Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.... And the tank.

That's pretty sweet as well.

Don't forget all the free Otis Spunkmeyer muffins you can eat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.. It's not about the game or the street cred,

I dunno.  The street cred is pretty sweet.

.... And the tank.

I love those!
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Join the AF and be a 2T2. They get into the shit allll the fucking time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Serious or not OP expect the same stuff in this thread if you do enlist.  Its a right of passage.  Not hazing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
.... And the tank.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.. It's not about the game or the street cred,

I dunno.  The street cred is pretty sweet.

.... And the tank.

And RipIts. That's the most important part.

When mixed together, they are delicious.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bet you don't have a clue what the P.J.'s are about!
View Quote

So others may live. Pretty much sums it up right there big man
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do, if you're serious about this, start running until you can cover three miles in 18 minutes or less.  If you can do that, then you're one step ahead of the game.

All that SF shit sounds great from the outside looking in, but 30 seconds into the selection process will make you feel like it wasn't such a great idea *after all*.

You have to have the stomach for it.  Most don't.  

Maturity, maturity, maturity....

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Talk to the combat vets in your family then. Take their advice. My Dad was a rifleman in Korea. When I decided to enlist in the Marines he nearly became physically ill. I enlisted anyway. If it's just military service you desire, go for it. If it's some lofty B.S. ideal about patriotism, and defending your country, you should think real hard on it. You'll likely end up "defending" some country where the people don't give a damn about you, and don't want you there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know y'all think this is a big joke but I'm being completely serious. I'm a junior I'm highschool and I want to go to college. My dad served his 10 years in the army and 5 in national guard. My grandfather is a 2 time Purple Heart recipient from fighting in Vietnam. My great grandfather was in WWII. His father and his father before him served. As you can probably tell I come from a long line of veterans so you could say it's in my blood. I've wanted to be in the military for as long as I can remember. Now I want to to something bigger than myself. It's not about the game or the street cred, it's about every past present and future soldier that has allowed me the freedom I have and I want to Carry that on. I was thinkin about the PJ's or the green Berets

Talk to the combat vets in your family then. Take their advice. My Dad was a rifleman in Korea. When I decided to enlist in the Marines he nearly became physically ill. I enlisted anyway. If it's just military service you desire, go for it. If it's some lofty B.S. ideal about patriotism, and defending your country, you should think real hard on it. You'll likely end up "defending" some country where the people don't give a damn about you, and don't want you there.

Sounds like a lot of our military engagements throughout history
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh Lord....

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Seriously, figure out what job you want, then figure out the branch from there.

If you specifically want to end up in Special Forces then obviously you have to go Army.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Merchant Marine Force Recon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

He has a bright future in SF sir.  He's oozing it all over this thread.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Pjs are the guys who jump behind enemy lives to save the pilot who was shot shot down or that soldier who was captured or just the soldier who is having the worst day of his life on the ground. They do things nobody else wants to. They aren't only saving military guys they also save civilians and such from natural disasters.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're serious don't enlist into the Corps with a Recon contract. Knew a guy from SOI who thought he was gonna be hot shit in Recon then fell out of MART and worked supply his whole enlistment.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know y'all think this is a big joke but I'm being completely serious. I'm a junior I'm highschool and I want to go to college. My dad served his 10 years in the army and 5 in national guard. My grandfather is a 2 time Purple Heart recipient from fighting in Vietnam. My great grandfather was in WWII. His father and his father before him served. As you can probably tell I come from a long line of veterans so you could say it's in my blood. I've wanted to be in the military for as long as I can remember. Now I want to to something bigger than myself. It's not about the game or the street cred, it's about every past present and future soldier that has allowed me the freedom I have and I want to Carry that on. I was thinkin about the PJ's or the green Berets

There's a reason the armed forces recruit teenagers.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know y'all think this is a big joke but I'm being completely serious. I'm a junior I'm highschool and I want to go to college. My dad served his 10 years in the army and 5 in national guard. My grandfather is a 2 time Purple Heart recipient from fighting in Vietnam. My great grandfather was in WWII. His father and his father before him served. As you can probably tell I come from a long line of veterans so you could say it's in my blood. I've wanted to be in the military for as long as I can remember. Now I want to to something bigger than myself. It's not about the fame or the street cred, it's about every past present and future soldier that has allowed me the freedom I have and I want to Carry that on. I was thinkin about the PJ's or the green Berets
View Quote

Sounds like you know what you want. Go for it.

I had no idea what I wanted when I was 17. I was a drop out and came to the realization I needed to do something fast or work shit jobs forever. I started with the Air Force recruiter since I was a whiz at mechanics and figured working on jets would be pretty cool. "Sorry, you need a high school diploma" was the answer. So on to the Navy and I get the same answer (I bet you know where this is going ). Army: same response.

So I reluctantly walk into the office that has a " We Never Promised You a Rose Garden" poster displayed. After the tests I was offered MOS6114 (UH-1E mechanic) as a guarantee. SCORE! Then the recruiter told me this was the fast track to crewing my own bird and flying around with it. 2 point conversion for the last fucking second win!

