Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

it's not burnt to a crisp, it could become a zombie snake..

best fix that right away!

ETA:  need an AAR.. what round(s) did you use, range, etc..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pit Viper = your death or his

Not correct.

You know a lot about snakes. Hobby or career?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
What's with all the snake hate and phobia?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I went out into the garage and firgured it to be harmless.  Posted some pics and found out what it really was......phobia and hate started at that moment.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are no endangered snakes in Florida, there are no threatened snake species in Florida.....there is NO shortage of snakes in Florida.

If you see one just kill the fucker. There are ten more waiting to take his place.

Not correct.

No?

Unless you're talking about that one damn water snake there are no threatened or endangered snakes in Florida, and certainly not any venomous ones.

Eastern indigo snake, short-tailed snake, and Atlantic salt-marsh snake just off the top of my head.  I'd also be surprised if rainbow snakes weren't protected.  Eastern diamondbacks will likely make the list eventually.

Hey ya know you were right....these are the endangered or threatened species of snake in Florida....

key ringneck snake
Eastern indigo snake
red rat snake
Atlantic salt marsh water snake
Florida pine snake
short-tailed snake
Florida brown snake
rim rock crowned snake
Florida ribbon snake

And I still say kill at will. Fuck a snake.

Man, that key ringneck is pretty sharp looking.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not correct.

You know a lot about snakes. Hobby or career?

Almost career turned to a hobby.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
LOOKS LIKE A RED RAT SNAKE!

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are no endangered snakes in Florida, there are no threatened snake species in Florida.....there is NO shortage of snakes in Florida.

If you see one just kill the fucker. There are ten more waiting to take his place.

Not correct.

No?

Unless you're talking about that one damn water snake there are no threatened or endangered snakes in Florida, and certainly not any venomous ones.

Eastern indigo snake, short-tailed snake, and Atlantic salt-marsh snake just off the top of my head.  I'd also be surprised if rainbow snakes weren't protected.  Eastern diamondbacks will likely make the list eventually.

Good. They can all die.

IBTPTSSAIFTE (in before the people that say snakes are important for the ecosystem)

I am sure you are about to present us all the biology papers and journal articles that demonstrate that they aren't.

Never said they weren't. I just said I was in before someone says they are. I don't care either way. I live in FL and deal with them all the time. There was a time at our last residence that I couldn't let my dog out the back door without a snake, a lot of folks thought they were water moccasins- sitting on the concrete next to the door. I really didn't know or care what they were, I killed as many of them as I could. I haven't seen many since moving, but given the chance I will kill everyone I see. I have two kids and two dogs that are a little more important to me than what a few snakes will or won't do for the environment. I mean I have found youth snakes squirming through the weather stripping on my sliding glass door. That and spiders. Lots of spiders.

Now, if I were to come across a snake away from my home and it was not a threat, I would it go.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
LOOKS LIKE A RED RAT SNAKE!

www.stewart.army.mil/dpw/wildlife/corn1%20copy.jpg

NO IT DOESN'T, BUT YOUR PICTURE LOOKS LIKE A LIVE CORN SNAKE!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the gun was a standard 870 express 7 shot with a synthetic Remington LE style forend and a Speedfeed solid synthetic stock.  It is nothing fancy and they are a dime a dozen.  The ammo was cheap Winchester super speed Xtra size 7 1/2.  One shot from about 8 feet and an impact area of about 8 inches.   Small chunk of meat 4 feet from ground zero.  Tail section was intact.  Head area confirmed smashed into the 8 inch crater after a search and prod with a shovel.

Mothballs will prevent a reoccurance right?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
put the body on a stick, warning the other snakes of their impending doom!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Good shoot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Fuck.  

On a side note, after I had shot the snake the next door neighbor came over and showed me the claw marks on his front privacy fence where a black bear stood up against it and looked over.  It actually broke one of the boards and left hair and scratches.  

