User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 spoilers warning

Losing Sam (his dag) was crucial; she was the last connection to other humans.  Hundreds of days with her alone and he kept trucking.  Once she died, he gave up.  He went out to the pier to commit suicide.  

Only through his giving up and letting go did he find the woman and girl.  Although he (unknowingly to him) did find a cure, it wouldn't be shown to him until he gave up his god-like approach to finding it.  He needed the help of something more than himself, and it could only be accessed and revealed through being with others.  

It's more of less the idea that a) our gifts come through us, not from us, and b) we are like mirrors to each other, and can only see and find truth together.  We are blind by ourselves.  Only through seeing the butterfly could he see the answer, and he only saw the butterfly through someone who had zero understanding of medicine, cures, or science.

His death was not only painless, but fulfilling and sacrificial.  Not only did he get to die to save two souls five feet away, but enable more to be created in the safe zone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dog shoulda survived, Will Smith dies a horrible agonizing death.
 spoilers warning

Losing Sam (his dag) was crucial; she was the last connection to other humans.  Hundreds of days with her alone and he kept trucking.  Once she died, he gave up.  He went out to the pier to commit suicide.  

Only through his giving up and letting go did he find the woman and girl.  Although he (unknowingly to him) did find a cure, it wouldn't be shown to him until he gave up his god-like approach to finding it.  He needed the help of something more than himself, and it could only be accessed and revealed through being with others.  

It's more of less the idea that a) our gifts come through us, not from us, and b) we are like mirrors to each other, and can only see and find truth together.  We are blind by ourselves.  Only through seeing the butterfly could he see the answer, and he only saw the butterfly through someone who had zero understanding of medicine, cures, or science.

His death was not only painless, but fulfilling and sacrificial.  Not only did he get to die to save two souls five feet away, but enable more to be created in the safe zone.
How did he know a safe zone was real?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone dust off a link to Arfcom's bathtub thread, circa back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it, and honestly wished it was longer.

I could have used more scenes of him messing around in the ruined city.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like Will Smith & liked it better than the original, which was more B movie-ish, but I can't stand the part where the GSD dies. We put down our GSD the same week I saw the movie at home, and I cried like a baby when the GSD died.

I haven't watched it since.
View Quote
That was a great scene.  Conveyed a sense of loss like nothing else I've seen on film in a while.  Smith's acting definitely matured with this movie.  I wish it wasn't ruined by CGI.  Good otherwise, though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
He is an awesome poster in survival forum (IamLegend), and some other arfcom areas.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The alternate ending made alot more sense.  They should have used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPSk30qzgFs
View Quote
I've never seen that, thanks for posting.

The movie was entertaining, the book was great. The copy I read came with some short stories. Richard Matheson writes some freaky, awesome stuff. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
It was ok. Will Smith played Will Smith. I have seen worse acting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Nobody has made a movie of it that wasn't boring as shit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The movie and the book sucked.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked the movie.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Book was better and was much, much different than the movie but I enjoyed both. I think they did a good job with the movie.
View Quote
This.  But the CGI vamps?    Ugh
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I loved that movie in college when i would have a chick over, they always jumped within a few mins of the movie starting so you could catch them and well, get handsy from there
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Book was better and was much, much different than the movie but I enjoyed both. I think they did a good job with the movie.
View Quote
The book is almost always better!

I didn't know there was a book !
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It was ok. Will Smith played Will Smith. I have seen worse acting.
View Quote
Will Smith has made a lucrative career playing Will Smith.  Dude has zero range, but at least he's entertaining as Will Smith.

He's no Gary Oldman.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
the setup was interesting, but the story was pointless even if they hadn't used the IAL title.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
It was a good movie. I might watch it again tonight.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dog shoulda survived, Will Smith dies a horrible agonizing death.
 spoilers warning

Only through his giving up and letting go did he find the woman and girl boy.  Although he (unknowingly to him) did find a cure, it wouldn't be shown to him until he gave up his god-like approach to finding it.  He needed the help of something more than himself, and it could only be accessed and revealed through being with others.  

He gained faith.  The woman had the butterfly tattoo on her neck.  He had no faith in what she said (that a safe zone existed and that god sent her to find it) prior to seeing the butterfly outlined by the cracks in the glass, then her neck.  

At that point, the universe, or god, or whatever is screaming at him that he is not running the show.  He realizes that those two things (butterfly glass and tattoo) cannot be coincidence, and they must be of intelligent design of a higher power than himself or her.  He realizes he is a tool to be used, he is not in control of destiny, but does serve a very specific purpose.  

He could keep running, save himself, and crawl in the hole with the woman and boy, but the zombie leader has continually chased him down and closed distance.  They might not be safe in the hole, and he risks humanity's destruction.  

The cure in the blood is an allegory basically saying that the cure to the decay of our humanity is listening to the truth that comes through (not from) us and others.  

