Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven’t seen any carpenter ants have you?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Go get a game camera and set it up.

In the meantime, go buy Taurus-SC, a garden sprayer, respirator, eye pro and some old clothes and hose that cabin down.

Taurus SC
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought coons were difficult too until I figured out what they couldn't resist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope my fiancé has a recipe for squirrel stew

They don’t taste good.  

Trapping them is difficult since they’re smart.

I thought coons were difficult too until I figured out what they couldn't resist.

Crunch a munch?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Crunch a munch?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope my fiancé has a recipe for squirrel stew

They don’t taste good.  

Crunch a munch?

Marshamallows and tuna fish. Like one great big jet puff marsmallow and some super cheap wal mart brand tuna fish cat food. Feral cats loved it too, they also got a 22lr to the dome.

I only caught our barn cats once each then they figured out not to go in there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
See the little holes... termites.

The scratching is other animals going after them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Happened to my best friend's cabin.

Logs were numbered when disassembled and reassembled.  He knew exactly where that log came from.

They would chew on no other logs in the entire house.  Just the one from the smokehouse.
View Quote
Well, sure, if you know for certain that was the case, but I feel like it would still be a stretch to assume that for the average Joe having this issue.  

That being said, enough people here are saying it's a squirrel, so now I'm inclined to believe the collective experience here over my guess of a certain type of bee or wasp.

Get a trail cam, OP, and then hopefully you'll have an excuse to buy a new .22.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My guess is squirrels. Something had been chewing on my deer tower and I suspect squirrels. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Heres what cats do to wood.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, sure, if you know for certain that was the case, but I feel like it would still be a stretch to assume that for the average Joe having this issue.  

That being said, enough people here are saying it's a squirrel, so now I'm inclined to believe the collective experience here over my guess of a certain type of bee or wasp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Logs were numbered when disassembled and reassembled.  He knew exactly where that log came from.

They would chew on no other logs in the entire house.  Just the one from the smokehouse.

This cabin came from Montana and my parents were told it was used for Indian housing. The first .gov subsidized housing as it were.

I'll have to start sitting out on the back porch on the weekends:
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This cabin came from Montana and my parents were told it was used for Indian housing. The first .gov subsidized housing as it were.

I'll have to start sitting out on the back porch on the weekends:https://i.imgur.com/G9aRcig.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to start sitting out on the back porch on the weekends:https://i.imgur.com/G9aRcig.jpg

This is the way
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#10]
You have a new roof. Was the old roof sheeting a galvanized metal roof? Asking because have seen squirrels chew on galvanized fence and lead vent pipes. They like the taste, and are shortening their teeth at the same time. May be enough of the galvanized residue in the wood to attract them.

Lots of store bought and home made squirrel repellents available to spray on the wood. If treated with termite insecticide may have the benefit of also making the wood unappealing to tree rats.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You have a new roof. Was the old roof sheeting a galvanized metal roof? Asking because have seen squirrels chew on galvanized fence and lead vent pipes. They like the taste, and are shortening their teeth at the same time. May be enough of the galvanized residue in the wood to attract them.

Lots of store bought and home made squirrel repellents available to spray on the wood. If treated with termite insecticide may have the benefit of also making the wood unappealing to tree rats.

View Quote

Old roof? I have no idea. The original wall timber came from Montana on a flat bed and had been packaged onto big pallets. They put the tags on the ends of the boards so that we knew how to reassemble it like a giant Lincoln log cabin.

I'll definitely look into the repellent, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Marshamallows and tuna fish. Like one great big jet puff marsmallow and some super cheap wal mart brand tuna fish cat food. Feral cats loved it too, they also got a 22lr to the dome.

I only caught our barn cats once each then they figured out not to go in there.
View Quote

We used to use peanut butter and sardines mixed into a paste. Tuck it into a hole in the side of the bank by water. Place traps in the water. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Best thing to trap squirrels with? I've trapped a thousand coons with marsmallows and tuna fish but never had to trap squirrels before.
View Quote

Conibear trap with a nut as the bait.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They don’t taste good.  

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Red Squirrels are well known for chewing houses around here.  I have one that I have on camera sunning itself flat on my deck railing while it was knawing about 3 ft of the edge.  In Canada we had to kill Porcipines to keep them from chewing off our cabin posts.  They'd wake us up at night since it would vibrate the whole cabin.  We didn't want to kill them, but the bastards don't run away and they wouldn't leave.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The termites have made it all the way up to the rafters?? Wouldn't you expect to see their evidence elsewhere before they got that high up?

Dirt tunnels going up the walls or something?

Peel back the baseboard and see how they're getting up to the rafters.

They don't start at the top and work their way down.

I'm not telling you it's not termites, but I am skeptical that you haven't discovered them until now.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The termites have made it all the way up to the rafters. Wouldn't you expect to see their evidence?

Dirt tunnels going up the walls

I'm not telling you it's not termites, but I am skeptical that you haven't discovered them until now.

View Quote

This. Termites leave mud tunnels. Usually obvious and easy to find.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
beetles too
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Haven’t seen any carpenter ants have you?
View Quote

these also...saw dust droppings a clue eh?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
maybe powder post beetle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Your deer blind is being chewed on by porcupines. Live trap them with apples in a cage trap or sit and wait to kill them. They will not stop.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The termites have made it all the way up to the rafters?? Wouldn't you expect to see their evidence elsewhere before they got that high up?

Dirt tunnels going up the walls or something?

View Quote

There are no baseboards. The walls look like this. It’s completely open air. It was treated for termites a couple months ago, my mom told me that this afternoon.

ETA: It just has a big porch around it now, but those are the only walls.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Termites, carpenter ants, carpenter and/or bumble bees
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top