Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I never wake up a big fat mother unless I present a Senko just perfectly.
View Quote

frankly, I will go after them with a jumbo leach on a jig under a bobber.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Senko or Zoom Trickworm in only two flavors!  Junebug and Watermelon Red all day..............................

If I'm floating the river in a 12' jon then it's gonna be an H&H single leaf baby
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Bluegill live lined with a circle hook through the back.

6" Berkley power worm in camo with slider jig head

scum frog popper up in the weeds

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hula popper for the win
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been many years, but Hula-Popper.

ETA: Spinnerbaits as well.

ETA Again: Topwater is best water.

Hula popper for the win

On the farm pond I fish on they either hit a green or black scum frog or a purple worm or I go find something else to do.

About 5 years ago I found the tackle box I had as a kid. I pulled out a Hula Popper that was probably 45 years old. I hooked what was probably the biggest bass I've ever caught. It broke the line about 3 feet from the dock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Top water hula popper early in the a.m. on the California Delta
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Watermelon worms

" />
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For late July that's pretty typical (and those are four different fish).

Last year I caught 13 bass over seven pounds from July 1st through August 1st.

This year I've been on the water four times since July.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/ywx3gpi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OpPFuJx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cTmaZyy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Gowy6Cs.jpg

These are all skinny July fish.

If I'm targeting big fish, I'm pitching a 3/4 ounce jig with a thick skirt and a fat trailer (usually a Pit Boss or Missle D Bomb) around structure.  One of the above came off a lay down that I bumped four times with a spinnerbait before he hit it.

Nice. That bass is all mouth though.  Perhaps not eating well.  

For late July that's pretty typical (and those are four different fish).

Last year I caught 13 bass over seven pounds from July 1st through August 1st.

This year I've been on the water four times since July.  

Can I go fishing with you?!?!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
June bug color trick worm
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The YouTube videos of live feeder mice seem to work well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Purple worms.

I forgot the brand I use, but they kill it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

VBC, we'll have to disagree on that one!  I lived in Dallas and fished at Texoma and Lake Fork in its heyday...great time and caught many bass.  I then moved to Houston and started saltwater fishing.  There is absolutely no comparison between a big redfish or speckled trout to a bass   A 10lb bass is quite a fish and they are caught occasionally.  A 10 lb redfish is common and you'll think you're fighting a horse!  Love both but salt is better in my opinion.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't fish for little pond fish much anymore but when I was younger my go to was a jitterbug lure near sun set

The way saltwater people tear down on bass fishing just reinforces my knowledge that bass fishing is the superior sport.

VBC, we'll have to disagree on that one!  I lived in Dallas and fished at Texoma and Lake Fork in its heyday...great time and caught many bass.  I then moved to Houston and started saltwater fishing.  There is absolutely no comparison between a big redfish or speckled trout to a bass   A 10lb bass is quite a fish and they are caught occasionally.  A 10 lb redfish is common and you'll think you're fighting a horse!  Love both but salt is better in my opinion.  

An 80 pound reef donkey makes that little redfish feel like a lethargic bluegill.

Both are fun and I wouldn't give up either.  

Saltwater tackle is pretty cool, though:

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#12]
rattle traps
salt craws on a bass jig
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Shiners.....was on Okeechobee back in 1985 when I first used them with ballons as bobbers, flipping rods and 40lb stren back in the day (i thought that was heavy)lol.....caught one that winter right at 10 lbs.....my buddy brought one in that was 12lbs same day....not huge by Florida standards but for a couple of young guys from Ohio i was in awe......i saw some bigger but couldnt land any...spent two weeks over Christmas bumming it sleeping out of the back of a pickup truck just outside of Roland Martins marina drinking old milwaukee every night until we passed out then up early and back on the lake...good stuff....the following summer we chased smallmouth in Canada for two weeks during the spawn.....wtf happened now i have bills and all kinds of responsibilty lol
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Spinners and scumfrogs
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#15]
My biggest came on a Super Spook during the early fall.  Otherwise, very large worms, cranks, and swim baits
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My biggest came on a Super Spook during the early fall.  Otherwise, very large worms, cranks, and swim baits
View Quote

Walking the dog with a Zara Spook slammed into one that wrapped around a fallen cypress tree maybe 10 years ago that felt like a monster.  It took three casts of him snapping at before I hooked him.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a Senko cultist

Senko or Swim Senko.

Black and blue with blue flakes
Watermelon with red and green flakes

Black backed chrome rattle trap
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#18]
crawdads
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The biggest I've caught (which weren't that big) were with rubber worms and spinner baits.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The way saltwater people tear down on bass fishing just reinforces my knowledge that bass fishing is the superior sport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't fish for little pond fish much anymore but when I was younger my go to was a jitterbug lure near sun set

I fish both.  Lots of different species and methods over the years, all enjoyable.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#21]
My biggest bass was on a Spook. I am very good at walking the dog.  I have loads of confidence in surface baits, Rebel Pop-Rs and Rapala thins minnows(original floating) are a couple others I am good at using.  I am willing to use whatever though.

A big grub pitched or flipped when the gunk gets thick and times are tough, I like bluegill patterns. .
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Walking the dog with a Zara Spook slammed into one that wrapped around a fallen cypress tree maybe 10 years ago that felt like a monster.  It took three casts of him snapping at before I hooked him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes the misses are more exciting than the actual catches!

