Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
ive been looking at one of thier winches hor a while..

they are cheap compared to the others ..

cheap enough that even if it sucks..  its still ok .

A winch can kill you. That's probably one of the only things I'd never buy from HF.

The only thing I've ever had break from HF was my auto dollies, but only because I waaaaay overloaded them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly the best impact deep well sockets in 1/2'' are the best thing I ever got from HF.
I have used those extensivly and beat the shit out of them and they outlasted some of my Snap-On impact deep well sockets.
Go figure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I am lucky to have a couple HFs (one huge) and Northern Tool here, as well as Sears, I can get most of what I need between these 3 stores, otherwise I order off the internet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
When I first strarted with the company I'm with now , we had a tight wad for a manager that bought ALL of our "specialty tools" there. We needed a handheld pipe threader to turn a engine to do an alignment, and not suprisingly he got one from HF. After he left and we were done with the alignment we left the tool running while we were at dinner trying to burn it up. We were gone over an hour and it ran the entire time turnIng the engine, it still works to this day. HF tool= $300   Rigid tool=$1000
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've bought a bunch of stuff from there. If you expect it to last it won't, if you think it is a 1 time use only tool it will last forever. One of my best purchases from there was a miter saw. I bought it to do my hardwood floors and molding. The thing kicks ass and is still going strong for 75$. Their prybars and handtools are junk, but some of the stuff has some uses.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have bought punches and clamps from thema and they have worked great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of HF power tools aren't necessarily top tier quality, but they will generally work and get the job done.  Their hand tools are pretty much identical to what you'll buy at HD, Lowes, Sears, etc. for 3-4x the price.

I have no problem buying cheap knockoff stuff from HF if it works.  If it doesn't work I take it back.  But I have a heat gun that works fantastically well that ran me $9.  I have an IR heat probe that I got for $25 which would have been 80-100 anywhere else.  Digital calipers for $5 that work just as well as my pricey manual ones - trust me, I've tested them on about 8,000 different occasions to make sure the chinese cheap ones aren't lying to me

Not all tools need to have the Snap-On label to function.

If I was a professional who relied on my tools to work every single time, I would probably buy the pricey stuff too - but it ain't the end of the world to me when a $10 power tool dies - you go pick up another one.  Hell, I've had Porter-Cable stuff fail on me that is 10x the price of the HF equivalent.  So it really is just about what you're comfortable with and how much money you like to throw down for power tools
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honestly the best impact deep well sockets in 1/2'' are the best thing I ever got from HF.
I have used those extensivly and beat the shit out of them and they outlasted some of my Snap-On impact deep well sockets.
Go figure.

Exactly, YMMV but a lot of their wrenches and sockets and such are pretty damned good quality for the low cost.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#10]
My motorcycle lift is from HF. Works just fine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing Electric.
Everything else is good for what you pay for it, I like their hammers and assorted small tools.  Their hydraulic presses and bolt cutters have finished many, many AK kits.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Junk from China.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Good for selling Chiney goods cheap....lots of pot metal and plastic
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought an angle grinder there 6-7 years ago––I use it VERY frequently, for cutting just about everything that's not wood, and it holds up well.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of the stuff is junk, the items I have found good are;
12 ton press is good
Sawsall
Dril press
$95.00 mig welder have done a bunch of weding with it and good luck so far
Prybars
Generic Dremel; it lasted quite a while
Cheap screw drivers for the family so they will leave my good ones alone
C-clamps
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Heck, half my tools come from there. From the 5 gallon compressor to the heat gun, impact wrench and well pump, no failures yet.
Those trailer kits are a deal too.  I've bought two and turned them into kayak trailers.  The only inferior product I've gotten from them were some diamond grinding bits for the Dremel.  But heck, they were only a buck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought the following there recently:

21 gallon air compressor and accessories
Some of their Earthquake brand air tools
Impact sockets
Disc brake spreader

All of it works fine so far.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Their hydraulic presses and bolt cutters and Spot Welders have finished many, many AK kits.

That's an absolute fact. And I would venture to guess that it's in the Tens of Thousands.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#19]
What have I bought from Harbor Freight?

Super glue, gorilla glue, JB weld, emery cloth, files, drywall carriers, punch set.

Probably some other stuff I can't remember.  Everything works fine, so far.  For steel punches, I don't need the expensive set from Brownells.  

I believe my father-in-law bought a drill press from them.  It works, but there is quite a pit of play in the "spinning" part.  So, if you put in a 1/4" bit, your hole might be 5/8".  He wasn't too upset, given the price he paid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#20]
The municipality I work for has started buying various items from HF for two years with no problems, and if things do break most of them have a lifetime warranty just atke them back and get a new one
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Best deal I've ever found there, among many, 50' of Goodyear 3/8" ID black rubber air hose.  Stays flexible even laying in snow, goes on sale regularly for $16.99, less if they email you a coupon.  And stamped every foot; 'MADE IN USA'.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bought an angle grinder there 6-7 years ago––I use it VERY frequently, for cutting just about everything that's not wood, and it holds up well.

