User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sounds horrible lol
With all the bank killing off conservative folks accounts you'd think bitcoin type stuff would not really go away but climb. I mean who wouldn't want an untraceable currency? (Or whatever)
View Quote

A government desperate for funding that is trying to collect confiscatory taxes from a populace that can't afford to pay?

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
To me crypto currencies are another form of fiat money. It's only worth what people believe it to be. It's not backed by anything. It fluctuates greatly at times.
I'd rather purchase something tangible, but that's just me.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To me crypto currencies are another form of fiat money. It's only worth what people believe it to be. It's not backed by anything. It fluctuates greatly at times.
I'd rather purchase something tangible, but that's just me.

This.

You should think of it as lottery tickets for people who are good at math. Everybody likes to dream about getting rich.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like the idea, but I have no idea where to start, what to buy, etc.

From what I can tell the only one worth a damn is bitcoin, but I can't afford that.
View Quote
You can buy fractional Bitcoin - you don't have to buy a whole one.  They are called Satoshis
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Concern that its value will evaporate even faster than fiat money at some point.

It still has to be liquidated to be spent now, requiring an extra transaction step.
View Quote
Not true, you can spend them in many places, heck Elon will even take Bitcoin for his cars now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Does it pay dividends?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I always assumed it could be hacked, seized or shut down by some government, have the value drop back to nothing, or be hard to convert to other currency or items where I live, .etc, but maybe that's just a lack of knowledge again on my end though.
View Quote

That's my problem with it. There is so much infrastructure around it any which part could be broken/stopped/intercepted by the government for it to live up to its original concept of being untouchable by banks and governments.

If it crashes in the near future those wide eyed innocent small 'investors' will cry so hard at losing the fortune they never actually had that government will take that as its sign to go in and regulate the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm hoping for a calm discussion so those who aren't in crypto can share why without having to be on defense.
View Quote
Why should anyone justify why they are 'not' into something?

I don't believe in witches - gonna interrogate me on that?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:44:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I am not into crypto. I thought Bitcoin was an interesting idea when I first heard about it but in the aftermath of the Silk Road implosion it was revealed that government forensic accountants could track it which negated its selling point of being untraceable. As it grew in popularity it seemed to be more about speculation than a true alternative currency. I love to speculate on random things but my #1 rule is to only buy stuff that if I turn out to be wrong I can just use myself and not get stuck with.

Plus I’d be the idiot that’d forget my password or be digging in the dump trying to find my old laptop because it held the key.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Severe lack of intelligence and knowledge on my part
View Quote

interestingly the more I learn the more I want to stay away
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:34:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Apathy.

Apparently it goes along with being “old and out of touch.”

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Not saying it's right, but I don't see a future where the US doesn't tax or attempt to tax the exhange of crypto between two parties. As it is now a business has to do something with the money which leaves a trail for various taxes. If they accepted crypto they could report it, or not report and then it opens up a whole can of worms. Report it when you receive it and value it then or keep it for X amount of time and then report it when it has a lower value. This list is endless. Don't think someone or group of someones that work for the federal goverment are already looking into it.

Unrelated but been reading some of the giant crypto miners in China that nearly have a power plant devoted to them accumulate their bitcoin and sell. The days they sell are the causes for the minor dips.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does it pay dividends?
View Quote

You can earn about 6% interest on btc at either Blockfi or Celsius.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This thread should be entertaining. I love hearing old and out of touch guys talk shit about what they don't understand.
View Quote

Oh bullsheet man. The entire premise of blockchain is tip-toeing around trust. You're trading speed and efficiency so everyone can be on the "same page". It's not revolutionary tech that increases productivity.

Imagine I needed to tell Joe Blow something. In a blockchain ecosystem I have to pay Lucy, Becky, and Pam to document to what I need to tell Joe. I tell Joe and then Lucy, Becky, and Pam follows up to verify. It's a spendy and slow process compared to simply going straight to Joe without the intermediary. But at least Joe can't misconstrue what I said? How problematic is the trust issue that we would need to implement a less efficient process?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Moar crypto talk!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And when you check your account and 1BTC is $65k. You're still going to pay them 1BTC?

