Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
No ambition.  No job. Sex from the Internet.  No need for a car.

Sigline shit right there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Lack of money,inability to get financing in the current environment, higher new car prices inflation adjusted, and Craigslist providing a far better method to find the used car you want.  
New cars are for the declining numbers of relatively wealthy (more and more of whom are urban dwellers who don't even need or want a car), or for those who own businesses and can use the tax advantages to offset the significant depreciation penalty.
The majority of Americans who need a vehicle are better served by slightly used cars.
Look for more Japanese style penalties (like "shaken") for operating used cars in the future. Auto makers and dealers know this is a problem, and will likely lobby government to counter the trend of financial incentive to buy used, just as they did in cash for clunkers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What is included in these $1000 tags? I can't even fathom that it could ever cost that much.

I pay $9 for emissions testing and $89 for State registration and county wheel tax per year

Taxes
I lose a couple grand every year on my birthday, in GA... on top of state income tax, 7% sales tax, and damn high property taxes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a car if you want, don't buy a car if you don't want to.  I have no rel problem with this.

However, not learning to drive and then getting a driver's liscense indicates to em that something else is going on.  I understand the NYC/Chicago view based on mass transit ( I went through hell trying to get my dad to let me get a DL at 16 (he grew up in NYC/me D/FW area in TX)).  I think it will be hilariouss  to watch these folks get older and change locations for jobs and family.  Like I said, I understand not owning a car; however, I do not understand not taking the steps to enable yourself to own or legally operate a car.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I cant believe what some people in other states pay for insurance and registration for there vehicles.  I pay about 400 bucks every 6 months for full coverage on my pickup and comprehensive insurance on my wrangler.  I just renewed my tags on my pickup and it only cost 40 bucks for the year.  1000 dollars to register a vehicle is crazy to me.  Gotta love Idaho I guess
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah some of you guys have it spot on......24 year olds dont buy new cars because they are lazy.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No money?

This. A very simple answer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
So who's buying them their iphones and ipads an paying for college? Their parents. That's who.

Except the little fuckers don't want fords and chevy's they want BMW's and Merc's.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
its fucking expensive.

All this Graduated Driving licenses, fees, 'training' etc costs money.  with the economy in the shitter these days, mom and pop aren't going to spring for it, let alone the insurance costs.  And as others have pointed out, Cash for corruption I mean clunkers has wrecked the used car market for a while. . . .

Just to give you folks an idea, I'm 27, have a good job, pay my own insurance, and I can't afford anything other than a 10 year old SUV. . . .
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even I remember those prices...
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]

You priced them out of the market.

It's cool though.  You can all still sit around and talk about how your generation was superior because you didn't have xboxes and cell phones and drove around all summer in the $300 beater you bought with money from your summer job and filled up with $1.50 a gallon gas.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's cool though.  You can all still sit around and talk about how your generation was superior because you didn't have xboxes and cell phones and drove around all summer in the $300 beater you bought with money from your summer job and filled up with $1.50 a gallon gas.

I remember gas being a dollar for pretty much the duration of the '90s
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#12]
For me, when I was 15, and got my first car it was a hell of a lot cheaper all the way around. But let's compare that to when I was 18, the same age as my son.

Me––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-Son
Gas-.85 cents                              $3.50
new car- $13,500                         $34,000
Mustang GT loaded––-Premium GT

Insurance

$900 year for full coverage––––––––––––––––––––    God only knows

So, I could ride around town cruising and picking up chicks in a brand new car all night long for very little cash.

Kids now? I guess WOW is the best bet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No money?

Bingo. Economic reality is far, far different for youth today. Fuel, insurance, and astronomical prices conspire to keep more and more people walking, biking, and subject to the enormous joys of public transit.

But, hey, that was the intent of the legislators that drafted the legislation that helped bring about the frightening inefficiencies and high costs in automobiles and their related products. Bow to your congressional overlords.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Even in 1992, when I was 25, CAM 2 gas was $2.30 or so, super from Amoco was $1.10 maybe.
I used to run aviation gas, the minty green stuff, and it was $ 1.85. Shit has really gone up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]
The article also represented NYC and its suburbs individuals. I hardly think that's a true representation of all of americas youth.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
i'm doing my part.  23 and driving a new truck I paid cash for.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Really ?