One of their best power tools.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I've bought air tools and other odds and ends from them and they worked great and cost a fraction of what I'd pay at Sears or Lowes. A lot of their stuff is cheaply made, BUT they are good about fixing stuff if it breaks on you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I do believe every product in there has a sticker that says:

"MADE IN CHINA"
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#25]
The General toolbox they sell is great.
The Pittsburg brand stubby gear wrenches(made in taiwan) are still good after 2 years working on Citations.
Needle nose are good for pulling Mirrolures out of snook and reds.
Hammers work even though they aren't $95 snapons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a 2 cycle tiller over 10 years ago for the home garden.  I've used the hell out of it, but there were a couple of problems with it.  The clutch broke so I just welded it to the crankshaft.  I fill it up with gas and add a small amout motor oil in the tank. I use like two times a year now.  So happens I used it today to till for my water melons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I do believe every product in there has a sticker that says:

"MADE IN CHINA"

Actually no. They sell some name brand American made stuff in there as well. The aforementioned Goodyear air hose, and I go there for Milwaukee sawzall blades. Kinda nice because you can still use their 20% off coupons, so you end up saving quite a bit of money on a good product.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#29]
30 second power tools

IE: they last about 30 seconds before smoking out
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
selling junk
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had decent luck there.  It doesn't make much sense as a shade tree mechanic to buy a Snap On roll away with $20k worth of tools.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's my theory buy there and replace whatever breaks with craftsman. If you use it enough to break it replacing with craftsman means you've invested wisely. If you don't use it enough to break who cares it's cheap crap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Harbor Freight is good for anything that's made with 1950s or before technology.

More sophisticated than that? Forget it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#34]
really high freight price to AK
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's my theory buy there and replace whatever breaks with craftsman. If you use it enough to break it replacing with craftsman means you've invested wisely. If you don't use it enough to break who cares it's cheap crap.

Id rather buy 2 from Harbor freight, had too much trouble swapping out Craftsman tools that broke
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id rather buy 2 from Harbor freight, had too much trouble swapping out Craftsman tools that broke

quit picking them up on the side of the road and start buying a few and they start treating you like a customer...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Air tools which get complaints from everybody else in the shop?

use MY FUCKING DRILL!!!! we're all gonna go deaf in here!!!!

actually, on the Air drill, if you take some of that 3M brillo sanding material (doesn't come to mind ATM what it is), and stuff it in the handle(where the exhaust is), it quiets it down noticeably...still loud tho.

HF tools are great IMO, as long as you're not buying hand tools for things that require a precision tolerance (ie. Sockets, open end wrenches, etc etc.) then it's fine...i've got a couple extra sets of wrenches from there in my box as well (for "custom" fits, hard to reach areas, etc)

all their air tools are LOUD as hell, but they last forever, i've run one for years now without oiling it (just to see what happens), and it will not DIE.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I have two sets of tools.  One of them, to which I keep at home or for special projects.  The other ones, I keep in the truck are disposable and loaned to others so if they grow legs or get damaged oh well, no skin off my back.  But there are some things I will not purchase from them.  Safety related items, drill bits and saw blades.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to work in their IT department and they actually do care about their customers. If you bitch enough they will bend over backwards tro replace a part. They used to treat their employees the same way but since they have gone 24/7 they have cutback on alot of employee benefits.
Their tools are decent foe what you pay and they have blowout sales everyonce in awhile at the store locations.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

new Sears policy ,,?

i remember buying broken stuff at garage sales and swapping for new on the way home years ago,,

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought a ball joint press kit +adapter kit for just under 100 bucks.............I cannot see one bit of difference between the HF stuff and the 600 dollar kit from OTC.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Needle nose pliers, electric grinder, floor jack and wet tile saw. These are all tools that might be used twice a year, if they where daily use items, I would be buying good american stuff. My wrenchs and sockets are craftsman, which are good enough and warrantied for weekly use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#43]
disposable stuff and low/one time use items that otherwise would cost a fortune.

bolt cutters
3/4" drive socket sets

cheap tools for the truck (if my truck ever gets broken into, they're not getting the good stuff or a bulk of my $)
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Abrasives:  Flap wheels, cups, wheels, emery cloth, wire wheels, quick change discs, quick change scotch brite pads, blasting media.  Excellent value.

Rough tools:  Porta Power, H frame press, blast cabinet, hi lift jack.  Stuff so simple and over built it can't break.

1 time use tools:  I need a jack hammer.  I can rent a Bosch from downtown for $60 a day.  I'll need it at least 3 days.  I can buy one at HB on sale and with a coupon for $120.  If it lasts the whole job I'm money ahead.  

Air tools:  $19.95 brad gun did all the trim in my house and broke one striker.  Came with an extra one.  Right angle mini grinder $15.  Works great and if it wears out I can rebuild it.

I would not buy cordless tools there.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Go figure.

Snap-On Deep Impacts are fucking junk. I cannot figure out why. And I've had the same problem. The cheaper impact sockets seem to work better.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I forgot about the sockets that I bought there when we were in a bind one day. A set of 1"  drive chrome  sockets that we need to use on the hydrylic torque wrench upwards of 1,500 ft/lbs of torque and havent broken yet, not even a crack. Not saying that we trust them, we duck behind cover when we use them like that but they hold up great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#47]
We have one of their lightweight, aluminum 3 pump jacks for the racecar trailer.

Works great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go figure.

Snap-On Deep Impacts are fucking junk. I cannot figure out why. And I've had the same problem. The cheaper impact sockets seem to work better.

Really?....I have 6 sets of various lengths.....and have yet to break one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#49]
It's the cheap one-time-use-throw-it-away shop
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
disposable stuff.  everything there is disposable.

+1. I was doing a brick paver project, and it was going to cost me $35 per day to rent a wet saw from the local rental center. I sure as heck wasn't going to drop $600+ on a quality unit, so I ordered up a Harbor Freight (Chicago Electric brand, I think) for ~$200 or $250. I have used the shit out of that thing for brick pavers, tile, lending it to relatives... Probably more things that I can't remember now. It's paid for itself a dozen times, and I didn't have to put myself under time pressure for any projects I was doing. It could have died after the first project and it wouldn't have been any skin off my nose. But, it's still going strong, so...

That tile saw is one of the few good tools they have

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top