Best thing I ever did. Get a guarantee for what you want.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Airborne Rangers.  You ain't shit if you ain't 87th Airborne bro.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Corps.
/thread
View Quote

Marine Corps is best Corps.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had no idea what I wanted when I was 17. I was a drop out and came to the realization I needed to do something fast or work shit jobs forever. I started with the Air Force recruiter since I was a whiz at mechanics and figured working on jets would be pretty cool. "Sorry, you need a high school diploma" was the answer. So on to the Navy and I get the same answer (I bet you know where this is going ). Army: same response.

So I reluctantly walk into the office that has a " We Never Promised You a Rose Garden" poster displayed. After the tests I was offered MOS6114 (UH-1E mechanic) as a guarantee. SCORE! Then the recruiter told me this was the fast track to crewing my own bird and flying around with it. 2 point conversion for the last fucking second win!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know y'all think this is a big joke but I'm being completely serious. I'm a junior I'm highschool and I want to go to college. My dad served his 10 years in the army and 5 in national guard. My grandfather is a 2 time Purple Heart recipient from fighting in Vietnam. My great grandfather was in WWII. His father and his father before him served. As you can probably tell I come from a long line of veterans so you could say it's in my blood. I've wanted to be in the military for as long as I can remember. Now I want to to something bigger than myself. It's not about the fame or the street cred, it's about every past present and future soldier that has allowed me the freedom I have and I want to Carry that on. I was thinkin about the PJ's or the green Berets

That's awesome.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, if you're serious about this, start running until you can cover three miles in 18 minutes or less.  If you can do that, then you're one step ahead of the game.

All that SF shit sounds great from the outside looking in, but 30 seconds into the selection process will make you feel like it wasn't such a great idea *after all*.

View Quote

I'm thinking as soon as he gets to airborne school & sees all the current RASP recruits low-crawling up/down the asphalt roads he might just change his mind...
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone put it better than I could a few days ago. Something like "The guys look bad ass in the commercials because they're so pissed they have to be out there wet, tired, and sore."

Rucking is not fun. Patrolling... not fun. Standing around in gear... not fun. Staying in a position overnight... not fun.

Driving places. Not fun.
Flying places. Not fun... usually. Helicopters are usually fun.

Unless they crash.

Helicopter crashes. Not fun.

All the mountains of stupid paperwork you have to do for no reason. Not fun.

All the medical nonsense that must occur. Not fun.

All the random briefings you have to sit through. Not fun.

Dealing with people who share an IQ and shoe size. Not fun.

Dealing with all the equipment you have and keeping track of everything. Not fun.

Pretty much none of it is fun. Hell, even jumping out of planes and shooting things is mostly a major pain in the ass with a couple minutes of decent fun scrambled in. And most of that is stuff that's more fun to do on the civilian side anyway. Civilian Sky diving is fun. Jumping with full gear at night is a terrible experience in its entirety from when you get to Green Ramp to when you get back into your bed next. Your shitty, shitty barracks bed, unless you knock up some hideous she-beast and get a dependapotamus leeching your paycheck and what little else remains of your soul every two weeks. Then you can live off post.

Getting shot at and shooting back at people. That's fun.

That's like... a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the time, if you're lucky.

IEDs. Not fun. They tend to come with the people-shooting-at-you thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Everybody I know who joined to be in some "special" group popped in the drug test on purpose to get out of the military...
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pjs are the guys who jump behind enemy lives to save the pilot who was shot shot down or that soldier who was captured or just the soldier who is having the worst day of his life on the ground. They do things nobody else wants to. They aren't only saving military guys they also save civilians and such from natural disasters.
View Quote

"Do things that nobody else wants to" - LOL - maybe "do things nobody else in the Chair Force wants to do."
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.

Thanks Gunny. I thought so. You disgruntled, bro?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, stop posting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

they also save civilians and such from natural disasters.
View Quote
That's the National Guard.

Unless it's a lava monster. Only the Marines fight those.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.

I'm required to be disgruntled-comes with the extra rocker.  

Actually, I'm off contract right now.  I'm in the process of losing 15 lbs so I can get back in the IRR and finish my 22nd year and then request retirement.  I'll be disgruntled then too.

I don't drink coffee.  That's probably the problem.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
You should join the Air Force so you can fly the F-35 in CAS missions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm thinking as soon as he gets to airborne school & sees all the current RASP recruits low-crawling up/down the asphalt roads he might just change his mind...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're right.  But hey, who knows?  Takes all kinds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Someone put it better than I could a few days ago. Something like "The guys look bad ass in the commercials because they're so pissed they have to be out there wet, tired, and sore."

Rucking is not fun. Patrolling... not fun. Standing around in gear... not fun. Staying in a position overnight... not fun.

Driving places. Not fun.

Unless they crash.

Dealing with all the equipment you have and keeping track of everything. Not fun.