In 1980 at the age of 22 I bought a brand spanking new Z-28 Camaro off the showroom floor for $10259.

I financed $8000.

On my own.

Do the math and quit complaining, it can be done if you want to work for it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Owned a car since the age of 17.

Still don't get it with most people who do not drive. Just not my thing to NOT drive...I love driving!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn I feel ancient!

Got my licence when I barely turned 15 and bought my first car when I was 16, 2nd car that was FAR faster when I was 17.

It ain't that hard.... guess you need ambition.

ETA: Now I have a 19 year old niece that just texts everyone till she finds a ride, doesn't even show any concern about getting a driver's licence. Has never even tried to learn to drive. And no, I don't give her rides because I don't answer texts.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is included in these $1000 tags? I can't even fathom that it could ever cost that much.

I pay $9 for emissions testing and $89 for State registration and county wheel tax per year

$675 was tax
$128 for 2 year registration
The rest I assume was just for the title or whatever other bullshit fees they charge for

Oh, then I had to pay another $13 for emissions testing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really ?

In 1980 at the age of 22 I bought a brand spanking new Z-28 Camaro off the showroom floor for $10259.

I financed $8000.

On my own.

Really?

What year is it now?

What does a brand new Camaro cost today?

What does a used Camaro cost today?

What does gas cost today?

What does insurance cost today?

What does it cost to get a license today?

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Buying new cars is stupid when you're poor. Buying a car at all if you can help it is stupid when you're poor. They're a luxury.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$675 was tax
The rest I assume was just for the title or whatever other bullshit fees they charge for

Wait. what tax?

You paid the tax when you bought the car....
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#24]
too expensive, bad investment, lack of jobs, public transportation and a lot more reasons

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#25]
The article only talks about new vehicles as well, I wonder what the used car purchases are. Personally id rather buy a car thats 1-3 years old with less than 35,000 miles on it, than a brand new car..im thinking alot of younger people think this way as hell, but then again thats just me.

The article also notes the shift of people to cities and urban areas...Seems like cheap cars like the Chevy Beat and Scion iQ may do well here....but then again, the 500 and Smart sales are both horrible..
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Buying new cars is stupid when you're poor. Buying a car at all if you can help it is stupid when you're poor. They're a luxury.

Gonna disagree with you some there Snow. I used the first car I bought at 16 to get a better paying job and was able to pay cash the next year for a much better ride. Plus I had a lot of fun along the way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$675 was tax

Wait. what tax?

Private sale
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$675 was tax

Wait. what tax?

Private sale

Well yeah, you pay the taxes on the value whenever it changes hands, but that's only once. So why would it be $1000 per year?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The market is not driven to accomodate 19 year old children who live with their Mom and can't drive.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$675 was tax

Wait. what tax?

Private sale

Well yeah, you pay the taxes on the value whenever it changes hands, but that's only once. So why would it be $1000 per year?

I never said per year, just cost me $1000 to get it on the road.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$675 was tax

Wait. what tax?

Private sale

I never said per year, just cost me $1000 to get it on the road.

Oh, I misread.

But I thought someone in this thread said they were paying that much per year.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gonna disagree with you some there Snow. I used the first car I bought at 16 to get a better paying job and was able to pay cash the next year for a much better ride. Plus I had a lot of fun along the way.

I don't see it as disagreeing. In your situation it made sense. In a lot of situations, it doesn't. I regret getting bullied into cars when I was doing perfectly well with cabs and public transportation. In my situation it didn't make sense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FWIW I never bought my own car or anything until I was in college, and then it was for a couple of fun cars. My dad had a little money so my sister and I ended up with new cars every two years. Even I asked him about depreciation, and he said he'd just rather have us in new cars all the time so he didn't really have to worry about them.

But to Snow's point, that was the mindset of a lot of teen girls when I was coming up. Lot's of them didn't have cars, or even licenses. They would show up in town to cruise with a carload of friends. Good thing there weren't seatbelt laws back then, because there might be six or seven in a Honda.

Thing is, they would just have their boyfriends carry them around, They had no need for a car at that point. And that was ok too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see it as disagreeing. In your situation it made sense. In a lot of situations, it doesn't. I regret getting bullied into cars when I was doing perfectly well with cabs and public transportation. In my situation it didn't make sense.

