BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
@joemama74

Good point.

Ill be honest. Im always on edge. Im a psych nurse and am always expecting chaos. Back when i was a commercial fisherman i was always on my toes for shit. Plus i bounced part time. Before that, infantry.

When i was a kid my dad would yell out math problems at random times to keep me thinking and once in elementary school he jumped out from behind a tree and i instantly punched him in the stomach. I didn't hurt him or anything, i was a kid.

3 days ago the latch on my wifes cars hood broke and flew up and shattered the windshield. She was screaming, i calmly pulled the car over from highway speeds.

You're right. Preparing to shoot on the range is different than reacting to a mass shooter. There's nothing we can do to change that. But practice, especially competitively, does allow us to shoot under stress.

I think if someone can funtion under stress then they'll do well.

An oil rig worker, a cop, etc should all be able to function.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty damn easy, and something I do every time I'm at a range with a carry gun - and much faster.

Now, doing it with real stakes and an active shooter? Different story, and I remain damn impressed with Jack Wilson for pulling it off so beautifully.
View Quote
This... Having actually shot someone at close range in defense, im damn impressed by what he did. Its really hard to get across the level of adrenaline you have to deal with in such a situation.

I thank God that I have trained and shot so much because there are so many things that go to shit.. tunnel vision, auditory exclusion.  They are real. I Didn't hear the four shots i made.. i honestly didnt know how many for sure until i talked to the prosecutor a month later.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot at plates 125 yards.....

Not always a hit on a 12” plate but they’d all be hits on a man sized target.

Any distance under just gets easier.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
How fast?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How fast?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How fast?
Never timed it. I have done some running and gunning drills and it seems the less I think about it the faster and more accurately I become.

Good shooting BTW.

Damnit, I need to do more draw and shoot drills.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
"Headshot" implies a cranio-ocular vault shot.
That target is NOT round, nor is it 8" in diameter.
A guy posted about this drill using a 3x5" note card the other day.
That is a much more realistic target for a CO shot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kinda.

I would argue that there's a place for slow, aimed fire and there's a place for moving quickly. They do build on each other, it's like taking a High Power Rifleman and putting in a live fire shoot-house. He might not miss, but boy it's going to be hokey.

It's best to have both skills.
View Quote
well said

Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@joemama74

Good point.

Ill be honest. Im always on edge. Im a psych nurse and am always expecting chaos. Back when i was a commercial fisherman i was always on my toes for shit. Plus i bounced part time. Before that, infantry.

When i was a kid my dad would yell out math problems at random times to keep me thinking and once in elementary school he jumped out from behind a tree and i instantly punched him in the stomach. I didn't hurt him or anything, i was a kid.

3 days ago the latch on my wifes cars hood broke and flew up and shattered the windshield. She was screaming, i calmly pulled the car over from highway speeds.

You're right. Preparing to shoot on the range is different than reacting to a mass shooter. There's nothing we can do to change that. But practice, especially competitively, does allow us to shoot under stress.

I think if someone can funtion under stress then they'll do well.

An oil rig worker, a cop, etc should all be able to function.
View Quote
One of the last deer I shot, I was sitting in my deer stand with my rifle laying across my lap. Kind of a slow morning, hadn't seen much. I happened to glance a little further out out and saw a deer on the move in a 20 yard opening between some trees, he was making a fast walk and he was already halfway across.

My brain process was like this:

Deer.

BIG DEER!!!

SHOOT IT!!!

In about 3 seconds I had the rifle up and made the shot and the deer dropped just as it hit the trees. 255 yards on the move and I broke his neck with my shot. One of the most primal reactions in my life. There was no "how many points did it have?" or "how fat was it?". It met two very crude criteria, and once those boxes were checked, there wasn't time to put your game face on, you just do it.

If I had time to think about it, I doubt I could do it again. But again, I'm deer hunting, in a deer stand, shooting in what I know is a free fire zone.

If I was in a movie theater and 3 guys came in wearing clown suits, carrying Ak's with purple dildos attached, and I'm in the middle of watching Frozen 2, my brain my have trouble processing just what the fuck is going on until the first few rounds go off. I may not even notice them till the first shots ring out. Then it's a decision making process. Where are my kids? Take cover? Shoot? Exit?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump for the weekend shooters.

Mad props for anyone who does it either on smaller steel or a 3x5 card
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shit.  Do you know how long it would take me to find a pistol, the right mag, a few rounds and a holster?

Me neither.  But long enough that it's faster to call the county sheriff and see if he can get here to help me look.
View Quote
If you need a Glock holster, holler.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Stupid range where I shoot doesn't allow drawing from the holster, so I'll have to go cold from low ready....best I can do.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Stupid range where I shoot doesn't allow drawing from the holster, so I'll have to go cold from low ready....best I can do.
The fuck.
Not the first indoor range I've been to doesn't allow a draw.

Sometimes ranges will let you draw if you prove competency with an RO or something, but not here.

I participate in their "Advanced Pistol Course" every week where we draw and fire, move, etc. but if you're there on your own time no one can draw. Sucks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Talked with my daughter about this very thing and we're going to start incorporating it into our practice ... good post op and nice shooter I may have to dig into the revolvers now and get tuned back up with a couple of em
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, heres the challenge. 15 yard headshot. Cold from concealment.

You can use steel or a paper target, pie plate, etc.

No timer needed. Just do it!

Only the first shot counts but you can of course do more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjU40-RIs_A
View Quote
@03RN now do it with the shockwave strapped to your backpack you always seem to have in the woods
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@03RN now do it with the shockwave strapped to your backpack you always seem to have in the woods
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, heres the challenge. 15 yard headshot. Cold from concealment.

You can use steel or a paper target, pie plate, etc.

No timer needed. Just do it!

Only the first shot counts but you can of course do more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjU40-RIs_A
Straight Book of Eli right there.
Would be pretty awesome.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top