Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Lee  

Ugg and Home will be the names of the first two kids!

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well, Prince Charles' full title is:

His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty

How does he get all that on his uniform name tape ?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The battle of Yorktown and New Orleans ended my interest in knowing that bit of trivia.

"In 1814 we took a little trip, along with General Jackson down the mighty Mississip ...."

Colonel Jackson, not General Jackson.

"We took a little bacon and we took a little beans..."

I can play this game...

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLjBOHskEpw
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Ooops     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLjBOHskEpw

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As I understand it, they don't have a surname. They do have a 'house' name which is the closest thing to it. And that name is Windsor, I believe.

Was from huge German royalty but changed their names during WWI when it wasn't exactly stylish to have a German name in England.

Captain Darling: "Look, I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"

Blackadder: "So your father's German, you're half-German and you married a German?"
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The British royal family is Windsor -  Queen Elizabeth is actually Elizabeth Windsor, although as the Queen of England, it's not really used.

The children of Queen Elizabeth are Mountbatten-Windsor.

Lord Mountbatten used to be  Battenberg until he too ceased being German in 1917.

Lord Mountbatten's Father  was the one that changed it. He was a big wig in the Admiralty during WW1. He changed the name to quell loyalty to England rumors and to sound more British. I believe The Mountbattens were cousins to Wilhelm of Germany as was Elizabeth or Victoria.......IIRC

Sachs-Coburg and Gotha before Windsor.  Yep, you guessed it...Eurpoean banking families.

Didn't we fight the Revolutionary War so we wouldn't have to hear from the inbred royalty all-fuckin'-day???

The media is fawning over this as much as they did Obama.  Think about that.  If it's mainline and they want you to love it, odds are it's poison.  

Actually, it was to protest and end the usurpation of the Parliament of England over the British Crown Colonies.  Our only beef with old George is that was not protecting His colonies against a foreign (English) power.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#6]
windsor.
this might explain the monumental hangovers i would get drinking canadian windsor whiskey
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]

It's Obama.

But  understandably, they try to keep that quiet.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Who fuckin cares?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Welfare
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty

What's odd (to me) is that the nametapes on William and Harry's uniform say Wales instead of Windsor.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is ridiculous.

I dont even care for those womens hyphenated last names we see over on this side of the pond.

In this case I believe the hyphen is used to designate additional claims to titles.  Not just some feminist whining.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What's odd (to me) is that the nametapes on William and Harry's uniform say Wales instead of Windsor.

Princes William and Harry of Wales. That's the best explanation there is for it - tradition I guess.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Princes William and Harry of Wales. That's the best explanation there is for it - tradition I guess.

Ah, a Brit.  Now for important questions.  Who's tapping Pippa?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I understand it, they don't have a surname. They do have a 'house' name which is the closest thing to it. And that name is Windsor, I believe.

Was from huge German royalty but changed their names during WWI when it wasn't exactly stylish to have a German name in England.

Captain Darling: "Look, I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"

Blackadder: "So your father's German, you're half-German and you married a German?"

I am glad I'm not the only one who likes that show!  Captain Edmund Blackadder is the man!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Windsor

Originally it was Saxe-Gotheburg it was changed to make it sound more Anglized

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From Wikipedia:

The Prince's style and title in full is His Royal Highness Prince Henry Charles Albert David of Wales. As a British prince, Harry holds no surname; however, as with the other male-line grandchildren of Elizabeth II, he uses the name of the area over which his father holds title, i.e. Wales. Past precedent is that such surnames are dropped from usage in adulthood, after which either title alone, or Mountbatten-Windsor is used when necessary.[55][1] Prince Harry, however, continues to use Wales as his surname for military purposes and is known as Captain Harry Wales in such contexts.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_george_berkin/2009/06/large_prince-william-prince-harry.jpg

There is just something childishly funny to me about the name "Harry Wales"
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would he be pissed if you just called him Chuck?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The British royal family is Windsor -  Queen Elizabeth is actually Elizabeth Windsor, although as the Queen of England, it's not really used.