Well true, especially if you are still in NOLA. I'm in an area where public transportation is almost non-existent.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought my first pickup at age 15 for 4,000 dollars. The next one was at age 17 for 20,000 dollars, while in high school working part time, and I still have that pickup. Around here it is almost unheard of for anyone able to have a drivers license not to have one, but then again we don't have public transit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well true, especially if you are still in NOLA. I'm in an area where public transportation is almost non-existent.  

I did better in Austin and Gainesville, FL. Great bike and bus towns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Really ?

I financed $8000.

On my own.

Really?

What year is it now?

It's 2012, 32 years later.

New Camaro starts at $26K. Depending on the year,used prices vary.

Gas cost is 3 times more than it was in 1980.

I pay less for insurance now than I did in 1980.

Licence is around $100 a year.

To add to that, minimum wage was ~$3.00 an hour ( I was making 11 ).

Really ?

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really ?

I financed $8000.

On my own.

Really?

What year is it now?

It's 2012, 32 years later.

New Camaro starts at $26K. Depending on the year,used prices vary.

Gas cost is 3 times more than it was in 1980.

I pay less for insurance now than I did in 1980.

Licence is around $100 a year.

To add to that, minimum wage was ~$3.00 an hour ( I was making 11 ).

Really ?

You think someone under 25 is paying less in insurance than you were in 1980?

The license itself might be around $100 a year, then you've got driver's ed which goes up every year, drug classes, and God knows what else they've tacked on this decade.  Add the non monetary restrictions on, like not being able to have anyone in your car until you're 475 and it's a wonder anyone bothers at all.

If they have a job, they might be making 11 an hour.  If.  Given the number of unemployed old people, the teenage job market isn't exactly what it used to be.

Then you've got the sales taxes and property taxes, emissions testing, the ridiculous market for used cars today, and inflation in general.

Hell, I'm 32 and if the liquor store and bank were a closer walk, I wouldn't even bother with a car.  Stop being a stereotypical old guy and try to understand that things have changed in the last 32 years.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

No money?

This. A very simple answer.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Plus, with gas and insurance prices for young people being so fucking crazy, you can't make enough to make it worth it. My daughter has figured this out.

She would have to work a lot of hours at most part time jobs to be able to fuel it and insure it, more hours than she has available to her. Yes, I could pay all that for her, but then it's just teaching her that daddy takes care of things...which isn't how I learned about the world and it won't be for her either.

She's resigned to drive when she's out of school and working full time, not before. Can't say I blame her.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#40]
A friends son didn't want to get his drivers license in high school, went through most of college the same way.
My friend offered to buy him a car and pay for his insurance when he was old enough to drive, his son said no.

The kid was an emo-environmental libtard with a girlfriend who was the same way.  

Long story short, he ditched the emo look and girlfriend bought a Ford F-150 4x4, hooked up with a little tattooed hottie, dropped the environmental engineer studies and worked for a degree in graphic arts.
He's got a job as a graphic artist, works part time as a tattoo artist and married the little tattooed hottie.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#41]
"Hell, I'm 32 and if the liquor store and bank were a closer walk, I wouldn't even bother with a car. Stop being a stereotypical old guy and try to understand that things have changed in the last 32 years."

What is a stereotypical old guy ?
Somebody who had a free ride all his life and brags about shit handed to him for just the asking ?

Tell me what has really changed over the last 32 years ?
If you account for inflation, cars are cheaper. So is insurance, maybe not gas. Cars are safer and better built and they certainly last longer, more efficient too.
Wages are not the same as they were 32 years ago are they ? ( I wish I could buy a house now for what they cost 32 years ago also !)

But if you ad the inflation,it's all relative.

What HAS changed is the lack of will and understaning of the sacrifice it takes to responsibly own and maintain a vehicle.

Stereotypical old guy my ass !

Irresponsible entitlement mentality has been the downfall of more than just a generation, it's been going on for decades but the minset has become a mainstream train of thought for those who can ...

nevermind. Goodnight.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#42]
My first car was given to me by my parents when I was 16, a 1964 Plymouth Fury station wagon.  

I bought my first car, an SS396 1968 El Camino when I was almost 18 in 1978.
I used my paper route money, birthday / Christmas money and the money from the job I had at the time to buy it.
Cost me $1800 (my dad would occasionally remind me ).