I had wondered why my wheeled garbage can had been turned over Saturday morning AFTER the garbage men emptied it.  He was looking for food and came too late.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]
If you only kill snakes that invade your home or shop or whatever, I don't think your hurting the envirnment at all. If you kill all the snakes you see in the wilderness you are.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Fuck.  

On a side note, after I had shot the snake the next door neighbor came over and showed me the claw marks on his front privacy fence where a black bear stood up against it and looked over.  It actually broke one of the boards and left hair and scratches.  

I had wondered why my wheeled garbage can had been turned over Saturday morning AFTER the garbage men emptied it.  He was looking for food and came too late.

Yeah, there really isn't anything that will repel them from a given area besides a total lack of food or habitat.  You live near enough to a canal, creek, river, lake, pond etc., and are bound to see more.

Moth balls, horse hair, etc. are just old wives tales that don't work.  The snake repellent they sell some places like Wal-Mart doesn't work either.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Moth balls, horse hair, etc. are just old wives tales that don't work.  The snake repellent they sell some places like Wal-Mart doesn't work either.

Size 7 1/2 shot it will be then!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If the head is viewed from above, the eyes of cottonmouths cannot be seen while the eyes of watersnakes are visible; cottonmouths have elliptical pupils and watersnakes have round pupils; and cottonmouths have a facial pit between the nostril and the eye, while watersnakes have none.

Like I'm going to get close enough to a snake that looks like a Water Moccasin to distinguish those sort of differences.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yeah from what I have heard FL is great for snakes. In fact people pet pythons are getting out and establishing breeding colonies, and eating everything they can in the meantime.

I read in the Everglades there are actually Pythons eating Alligators.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you only kill snakes that invade your home or shop or whatever, I don't think your hurting the envirnment at all. If you kill all the snakes you see in the wilderness you are.

Not necessarily.  Though few studies have been conducted regarding this manner it has been clear that certain populations or species of snakes can absolutely sustain take.  Take the Sweetwater TX rattlesnake roundup- it's been going on for decades.  Collection has largely been restricted to the area around Sweetwater.  Take has dropped over the years, but not really dramatically.

Another example is Whitewater road in CA.  People have been hitting it very hard for over 40 years in an effort to collect rosy boas.  People are still doing this more than ever and they continue to find plenty of rosy boas.

There are obviously some populations or species that cannot sustain much take, but they are almost certainly the minority.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What's with all the snake hate and phobia?  

A lot of people don't want to get bit by venomous snakes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Snakes are bad, ever read the Bible?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a little pond in the front yard. I kill five or six Cottonmouths a year. They are MEAN bastards. I don't hate or even fear snakes, but Cottonmouths DIE!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Dogs are more dangerous.  Shoot ALL dogs on sight, even the puffy little ones!  No sense taking a chance.

Common names: cottonmouth, water moccasin, black moccasin, black snake,[2] more.
Agkistrodon piscivorus is a venomous pitviper species found in the eastern United States. A large snake capable of delivering a painful and potentially fatal bite, but with an undeserved reputation for aggression, this is the world's only semiaquatic viper, usually being found in or near water. Many of the common names refer to the fact that, when threatened, this species will often stand its ground and gape at an intruder, exposing the white lining of its mouth.

Venom
Bites from this species are relatively frequent in the lower Mississippi River Valley and along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, although fatalities are rare.[10] Allen and Swindell (1948) compiled a record of A. piscivorus bites in the state of Florida from newspaper accounts and data from the Bureau of Vital Statistics: 1934, 8 bites and 3 fatalities (no further fatalities were recorded after this year); 1935, 10; 1936, 16; 1937, 7; 1938, 6; 1939, 5; 1940, 3; 1941, 6; 1942, 3; 1943, 1; 1944, 3. Wright and Wright (1957) report having encountered these snakes on countless occasions, often almost stepping on them, but never being bitten. In addition, they heard of no reports of any bites among 400 cypress cutters in the Okefenokee Swamp during the entire summer of 1921. These accounts indicate that the species is not particularly aggressive.[2]