I'm tired and don't have all my thoughts collected perfectly on this.  Might have to think it through more.  Hopefully that helps.  Very spiritual/theological film.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I loved that movie in college when i would have a chick over, they always jumped within a few mins of the movie starting so you could catch them and well, get handsy from there
View Quote
 Nothing beats Children of Men for that...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Just basing the movie on its own, not on its source material, I don't get how someone as seemingly prepared as Neville did miss some obvious stupid shit.

He prepped the fuck out of his house. Covers his scent when entering, covered the windows with gates, gas barrels rigged with explosives outside, lights etc but doesn't have any MG's covering the outside. (and he has at least one, there was a shot of a SAW in his entryway closet). 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#21]
We got this pic out of it 

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#22]
hahaha that's great!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#23]
The look on the dogs face!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]
The dog in real life is probably dead now.   Old age.    :(
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Good movie.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Omega Man for the foxy black chick.

The empty M16 rattling like a toy gun was funny though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Will Smith's acting is so terrible it almost turns the film into an unintentional comedy.

A few scenes from the movie are entertaining but overall Smith's attempts at acting in the film are such a trainwreck it just ruins the entire flick.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
What breed of dog is that?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#29]
The book was more better
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Eh, they could have done more with the orginal story. The vamps in the movie were one dimensional, only smart enough for traps and messing with Neville. Book vamps had a developed society and were capable of complex thought. Book Neville became the (reverse) boogyman, that made him a legend. Thus his final words were...I Am Legend. To them Neville was the vampire that killed them one by one while they slept.  That was lost in the movie. They had the opportunity to explore,  perspective, and what is the boogyman in a thriving society. But no. they went for a dumb popcorn movie. Which is what it is, a dumb popcorn movie.
View Quote
This.

The movie was "meh"

Actually, reading the original screenplay was very enjoyable... totally different than the movie, IIRC. Damn, it's been years.  http://www.horrorlair.com/scripts/legend.txt script: i am legend
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought it was good. Not perfect, but a good solid movie.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#32]
The book was great.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#33]
ending ruined it
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember the Omega man as a kid.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I enjoyed it, would watch again..
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#37]
The CGI vampires really killed it for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought it sucked when I saw it in the theater. I thought it sucked when I saw it on Blu-Ray. (Although, the alternate ending sucked *slightly* less.)

"The Last Man on Earth" was better, IMO. "The Omega Man", with Charlton Heston fighting zombie ANTIFA was better. (Shit, it had Anthony Zerbe in it, so it wins right there.)

I had high hopes until I heard that Will Smith was attached, at which point I figured it was going to be a lightweight movie - which it was.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#39]
What kind of pants are those?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just basing the movie on its own, not on its source material, I don't get how someone as seemingly prepared as Neville did miss some obvious stupid shit.

He prepped the fuck out of his house. Covers his scent when entering, covered the windows with gates, gas barrels rigged with explosives outside, lights etc but doesn't have any MG's covering the outside. (and he has at least one, there was a shot of a SAW in his entryway closet). 
View Quote
His character wasn't an infantryman. He was the sort of soldier that would be at Fort Detrick wearing a lab coat or a spaceman suit spending his days studying germ warfare. He would probably have very minimal training in weapons and tactics. His character is supposed to be intelligent so he would figure some things out for himself but I wouldn't expect him to be able to plan a defense much better then a grunt could work in a lab using what they remembered from high school science classes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I hated it. The first two were much better movies with better story lines and no fake looking, crappy CGI. Both Vincent Price and Charlton Heston were better actors than Will Smith will ever be.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Movie started ok - got stupid real fast - then ended badly.

Almost as if they never read Matheson's original novella at all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just finished watching it for the first time in ages.

The CGI sucked but as a story I've felt it's grown on me.
View Quote

I liked the Tom Cruise/Ridley Scott movie, "Legend."  

The Will Smith shitshow was fucking horrible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Eh, they could have done more with the orginal story. The vamps in the movie were one dimensional, only smart enough for traps and messing with Neville. Book vamps had a developed society and were capable of complex thought. Book Neville became the (reverse) boogyman, that made him a legend. Thus his final words were...I Am Legend. To them Neville was the vampire that killed them one by one while they slept.  That was lost in the movie. They had the opportunity to explore,  perspective, and what is the boogyman in a thriving society. But no. they went for a dumb popcorn movie. Which is what it is, a dumb popcorn movie.
View Quote
This. I didn't think the book was very engaging, but at least it had a unique/surprising idea that made it worthwhile. They fucked up the movie completely by throwing the one good thing about the book out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Today's eclipse must have warped us back 10 years.

PS. Guys, buy Facebook and Apple.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I thought he deleted all of his pictures.
View Quote
That pic has made its rounds on the internet 
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top