Lord Mountbatten used to be  Battenberg until he too ceased being German in 1917.

For extra lulz our royal family is techicly almost totally German, for the rest its bread and circuses.

We were extra stupid as we had been a republic since the middle ages and suddenly became a monarchy in 1813

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, a Brit.  Now for important questions.  Who's tapping Pippa?

Alex Loudon, former member of the England Cricket Team.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#21]
It should teach ya all to not fuck with the Germans.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He apparently doesn't have a name tape most of the time (found one picture of him as a helicopter pilot in the 70's that had a name badge but it was unreadable).

At least Charles has the balls to go to the front lines in Afghanistan (even if some here will complain about him wearing a uniform he didn't earn, the rank insignia shown is that of a General (OF-9, 4 star general is US equivalent):

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I know two Sachsen - Coburg - Gothas.

Both with Univerity Degree, and now listen:

both REAL Hunters!

Not snobbish

they know how to dress Game

how to use a shotgun ( yes! )

( no second gun and the like )

they carry their onw game on Lower Game hunts

both have dogs ( one a Labrador )

nice to talk to

They organize driven hunts on their Property

IIRC their Family is around 38th or so in the English Throne List. Not that it would ever matter.

Hermann
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

windsor.

this might explain the monumental hangovers i would get drinking canadian windsor whiskey

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Did you know Prince Harry middle name is Josey ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Until 1917 it was Gotha-Saxe-Coberg, then, because of the war,  the King decreed the following:

Now,  therefore, We, out of Our Royal Will and Authority, do hereby declare and announce that as from the date of this Our Royal Proclamation Our House and Family shall be styled and known as the House and Family of Windsor, and that all the descendants in the male line of Our said Grandmother Queen Victoria who are subjects of these Realms, other than female descendants who may marry or may have married, shall bear the said Name of Windsor...[1]

This.

The British Royal Family is, oddly enough, German.  They might even trace their lineage back to the Carolingians, but I'm not certain of that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Windsor...sort of.

It has pretty much come full circle. The Anglo-Saxons (Germans) subjugated the Britons and ruled until 1066 when the fucking Faggot frenchies (but with enough viking blood to not be pussies) called Normans took over. Then through marriages etc. the Germans ended up back in. As posted the last name of Saxe-Coburg is quite inconvenient when at war with the "Huns" who are "bayonetting babies" and raping nuns. So, Windsor is more "english"?
ETA:
but to have a last name would be terribly "common".
For example....At Sandhurst the prince was known as cadet Wales, not windsor.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

His first wife muffed it rather badly in her wedding vows too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#29]
According to Nostradamus, it will be "Larry."
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Until 1917 it was Gotha-Saxe-Coberg, then, because of the war,  the King decreed the following:

Now,  therefore, We, out of Our Royal Will and Authority, do hereby declare and announce that as from the date of this Our Royal Proclamation Our House and Family shall be styled and known as the House and Family of Windsor, and that all the descendants in the male line of Our said Grandmother Queen Victoria who are subjects of these Realms, other than female descendants who may marry or may have married, shall bear the said Name of Windsor...[1]

I guess with that whole royal We/Us thing you could technically be doing two chicks at the same time.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Windsor...sort of.

It has pretty much come full circle. The Anglo-Saxons (Germans) subjugated the Britons and ruled until 1066 when the fucking Faggot frenchies (but with enough viking blood to not be pussies) called Normans took over. Then through marriages etc. the Germans ended up back in. As posted the last name of Saxe-Coburg is quite inconvenient when at war with the "Huns" who are "bayonetting babies" and raping nuns. So, Windsor is more "english"?
ETA:

True enough.  Basic outline:

William of Normandy takes over in 1066.  His 'dynasty' (for lack of a better word) lasts for the better part of a century, until it ends up with a woman, Matilda.  Since women ruling countries was sufficiently outlandish at the time, there is a nasty civil war which ends with her son (by a French noble) ruling as Henry II.  Henry, of course, married the former queen of France and Duchess of Aquitaine, giving the kings of England major territorial claims in France beyond Normandy.