Brown (1973) gives an average venom yield (dried) of 125 mg, with a range of 80-237 mg, along with LD50 values of 4.0, 2.2, 2.7, 3.5, 2.0 mg/kg IV, 4.8, 5.1, 4.0, 5.5, 3.8, 6.8 mg/kg IP and 25.8 mg/kg SC for toxicity.[16] Wolff and Githens (1939) describe a 152 cm (60 inches) specimen that yielded 3.5 ml of venom during the first extraction and 4.0 ml five weeks later (1.094 grams of dried venom).[2]

Symptoms commonly include ecchymosis and swelling. The pain is generally more severe than bites from the copperhead (A. contortrix), but less so than those from rattlesnakes (Crotalus sp.). The formation of vesicles and bullae is less common than with rattlesnake bites, although necrosis can occur. Myokymia is sometimes reported.[17] On the other hand, the U.S. Navy (1991) states that the venom has strong proteolytic activity that can lead to severe tissue destruction.[10]

CroFab polyvalent antivenin is used to treat bites from this species.[18]. While this venom is, as mentioned, rarely fatal, all venomous snakebites should be treated as medical emergencies and immediate medical attention should be sought.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread makes me want to kill a snake.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#26]
interesting thread W/ Karma!

after my posts (above) I went for my routine bike ride which takes me through city open space and a state park.   I've seen  Western Rattlesnakes on this bike path before, and I saw another one today!!!

he was stretched about 1/3 of the way across the path but I didn't see him until I was way too close to stop (or if I did, it would have been right next to him).

sorry, no guns, knives or fire!

looked kinda like this:

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
interesting thread W/ Karma!

after my posts (above) I went for my routine bike ride which takes me through city open space and a state park.   I've seen  Western Rattlesnakes on this bike path before, and I saw another one today!!!

he was stretched about 1/3 of the way across the path but I didn't see him until I was way too close to stop (or if I did, it would have been right next to him).

sorry, no guns, knives or fire!

looked kinda like this:

www.desertusa.com/food_chain_k12/images/no3westernrattler.jpg

The snake nerds split that group up a few years ago- as such there no "western rattlesnakes" anymore.  That would be a prairie rattlesnake.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:31:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
put the body on a stick, warning the other snakes of their impending doom!

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah from what I have heard FL is great for snakes. In fact people pet pythons are getting out and establishing breeding colonies, and eating everything they can in the meantime.

Interesting.  Anymore infomartion or a source on this?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:05:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Story from National Geographic.

Story on dead Python found with half eaten Alligator in stomach.

Burmese pythons are popular—and legal—pet snakes. In the past five years, the U.S. has imported more than 144,000 Burmese pythons. Hatchlings sell for as little as U.S. $20. But once the cute little baby snakes turn into 15-foot-long (5-meter-long) beasts, some owners may decide to get rid of their pets by dumping them in the forest.

"All of the Burmese pythons that we see in the park are a product of the international pet trade," said Skip Snow, a wildlife biologist at Everglades National Park.

Snow's office voice mail also doubles as a python sightings hot line. Since the mid-1990s park rangers have captured or killed 68 Burmese pythons in Everglades National Park.

The pythons are now most certainly breeding in the park. They have been found eating gray squirrels, possums, black rats, and house wrens. Perhaps even more worrying, the pythons may be preying on native mangrove fox squirrels and wood storks. And they could be competing with the eastern indigo snake for both prey and space. The eastern indigo snake is listed as threatened by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Its poisonous, might be a good idea to move or kill it if you have pets or children..
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Probably a common brown watersnake, can't see the head too clearly in that picture; although it might be a juvinile water mocassin
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Kill it......all snakes are bad.

Looked like a copperhead to me....guess I was wrong
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Coperheaded Water Rattler
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:16:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Burmese pythons are popular—and legal—pet snakes. In the past five years, the U.S. has imported more than 144,000 Burmese pythons. Hatchlings sell for as little as U.S. $20. But once the cute little baby snakes turn into 15-foot-long (5-meter-long) beasts, some owners may decide to get rid of their pets by dumping them in the forest.

