Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched the video and didn't see anything worth complaining about. He's a big kid playing aggressive basketball. The only "flagrant" foul was #5.

1 and 2 were fouls, but not flagrant.  3 was borderline––he led with an elbow to the player's face, though it could be argued (weakly) that he was attempting a block.  4 and 5 were most certainly flagrant fouls.  are you seriously going to claim that the deliberate shove in the back from behind the play in #4 was not flagrant?  that would have been at least a technical in any organized league.

1 was a foul, a hard block at that but not flagrant. 2 was a basic reach foul - to even consider that 'blatantly flagrant' almost made me stop watching the video right there. 3 was a really lame block attempt but I actually buy that he's so slow to react and an uncoordinated oaf. Like you said, could go either way. 4 was flagrant. 5 another shitty block attempt. He stuck his arm out and the other guy folder like a wet paper bag. Just because the collision looked ridiculous doesn't mean what he did was over the top. Fouls in all cases, flagrant in a couple.
Video seems more like the poster has a sandy mangina, although 34 is indeed trash. I can't imagine he adds much to the team other than helping put the opposition in double bonus very quickly.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I watched the video and didn't see anything worth complaining about. He's a big kid playing aggressive basketball. The only "flagrant" foul was #5.

Your screen name couldn't be more appropriate.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#3]
1 and 2 were not flagrant.

3 looked worse than it really was. He barely tapped him

4 was technically a moving screen on the red team

5 was pretty careless.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
So they let fat kids play basketball these days?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Shit.  You should see the cheerleaders.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 and 2 were fouls, but not flagrant.  3 was borderline––he led with an elbow to the player's face, though it could be argued (weakly) that he was attempting a block.  4 and 5 were most certainly flagrant fouls.  are you seriously going to claim that the deliberate shove in the back from behind the play in #4 was not flagrant?  that would have been at least a technical in any organized league.

I'm no basketball ref and haven't played the sport in several years, but the lil guy set an illegal screen didn't he? Moving screen? The shove in the back was a safer foul than that. Regardless, it's not a big enough penalty to upload a video of it on the internet so the world can whine about what a fat thug the guy is.

i agree that there seemed to be a whiny tone about the video––the endless repetitions annoyed me.  they should have stuck with 3-5.  as for the moving screen, IIRC it doesn't apply in that situation because his back is turned––he's not responsible for what goes on behind him.  however, even if he was faced up to the guy, and incurred a foul, the deliberate shove would have been at least a technical.  

to claim that he straight-arm shoved the guy for safety purposes is as absurd as suh from detroit claiming that he only stomped the green bay player in an attempt to regain his balance.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

1 was a foul, a hard block at that but not flagrant. 2 was a basic reach foul - to even consider that 'blatantly flagrant' almost made me stop watching the video right there.

yeah––i almost stopped watching also, except that we were promised real action later in the vid.      like i wrote above, it did seem to be whiny at first.  

then again, i coached football, so these collisions were...cute.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

1 and 2 were not flagrant. Agree. Just really sloppy and oafish play by the white team.

3 looked worse than it really was. He barely tapped him See above.

4 was technically a moving screen on the red team Not really. The red player wasn't facing the white player. Regardless, you can't shove another player to the floor.

5 was pretty careless. Again, it's the white player demonstrating a complete lack of basketball skills. It's kind of how I used to play.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
To be fair, in #2 the kid's heel looked like it was already out before he got thrown out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
High school basketball can be brutal. Our son as a junior went up for a layup and an opposing player deliberately undercut his legs. He came down off balance on one foot and wiped out his knee.

It cost us $15000, the school did not have insurance on the athletes, and we had no insurance either.

i would not let my kid play sports with out insurance...

Lesson learned, and not cheaply.

is your kid ok though? did he recover fully?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shitty coach, shitty player, shitty person.

Add "shitty referees" to the list. The referees were not in control of the conduct of the game.  

