User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
British people are better at being menacing. I bet even Michael Caine could turn on a scary routine.

The USMC thing is terrifying to a teenage boy away from home for the first time, but how do guys in their mid-20's react to it?

View Quote

hopefully they realize the mind games as what they are, and just push on thru.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
British people are better at being menacing. I bet even Michael Caine could turn on a scary routine.

The USMC thing is terrifying to a teenage boy away from home for the first time, but how do guys in their mid-20's react to it?

View Quote

Slower from my experience
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Army Basic in 1966 for me.

Most DSs were Korean War veterans.

Company 1st Sgt one of the few men that stated in the Army after surviving the Bataan Death March.  Even being close to 50 years old he took person charge of the group of men that had trouble with PT and keeping up.  He ran them ragged and wouldn't take any excuses.

I don't know how they would have compared to British drill sergeants but the cadre were a tough bunch of guys that demanded we give our best.  They were not hesitant about knocking us up side the head if they felt the need to get our attention.  They ran us ragged.

They kept telling us we were going to all be killed in Vietnam because we were spoiled baby boomer pussies.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

DI's at AIT have a different role.  They are there for instruction and correction as needed, but mostly to keep the barracks neat and orderly, the soldiers squared away and on time.  No need to beat the piss out of soldiers after they completed AIT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha. Didn't know the Brits were so intense.

I can attest to the ferocity of Marine Corps DIs though. In my experience, they were far more vicious than any video of DIs I've ever seen. When I graduated boot camp, I never wanted to see those evil bastards again.

I don't think you can judge all US drill instructors on Marine Corps DIs though... When we got to Ft Sill for MOS school, we were shocked at how Army Drill Sergeants interacted with their recruits. Every service has their own culture, I guess.

DI's at AIT have a different role.  They are there for instruction and correction as needed, but mostly to keep the barracks neat and orderly, the soldiers squared away and on time.  No need to beat the piss out of soldiers after they completed AIT.

Pretty sure that they were basic training since there were females commingled in the platoons.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Clearly a marine made that US vid. They use footage from the most POG basic in the army (ft leonard wood, females). It sure as shit wasn't like that at Knox in 09
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Brtis can still curse also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would personally be more intimidate by the Brit, because a Brit would be FAR more likely to go hands on and get physical with you.

I've seen Brit sergeants beat the crap out of a private, and there was no hesitation.  It was quite impressive, and since I was a sergeant at the time, I was quite envious.  

Wait a second. US sergeants cant curse ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Clearly a marine made that US vid. They use footage from the most POG basic in the army (ft leonard wood, females). It sure as shit wasn't like that at Knox in 09
View Quote

Another one!

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/11/military-basic-training-boot-camp/
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I could only understand every 5th word from the provost, but I could tell he's not someone you want to interact with often, if at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
As long as you remember its all a game and will be over after boot its easy.

It was harder and easier for me since I joined at 26 and had already traveled the world working the oil business.

Pay attention and do what you are told and its over before you know it.

What blew my mind were the people that acted like they didn't want to be there, seemed to do everything they could to fuck up.

You all volunteered for this!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is that Army clip a joke?  Are they really that nice?  The Air Force Drill Sergeants are more like the Marine ones than the Army based on that video.
View Quote

It really used to be like that before the TI's got caught fucking trainee's at Lackland.  Everyone I knew who went Blue to Green during the first decade of 2000s, said that Army basic was far more laid back with more freedoms.

Now, they've flipped back to typical expectations, and AF basic is a joke.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I refuse to believe that US Drille sergeants are not allowed to curse.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would personally be more intimidate by the Brit, because a Brit would be FAR more likely to go hands on and get physical with you.

I've seen Brit sergeants beat the crap out of a private, and there was no hesitation.  It was quite impressive, and since I was a sergeant at the time, I was quite envious.  

I refuse to believe that US Drille sergeants are not allowed to curse.  

"What do you say when senior instructors ask if it bothers you when your instructor curses?"

"He doesn't curse, sir!"
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My DS were Scary MoFo's that swore like no one's business... one carried a 6" boot knife and folder, and would make you cut your buttons off of your BDU's if He found an unbuttoned pocket. (16 buttons on BDU's)..

Ft Knox 83
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
          SHUT UP!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Qr4521pdA

Best TV sgt major evar

lol

View Quote

Blast from my past and agreed!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My DS were Scary MoFo's that swore like no one's business... one carried a 6" boot knife and folder, and would make you cut your buttons off of your BDU's if He found an unbuttoned pocket. (16 buttons on BDU's)..

Ft Knox 83
View Quote

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/11/military-basic-training-boot-camp/

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Well in AIT we had an English Senior Drill. He was funny as Hell.  "Caviar comes from the virgin sturgon, Virgin sturgon a very fine fish".........!

The other line I'll never forget, during an inspection. "What's this Private?! A pubic hair on display?!" To my roomy that didn't check his soap bar before putting it out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Ft Benning '69 here. Wasn't fun at all. Anyway - if you want an idea of the WWII British Army mindset you can't beat this movie at all

The Hill

And similar for the Wehrmacht  same period

Straf Battalion 999
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bls1KKDwmo

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ft Knox 83
View Quote

That still happened at Knox in 2010.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Move it before I sew up your arsehole :)

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top