User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Longtime musician
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Music, always have been.  I'm primarily a 'lead' guitarist but also play bass, drums, piano/keys and mandolin, and many different styles.
More recently: the Constitution, esp the 2A, and fighting today's wokeism; it's destroying this country, and the west, and my son's chances for a happy life.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Home theater - specifically in the context of film.  Love cinema and quality TV series.  Built my own home theater that I thoroughly enjoy.
Small scale farming and homesteading - there is something special about successfully maintaining and using old farm equipment
Guns - most of my interest is in milsurps
History - love history, genealogy, and antiques, civil war in particular.  3x great grandfather fought in 2 different PA regiments with a spell in the PA miltia in-between
Woodworking and renovations - can do nearly all construction work plus enjoy building and refinishing furniture and restoring and repurposing old items.
Animals - the old time term animal husbandry is very fitting
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of nothing. I tell myself I love shooting and reloading, but it always feels more like work than fun.

Golf too…practice feels like work, playing is frustrating and it’s always hot.

I enjoy researching stocks and mutual funds and other investments, developing budgets and plans. Oddly enough, I got laid off from my job of 16 years in the oil world that I was never super passionate about. I’ve got a potential opportunity with a well established financial advising firm that I think would make me happier.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mostly everything.

I have a certain confluence of childhood induced factors which have crafted an ADHD personality that is either completely passionate about things, or could give a shit.

This creates an environment where I'm diving head first into new subjects while putting off the day-to-day stuff.

My specialty, which has simultaneously created amazing opportunity for me yet left me with crippling anxiety is learning new subjects.

I've gotten really well known for being able to quickly establish a comprehensive view on new things.

I just love learning and arguing. They are my two favorite things.
View Quote

@narphenal

We would either be best friends or murder each other in spectacular fashion.  Zero middle ground there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I am truly constantly learning about new things.   Most recent was aviation.   Learned to become a pilot, then built my own high performance plane.   Flew it all over the country.  Lifelong interest in and experience with guns, but then drifted from aviation heavily into guns and less time for flying.   Now selling & gunsmithing guns is #1.  I've learned SO much about guns and shooting details that I didn't previously know.   Several types of motorcycle racing before aviation.  There just isn't enough time in the day for everything, so as new interests rise, others have to fall.  Rock climbing, welding, woodwork, metalwork, machining, glassmaking, leatherworking, wood turning, forestry, canoeing & kayaking, skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, music, knife-making, high performance cars and motorcycles, pottery, photography, small scale farming, computer hardware and software, canning foods, restoring old tools, and more - all have been major interests/passions, risen and fallen as I've learned it, gotten good at it, moved on to more new interests.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Right now, paramotoring.  Just had 9 flights today.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52510930496_fc6d17f6f7_b.jpgVID_20200804_061655_00_003_2022-11-19_17-58-14_screenshot by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Then there's Astrophotography.  Space is one of my favorite things to ponder about, while I'm taking photos of it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51774785842_06a35528d5_b.jpgCygnus-Wall-Small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Then, just regular photography.  Always have a camera on me.  I really enjoy capturing, and what it takes to capture, slices of time that many never get to experience.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48812080722_21d5f7a781_b.jpgEmerald-Lake-3 by Colo CJ, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48811935826_f8bf0da798_b.jpgEmerald-Lake-4 by Colo CJ, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48811935776_a88266613f_b.jpgEmerald-Lake-5 by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Overall though, I just like learning.  If I'm not learning a new skill, I get bored very easily.  So, I basically am obsessive compulsive until I master, or at least, gain competence in the skill I am trying to learn at the time.
View Quote
very nice pictures
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn. Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My soul has been crushed by my job... which also zaps most of my free time. So, there's not much I'm passionate about anymore that I actually have the time for. I guess the only thing I can say I currently have a passion for is scale modeling... an hour or two at a time in the dead of night.
https://i.imgur.com/TmZ794y.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MOSNMTk.jpg
View Quote
@Clockwork138, are you familiar with Sheperd Paine's work?  Monogram included glossy pamphlets in their model kits when I was a kid and I always marveled at them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Drag racing.

It's always changing, and I'm always learning. Looks simple. Anything but. It's been the one constant in my life for near 50 years now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@narphenal

We would either be best friends or murder each other in spectacular fashion.  Zero middle ground there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mostly everything.

I have a certain confluence of childhood induced factors which have crafted an ADHD personality that is either completely passionate about things, or could give a shit.

This creates an environment where I'm diving head first into new subjects while putting off the day-to-day stuff.

My specialty, which has simultaneously created amazing opportunity for me yet left me with crippling anxiety is learning new subjects.

I've gotten really well known for being able to quickly establish a comprehensive view on new things.

@narphenal

@Valravn

It usually goes that way with me.

My two best friends and I frequently get into shouting matches arguing on subjects. No thin skin allowed, and you have to be able get over things quickly.

It's a constant shit fest and I love it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Valravn

My two best friends and I frequently get into shouting matches arguing on subjects. No thin skin allowed, and you have to be able get over things quickly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mostly everything.

@narphenal

@Valravn

@narphenal

Best kind of friends.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Clockwork138, are you familiar with Sheperd Paine's work?  Monogram included glossy pamphlets in their model kits when I was a kid and I always marveled at them.
View Quote

Shep Paine may or may not have convinced me and my brother to break out the soldering iron a few times to simulate battle damage on a few builds.  

I’m about to embark on a syfi diorama build that is quite expensive. Starting with the 39” Seaview Sub, lighting kit, PE kit, interior decals, etc…. Will be on an ocean floor setting with it hovering over the remains of the Disney Nautilus that sunk many years before.   (If you’re reading this and you’re on modeling forums, please keep this quiet. I want it to be a surprise since it’s a group build project).
I managed to find a 3D printed Nautilus the same scale as the Seaview.  Very shitty low detail print job, but I’m going to cover it with rust and crust anyway so it doesn’t really matter.
But I’m calling this project “Science Fusion”.  Two different science fiction stories brought together.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My soul has been crushed by my job... which also zaps most of my free time. So, there's not much I'm passionate about anymore that I actually have the time for. I guess the only thing I can say I currently have a passion for is scale modeling... an hour or two at a time in the dead of night.
https://i.imgur.com/TmZ794y.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MOSNMTk.jpg

Only from the Monogram literature from a few(P-61, B-17, B-24, F-15) of those kits I had when I was a kid. I still have the B-17 pamphlet and the P-61 kit unbuilt in the box. I was always amazed by those dioramas and never noticed they were the work of the same guy. Thanks for the link. Interesting and nostalgic stuff.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Playing guitar and music.
Shooting every week.
Working out and eating healthy.
Practicing mindfulness.
Writing my own Cards Against Humanity cards. I've written about 2500.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shep Paine may or may not have convinced me and my brother to break out the soldering iron a few times to simulate battle damage on a few builds.  
View Quote

Yeah, I tried to get my dad to let me use a grinder to create projectile damage as referenced in the B-17 pamphlet. He told me that was too dangerous and said to just heat a pin and poke holes in the model.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top