+1 the first two fouls I believe were called correctly.  The thing is when players like 34 are allowed to play like he was kids will eventually get hurt.  The player he body slammed to the ground was very lucky to not have been hurt.  My daughter is big (6'3 190, no fat) and she came home with deep bruised bite marks from playing, along with having her hair pulled, tackled, one girl literally hit her in the nose as the ball was being passed to her and the ref did nothing.  So I've seen worse.  But I also watched her literally lay on a girl and allow the girl to cart her butt up and down the court at the state championship, I guess she figured since the ref didn't care, it was easier than trying to keep up with the chick.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I've played basketball with guys like that, such a shame when a rifled pass gets away from you and finds their face.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I was gonna say, why are baseball players playing basketball?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#14]
You get fouls.  Use them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

High school basketball can be brutal. Our son as a junior went up for a layup and an opposing player deliberately undercut his legs. He came down off balance on one foot and wiped out his knee.

It cost us $15000, the school did not have insurance on the athletes, and we had no insurance either.

Yes, a great Doc from Cody put it back together and he's pretty much 100%. He did have to watch his 1st state championship from the bench on crutches though.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Big Hoss needs his teeth knocked in.

I promise that one good ass whoopin, and he'll think twice about doing that.

Also the coach needs to be fired.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#17]
#5 is obvious, #3 is borderline, but the others are not flagrant fouls.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#18]
One poster commented:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000502745195

Send fat boy a message.

Now the page is down.  LOL.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
No such animal as a 'flagrant' foul in high school basketball.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No such animal as a 'flagrant' foul in high school basketball.

There's no such thing as a "moving screen" foul, either. There's "illegal screen".

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Definitely poor coaching/refingl. As a parent I wouldn't condone it if he was my kid and would have probably pulled him myself. The smart ass smirks after.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was gonna say, why are baseball players playing basketball?

Shit just got real.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 and 2...just hard fouls, albeit the kid is goofy and shouldn't be out there.
3 might have gotten him something special for the swinging attempt at a block.
4 was what it was...either you push the kid and he goes down and you take the call, or you plow into him, you both go down, and you still get the call. I've seen someone psuh trying to grab a loose ball in every single game i've ever played/coached/reffed.
5 would be something with two shots and the ball...tech/flag/intentional would be called, depending on the extra penalties that accompany each. I would probably have gone flagrant if this was #34's first hard foul of the game, but intentional with a T or warning to the bench was probably warranted in this case.

The guy was obviosly out there to collect his five and grab rebounds. He probably should have been sent across the gym to the wrestlers' mats.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#24]
just looks like an uncoordinated fat fuck talentless asshole doing the only thing he can and trying to knock the ball away from the other team instead of trying to do anything that would actually burn calories

still needs his ass whipped

disclaimer:  i know absolutely nothing about basketball nor do i care to learn
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Those kids look really fat. When I was in high school in the early 90s everyone was thin. We had a couple of fatbodies only.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#26]
He's uncoordinated, that's about it. Nobody would be complaining about such behavior if one of those twigs had been doing this to #34 instead. "He's big, he can take it" But because it's the other way around, we have to call the wambulance.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He's uncoordinated, that's about it. Nobody would be complaining about such behavior if one of those twigs had been doing this to #34 instead. "He's big, he can take it" But because it's the other way around, we have to call the wambulance.

There is a difference between playing rough, and playing careless.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, a great Doc from Cody put it back together and he's pretty much 100%. He did have to watch his 1st state championship from the bench on crutches though.

That is real good to hear. My daughter is only two but insurance or not i would go broke trying to heal her wounds. Glad it all worked out minus the bill.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
just looks like an uncoordinated fat fuck talentless asshole doing the only thing he can and trying to knock the ball away from the other team instead of trying to do anything that would actually burn calories

still needs his ass whipped

disclaimer:  i know absolutely nothing about basketball nor do i care to learn

I thought it looked like they were short players for a full team at the beginning of the season, and he's the guy they talked into playing. Doesn't really know the game, plays defense by getting in the way.

It would be interesting to see the entire game to see if he looked that bad all of the time. If he does, why didn't he foul out early?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I thought it looked like they were short players for a full team at the beginning of the season, and he's the guy they talked into playing. Doesn't really know the game, plays defense by getting in the way.

It would be interesting to see the entire game to see if he looked that bad all of the time. If he does, why didn't he foul out early?

Further to that point, the YouTube video in question was put together for the express purpose of highlighting six particular incidents involving the white team possibly fouling players on the red team. Maybe the red team was playing just as dirty/sloppy/shitty. <shrug> Regardless, I think that the conduct of play demonstrated on the video betray a very low level of control by the players (on both teams), the coaches and the referees.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd find fat #34's daddy after the game and stomp his ass into the ground if that was my kid but then again my 15-year old son is now 6'3" and 240 and working towards his black belt.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Not too far from where I live, having driven there for sports events I would venture to guess that they are very similar where essentially everyone in the school has to play sports.

