Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's only a wheelbarrow load.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

250 pounds?  Dude, how many chickens do you have?  Or rather, how long has it been since you cleaned out the coop?  

Must be a big wheelbarrow.

I have 11 hens, and I'd be lucky if they produce 50 pounds in a month.  I don't have any problems composting mine.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How many cubic feet is one ton of chicken poop?  Or how do you measure a ton of chicken poop?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next time don't let it rain on the litter. Its valuable to gardeners.  I own a poultry layer farm and just sold 200 tons of litter for fertilizer for $25 a ton. I also kept 60 tons to spread on my fields.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j461/0351semperfi/100_2382_zps6ae23778.jpg

how many barns you have?

We got one 650' barn. Fortunately with layer barns you don't smell the stink like you do with broiler barns.

How many cubic feet is one ton of chicken poop?  Or how do you measure a ton of chicken poop?

Not sure how many cubic feet it is. The weight very's some depending on how wet the litter is. The easiest way to weigh it, is to load a semi truck and scale it. Usually runs 20 to 24 tons a semi truck load.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
So what's the typical N-P-K analysis on a ton of chicken manure?

Any restrictions on applying it to produce or fruit crops intended for human consumption?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Any restrictions on applying it to produce or fruit crops intended for human consumption?
View Quote

Composting it first for 30-60 days should get rid of the pathogens, and you could put raw manure on the plants as long as the edible portion doesn't touch the manure.

Not sure how the plant will take it all that manure, although the apple tree which sits in the middle of our chicken yard is on track to produce a record crop this year.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure of the sample results this year but they were apparently so good the county extension agent bought 80 tons of it for his hay fields.I could dig up last years sample results if you real want an idea.
You can do a soil test that will tell you how much to spread per acre. I think usually somewhere between 1.5 and 2 tons per acre.

You can use it in gardening soil but you need to be careful how hot it is or you'll burn up your plants.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Composting it first for 30-60 days should get rid of the pathogens, and you could put raw manure on the plants as long as the edible portion doesn't touch the manure.

Not sure how the plant will take it all that manure, although the apple tree which sits in the middle of our chicken yard is on track to produce a record crop this year.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. For some reason I was under the impression that there was some USDA regulation, or an impending regulation, that prohibited the use of manure on any sort of food crop. I could easily be wrong. Its hard to keep up with everything.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW  Washington, DC 20500
View Quote

Came here to say this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it's around 3-1-2 for typical laying hens depending on the feed ration.

As others have said, it's great for gardens and trees.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure of the sample results this year but they were apparently so good the county extension agent bought 80 tons of it for his hay fields.I could dig up last years sample results if you real want an idea.
You can do a soil test that will tell you how much to spread per acre. I think usually somewhere between 1.5 and 2 tons per acre.

You can use it in gardening soil but you need to be careful how hot it is or you'll burn up your plants.
View Quote

I found an articel online that showed a sample analysis and then a range of typical values for each nutrient.

From the looks of things I could use 20 tons or so, but I'd still need to add some K. Anyway, I was just curious....I know there are some houses a few miles east of our farm, no idea if they sell litter.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have 11 hens, and I'd be lucky if they produce 50 pounds in a month.  I don't have any problems composting mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
250 pounds?  Dude, how many chickens do you have?  Or rather, how long has it been since you cleaned out the coop?  

Full wheelbarrow of manure + hard rain = full wheelbarrow of chickenshit soup = HEAVY
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top