Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
University of Washington, Michigan, and Texas A&M are good big schools.

A decent small school to look at is Claremont McKenna or Harvey Mudd (another Claremont college) in So Cal.  They have turned out some strong thinking engineers I have known.  Also turn out some headcases though, especially from some of the Claremont liberal rats schools.

I would say get in shape for the Academies, but if you aren't committed you shouldn't go.    

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What criteria are you guys using to call a school a "top" school for engineering? It would seem that the one that matters is the school's ability to aid sw in getting an excellent undergrad education in engineering.

There may be schools that are top ranked at engineering research while sucking major ass at undergraduate education.

Thanks Red_Beard - you are correct. I want the best undergrad engineering education possible, period. If we could arrive at some sort of relatively unbiased consensus on top 5 or so, I'd be very pleased.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There may be schools that are top ranked at engineering research while sucking major ass at undergraduate education.

Read as: MIT. A lot of these top schools have mediocre or even torturous undergrad programs. MIT is definitely one of them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What criteria are you guys using to call a school a "top" school for engineering? It would seem that the one that matters is the school's ability to aid sw in getting an excellent undergrad education in engineering.

Thanks Red_Beard - you are correct. I want the best undergrad engineering education possible, period. If we could arrive at some sort of relatively unbiased consensus on top 5 or so, I'd be very pleased.

Just remember that the biggest factor in how good an education you get is how hard you work. A dumb lazy mofo can have the best  teachers in the world, and he'll still be a sack of shit when he gets done. That said, being at a school with skilled instructors and lots of resources and opportunities couldn't hurt.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read as: MIT. A lot of these top schools have mediocre or even torturous undergrad programs. MIT is definitely one of them.

Please tell me more...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If I had to guess today what I'd honestly get on the ACT, I'd say a composite score of 34 with a 35 in math and a 33 in English. As far as perfect grades....if you mean all 100s, no way. All As would be a possibility, if I can swing an A in Chem class.

All A's is what I mean.  Well done if you can - it'll help alot.

Don't count on an ACT score...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell me more...

No doubt MIT is a wonderful school. But MIT's reputation comes from its graduate school and research facilities. They've done NASA, military, etc etc. You'll get a good education, but the focus at MIT is not undergrad.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell me more...

No doubt MIT is a wonderful school. But MIT's reputation comes from its graduate school and research facilities. They've done NASA, military, etc etc. You'll get a good education, but the focus at MIT is not undergrad.

What do you recommend for undergrad education?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What do you recommend for undergrad education?

Well, I went to WPI, like I posted before (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). They really focus on undergrad. It's a very small school though, but the engineering world knows its reputation.

Renssalear Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY is very good, once again a small school.

I really couldn't tell you about the bigger schools, but the guys here certainly could. I'm also limited in knowledge to Northeast schools.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#10]
University of Missouri - Rolla  
The only caveat I would add that while I was there, the M & AE department was very strong in heat transfer and fluid mechanics, less so in structures and design of machinery or controls (although pretty adequate).  At the time, there was an independent Engineering Mechanics department that has been rolled into the M & AE department, so that feature may be different now.

My point is that this phenomenon tends to be true at most engineering universities and colleges; find out what each schools strongest points are and pick one that suits your goals best.

If you want to learn to blow stuff up, the Rock Mechanics department is the place to go.

Also, learning Chinese or an Indian dialect wouldn't hurt, because you will encounter these folks in herds at the head of the classroom, qualified or not.

An additional comment about tortuous undergrad programs - there are a boatload of physics professors around the US that believe it is their jobs to make freshman physics as difficult as possible in an attempt to get students to quit.  They ought to concentrate on teaching the topic and stop being pindicks pricks.

Here is an opinion - you can get a better education of the basics (calculus, chemistry, physics, statics, dynamics, and so on) at a community college than at an engineering school.  The reason is that the CC instructors are interested in teaching you, and in your success in mastering the topic.  This is my experience, at more than one school of each type.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
UMass at Amherst
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Did anyone answer what CMU stands for?  I assume it is Carnegie Mellon University.

I don't know much of anything about engineering, but Carnegie is a great school overall, and I've heard lots of great stuff about their electrical engineering and computer stuff.

