Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there's really only one thing that has an absolutely static supply......land

Static supply does not automatically equal good investment. Ask property owners in failed states, or say California.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Static supply does not automatically equal good investment. Ask property owners in failed states, or say California.

It will go back up.

people  still want to live there
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My checking account
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
silver and gold for me...   until the bubble then im transfering it into real estate...  if you have money saved hold out a little bit longer..  i belive we will have another crash and gold and silver will pull back with the market..  BUY then because after this one you wont see them that cheap again.   make sure you buy physical.

when the DOW to GOL ratio is 1:1  i am selling!  if you dont think it can happen pull up the graphs.. just go to google images and search..    

once you sell buy your land and other stuff..  id also suggest the s&p 500  at that time because those are the companies that will be rebuilding society.

later
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In failed states you need a personal army to have power, gold coins won't suffice.

If you think there's going to be a failed state then you need to become a military leader.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going with ammo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ford 8N

Which you can actually improve with the help of a man named Dennis Carpenter.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Yourself. Get in shape, get some skills....
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ford 8N

You can have mine. Whoever designed Ford 8N must be dug up and hanged for stupidity.

If he doesn't want it I can drive by later and pick it up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#10]
What about education?  Having a diverse skill set keeps the water running and isn't something that can be taken away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

do you have a formula for an "automatic good investment" that you're not sharing with the world?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#12]
i bought 2 crates of chinese steel core 762*29 for 80 bux a pop
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I would say your own skills. There is no such thing as everyone would be investing in it. Investing in land is highly probable because in 10-20 years that land could go down hill.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In failed states you need a personal army to have power, gold coins won't suffice.

If you think there's going to be a failed state then you need to become a military leader.

I'm saying the value of property is determined by it's desirability, which is subject to all kinda of forces having nothing to do with simply, "there is a fixed supply."

Real estate is not a good inflation hedge in this case, there is plenty of supply. What we don't have is the capacity to produce things that we can trade for the fuel we need or the consumer goods we use to maintain out current lifestyle. So I'm saying the best way to store wealth is in tangible goods that are liquid.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

To hedge against inflation I would have to say gold and silver (as a medium of liquid exchange).  Buy face to face in small quantities over time.  Of course the "value" changes over time and if you're comparing it to the dollar then you could loose some.  However, if the economy does take a dump or the .gov devalues or replaces our currency then gold and silver will STILL have value.  And unlike land gold and silver are portable.

You can lose value with gold and silver period - not just 'compared to the dollar'.

If you buy during a bubble period, you WILL lose value, because when the bubble pops, people will not be willing to give 'as much' other stuff (weather it be dollars, or any other good) for your metal.

There was no corresponding deflation of 'other prices' in the 80s, to match the fall of gold, for example.

The notion that 'the value of gold does not change' is a fairy-tail for fools.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

By the way, the inflation/deflation debate is framed poorly. You can simultaneously have the price of certain "assets" (like say a strip mall or a credit default swap) plunge, while the price of certain commodities or manufactured goods go sky high.

However, when the problem is the contraction of the overall money supply, you will not see the above.

If there are less dollars vs the same demand for dollars, (because the money supply is shrinking, because lenders are not lending fast enough) then you will see generalized deflation.

There is absolutely NOTHING happening in the market now that makes your scenario likely.

Especially with the 3rd-world's labor market 'anchoring' manufactured goods prices.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

do you have a formula for an "automatic good investment" that you're not sharing with the world?

Ha, no, unfortunitly not. That said, I'd say given our present circumstances, you really can't go wrong with food, a water supply, ammo, silver, and booze. You never hear people in uncertain times complain about having too much if these things.

This blog (http://ferfal.blogspot.com/) tells the tail of someone who is experiencing the currency crisis scenario, and he has some great incite in to what you're going to want around.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#19]

There is no magic item.

The best thing to invest in changes as conditions change.

The saftest thing to invest in changes as conditions change.
The above two items are usually not the same thing either.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#20]
M1 Garands.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I would say your own skills. There is no such thing as everyone would be investing in it. Investing in land is highly probable because in 10-20 years that land could go down hill.

Even that requires a prediction of future supply and demand.  Invest in the wrong skill and you have wasted your money just as surely as if you invested in Pagenet (pager company) in 1996.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By the way, the inflation/deflation debate is framed poorly. You can simultaneously have the price of certain "assets" (like say a strip mall or a credit default swap) plunge, while the price of certain commodities or manufactured goods go sky high.

