01/12/09   Bought        50 of POT @ $75.00 (Order #345)  -3,762.99
01/12/09   Bought        50 of POT @ $78.00 (Order #343)  -3,912.99
01/12/09   Sold        40 of SDS @ $74.05 (Order #344)  2,948.99
01/09/09   Sold        30 of SDS @ $72.00 (Order #339)  2,146.99
01/07/09   Sold        30 of SDS @ $70.00 (Order #333)  2,086.99
01/02/09   Sold        50 of POT @ $77.30 (Order #331)  3,851.98
01/02/09   Bought        30 of SDS @ $66.00 (Order #330)  -1,992.99
01/02/09   Sold        100 of EP @ $8.182 (Order #329)  805.20

I hedge POT with SDS as they perform almost exactly opposite and I trade around a core position of POT, so I'm never completely out of it.  I trade in and out of SDS with no core position.

I'm thinking of adding to my RIMM, FTI, OII positions and opening one in PDS.

RIMM is looking really good.

BOT GG calls today

Nice call on GG, auy is a similar setup

jrcc, ico, auy, hl,ng here. looking for drys, tbsi, gnk, to complete their pb's. and now that I look at pot, id like it more and more - serveral buy signals

DRYS got hammered today.  They announced they were suspending dividends.  Maybe a good time to buy?

I don't know.  A major reason to buy DRYS was the incredible 20% dividend.

yep, and the news broke the stock, it's a loser till it's not any more - I was stopped out immediately. In this market you've got to be loyal to your stops or your going have your head handed to you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
redrum

Barrak and his band of merry men will be busy this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I like TNL.  The are a medium/small company in PA.  They have been around for a long time.  Check them out.  There stock is very cheap now, right around 2 bucks per share since they missed there forcast for 4th quarter, but my research and mostly my gut tells me its a pretty solid and I feel like its going to make me some money in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering that some automotive stocks are so low, I'm considering buying stocks for the first time.  Can anyone point me in the direction so that I can understand how to go about buying stocks?  Buy low, sell high later (if they ever recover?)?

It's amazing how this happens.  Companies are in the news because they're failing and going out of business, and threads pop up on Arfcom by people declaring how they're buying Fannie Mae, Bear Stearns, AIG, and now auto companies, whatever company it is that is on its very last legs with no future whatsoever.  It's really strange.

The companies you should be looking for are the ones dragged down by the huge sell-off but are in good shape otherwise.  Not companies that are imploding from insane mismanagement.

That's the main reason why most amateur investors lose their money to sharks. First and foremost amateur investors don't know how to play high risk stocks (currently abk, F, GM, AIG, AMD, any sub $5 stocks, etc. AIG and ABK will go bankrupt).

12 months ago on the google lvlt forum, I told those morons that lvlt wasn't a good investment. At that time it was around $6 but the company has one quarterly profit in its entire existence. They were told by Jim Crammer to "back up the truck". A can't lose investment. Well the shorts made a killing out of these people. I sure did.

Lvlt went from $6 to $5 and I repeated my warning. The people on the forum told me I was stupid and the rest to buy more. Well it went to $4 and someone posted that they lost their home because of LVLT. Bad thing is, he didn't tell his wife they were going homeless. Now lvlt is at $1.

If you're going to play high risk stocks you have to sell it, win or lose on the same day. You can't hold onto them. Long run they are very very toxic.

They only stock I am currently playing is intc and I never hold it for more then two days. Stick with stocks that you know and have a long good track record of making money.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stick with stocks that you know and have a long good track record of making money.

Agreed.

There's no reason to buy speculative companies when there are good, solid blue chips that got pounded with the rest of the market sitting 50% or more off their highs.

I had LVLT and will vouch for the above.  I still have tech stocks, but they actually make money and aren't pie in the sky.

