Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked on a suicide hotline for a couple of months.  That sucked, but it was so brief I rarely think of it.

The worst "real" job I ever had was writing storyboards for maintenance comic books for the US Army.  The company was privately owned by a mean little alcoholic man.  The only "nice" thing he ever did for his employees was to let them leave work 10 minutes early on Christmas Eve.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've had all kinds of shit jobs for crap money........

Then I've got a really shitty story of likely the worst job I've had.....

During the Winter of 90' and Spring/Summer of 91', yours truely was deployed with I MEF during GW1.   Being the high ranking Lance Corporal I was, got to do some real shitty work.  Working party or whatever the F' was needed and warm E-3's and below were handy.  One of the jobs that got rotated was shitter/pisser detail.   When we were in 'Camp' the SeaBee's had built us some fine facilities outta plywood and tops/bottoms of 55 gallon drums.  Waa Laa :  Shitter (or pisser).  Upon notificatioin we would have to haul off the drums of piss and shit to a designated area in the desert and dispose of them.   The piss got dumped out into a large hole but shit......well thats a whole adventure in itself.
We used diesel to burn all the of the shit down (and toilet paper/etc) to ash.  Yes, your shit will burn down to ash BTW.  But not without some help.  You see, simply pouring diesel on it and lighting it,  wouldn't quite do the job.   This was a job that took skill and pampering.  Diesel burns very hot and otherwise would burn off the top.  This shit had to be stirred frequently so that the diesel intermixed evenly and burned the defication/paper/fluid.  When I was lucky enough to pull this detail (job) it included approximately 15-20 shit cans.  If the desert wasn't hot enough, diesel burns very hot.  Now the shit didn't go easily.  It usually turned into a heaping cauldron of boiling, bubbly brown diesel hybrid torch fuel.  Often the "stir stick" would catch on fire (yes from the shit) and we would have to find another one.  If you didn't keep it all stirred up evenly, then it would burn out and take you even longer.  Mix that with the lovely aroma of burning shit (15-20 drums of it) and paper and you have a real interesting smell.   The entire process from start to finish took about 2 to 3 hours.   Since we were a line combat unit, baths weren't something that we had the privelage of taking except ever couple weeks.  My command must have Loved me because ever time I got the chance to take a shower, I'd be burning shit the next day.  And smelling like it for 2 more weeks.  Semper Fi.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I worked in the kitchen and as a dishwasher for a Chick-Fil-A Dwarf House as my first job in high school.  Paid minimum wage, and I always smelled like grease.  Ugh.

The worst part was cleaning the filters on the pressure fryers.  Nasty 200 degree crap caked onto 200 degree metal, and all you have is one glove and a spatula inside the little outbuilding with the trash dumpster and the grease bins.  That sucked so bad.

At least the co-workers were nice for the most part.

Nothing compared to what some of you have been through, though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#4]
BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO....

kids peed there all the time and people always claimed there video wasnt late when it blaintly was and then wanted it comped.  also, the "perks" were u got 1 free rental a week on  a new release...and a discount on candy....god how i ever decided to apply i will never know, everytime i go into one people look so depressed and i know why so i even try to cheer em up, cuz i know they hate themselves, cuz i did when i was there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Watermelon chucker (summer job between soph and jr year in high school)

We got to pick the melons up off the gound and load them in the truck, in southern AZ, during the summer, and the truck was generally belching fumes, and the driver generally was an illegal alien. It sucked rocks. The next summer I bagged groceries.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had a few bad jobs.  My first, at age 11, was delivering sales flyers for a department store.  I had to roll and rubber band 450 little papers and then deliver them.  I was paid $1.10 for every bundle of 450 flyers I delivered.  I would usually deliver twice a month.  Attached to my paycheck for $2.20 each month was a points certificate.  After working for an entire year, I had enough points for an AM radio.

At the age of 16 I worked for McDonalds for 5 months.  There is nothing like coming home at the end of the day all sticky and greasy.  If you press a finger to your forehead, grease will actually drip off.  The crappy rayon uniform stunk.  I had to leave my shoes outside because they stunk from all the rotting onions that were stuck in the tread.

After high school I worked in a machine shop and went to school for Tool & Die.  I became a Certified Tool & Die Maker.  The shop I worked at kept bringing in mass production jobs that had nothing to do with tool & Die.  Every other month I had to make 5000 tiny coper contacts for some type of conveyor belt.  I had to cut, shape, drill and tap all of these little F'ing pieces.  It took forever, and every night my hands were full of tiny copper slivers.

It wasn't long until I started my automotive career and now everything is good!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Digging/cutting these www.kiowacd.org/images/musk_thistle_main.jpg in the pasture or
doing this the.honoluluadvertiser.com/specials/snapshot/images/p153.jpg.