I think Fly_Navy raises an interesting point - that sometimes school reputations may be in part related to their research programs and graduate degrees - and not so much undergraduate training.  I don't know whether that's the case or not in engineering schools - but aren't there more SPECIFIC rankings out there about undergraduate engineering schools?  It's always dangerous to go by overall reputation when you have a specific interest.  I know that there are all kinds of lists and college prep books out there - you'd think there'd be information about undergrad engineering programs.  You'd be interested in things like - the average starting salary, the percent placement, the companies that hire, etc.

If you are really sure of a particualr industry (like firearms - which btw seems like a very small field, hence very risky to plan a career on) - it might be worthwhile to spend some time trying to find out where the kind of companies you want to work for like to hire from.  Sometimes there'll be a particular culture at a company, and they might only recruit from two or three particular schools.  If you already know the kind of companies you want to work for, you should also be able to ask the different engineering programs on your list about their success in placing graduates at those companies (schools will generally keep VERY detailed records of placement, so they have this information).

I'd also recommend having a back-up plan.  I'm not saying to plan for failure, but to have contingencies in place.  I'm guessing there are NOT a whole lot of jobs in the firearms industry -i.e. small arms (although if you are talking about the larger defense industry, then it's probably a better bet).

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:I'd also recommend having a back-up plan.  I'm not saying to plan for failure, but to have contingencies in place.  I'm guessing there are NOT a whole lot of jobs in the firearms industry -i.e. small arms (although if you are talking about the larger defense industry, then it's probably a better bet).

Yeah, you'd sure feel like a jackass if 2 days after starting your new job president Hillary signed the "firearms prohibition act of 2009".

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
University of Missouri - Rolla

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I will also tell you to avoid Stanford for your undergrad. The median gpa is 4.0 - which leads me to believe they are just handing out A's. I will say that I have respect for their post-grad degrees.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]
You said USMA but not USNA?  USNA is WAY better on an engineering side.

Beyond that, look at GaTech, University of FL (lots of money in research stuff), beyond that I don't know....I am one of those social science types.

One word of advice, even if you don't think you can afford a school, apply.  It is the high dollar schools that have money to give.

shooter
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Rensalaer (sp)Poly in NYS

Rensselaer.  Just call it RPI like everyone else . Oh wait, then everyone thinks it is in Rochester...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:I'd also recommend having a back-up plan.  I'm not saying to plan for failure, but to have contingencies in place.  I'm guessing there are NOT a whole lot of jobs in the firearms industry -i.e. small arms (although if you are talking about the larger defense industry, then it's probably a better bet).

Yeah, you'd sure feel like a jackass if 2 days after starting your new job president Hillary signed the "firearms prohibition act of 2009".

Firearms design is just what I'd like to ideally do. I'm sure it's a tiny market. I'd be game for building most types of machines.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#20]
What about the University of Dayton?  They have a top notch engineering program, with access to some kick-ass equipment, thanks to the University of Dayton Research Institute (which does a lot of work for the government, hence the kick-ass equipment).

Nice campus, great non-engineering classes, not too far from home.  It is a private college, so it costs a little more.

And they have a ROTC program if you want to go that route.

Dave

Of course, I am a little biased - UD class of '97.  Oh yeah, I also get my paycheck from them, too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#22]
www.studentsreview.com/top_engineering_schools_ranking.html

I've heard good things about Harvey Mudd in Pomona CA, a stone's throw from Cal Tech) and Rice (Texas) for many years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Most Conservative University in the USA is Texas A&M, 3rd Largest University in the country, great Engineering program.  Texas A&M!

Only one choice really.

Gig 'em

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Georgia Tech - one of the best anywhere......... Plus it is in downtown Atlanta

therefore, if engineering is to be mixed with chasin' skirts, GT is the place to be.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
USAFA - United States Air Force Academy
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#26]
MTU- Michigan Tech University, Houghton, MI. (I think they actually have more chicks than geeks now that they enhanced their non-engineering programs)

But that's if you LOVE snow, carving ice sculptures and can stand being considered a uper for 4-5 years, yah der eh!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Theres oodles of good engineering schools out there.  I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Washington University of St.Louis, Tulane University or Vanderbilt.  Those places also have really good engineering programs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#28]
1.  Cal Tech
2.  MIT

The service academies all have very good programs USMA: very good mech and civil, USNA: great nuke and general, USAFA:  great areo.   All three are a kick in the balls.   Do not go if you are not 100% committed.  You need to get in shape for ROTC, an LT that cannot lead from the front is worthless.  Being smart will not make you a good leader.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Clemson has a very good engineering program.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'd like to major in mechanical engineering. I just started my junior year of high school.