Henry's dynasty, the Plantagenets, rules (with some major bumps along the road) until 1485.  The main branch of the family rules until 1399, when a scion of the Lancastrian branch of the family kicked out Richard II. There are three kings in the Lancastrian line, including Henry V, who beat up the French and then made the mistake of marrying the periodically mad king of France's mad daughter.  Unsurprisingly, their son also periodically went mad, which was the proximal cause of the War of Roses.  During that war, Edward, Duke of York (another branch of the Plantagenet family) challenged the Lancastrian king Henry VI and eventually won out.  The final act of this messy end of the Plantagenets came when Edward died and his young son was set to succeed him.  The boy was dominated by his uncle, however; he was forced from the throne by some political maneuvering, and then disappeared under mysterious circumstances.  The uncle went on to become Richard III, last of the Plantagenets, who died in battle against Henry Tudor.

Henry went on to become Henry VII, the first of the Tudors, who ruled until 1603.  Henry's daughter married the king of Scotland, and their descendant, James VI of Scotland, therefore succeeded the last Tudor, Elizabeth I, when she died without issue, starting the line of the Stuarts.  Here's where the Germans come in.  James married a daughter to one of the major players in the Holy Roman Empire, Frederick of the Rhineland-Palatinate.  This, incidentally, was the same Frederick who kicked off the Thirty Years War when he accepted the crown of Bohemia when it was offered by some Protestants who weren't fond of the Catholic Habsburgs (it didn't end well).  Their daughter, Sophia, married a German noble named Ernest, who became the Elector of Hanover.  They had a son named George.  More on him in a bit.

In the meantime the Stuarts were pissing people off in England, and Oliver Cromwell famously had the head chopped off James I's son, Charles I.  The royal family fled to France, where they stayed until Cromwell died and the country decided to have their kings back.  The time in France doomed the Stuarts, though, since the Catholicism the second son of Charles I, James II, picked up made him extremely unpopular.  He was eventually kicked out and went back to France, and his daughter, married to a Protestant Dutch prince, invited to rule.  They had no children; then another Protestant daughter of James II ruled and also had no children (ETA well, she had a bunch of children, but they all died).  With only Catholic Stuarts left in France, the English invited George, with properly Protestant credentials, to rule them.  He became the first Hanover, which family ruled until Victoria.  She married a prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and the rest you know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Was from huge German royalty but changed their names during WWI when it wasn't exactly stylish to have a German name in England Anywhere outside of germany or it's allies.

FTFY  that's when German Shepherd Dogs suddenly became "Alsatians", In the town i grew up in "Kaiser St" became "Liberty St", and the Jelly Sandwich cookied formely Known as "Kaiser Biscuts' were now "Empire Biscuits"..among other things of that nature.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Windsor...sort of.

ETA:

True enough.  Basic outline:

William of Normandy takes over in 1066.  His 'dynasty' (for lack of a better word) lasts for the better part of a century, until it ends up with a woman, Matilda.  Since women ruling countries was sufficiently outlandish at the time, there is a nasty civil war which ends with her son (by a French noble) ruling as Henry II.  Henry, of course, married the former queen of France and Duchess of Aquitaine, giving the kings of England major territorial claims in France beyond Normandy.

Henry's dynasty, the Plantagenets, rules (with some major bumps along the road) until 1485.  The main branch of the family rules until 1399, when a scion of the Lancastrian branch of the family kicked out Richard II. There are three kings in the Lancastrian line, including Henry V, who beat up the French and then made the mistake of marrying the periodically mad king of France's mad daughter.  Unsurprisingly, their son also periodically went mad, which was the proximal cause of the War of Roses.  During that war, Edward, Duke of York (another branch of the Plantagenet family) challenged the Lancastrian king Henry VI and eventually won out.  The final act of this messy end of the Plantagenets came when Edward died and his young son was set to succeed him.  The boy was dominated by his uncle, however; he was forced from the throne by some political maneuvering, and then disappeared under mysterious circumstances.  The uncle went on to become Richard III, last of the Plantagenets, who died in battle against Henry Tudor.