I searched through the messiahs campaign promises for pointers on where money is being funneled.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I sold some RIMM early before it tanked and picked up some PFE.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]
sold 1/2 auy,hl,ng,xco - protecting profits

bot - short term swing trades only
tbsi,f, ach,spf,exm
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
NONE
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

tbsi,f, ach,spf,exm

Yeah, sold 1/2 my auy friday. Will hold out for a little more on the rest this week.

agreed, gold looks a bit overdone

eta

I think i'm going to add YGE to the stable tomorrow. we'll see how the market wakes up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

tbsi,f, ach,spf,exm

Yeah, sold 1/2 my auy friday. Will hold out for a little more on the rest this week.

agreed, gold looks a bit overdone

eta

I think i'm going to add YGE to the stable tomorrow. we'll see how the market wakes up.
I try to get out of just about everything a tad before everyone else does. I miss out on a little upside, but I'm good with it right now.

Same here, I will take 1/2 off in ob areas, and then sell the balance on confirmed sell signals.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Sold my GG calls as it has started pulling back.  EMC looks weak in a weak market. The fizzled market rally on low volume shows little buying interest, so that means the trading action is going to head down to test the November lows. Buying EMC puts tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#16]
bot
UYG, YGE, added to ICO, JRCC, TBSI. shipper and coals working. not sure what the news was but financials ah are bouncing - looks like tomorrow could be a very green day

kick myself in the ass for missing btu
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#17]
added to uyg

stopped out of remaining gold positions

note to self, need to put financials back on the radar they're patterning better

from their intraday charts, I'd swear that UYG and QQQQ were tied at the hip

bot ago
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Wed Jan 28 14:19:30 2009 Sell 100 POT Executed @ $80

I'll buy SDS or POT again in the mid 60's

Looks like UYG had a good day.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Got into EMC a few hoursafter it gapped up, 3 Feb 12 puts and 1 11 Feb call to hedge.  I expected it to fill the gap, but that didn't happen.

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#21]
stopped out of all longs. yuk

bot some faz
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#23]

I'm about to drop 1.5k

any quick tips?

I think I'm going the Ameritrade route.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Still got my puts on EMC, they've just cleared the vig. it's all profit from here if EMC falls.

The next few weeks are going to be pretty grim.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Still got my puts on EMC, they've just cleared the vig. it's all profit from here if EMC falls.

What is your option put strike price?

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm about to drop 1.5k

any quick tips?

Thanks

Ameritrade is good. That's what I use.

Unless losing 1.5k is reasonable to you I suggest you don't buy individual stocks. Play with fake moneys for the first few months to limit your risks. Invest in real money once you gets the hang of it.

It is all about percentage. Keep that in the back of your mind when buying and selling.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm about to drop 1.5k

any quick tips?

Thanks

Ameritrade is good. That's what I use.

Unless losing 1.5k is reasonable to you I suggest you don't buy individual stocks. Play with fake moneys for the first few months to limit your risks. Invest in real money once you gets the hang of it.

It is all about percentage. Keep that in the back of your mind when buying and selling.

You can practice trading fake money at this site https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/displayPage.tos?webpage=paperMoney

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your option put strike price?

12.  The bid/ask spread has been cleared, the buy/sell transaction costs have been cleared.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

why, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#30]
nasty looking head and shoulders setup on the qqqq's
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Take a look at the last few days of the following stocks:

UPS
PG
IP
CAT
WMT

Really big basic stocks, and stocks that export like CAT and IP are getting hit hard.  People don't see value in current prices so the next step is to check if the most recent bottoms are the lows.  Do you see anything that looks good about the overall market?
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Take a look at the last few days of the following stocks:

UPS
PG
IP
CAT
WMT

Really big basic stocks, and stocks that export like CAT and IP are getting hit hard.  People don't see value in current prices so the next step is to check if the most recent bottoms are the lows.  Do you see anything that looks good about the overall market?

nope, I'm net short now, looks like they want to test nov lows..  

They'll come out with news to try and protect those levels. probably something along the lines of bad bank repository and or stimulas package. so far, the Change and Hope rally has been very unimpressive.