We get it, the value fluctuates. Sometimes your favor. Other times it's not.
View Quote

I think of bitcoin more like a stock investment. Sometimes it'll go up, sometimes down. I didn't invest everything into crypto, just the amount I'd be ok with completely losing if it tanks. Same with stocks and other investments.
Think of buying the truck with Apple stock rather than cash as not everyone has that kind of cash to buy a truck. Today you have enough Apple stock to buy the truck, tomorrow Apple goes down a buck a share and now you're short again. This isn't yet widely acceptable but it is becoming more so. APmex, the gold, silver and precious metals dealer now accepts bitcoin as payment. Think about that, you can buy gold using bitcoin.
Crypto could seriously be the future of commerce. There are a lot of companies jumping on with lots of talk about funds especially retirement funds about to jump in this year. Like all new things the big question is who will still be standing when the shake out occurs.
Also interesting is who holds large stakes. Believe it or not at one point one of the larger holders was the US government after they took down Silk Road. They eventually sold it off.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nope.

I predict the .govs are going to shut it all down. Saw a thing today about bitcoin financing child sex trafficking rings.

View Quote

So does US currency.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does it pay dividends?
View Quote

The old way of doing things doesn’t cut it anymore. With BlockFi, you can use cryptocurrency to earn interest at up to 8.6% APY, borrow cash, and buy or sell crypto.

https://blockfi.com/
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got to wondering how many people don’t own crypto and why. Is it a matter of distrust, or are you simply disinterested/indifferent to it? Do you feel it’s a scheme? Worried that it will vanish, or be outlawed? Maybe you were like me and saw the various crypto threads over the years here and just didn’t follow along. Not making a judgment on anyone’s reasoning.,,just simply curious.

Crypto has caught the attention of the masses and even more recently big institutional firms. What keeps you away?
View Quote

I have no clue what the coins do or the reason for their value.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I’m going to get into it soon. Will start with AMP Token I think. It’s low and has potential from what I’ve read. Even if I just do some “penny stock” buying and selling...it’s cheap fun that may yield me beer money or better. I don’t plan to invest more than I’m willing to lose...that’s for sure. Will probably go with $500 or so to start.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does it pay dividends?
View Quote

@Hydra-shokz

Yes many you can “stake”

Tezos on Coinbase is currently getting 4.63% interest.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2021/02/the_federal_reserve_is_taking_us_into_uncharted_and_deadly_waters.html

In the longest run, the unhinged spending-deficit–new money grift works only because the U.S. is the world's reserve currency.  China understands this.  As much as anything else, a prime Chinese agenda is to displace the dollar as the world's reserve currency with an "international" — i.e., non-U.S. — medium of exchange.  Blockchain technology will make this possible even as reckless spending with printed money hastens our collapse.
------------------------------------------------------
This unnerving state of affairs has been long in the making and has many parents, Republicans and Democrats alike.  But nothing in our history matches the radical acceleration into the abyss being pushed upon us now, exclusively by one party, and just as we should instead be repairing our finances.

William Levin is the founder and managing director of a New York investment banking firm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
$2.00 here we come!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Not willing to invest real currency into something I know nothing about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Anybody buying crypto tonight?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh bullsheet man. The entire premise of blockchain is tip-toeing around trust. You're trading speed and efficiency so everyone can be on the "same page". It's not revolutionary tech that increases productivity.

Imagine I needed to tell Joe Blow something. In a blockchain ecosystem I have to pay Lucy, Becky, and Pam to document to what I need to tell Joe. I tell Joe and then Lucy, Becky, and Pam follows up to verify. It's a spendy and slow process compared to simply going straight to Joe without the intermediary. But at least Joe can't misconstrue what I said? How problematic is the trust issue that we would need to implement a less efficient process?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread should be entertaining. I love hearing old and out of touch guys talk shit about what they don't understand.

Regular bank and credit card transactions often take days to settle in the background. Use your card on a Saturday and it’s in limbo until Monday.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Trying to decide if I should buy more Bitcoin and/or Ethereum today. Are they headed up or down in the immediate future?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Trying to decide if I should buy more Bitcoin and/or Ethereum today. Are they headed up or down in the immediate future?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would not buy any crypto currently for gains in the “immediate future” unless you are buying stable coins to stake and earn interest.  For all others buy and hold long term because you believe that project will be a major player in a couple of years.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Because, I don't understand it.  And, I don't put my money into things I don't understand.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, I have a question. I just watched the Stellar videos and answered the questions to get free money. Stellar and other coins stressed how great their coins are for making 'remittances' to relatives in other countries like Mexico or the Philippines.

My question is, how do you account for taxes?

If you bought the coins from a US business, then the IRS will want to know what they are sold for, right? And would the purchaser be on the hook for any appreciation in value after the cryptocurrency was gifted? Like suppose you buy some cryptocurrency, give it to a foreign relative and your relative doesn't spend it for a month and the value goes up during that time. If you can transfer them to a foreign relative and not pay taxes then that seems like a huge tax loophole, right?