"All of the Burmese pythons that we see in the park are a product of the international pet trade," said Skip Snow, a wildlife biologist at Everglades National Park.

Snow's office voice mail also doubles as a python sightings hot line. Since the mid-1990s park rangers have captured or killed 68 Burmese pythons in Everglades National Park.

The pythons are now most certainly breeding in the park. They have been found eating gray squirrels, possums, black rats, and house wrens. Perhaps even more worrying, the pythons may be preying on native mangrove fox squirrels and wood storks. And they could be competing with the eastern indigo snake for both prey and space. The eastern indigo snake is listed as threatened by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

lol. Other than a few crazy stories I doubt there are massive snakes roaming the Glades. South Florida is so crowded now that the remote locations of the glades no longer exist. You can take off in a skiff in any direction and never get away from people.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol. Other than a few crazy stories I doubt there are massive snakes roaming the Glades. South Florida is so crowded now that the remote locations of the glades no longer exist. You can take off in a skiff in any direction and never get away from people.

I don't know, it seems rational to me.  If the habitat can support Alligators it can support large Constrictors.  They may not get as big as they do in their native habitat but they're both aquatic reptiles that occupy the same position in the food chain.

Whenever I'm in Fla I'm always surprised at how common Alligators are.  It seems like there's one in every drainage ditch.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#37]

This.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Some of you guys kill me. "Kill all snakes with fire"  

My 4 year old found this. OMGWTFBBQ! Daddy, my friend won't let me play with my wagon!!

No I didn't kill it, I caught it and moved it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice, eastern indigo.

About the pythons in ENP, they are there and established, there are a buttload of them.  Biologists have been tagging and studying.  It isn't just crazy stories.  People have been finding them outside of the ENP as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Nice, eastern indigo.

About the pythons in ENP, they are there and established, there are a buttload of them.  Biologists have been tagging and studying.  It isn't just crazy stories.  People have been finding them outside of the ENP as well.

Look up Tegu. It is a monitor that has been spreading through Florida. I live in Polk County and they are now finding them here. I will try to find the pic they took of the last one they found. 4 feet long I think.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice, eastern indigo.

Look up Tegu. It is a monitor that has been spreading through Florida. I live in Polk County and they are now finding them here. I will try to find the pic they took of the last one they found. 4 feet long I think.

No need to look it up, they've been popular pets for years.  They are all over the SE.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Some of you guys kill me. "Kill all snakes with fire"  

My 4 year old found this. OMGWTFBBQ! Daddy, my friend won't let me play with my wagon!!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/pen/Cnv0002.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/pen/Cnv0001.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/pen/Cnv0004.jpg

No I didn't kill it, I caught it and moved it.

I would call that a Blacksnake. They don't moan however. I would get in deep shit if I killed one as a kid but if I brought my dad a dead Copperhead in a bucket he would say good job. Told me Cottonmouths deserve the same but steer clear of them without a rifle. Anything that chases a 175lb being, should be shot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
That's not a copperhead, it is a cottonmouth.

Looks like a juvenile cottonmouth, or an unusually marked Copperhead.

I did my senior reasearch credits oh so many years ago as a field assistant to a UAB herpetologist here at Oak Mountain State park. I've caught and released hundreds of the little bastards (Copperheads)

Pretty non aggressive unless you start mucking with them, and very pretty snakes.

SG
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Rattle-mouthed copper moccasin! Kill it!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

No, I don't know a damn thing about snakes... and wish I knew less!

Your post made that obvious.

Deaths from croatilid (pit viper) bites are very, very rare, and occur when the victim is very young, very old or in the majority of cases is allergic to the venom.

Not say they would be pleasant at all, just not fatal except in rare circumstances.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Me too!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#48]
That snake is definately an Albino diamond-head copperback rattle moccasin.
Whatch out....Hes pysun !
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#50]
shoulda killed it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top