I haven't taken the SAT/ACT tests yet, but from my Plan test results (pre-ACT), I am in the 99th percentile for every subject except reading (I read slow ), and I believe I was in the 97% percentile for that.

As of now, I plan on going to MIT. However, as I'm sure some of you know, getting into MIT is a major accomplishment in itself. I'm signing up for as many classes as possible, particularly in science, with all of them being college prep classes. I guess that's not true - I COULD drop lunch, but that's not happening.

Anyways, the colleges that come to mind for me are:

MIT (very hard, I'm unsure about my chances)
CalTech (in California )
West Point (physical quals would kill me)

What other colleges should I look at? Bonus points for being near where I live (Athens, OH - that's in the southeastern part of the state).

Thanks guys. I know we have a few engineers on the board...

Sniper, APFT requirements are 2mi in 16min, 42 PUs, 50 SUs... If you hate running, USAFA is the same but you only have to do 1.5mi in 12min

US News & World Report does a list of the top schools...

I know MSOE (where I went) was usually in the top 10 for one or more programs (it varies by program. The school you goto may have a top-rated program for ME, but if you're an EE then... Of course, I wasn't an engineer, so...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Montana State University
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#32]
MIT, Cal Tech, Va Tech, Ga Tech, etc
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Georgia Tech!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I am an MIT grad, class of 1990. There are alot of truths and misconceptions going around about MIT here.

1)It is a science-based school. Do not go there for any liberal arts.
2)The strongest programs at MIT are not necessarily EE or Mech E. Biology has the most Nobel Prize winners at the school = 5 out of 8 laureates are in Biology (course 7). 2 are in Economics.( also very good there).
3) the most brutal program at MIT is Aerospace/Astronautics (Course 16). Very, very hard. Kind of like SEAL training.
4)There are no scholarships at MIT. Only needs based financial aid
5)MIT is in cambridge, much of the student body lives across the river in Boston
6)MIT has one of the largest Fraternity systems in the US. When I was there about 40% of the students lived off campus in independent living groups and frats.
7)MIT's close vicinity to Boston has made it one of the top party schools in the US. Hard to believe I know, but in 1988 Playboy rated it #24 and in 1989 #7 in the US. Watch the movie Real Genius and you will get a partial taste of "decompression via alcohol" that goes on there
8)MIT has decent athletics - the nations longest winning streak for  track and field (Division III), a very strong wrestling program (my frat was mainly wrestlers), and decent basketball.
9)there are usually 2-3 kids about 14 yrs old in the main freshman classes. Really freaked me out
10)there is a high suicide rate
11) academics is not just for graduate students at all. Undergrad is equally emphasized. 5 guys from my frat (mainly sophomores) built a particle accelerator from about $60k in spare parts at the Plasma Fusion Center. It was a baby-Tokamac. There are very large amounts of opportunities for undergrad research and projects.
12)MIT has ROTC. It was the ROTC that was started at Harvard and then cast away by them later.

BTW, contact me and I will get you in touch with my Alumni  Association
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#35]
GA TECH is a excellent  school, extremely good engineering school!  It is in the Center of Atlanta, right off of I-75.  Atlanta is a happening place with all sorts of things going on, also there are all flavors of PIE to be had, no shortage of Chicks.  Georgia is also EXTREMELY GUN FRIENDLY, we have a large ARFCOM crew here too, we go out to shoot every now and again also occasionally with the Alabama crew.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#36]
S_W, I'm a junior Mech. Eng. and adding pre-med as well at Michigan State University.  

I applied and got admitted to UMich, MSU, and Rose Hulman, and considered Carnegie Mellon and a couple others.  A couple things made me decide to attend Michigan State (ranked lower than the other three by U. S.nooze): MSU's undergrad M.E. program seemed to be quite specific and well-developed (and the farther I go into classes here, the more it seems this way); the atmosphere and the attitudes of the students and faculty that I talked to before committing showed that they seemed to be genuinely interested in helping each other and the students succeed--a desire to collaborate and assist rather than the near-arrogance that I perceived at UMich.  
At the time I applied, I wasn't 100% sure exactly what I wanted to study, and MSU makes it easy to move between majors.