I'd guess the kid has 0 athletic ability and it was'nt intentional per se.

Hell our football team took state champs in their division with a team that had probably half of them playing both offensive and defensive positions.

T
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'd find fat #34's daddy after the game and stomp his ass into the ground if that was my kid but then again my 15-year old son is now 6'3" and 240 and working towards his black belt.

ETA: Excuse me good sir. I read it as "fat #34 daddy" My mistake.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Since when are middle schoolers allowed to wear facial hair??

That was a big no-no when I was in school.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

no rule against it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Legit fouls or not, if that had happened to someone I knew in high school, my friends and I would have gone looking for that goon.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HEY! My wife was a fat cheerleader!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HEY! My wife was a fat cheerleader!  

Pics???

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
nice

Is #34 Brutus's son?

I noticed a "WRASTLIN CHAMPS!" poster hung up.
I'm betting that 34 is from the wrastlin team.
And a douche bag.  Lets go get some torches and burn his house down.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#41]
was the white ref joking and laughing while talking to 34 after that closeline?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Shitty coach, shitty player, shitty person.

Shitty refs?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is one of those times in your life where you're able to say something knowing full well of the consequences ahead of time and you say fuck the consequences anyway.

You are one goddamned fucking moron.

(I'm an assistant basketball coach for a local school)

eta:  Even if they're not "flagrant", they're still intentional fouls, which are technical fouls.  He is CLEARLY not even trying to go for the ball, which is an intentional/technical foul.

NCAA (college) and NFHS (U.S. high school) rules define a flagrant foul as a personal or technical foul that is extreme or severe.

A flagrant personal foul (or intentional foul) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball.
   A flagrant technical foul involves unsportsmanlike conduct that is extreme in nature, or excessive or severe contact during a dead ball. Fighting is also considered a flagrant technical foul.

He violated both conditions above, as well as the conditions for an intentional/technical foul.  The refs are complete shit and should be stripped of their certifications.  The kid should be suspended from all play and the coach should be severely reprimanded for allowing it to happen.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hopefully the folks at 4Chan get ahold of this and take action on #34.

Uh oh.  Shit just got real.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Our kids have to be fairly clean shaven as part of the team rules and their hair can't be too shaggy (coaches discretion).
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#47]
It amazes me the amount of knowledge, rather, lack of knowledge, some people have on a subject but want to enter their $.02.

I would have gotten a technical/ejection for yelling at the refs if I was the opposing team's coach.  Hell, I almost got T'd up a few weeks ago because as one of our kids was picking up a loose ball, one of the opposing kids comes barreling in and purposely takes one of my kids out at the knees without any intention of going after the ball whatsoever.....thankfully, he didn't get hurt but I was 10 feet on the fucking court yelling at the refs at how nothing was called except a fucking jump ball.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#48]
#34 is the white team's hatchet man.  He's there to intimidate the guards and keep 'em out of the paint.  The red team needs a center or power forward to take care of that guy.  Senior year homecoming game, I came in off the bench as the center cuz there was some big goof pushing everyone around on the block.  I went 6'4" and 200 at the time so I went in there and just played hard in the post, makin' my power moves to the basket and had that sucker fouled out pretty quick.    Went to the line each time, hit all my free throws and went back to the post for some more.  Later in the game I backdoored their center and took an alley oop from the point guard right over the paint for a lay-up.  That was a sweet pass!   Man!  Those were the days!   I love me some basketball!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It amazes me the amount of knowledge, rather, lack of knowledge, some people have on a subject but want to enter their $.02.

I would have gotten a technical/ejection for yelling at the refs if I was the opposing team's coach.  Hell, I almost got T'd up a few weeks ago because as one of our kids was picking up a loose ball, one of the opposing kids comes barreling in and purposely takes one of my kids out at the knees without any intention of going after the ball whatsoever.....thankfully, he didn't get hurt but I was 10 feet on the fucking court yelling at the refs at how nothing was called except a fucking jump ball.

Usually GD brings out well-informed and thoughtful posts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Number 34 reminds me of the fat Iraqi gangster kid
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top