Link Posted: 2/2/2009 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#33]
covered drys short, added to faz
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#35]

my new brokerage account should be funded tomorrow

dang, wish I could have jumped on the GM wagon earlier this a.m.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Got in a few hundred of Ford.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh God it's like taking candy from a baby.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#38]
stopped out of my EMC puts.  That stock seems to have a lot of support
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#39]

one of the lingering questions in my mind to you guys who are practically "day trading" - now that everything is so instant, often, and online - when you buy and sell shares how are the contracts now handled as far as prospectuses, dividends, tax statements, etc?  I mean, let's say that you buy some of GE, hold on to it for a week, there is a dividend, and you sell the next day.  Is there like any, no dividends for owners with less than a month history or something like that, how is all of this reflected in your year end tax statements?  That will come from your broker, rather than all of the individual companies that you have traded?
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow, take a look at Alaska Airlines on both the weekly and daily, symbol ALK.  That's an incredibly strong stock not just for an airline, but for any stock in this market.  Southwest (LUV) was a favorite in spring 2008 because of their hedges on fuel, but since the price of oil has collapsed, their hedges have become a net liability.  As oil prices fell, people began buying the hell out of ALK.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I sold POT yesterday and have buys for it at $70.  It ran up very fast and the options for June are unusual.  I don't know what to make of it.  I don't trade options, but something is going on there.

If the market runs up Monday, I'll pick up some SDS as a hedge.

I'm also interested in UYG on a pullback and adding more TIE.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I sold POT yesterday and have buys for it at $70.  It ran up very fast and the options for June are unusual.  I don't know what to make of it.  I don't trade options, but something is going on there.

If the market runs up Monday, I'll pick up some SDS as a hedge.

I'm also interested in UYG on a pullback and adding more TIE.

I'm pretty heavy in TIE in my IRA and have a small holding in my play account. I like the stock and have been in it for years. I must admit that the price is attractive.
Any particular reason your looking at adding more at this time?
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I sold POT yesterday

Please keep your illegal activities to yourself

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm pretty heavy in TIE in my IRA and have a small holding in my play account. I like the stock and have been in it for years. I must admit that the price is attractive.

It's still probably a little early, but commodities have probably bottomed and I've only bought 400 shares of TIE, 1/3 of what I plan to buy.  Metals should be on a tear due to China's infrastructure plans, plus manufacturing inventories are depleted, so that should translate to increased demand.  Aerospace continues to flourish, which is an overall positive for TIE.  The yield is nice why I wait.

Raven, what do you think of POT June options?
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/op?s=POT

POT has run 18 points in four days and I dumped even my core position Friday. I hope I didn't miss an even bigger run up. I don't trade options and I don't know what to make of this, other than I sense a pump and dump, which is why I sold.  It's moved way to fast in a market like this.

I also believe Obama's stimulus package/vote on Monday will be a bust and the market will tank,  It's a sucker rally as the underlying problems aren't fixed, so when something I own runs up, I sell.

Now I can go write a check for my FJ Criuiser.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#47]
FAS and FAZ are 3x finacial etfs that are liquid enough to get in and out of easily.
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
FAS and FAZ are 3x finacial etfs that are liquid enough to get in and out of easily.

Those look interesting.  

I'm more inclined to buy ETFs vs individual stocks these days.

Link Posted: 2/8/2009 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still probably a little early, but commodities have probably bottomed and I've only bought 400 shares of TIE, 1/3 of what I plan to buy.  Metals should be on a tear due to China's infrastructure plans, plus manufacturing inventories are depleted, so that should translate to increased demand.  Aerospace continues to flourish, which is an overall positive for TIE.  The yield is nice why I wait.

Raven, what do you think of POT June options?
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/op?s=POT

POT has run 18 points in four days and I dumped even my core position Friday. I hope I didn't miss an even bigger run up. I don't trade options and I don't know what to make of this, other than I sense a pump and dump, which is why I sold.  It's moved way to fast in a market like this.

I also believe Obama's stimulus package/vote on Monday will be a bust and the market will tank,  It's a sucker rally as the underlying problems aren't fixed, so when something I own runs up, I sell.

Now I can go write a check for my FJ Criuiser.

Looks like POT, AGU, and MOS have topped out for now(short term).  I will be buying puts in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top