Pretty much none of it is fun. Hell, even jumping out of planes and shooting things is mostly a major pain in the ass with a couple minutes of decent fun scrambled in. And most of that is stuff that's more fun to do on the civilian side anyway. Civilian Sky diving is fun. Jumping with full gear at night is a terrible experience in its entirety from when you get to Green Ramp to when you get back into your bed next. Your shitty, shitty barracks bed, unless you knock up some hideous she-beast and get a dependapotamus leeching your paycheck and what little else remains of your soul every two weeks. Then you can live off post.

That's like... a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the time, if you're lucky.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Driving places. Not fun.

Unless they crash.

It takes a special person to see through all that and still have the will and focus to fight aggressively.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Join the Army if you're serious about marksmanship.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  I know y'all think this is a big joke but I'm being completely serious. I'm a junior I'm highschool and I want to go to college. My dad served his 10 years in the army and 5 in national guard. My grandfather is a 2 time Purple Heart recipient from fighting in Vietnam. My great grandfather was in WWII. His father and his father before him served. As you can probably tell I come from a long line of veterans so you could say it's in my blood. I've wanted to be in the military for as long as I can remember. Now I want to to something bigger than myself. It's not about the fame or the street cred, it's about every past present and future soldier that has allowed me the freedom I have and I want to Carry that on. I was thinkin about the PJ's or the green Berets
View Quote

Fair enough.  Do you want to enlist, do a contract, get out & then go to college, or do you want to go to college & then commission?  There's 12 different services you can join, and all of them have high speed low drag jobs.  Do you want to go active duty?  Reserves?  National Guard?

What are your grades like now?  Have you taken the SAT?  Do you speak any foreign languages?  You male or female?  Do you have an idea of what colleges you'd like to attend?  Do they have ROTC?  Do you know any Congressmen?  Have any colleges contacted you?  What do you want to major in?  Do you want to be a lawyer?  A doctor?  A clergyman?  A nurse?  Are you in JROTC?  CAP?  Sea Cadets?  Young Marines?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP, stop posting.
View Quote

Any certain reason why?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Do you want to go active duty?  Reserves?  National Guard?

View Quote

Don't go right into the reserves. Go active first.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may not do it that much but they do occasionally help civilians that are lost, hurt, etc
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Active definitely
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is obviously suffering from a bout of idealism. He'll work through it, lose it, or get out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fought dragons and shit.

I don't know about you...
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, you remind me of me when I was in HS. I enlisted at 17 while still in HS.

Before we talk about anything else, how fast can you run 2 miles?
How many push ups can you do in 2 minutes?
How many sit ups can you do in 2 minutes?
Can you ruck 40% of your body weight 15 miles?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#41]
92F.

I hear it's nothing but action.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Your recruiter is your best friend and would never lie to you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can run 6:30 min miles so about 13 min for 2 miles, haven't times myself doing push ups or sit ups before. I don't know if right now in my physical fitness if I would be able to ruck 40% of my body weight for 15 miles but I would be willing to practice
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Active definitely
View Quote

Ok.  5 services to choose from.  College first, or you going to use the GI Bill to pay for college?  B/c you have time to drop a packet for a Service Academy if you're competitive, or do ROTC - preferably @ a state military college, like the Citadel or Texas A&M.  How athletic are you?  Football?  Cross country?  Track?  Basketball?  Do you lift?  Run?

You out of school already or you taking a break from studying for finals?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Your recruiter is your best friend and would never lie to you.
View Quote

That was funny
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ok.  5 services to choose from.  College first, or you going to use the GI Bill to pay for college?  B/c you have time to drop a packet for a Service Academy if you're competitive, or do ROTC - preferably @ a state military college, like the Citadel or Texas A&M.  How athletic are you?  Football?  Cross country?  Track?  Basketball?  Do you lift?  Run?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Active definitely

I'm taking finals this week. I run and lift I play football and baseball. Probably go to college so I can go in as a officer
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Honestly - start with airborne infantry and later on if you want to go SF you can always give it a shot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I appreciate those of you who are helping me
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I can run 6:30 min miles so about 13 min for 2 miles, haven't times myself doing push ups or sit ups before. I don't know if right now in my physical fitness if I would be able to ruck 40% of my body weight for 15 miles but I would be willing to practice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your 1 mile time doesn't translate to x2 for your 2 mile time. For example my 1 mile time was 6:08, later that week my 2 mile was 13:54, that extra mile slows your pace down a good bit.

Start doing push ups and sit ups for 2 minutes before running.

Start doing ruck marches, when you get good at them start doing them faster.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Another forum has a saying, "Read more post less" you might want to read all about your path to your career, instead of asking a question. You should have already known the answer to your question if you really want it.  SOF and SF are not just careers they are a life's calling and lifestyle to those warriors.

They are many options of what you can do
Army
Navy
Marines
PJs (no joke I knew one) I know they have a bad rap, but the guy I knew also sailed through another selection course.

They all live and breath that life, and it will not end when they retire or are separated from active duty.
View Quote

Do PJ's really have a bad rap?  I met a few through the years and they all seemed good to go and high speed (at least higher speed than I ever was).
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top