Too bad the big one got away.  I have had a few big ones end up throwing the hook with trebles.  I get a little excited, and forget to drop the rod tip.  Almost hooked myself a couple of times when the lures flew back at me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Square billed crank baits, in chrome, shad, or craw patterns depending on the season and weather.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
" />

berkley chigger craw!!cant go wrong with green pumpkin on a spot remover jig head!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Square billed crank baits, in chrome, shad, or craw patterns depending on the season and weather.
View Quote

They work, too:

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They work, too:

http://i.imgur.com/mrPGPt5.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work, too:

That exact KVD chartreuse has been my go to lately in green water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Big ass live shiners
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#28]
weedless kelly worm, rubber salamanders or a hot pink/blk mepps spinner.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work, too:

Mine, too.   I fish a lot of dark tannic water and the black back/chartreuse seems to produce far better than either a regular shad or bluegill color.

When it starts to cool just a bit and bass are schooled up chasing shad I really like the KVD 1.5 in natural shad.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Large baits to consistently catch big fish, you'll catch fewer fish but they will be bigger.

http://www.onthewater.com/big-swimbaits-big-bass/
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#32]
T-Rigged Strike King Watermelon River Bug.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#33]
So when you are throwing a senko and the fish nails it while it's going to the bottom can you feel it on your rod?

Tagged scribed from a novice
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#34]
196 colored Senko.... Lucky Craft Spintail 90 for top water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mine, too.   I fish a lot of dark tannic water and the black back/chartreuse seems to produce far better than either a regular shad or bluegill color.

When it starts to cool just a bit and bass are schooled up chasing shad I really like the KVD 1.5 in natural shad.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work, too:

If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Senko- wacky style and I usally like plastics in motor oil or watermelon, color
Been killing them on a Rapala Huskey jerk (suspending) this last week though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I have been using a lot of frogs this year.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work, too:

Dolphin love some pink...

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I enjoy fishing little Brookies in a beaver pond to Bluefin Tuna.  Ive never met a fish that I didn't like to catch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#40]
My favorite method is a Carolina rigged U-tail (Kudzu) fished around trees/brush. I also dearly love catching smallmouths on top with a Pop-r.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So when you are throwing a senko and the fish nails it while it's going to the bottom can you feel it on your rod?

Tagged scribed from a novice
View Quote

It depends.

If you're fishing a braided line and the Senko is falling on a slack line then no, you won't feel it.  On a slack line monofilament is more sensitive than braid (which has zero slack line sensitivity) and fluorocarbon more sensitive than mono.   There's no free lunch, though - mono abrades easily and stretches and fluoro is expensive and can be hard to work with.  

If you're fishing an old glass rod or a poor quality graphite rod, you might not feel it.  Personally, I think the whole rod thing is overblown for most recreational guys.  Once you get above about $75 you're only buying incremental improvement, and a $500 rod probably won't land you many more fish (if any).   Except for a Loomis NRX blank.  Those things are magic.  

It also depends on how the fish takes the lure.  Sometimes a bass will hit it like it owes him money, and sometimes it seems the fish just catches the lure as it falls and then sits in place with it.  I catch a bunch of bass that do this when I'm pitching around structure with a jig and the only indication I get is that the line just stops moving before the bait reaches the bottom.   Hook sets are free, so I'll usually hammer it and sometimes I wind up with a fish, most of the time it's nothing, and occasionally I break a rod.  

Most of my Senko fishing is done with a Loomis GLX rod and 10 lb fluorocarbon.  If a fish even breathes near the bait on the fall I feel it.  

I honestly don't fish a Senko that much anymore.  It works and it's a good bait, but I can generally be more productive (either in numbers or in pounds) fishing something else.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I enjoy fishing little Brookies in a beaver pond to Bluefin Tuna.  Ive never met a fish that I didn't like to catch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably my favorite fishing is with a 3 weight (or smaller if I can get away with it)  catching native brookies on a tiny mountain stream.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b561/hanker8271/hank%20fish10_zpslkfcretw.jpg</a>" />

berkley chigger craw!!cant go wrong with green pumpkin on a spot remover jig head!
View Quote

Biggest this year has been on a pumpkin chigger.

Most consistant catch is on wacky senko. 297 green.

Chigger on a bitsy flip pumpkin

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Excuse me sir,do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Jesus Christ?

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Go wacky or go home
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a Senko cultist

Go wacky or go home

Green pumpkin, black flakes, wacky rigged.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#46]
The best large mouth I ever caught was on my fly rod jerking a black woolly bugger. Man that was a fun fish.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Whatever it is, I'm usually fishing deep.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#48]

A good sized, live glue gill.  But that isn't legal most places.

I have more fun with lures, and like the rubber top wate frogs with the snag free hooks.  Forget the brand.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My favorite for dolphin,  once a school is located, is an 8 hook chicken rig with what ever live bait caught that morning tied off on a cleat.  Keeps at least one in the water while you pick off the big ones on the outskirts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I used to get some good hits late in the day with a BPS top water lure, just walk the dog and they'd smash it..
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top