldn't make a decision based on the fact that MAYBE someone you don't like will get it.  Donate the damn organs.  You may not like who gets it, but its putting the people next in line one step closer to being saved.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hospitals in the U.S. have strict procedures and protocols in place for harvesting organs.  I really doubt that it is possible for one unethical doctor to easily bypass the safeguards in place.  If there was collusion among a number of doctors I suppose then it could happen.  I suggest you don't die in a hospital because if that was the case they will take your organs without permission anyway.

According to the article, the procedures and protocols are not strict enough, or enforced well enough, to prevent sketchy shit from happenning fairly frequently.  In any event, they won't be taking my organs if my family has anything to say about it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top