My insurance was something like $60 a month (on my parents insurance), gas was about 68 cents a gallon (it got about 6 miles to the gallon).
I spent most of my money for the next 8 months doing body work and getting it painted.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#43]
The fact that they aren't even bothering to get a DL is what I find strange.  I didn't own a car in high school either, but I at least got my drivers license.

I didn't get my first car until my 2nd year of college.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

"Hell, I'm 32 and if the liquor store and bank were a closer walk, I wouldn't even bother with a car. Stop being a stereotypical old guy and try to understand that things have changed in the last 32 years."

What is a stereotypical old guy ?

Somebody who had a free ride all his life and brags about shit handed to him for just the asking ?

Tell me what has really changed over the last 32 years ?

If you account for inflation, cars are cheaper. So is insurance, maybe not gas. Cars are safer and better built and they certainly last longer, more efficient too.

Wages are not the same as they were 32 years ago are they ? ( I wish I could buy a house now for what they cost 32 years ago also !)

But if you ad the inflation,it's all relative.

What HAS changed is the lack of will and understaning of the sacrifice it takes to responsibly own and maintain a vehicle.
Stereotypical old guy my ass !

Irresponsible entitlement mentality has been the downfall of more than just a generation, it's been going on for decades but the minset has become a mainstream train of thought for those who can ...
nevermind. Goodnight.

For a teenager now buying their own car and putting gas & insurance in it, it's waaaaay the fuck more expensive than when I was young, and used cars are more expensive than ever in my life.

When I was a teenager in 1986 learning to drive, I made $4 an hour at a part time job and gas was under $1. Insurance was about $65 a month. My first car was a 2-year old Toyota Celica that cost $4,000. It wasn't hard to pay for all of that, including the loan from my mom to buy the car.

My daughter is looking for jobs, most pay minimum wage at $7.25 an hour and unlike when I was young they are hard to get. Gas is nearly $4 an hour, and the cheapest insurance for her we can find is $100 every month, and that's only if it's in MY car and not her own. Most 2 year old cars are in the $10-12,000 range. Hell, most 5 year old cars are still double what I paid so long ago. I guess she could buy a $1200 hunk of shit, and save some dough...then she's got repairs and me worrying about her in a jalope.

Do the math on the number of hours a 16 year old girl needs to work to pay for all that. Is it worth it? She'll be working entirely, and utterly, just to pay the car. She's a smart kid, she knows that's a shitty deal. She's going to wait until wages and her time is more condusive to car ownership, and I'm not gonna try to talk someone out of a good decision. She's not lazy, she's just clever enough to understand being slave to a payment isn't a freedom.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The fact that they aren't even bothering to get a DL is what I find strange.  I didn't own a car in high school either, but I at least got my drivers license.

I can answer that too. The insurance costs are still through the fucking roof. Do you know as a parent I can't have a licensed teenager living in my home without paying premiums on her? Unless you lie and let your kid drive uninsured, you're paying an extra $1200-2500 a year just so they can have a DL.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can answer that too. The insurance costs are still through the fucking roof. Do you know as a parent I can't have a licensed teenager living in my home without paying premiums on her? Unless you lie and let your kid drive uninsured, you're paying an extra $1200-2500 a year just so they can have a DL.

Is that including the "good student discount"?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that including the "good student discount"?  

It probably varies by state, kid, parent's insurance history and type of car but that's what it shook out for us. Disgusting is what it is.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Look at what the youth have inherited from their parents and grandparents.

They have not come of age in the America of yesterday, they are the children of declining America.

Getting more and more like the other socialist states.

I wonder how much of the 19 - 25 year old European population has a car.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#49]
been said.

Payments suck

Gas sucks

Insurance sucks

Pay sucks.

i was 19 before i got a car 2001, got it when i got out of HS and no longer had a bus taking me to where i needed to be.

it was a POS beater elcamino with a 350 in it that got 12 or so MPG and it was killing me at a buck 25 or what ever it was then, i cant imagine driving it now.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Look at what the youth have inherited from their parents and grandparents.
They have not come of age in the America of yesterday, they are the children of declining America.

Getting more and more like the other socialist states.
I wonder how much of the 19 - 25 year old European population has a car.

So very true.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top