However, when the problem is the contraction of the overall money supply, you will not see the above.

If there are less dollars vs the same demand for dollars, (because the money supply is shrinking, because lenders are not lending fast enough) then you will see generalized deflation.

There is absolutely NOTHING happening in the market now that makes your scenario likely.

Especially with the 3rd-world's labor market 'anchoring' manufactured goods prices.

My concern is the 3rd world labor might decide they don't want to trade their goods for promises, and demand goods in return. Plus it is harder and harder to get to get the raw materials and energy required to sustain the current system, and this is to say nothing about the political risks we all face.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I was talking politics with some of the guys at the fire house last night, and one of the m starts talking about how the .gov is preparing themselves to be able to seize everyone's gold when the dollar takes a shit.  It got me to thinking, since I finally have money in the bank for the first time since I bought a house 4 years ago.  What good is that money gonna do me when a loaf of bread goes up to $500??  Anyway, we were all trying to figure out whether it's better to have money in the bank, or buy something with some intrinsic value instead.  What say you?

drugs, everyone needs their cocaine and heroin!

Seriously, I have no idea

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

While I tend to agree, doesn't "Eminent Domain" somewhat negate that?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Tin foil

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Basic skills.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I tend to agree, doesn't "Eminent Domain" somewhat negate that?

name something that has actual economic value that *can't* be confiscated.....

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will go back up.

people  still want to live there

Breath not being held. But even if it does "go back up" what does one do in the interim decades, when you might need the money?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Skills....
not this kind...

this kind...

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Heroin and cocaine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Dave-A trusts the Federal Reserve....

good luck with that

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the most inflation-proof thing to invest in?

Having no debt would be a good start

Quite the opposite.  Think of it this way.  Say you have a loan on your house for 5%.  If inflation hits hard (20%) then the difference is 15%.  So your liability in relative costs are going down by the delta between your loan rate and the inflation rate.  

A poor example, but all i can think of right now, would be this:

You take out a loan in the country of Zambobwee for 100,000 in local currency in 2005 with a 10% interest rate for 30 years.  You could have paid that entire loan off with one 100,000 bill less than 5 years later because of the effects of inflation.

As long as you can make the payments a loan is a reasonable inflation shelter because the lending party is taking the inflation hit, not you.

So you're willing to gamble on that?

If you're that good at telling the future, I'm sure you sold your house in the height of the housing bubble, invested the equity you got out of the same and rented for two years, and can now buy 2 of the same houses with cash.  You did that, right?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#34]
land.
In another country.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nailed it

True. But that shit costs you money every year until you sell it. Most of the time anyway.

Buy good quality farm land and rent it out.  It's expensive to buy but even in bad times the price of good farm land holds it value, farm land now is at near record highs.

Rental rates are high and taxes are usually low.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ammo , maybe silver ...

Circulated silver halves, quarters, and dimes (90%)

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#37]
For everyone that says land I do agree
But unless it has running water on it, it is worthless when SHTF.

Now another note I do think SHTF will happen, and I know a guy that puts a lot of his extra money into clothes.
he thinks cloths will be a great barter tool, he goes to Goodwill when ever they have $4 for a paper bag full of clothes
he has bags and bags in a pole barn.

Just shows no one really knows what SHTF will bring
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Like someone else said, and it really bears repeating- DEBT!

Investing in debt is the most profitable of all investments if you anticipate high inflation.

Borrow as much money as possible, and buy any commodities that track inflation reasonably well, for example land, rare items, precious metals or gems, etc.

When extreme inflation hits, the cash price you can get for your commodities will skyrocket, but the ammount you owe in debt will remain the same.

For example, if you take out 400 thousand dollars in debt, from any source you can get money, and spend it all on gold coins or land or valuable items, then when the inflation hits, and the cash price of all that stuff jumps to 800,000 or 1,600,000 dollars, you can sell a small portion of the commodity and pay off the debt, and be debt free while owning 50-75% of the commodities free and clear.

Like anything else, it's a gamble though. Not much of one however, since even if the mega inflation does not hit, you can still sell the commodities and pay off the debt, and be back at square one.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Prostitutes. Real good looking ones that are barely legal

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top