How does all this work?

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#33]

-$2.00 here we come!
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Because I don't trust anything that has other people controlling it.

There's potential there, but for most of it you have to have some level of trust in the individuals controlling that system.

There have been enough scams and outright theft within the various crypto systems.....so not something I want to deal with.

I stick with doing local things, improving skill set and being able to produce something of worth to my local community.

So for me....tangibles.  All the rest of it is fiat bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
 All the rest of it is fiat bullshit.
View Quote

@czechsix

I don't disagree but I still bought some cryptocurrency. I bought a variety of coins thinking of them as long term lottery tickets. It's kind of fun to have a little irrational hope. Of course, I only bought $550 worth so far. Maybe I'll buy more but I haven't decided yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The old way of doing things doesn’t cut it anymore. With BlockFi, you can use cryptocurrency to earn interest at up to 8.6% APY, borrow cash, and buy or sell crypto.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it pay dividends?

Do they pay you back interest in crypto of the invested coin or in some alt Shitcoin?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Tulip mania.

I think at some point there will be a man behind the curtain revealed, who just ran off with everybody's money.

I admit I do not know much about it, but what I see sure looks like a high tech ponzi scheme. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tulip mania.

I think at some point there will be a man behind the curtain revealed, who just ran off with everybody's money.

I admit I do not know much about it, but what I see sure looks like a high tech ponzi scheme. YMMV
View Quote

Agreed. But so is every currency in the world. That's what was so great about Trump's presidency - he showed us how corrupt every institution is. You can't trust anything, especially the dollar. The dollar is going to zero and that will be the kickoff to the Great Reset. And it will all be blamed on the 'Failure of Capitalism'. It won't be true, of course, but the rubes will still believe it because the MSM will have killed off any alternative voices by then.

@Slufstuff
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do they pay you back interest in crypto of the invested coin or in some alt Shitcoin?
View Quote

Don't know. My brother is doing it and we're emailing back and forth about crypto. He's pretty sharp, I've bought some crypto but haven't looked too deeply into Blockfi. He's put some of his crypto into blockfi.
My investment is mostly a hedge against our almost $30 trillion debt. People say the gov could outlaw crypto, but Venezuela hasn't done it yet and there are companies there accepting crypto as payment. Probably because Venezuela money is as worthless as a liberal. I'll also add again, APMex is accepting bit coin. That's kind of interesting to me.
https://www.apmex.com/category/10000/gold-bullion

APMEX
apmex.com
APMEX, Inc., based in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, is the world's largest online retailer of precious metals, with over $11 billion in transactions since its founding in 2000.Wikipedia

So these two things are what I saw on a quick search. By all means don't buy, no one is forcing you.

Interest is paid in the client's deposited currency, meaning Bitcoin will earn Bitcoin and Ether will earn Ether

With BlockFi, you can borrow USD and use cryptocurrencies as collateral. You can borrow up to 50% of the value of your crypto and use the money for anything including a house, a mortgage, etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Not I, said the goose. Up $25,000 in the last month in crypto.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Me. Couldn't care any less.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@czechsix

I don't disagree but I still bought some cryptocurrency. I bought a variety of coins thinking of them as long term lottery tickets. It's kind of fun to have a little irrational hope. Of course, I only bought $550 worth so far. Maybe I'll buy more but I haven't decided yet.
View Quote
@oldbutspry

Never hurts to distribute the eggs, as long as the percentages aren't too lopsided.  If I felt more comfortable with sending some unknown group my identification, photo, etc - then I'd probably also start delving into crypto. But I don't trust folks that much. And yes, I know with digging all that information is already out there, but some of it like the state issued ID is still not easy to grab. I'd like to make that as hard as possible for some dickhead to steal, as I can.

Honestly though, if I had invested in something like BTC when it started, and I had a few mil in it - I'd probably be divesting myself of it about now, and buying lots of land. Plus tools to utilize that land.

And if I had surplus, I'd be setting my kids and their families up for success also. Paid for homes and properties, training, tools, etc.  Still more surplus? I'd be investing in supporting local politicians, businesses and organizations that have my values. Wouldn't hurt to have a Judge or two on my side .
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I live paycheck to paycheck with no assets outside my checking account.  WTF is crypto?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I have absolutely no clue as to what it is.  Near as I can tell people are buying and selling electrons.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#45]
How much money is that? How long for someone to hit the delete button?
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top