Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/7/2023 7:04:01 PM EDT
Is there a preferred direction? Open inward towards the property or open outward the street? 8ft board on board.

I have enough driveway to pull in to my drive way and stop to open the gate. The gate will not be set up for visitors to drive up to the gate and use an intercom system.

The only negative of the gate opening inward is that the sweep of the gate will take up driveway space inside the fenced area that you can’t use. The only situation I can imagine is trying to pull extra vehicles into the fenced area and close the gate.

I think opening inward may be best because the house and the fence will help block the wind when the gate is open.

Is all just preference?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Inward so the wind cannot blow it
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
side to side is the only answer.  On a remote opener
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Sideways with an opener
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sideways with an opener
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 sideways

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Inward seems more fancy for approaching visitors IMO.

I suppose at a certain point, if you have enough guests, you're just gonna have to start telling them to park on the lawn. How often do you throw big parties?

Or why not get both?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Only The Poors have gates that swing.  Stop being poor and have one that drops into the ground.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Generally inward.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Like the toll gate in Blazing Saddles.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

or sideways.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Inward, Unless you want visitors who are mentally challenged pulling up too close and the gate hitting their cars.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
No single right answer. Depends which side has more room for your vehicle and that won’t impair your other activities. Ours swings “inward” away from the street, but if we didn’t have the room, it would swing out.

Don’t know what the wind comment is about. In our area, the wind blows many directions so it doesn’t sway the equation.

Some say you shouldn’t be in the position of driving towards the non-hinged edge of the gate, but if you run into the gate from any angle, you have a problem.

ETA The point about visitors seems valid. We don’t have visitors parking inside the gate.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Inward, Unless you want visitors who are mentally challenged pulling up too close and the gate hitting their cars.
View Quote

Or people using your own gate as a barricade to keep your car in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Up.  Bounus for spikes on the bottom
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Gate should either swing inward, or slide laterally like a pocket door.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#18]

That’s a sweet gate design. I dig it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
My Dumb Ass neighbors put in a double wide pipe gate that swings both directions,
Occasionally, one of their teenage sons forgets to latch it and it swings out into the road.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there a preferred direction? Open inward towards the property or open outward the street? 8ft board on board.

I have enough driveway to pull in to my drive way and stop to open the gate. The gate will not be set up for visitors to drive up to the gate and use an intercom system.

The only negative of the gate opening inward is that the sweep of the gate will take up driveway space inside the fenced area that you can’t use. The only situation I can imagine is trying to pull extra vehicles into the fenced area and close the gate.

I think opening inward may be best because the house and the fence will help block the wind when the gate is open.

Is all just preference?
View Quote

Raise up or roll side to side. Then you don’t have to worry about how close you park on either side.

Poors
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why you put your keypad/intercom far enough away they have to stop to use it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Only The Poors have gates that swing.  Stop being poor and have one that drops into the ground.
View Quote

Shit don’t work with 18” of snow and -30*
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Gates always open in. You don’t want your ass hanging out in the road while opening.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Pivot!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Always inward.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#28]
You want that gate to open inward.   If it opens outward, it's easier to obstruct and block your exit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Outward so you can ram your way clear outbound when swarms of fast violent zombies are running after you & yours...

Science!!  

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Gates open in with a cattle guard. Isn't this taught in grade school? No wonder the country is going to hell in a hand basket.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#31]
It opens down so you can drive over the trench
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It opens down so you can drive over the trench
View Quote

It opens down so you can drive over the MOAT!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It should slide, not swing. Parallel to the rest of the fence.
View Quote

Uncle Sam agrees!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Really the only PROPER way is to have a gatehouse with a lifting portcullis.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#35]
In towards the property.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#38]
worked for a fence  company, all gates open inward unless something special meant it had to open outward..If you look at mots gates they are right out by the street, so opening it outward won't work well because of you have to wait in the street for it to open enough, inward allows you to pull off the street and it can still open
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#39]
With the direction of traffic. So when looking at from street right opens in left opens out...

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Do it like they do gates out west. Barbed wire fence with a loop at top and bottom. Then on the other side you pull the post out from those loops.
Make sure the fence is really fucking tight so rookies get all scratched up opening and closing those fuckers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#41]
For the sake of cultural diversity, you can always try a Mexican gate.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#42]
[youtube]shorts/Lsqlx8GWbOk[/youtube]
[youtube]shorts/FBttwdRxKKM[/youtube]

Almost the maximum width I could fit in between the garage and the property corner. Just over 16' opening with a 4' mangate next to the garage. Eventually I'll build a motorized opener for it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Always inward.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the answer you seek

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@highlighter

Don’t know if you’re in a part of TX subject to ice and snow (panhandle).  But if so, be mindful of that when you design the gate.

If not, carry on.
View Quote

I’m in central TX. We get a snow and ice once every few years but it does seem more frequently now days.

What complications does snow and ice present? Build up on the gate?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where exactly do you people live where the wind only blows 1 direction? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is all just preference?
View Quote

Inward if a swing gate regardless of the wind
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Open the blast door
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top