At a large university like this (near 50k students), there are many opportunities to make yourself known to the professors.  I ended up landing an internship this summer with one of my Materials Science profs simply by asking about an Honors Option at the beginning of spring semester.  It was a continuation of what I'd worked on for my HO; a lot of students do little more than run established experiments, but with this guy,I was designing and building testing equipment and developing my own variations of experiments to test properties of a material he'd been working on for quite some time.  
The opportunities are present at a big university, you just have to ask!  (though i would recommend waiting until you've had at least a couple classes in your major so you have enough background to not be totally lost).

Consider the fact that ROTC scholarships pay 17000$ per year towards school.  That's about 3/4 of what it would cost for out of state tuition + standard room and board.  
Good luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Kansas State has a good program.

Go CATS!

"Yep, they'll learn you good"
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
GA Tech
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#39]
The United States Military Academy at West Point is a good engineering school.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm gonna recommend NJIT,

Its got a solid program, is reasonably priced and has a good AFROTC Detachment (490) on site.

I wasn't a mech-E but I know several who attended with me, its tough.

We also have the NJ Smart Gun program going on there as a cooperative effort between the ME, COE, CE and Biology departments. Students are doing work there, I don't foresee the program going anywhere for the time being as the program head has set the firm goal of 100% reliability over several trials.

Its a reasonably nice albeit small campus and if your grades are as good as you say then they'll likely try and give yo ua free ride in the Albert Dorman Honors collage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Theres oodles of good engineering schools out there.  I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Washington University of St.Louis, Tulane University or Vanderbilt.  Those places also have really good engineering programs.

Both of those are great universities       (definitely let me know if you are going to apply to either of those)
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
1.  Cal Tech
2.  MIT

The service academies all have very good programs USMA: very good mech and civil, USNA: great nuke and general, USAFA:  great areo.   All three are a kick in the balls.   Do not go if you are not 100% committed.  You need to get in shape for ROTC, an LT that cannot lead from the front is worthless.  Being smart will not make you a good leader.  

I am pretty sure I am in good enough shape for ROTC, I just don't think I'm in good enough shape for USMA.

I can run a mile in roughly six minutes, do roughly 50 pushups, and I have no idea on situps.

ClayP, thanks a lot for the MIT info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Foothill College in Los Altos, CA.  Go Owls!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#44]
One of the best Engineering schools in the World !  University Of Oklahoma!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck mechanical engineering go petroleum. go here.

Lots of money in that business.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#46]
UC Berkeley, I hear its a great enviroment
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:10:01 AM EDT
[#47]
mississippi state univ all the way
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:13:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Georgia Tech has an extremely good reputation among technical colleges, but I'm not sure what they offer as far as engineering stuff. Their computer related programs are top notch though. You might take a look at them to see what they can provide.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:58:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Rose Hulman.  The top engineering school in the country for like the last 5 years.  You people sound like you wouldn't know a good engineer if he fell on you.

FWIW
I have seen some lousy engineers come out of UT and A&M.  I deal with them on a daily basis.

I thought that list was of schools that don't have advanced degree programs. Not the top, just the top in their classification. I know several Rose grads. That poll got trotted out a work several times.

Sniper-Wolfe, do you have a specific job, or career goal in mind?

Quoted:
Frankly using an MIT ME degree to design firearms is a waste, any old ME bachelor degree can cover just about all thats involved.

Not trying to dissuade you, but keep in mind this is 4-5 years of effort, i'd hate to see it under ultilized.

I fully agree with the above. Mechanical Engineering has come to the point where most of the real work can be done with a computer. The benefit to getting an ME degree is understanding what you are looking at. Unless an ME degree is a pre-requisite for a specific job, or field you have in mind, I'd recommend considering another major, and taking ME as a minor, or at least as a strong emphasis. My school didn't have minors.

Quoted:
MTU- Michigan Tech University, Houghton, MI. (I think they actually have more chicks than geeks now that they enhanced their non-engineering programs)

But that's if you LOVE snow, carving ice sculptures and can stand being considered a uper for 4-5 years, yah der eh!

No, the babe report you heard was in error. At least according to several recent grads I know.
I really need to get up there for winter carnival though.
If I had to do it over, I'd probably have gone to Tech.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Fuck mechanical engineering go petroleum. go here.

Lots of money in that business.

Boy howdy.  If I could do it over again, and if I was actually good at math, I wouldn't mind getting a degree in petroleum engineering.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top