Henry went on to become Henry VII, the first of the Tudors, who ruled until 1603.  Henry's daughter married the king of Scotland, and their descendant, James VI of Scotland, therefore succeeded the last Tudor, Elizabeth I, when she died without issue, starting the line of the Stuarts.  Here's where the Germans come in.  James married a daughter to one of the major players in the Holy Roman Empire, Frederick of the Rhineland-Palatinate.  This, incidentally, was the same Frederick who kicked off the Thirty Years War when he accepted the crown of Bohemia when it was offered by some Protestants who weren't fond of the Catholic Habsburgs (it didn't end well).  Their daughter, Sophia, married a German noble named Ernest, who became the Elector of Hanover.  They had a son named George.  More on him in a bit.

In the meantime the Stuarts were pissing people off in England, and Oliver Cromwell famously had the head chopped off James I's son, Charles I.  The royal family fled to France, where they stayed until Cromwell died and the country decided to have their kings back.  The time in France doomed the Stuarts, though, since the Catholicism the second son of Charles I, James II, picked up made him extremely unpopular.  He was eventually kicked out and went back to France, and his daughter, married to a Protestant Dutch prince, invited to rule.  They had no children; then another Protestant daughter of James II ruled and also had no children (ETA well, she had a bunch of children, but they all died).  With only Catholic Stuarts left in France, the English invited George, with properly Protestant credentials, to rule them.  He became the first Hanover, which family ruled until Victoria.  She married a prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and the rest you know.

Wow, you even got the jacobites in there.    There is some Bavarian prince would would be King of England if you went back to the Stuarts, but they don't, by law, since the Monarch in England must be descended from Empress Sophia.

For completeness, the end of the Hanovers in England happened becuase of the laws in Germany that only males could inheret the crown.  Therefore Victoria cecame Quenn of England, and one of her uncles got all the titles in Hanover.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#35]
As a distraction......Pippa

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Outshines HRH Prince Andrew as "The Ass" of the Royal Faimily  

ETA:  stunned into poor spelling
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I believe it to be Kinkleberry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Rabinowitz.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Knobby elbows.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Inbredski

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Can anyone guess what pippa means in Swedish?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_george_berkin/2009/06/large_prince-william-prince-harry.jpg

Yes I believe it does.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The battle of Yorktown and New Orleans ended my interest in knowing that bit of trivia.

"In 1814 we took a little trip, along with General Jackson down the mighty Mississip ...."

Colonel Jackson, not General Jackson.

"We took a little bacon and we took a little beans..."

If they took beans, they must have been planning to make REAL chili.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lord Mountbatten's Father  was the one that changed it. He was a big wig in the Admiralty during WW1. He changed the name to quell loyalty to England rumors and to sound more British. I believe The Mountbattens were cousins to Wilhelm of Germany as was Elizabeth or Victoria.......IIRC

Sachs-Coburg and Gotha before Windsor.  Yep, you guessed it...Eurpoean banking families.

Didn't we fight the Revolutionary War so we wouldn't have to hear from the inbred royalty all-fuckin'-day???

The media is fawning over this as much as they did Obama.  Think about that.  If it's mainline and they want you to love it, odds are it's poison.  

Actually, it was to protest and end the usurpation of the Parliament of England over the British Crown Colonies.  Our only beef with old George is that was not protecting His colonies against a foreign (English) power.

Far from the only beef...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For extra lulz our royal family is techicly almost totally German, for the rest its bread and circuses.

We were extra stupid as we had been a republic since the middle ages and suddenly became a monarchy in 1813

1913?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Loaded?

Lord Freeloader
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's actually fairly common for nobles and royals to be known by their titles rather than their surnames/households.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I find the whole Royal family thing to be a big crock of shit.  Screw em.  Tell them to go get a damn job and get off the public dole.  Leaches on a British economy in shambles...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I find the whole Royal family thing to be a big crock of shit.  Screw em.  Tell them to go get a damn job and get off the public dole.  Leaches on a British economy in shambles...

$400,000 for a damn wedding dress.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top