Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
all sarcasm aside, the 9/11 bombing was a financial blow to this country. Just look at the airline industry.
View Quote

No, the airline industry is hurting because it's become a ROYAL pain in the ass to get on board an airplane. This is not new post 9-11 either. The airlines have been turning to shit for a long time. Poor or worse customer service, skewed departure arrival times, rent-a-Nazis with IQs that MIGHT rival a house plant, and the list goes on. We bailed the airlines out a couple of times before 9-11, and again AFTER 9-11 and all the airlines do is whine that they're bleeding money without stopping to think there might be a reason why nobody wants to fly. And on top of that they give an attitude of "So what? What are you going to do about it? WALK?!" No, but when I last visited my family in the UK I went via the QE2. Not only was it more enjoyable, they realize they're there to serve. Money well spent, I'd say, and not one red cent went to help the US or it's airline industry which I have so grown to despise.

Screw the airlines.

9-11 didn't help the airlines, but it sure as hell isn't the reason the airlines are bleeding to death. They're bleeding because no one wants to be treated the way the airlines treat them.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to throw a wrench in the works here, but I will state what I mentioned in the "NYC Warning thread..."

THEY ALREADY WON!

We are living in fear of "The Next Attack".

Mission Accomplished.
View Quote
Be cautious batting around the "TAW!" declaration.
It seems to me, outside of a very small percentage of the population, the definition of 'letting them win' includes [i]doing something to prepare for anything[/i].
If you go out and buy cold weather gear and nonperishable food, you let the terrorists win.
If you have a medical kit and a fire extinguisher, the terrorists will have won.
If you have so much as looked around and realized how unprepared you are for a minor or major event, the terrorists will have won.
If you ever reflected on how ridiculous the statement "That won't happen here" really is, the terrorists will have won.
Do I wonder when the next attack will come?  Yes.  If you don't wonder EVER, you purposely are in denial, or are simply unrealistic.  "Hoping" something happens to help you out of a deadly or dangerous situation, or somebody comes along to help you, is nearly begging for failure.  Am I more prepared than I was on 11Sept2001?  Yes, I sure am.
Yes, the attacks put my butt in gear, so I am continually trying to learn to adapt amd improvise.
Does my change in behavior mean the terrorists won?  Most people would tell you 'yes'.  And that scares me more than the idea of an attack.
View Quote

Read what you wrote.

If the tragic events of 9/11/01 did not happen, would you have done those same things, spending time and energy?

Perhaps I used the wrong term for "Won", but they [b]certainly[/b] made a solid and disabling impact, using only a few readily available plane tickets.

Today, if you wanna fly, it is not even the same way it was in 1999.  Yet, their "Terrorism" hasn't "affected us negatively".

I am not pro-terrorist, I am not waiting/hoping for another attack.   I am simply saying that they accomplished their goal in an extremely devastating way, probably more than they ever imagined.  That is all.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I foresee several ships, with nukes on board, sailing into several large ports.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:Read what you wrote.

If the tragic events of 9/11/01 did not happen, would you have done those same things, spending time and energy?

Perhaps I used the wrong term for "Won", but they [b]certainly[/b] made a solid and disabling impact, using only a few readily available plane tickets.

Today, if you wanna fly, it is not even the same way it was in 1999.  Yet, their "Terrorism" hasn't "affected us negatively".

I am not pro-terrorist, I am not waiting/hoping for another attack.   I am simply saying that they accomplished their goal in an extremely devastating way, probably more than they ever imagined.  That is all.
View Quote
Yeah, read what I wrote.  11Sept2001 did indeed motivate me to prepare.  That means I increased my level of activity and knowledge.
IMO, the 'solid and disabling impact' could have been reduced significantly.  How?  If everybody had it in their minds that:
1) The goal of victims should ALWAYS be one of action, not inaction.  I keep seeing stuff about "We can't let them change how we live.  If we change, they win".  But put that in practical terms: Does their purposeful inaction HELP or HURT their chances of survival?
2) Preparation is worthwhile.  Most people have it in their head that no matter what you do to prepare, something will happen that you never thought of.  Thus, no matter what you do, all your best effort is futile.  Once you believe that such things as a BOB will exponentially increase your odds of staying alive, and a first aid kit and the requisite knowledge will exponentially increase the odds for survival of a patient right in front of you, you WILL prepare.  
The question is not one of whether or not to change, but what to change to?
Are you going to change to a person who refuses to prepare, under the notion that preparation is bad?  Or are you going to change to a person who want to acquire the needed skills and equipment to survive as many situations as possible?
I guess I'm a dumb ole boy.  I still think I'll someday use my CPR to save a life, and use my first aid to prevent somebody from bleeding out on the side of the road.  I changed.  The terrorists won.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:Read what you wrote.

View Quote
Yeah, read what I wrote.  11Sept2001 did indeed motivate me to prepare.  That means I increased my level of activity and knowledge.
IMO, the 'solid and disabling impact' could have been reduced significantly.  How?  If everybody had it in their minds that:
1) The goal of victims should ALWAYS be one of action, not inaction.  I keep seeing stuff about "We can't let them change how we live.  If we change, they win".  But put that in practical terms: Does their purposeful inaction HELP or HURT their chances of survival?
2) Preparation is worthwhile.  Most people have it in their head that no matter what you do to prepare, something will happen that you never thought of.  Thus, no matter what you do, all your best effort is futile.  Once you believe that such things as a BOB will exponentially increase your odds of staying alive, and a first aid kit and the requisite knowledge will exponentially increase the odds for survival of a patient right in front of you, you WILL prepare.  
The question is not one of whether or not to change, but what to change to?
Are you going to change to a person who refuses to prepare, under the notion that preparation is bad?  Or are you going to change to a person who want to acquire the needed skills and equipment to survive as many situations as possible?
I guess I'm a dumb ole boy.  I still think I'll someday use my CPR to save a life, and use my first aid to prevent somebody from bleeding out on the side of the road.  I changed.  The terrorists won.
View Quote

Oh.  My Bad.

I thought you were prepared and aware prior to that date, simply due to possible domestic disturbances and such.

However, I am glad you have become aware, and do not think you have "surrendered" to the fear.  

My statement is coming from listening to those who do not hang out here, and basically are "Living In Fear".  After a few days of hearing it from "general population", where they sense another attack, and feel nothing should be done, other than learning how to "properly cower".

Please let me know if that clarifies it better, I had a momentary lapse of "audience I am conversing with"...
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
My statement is coming from listening to those who do not hang out here, and basically are "Living In Fear". After a few days of hearing it from "general population", where they sense another attack, and feel nothing should be done, other than learning how to "properly cower".
View Quote
We're on the same page.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I predict a "Teeth of the Tiger" scenario. Suicide bombers/attackers in multiple malls across America at the same time. Small teams in 40 or 50 malls across the country. Not just big cities, but smaller ones too, for effect. To show that no-one is safe.
This Christmas would be perfect timing but I dont know if they can pull it off so soon (or at all, on that scale).
It would scare people into staying home and collapse the economy in short order.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
They shot their wad on 9/11
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's really amazing is that there haven't been any suicide bombings at American malls.

I am amazed that 'West Bank fever' has not come to our shores.

Eric The(Relieved,ButStillAmazed)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I thinks its becouse its alot harder to recruit somene in the us then it is over there. Its not like a terroist can say yeah you wanna go blow up this mall and kill some "jews" that have been xxxx or whatever they tell the guy.  That and its not like we have explosives lying around in easy to get supply unlike the 3rd worldish black market overrun area of parts of the middle east. Sure they could improve some but its not that easy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top