User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Halfcocked..good name.

How many national championships does the big ten have in the last twenty years?

View Quote

That would be Michigan in 97, Ohio State in 03 and Penn State in ??.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Penn State is in there too halfcocked
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Miami was robbed on that phantom pass interference call in the 1st overtime.Had to be a big ten official.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Penn State is in there too halfcocked
View Quote

I put them in there Ben.

They thought they were [b]really[/b] good until they joined the Big 10
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Miami was robbed on that phantom pass interference call in the 1st overtime.Had to be a big ten official.
View Quote

Blah, blah, blah.

Or said another way, waaaa.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't call that a phantom pass interference. He spun the receiver around 180 degrees at the waist.

That's okay. OSU came back with a stupid facemask. Didn't matter. They still won.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Even the announcers said it was a bad call.Oh well,the final score is all that matters.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Bad call...it's the breaks of the game. 4th and goal won or lost the game. Osu just had a very strong defense...and 5 turnovers to help them.

Halfcocked...congrats on having [b]TWO[/b] NC's in twenty years..Penn State's came when they were independant. Big Ten just equaled FSU's NC's...did I mention I hate Miami? This will hurt their state recruiting this year. [:D]

I would hate to bring the Southern football's domination of college football the last twenty years. [:D] 3/4 of the NC's...thats a lot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen made.  Let me state this, I hate Florida teams, I also Hate the Big Ten (so I have no favorite here).  I also officiate high school football.  I saw the same bad call made in A thursday night Marshall game this fall.  It makes me sick to see a game influenced like that by an offical.  

In a situation like tonight, the offical has to ask himself if there was an advantage gained by the defensive player.  In this case there clearly was not (he didn't turn the reciever 180 degrees, he turned himself to cath the ball that was thrown behind).    

Its all for not anyway, until there is a playoff system, there can be no true National Champion.  Alas, it will never happen, there is too much money to be made withthe bowl system (espically the BCS).  I love the sport of football and it makes me sick to see things like bad calls the decide game, the bad match-up in bowl games that are only made to make the most money.  Just makes me sick.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#10]
sloth I agree, that pass interference call was horse sh*t. In addition OSU should have gotten a 15 yard penatly for that flagrant facemask instead of the five.  That's assuming a 15 yard call for a flagrant facemask exists in college ball.  I normally watch the NFL.

It's very unfortuanate the game ended in such a questionable manor

~rssc
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
College football is a joke, they have too many easy games during the regular season, and then they stop playing before thanksgiving and play one more game after New Years, what a joke
USC had the shortest time off and they looked the sharpest. Teams like Miami, Iowa with sophisticated offenses looked really rusty with 6 weeks off, and the injuries start to mount.
I dont think OSU would have beaten Iowa during the regular season when they were hot.
If they didnt give them a month off or have a kickoff classic in friggin August they could have a playoff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

~rssc
View Quote

You never hear the winners complaining about questionable calls. No question about the final score.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

~rssc
View Quote

You never hear the winners complaining about questionable calls. No question about the final score.
View Quote

I'm not a Miami fan.  Last night I was simply a someone that wanted to see a good (fair) game.  I'm also a person who doesn't like to see an obvious officiating error decide the outcome of a game.  As they say, "sh*t happens". Last night was proof of that.

~rssc
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
If the canes had to play a big 12,sec.or big 10 schdule they'd never get as far as they do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen made.  Let me state this, I hate Florida teams, I also Hate the Big Ten (so I have no favorite here).  I also officiate high school football.  I saw the same bad call made in A thursday night Marshall game this fall.  It makes me sick to see a game influenced like that by an offical.  

In a situation like tonight, the offical has to ask himself if there was an advantage gained by the defensive player.  In this case there clearly was not (he didn't turn the reciever 180 degrees, he turned himself to cath the ball that was thrown behind).    
View Quote

If you're an official, you know that being in position is very important.  The official was in position to make the call in question.  You, observing on TV and [b]not being in position[/b] to make the call, missed things.  The defensive player was not turning to make the catch, as you can see clearly in the photo below.

[img]http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/college/img6099227.jpg[/img]

It's hard to judge advantage/disadvantage just from that photo, but it does serve to point out that the TV observer often does not have as good a vantage point as the official.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:07:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're an official, you know that being in position is very important.  The official was in position to make the call in question.  You, observing on TV and [b]not being in position[/b] to make the call, missed things.  The defensive player was not turning to make the catch, as you can see clearly in the photo below.

[url]http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/college/img6099227.jpg[/url]

It's hard to judge advantage/disadvantage just from that photo, but it does serve to point out that the TV observer often does not have as good a vantage point as the official.
View Quote

This picture does look damning until you realize it is AFTER the ball is past him.He's aleady missed it.Here's something interesting...

ESPN reports this:The official is Terry Porter from the Big12.Big12 offcials in the last 2 years have issued at least 2 known written apologies concerning blown calls made by this guy.When have you ever heard of this happening?For the conference to have to do something like that makes me ask "What The Hell Was This Guy Doing There"

Anyway it's water under the bridge.You'll never convince OSU fans that it wasn't a great call and you'll never convince the rest of the country that it wasn't a blown call.All that matters is that OSU was leading at the end.It's too bad OSU will have their National Championship tainted by this.That's a hell of a defense they have.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[url]http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/college/img6099227.jpg[/url]

View Quote

This picture does look damning until you realize it is AFTER the ball is past him.He's aleady missed it.Here's something interesting...

ESPN reports this:The official is Terry Porter from the Big12.Big12 offcials in the last 2 years have issued at least 2 known written apologies concerning blown calls made by this guy.When have you ever heard of this happening?For the conference to have to do something like that makes me ask "What The Hell Was This Guy Doing There"

Anyway it's water under the bridge.You'll never convince OSU fans that it wasn't a great call and you'll never convince the rest of the country that it wasn't a blown call.All that matters is that OSU was leading at the end.It's too bad OSU will have their National Championship tainted by this.That's a hell of a defense they have.
View Quote

The picture was taken slightly after the ball was past him.  However, the ball is still in the picture, so it's only a fraction of a second after.  In that fraction of a second, I doubt the defensive back could go from a legal guarding position to having his arms completely wrapped in a bear hug around the receiver.

This isn't a matter of OSU fans being in the minority versus the rest of the country seeing a bad call.  If you look at the poll on the ESPN.com site, the 150,000 votes are split 50-50 on the call.  CBS Sportsline says, "Television replays showed that Sharpe appeared to grab Gamble before the ball arrived. Miami fans surely will dispute that, as well as the national title that slipped away..."  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top