Great character builders those jobs were.  

Numbers, IS THAT A MUSTTHISTLE?

IF SO, ARE YOU FROM NEBRASKA?  WE HAVE THEM ALL OVER THE PLACE IN NEB AND I HATE GOING TO SPRAY THEM EVERY SPRING AND FALL, thank god for Du-Pounts chemical wizzards, cuz now they rot to hell once you hit them with some Ally and 2-4D
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of the jobs I've had, "Sucked Big Time".  

One of the worst was a fuel cell mechanic for a Fairchild-Hiller.  I worked the night shift after going to school full time during the day.  

I had to get a "Top Secret" clearance for that job.  It took about two months to get the job.  

When a plane came in from Nam (all shot up), they would drain the fuel and pressurize the fuel cell with air.   I walked the wing of a four engine troop transport, painting the wing with soapy water, looking for leaks.  I'd have to remember what rivet, on a big ass wing, was leaking.  

I then opened a small hatch and crawled into the wing, through all the supports.  I had to look for that leaking rivet, clean the old sealer and re-seal the rivet.  

I didn't last long.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been pretty lucky with all my jobs, but there were some parts of residency that made my think long and hard about my decision.

My two worst jobs were unaboot clinic and rectal clinic.

Unaboot clinic was where we took care of diabetic foot ulcers.  The smell of that place is unimaginable.  Dead and dying tissue, maggots, pus.  Thank goodness it was only once a week, and after lunch.

Rectal clinic ( as the name implies) is where we treated the amazing variety of anal ailments that can befall the hapless ass.  As this rotation was in an urban wasteland hospital, the typical patient was either homeless, or poverty stricken to the point where hygiene was non-existant.  You just cannot believe the kind of shit I saw (no pun intended).

Imagine if you will about 15 cubicles about 6 feet square, all lined up with doors on the outside, like a row of telephone booths, and a curtain along the back wall.  Patient comes in the door, undresses, and assumes the position, balancing on their knees, leaning over the exam table.

From my perspective fifteen full moons all in a row.  Enter booth, and while talking to the butt end of the patient, perform digital rectal exam, then insert proctoscope.  This neat little invention is a metal tube about 6 inches long, with a little light on the end.  The goal is to be able to see the rectum in all its glory.  The problem is that the visibility is not so good, so some genius decided to put a little glass window on a hinge at the looking end, and add a little insufflator which is like the bulb on a blood pressure cuff.  So you close the window, and start pumping the bulb, and the ass inflates, and you can get a good look around.  Fissures, hemerrhoids, fistulas, foreign bodies, assorted dingleberries, you name it, its in there.  The best part of the exam, of course, is the removal of the scope, which cannot be done until all the air (now gas) is removed, otherwise you get a very unhappy patient with a distended colon, so you open the little window, and wait while holding your breath for all the air to escape, then you pull it out.  I won't get into a discussion of manual disimpaction for the constipated.

May I just say, I have a deep respect for any physician who choose to enter proctology.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Army Recruiter.

3 years.   Michigan.   average hours a week: 120-126

number of government vehicles wrecked: 3

number wrecked due to falling asleep at the wheel: 2

area spanning 4 counties, 12 high schools, 3 junior colleges and 2 state colleges.

By myself.

My wife and I would go to marriage counseling just so we could spend time together.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Fast food, the one and only job I've ever had
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
1st crappy job- working for a landscaper, basically weeding flower beds in TX.
2nd crappy job-Spent one day making cotton candy at an amusement park. After 10 hours, I couldn't get my zipper down because I was encrusted in sugar.
3rd crappy job- I was hot for this red-head and her dad owned an electric company. I was hanging around his daughter a little too much and he offered me a job. Ended up digging ditches for conduit lines in the middle of nowhere TX for oil pumps. He got me good!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Back in the 70’s, was production manager and chief cook and bottle washer for an animal pharmaceutical manufacturing plant. Cold as the arctic in winter and hot and humid as the jungle in the summer. Working in melting ovens ( 150 degrees +) weighing out petrolatum (think very thick Vaseline) and other chemicals that are not liquid at normal room temperatures, making 2000 gallon batches of tincture of iodine in a small room just big enough for the tank with a little room left over to turn around in, then filling all 2000 gallons by hand into 8oz bottles. Or running a bolus press machine pounding away for 8 hours a day. Or worse yet, making cattle wormer, the main chemical in that would turn any paint, plastic or manmade fibers bright pinkish red. Coated all the time with god knows what chemicals all day long, dealing with mostly absentee, alcoholic minority workers. Hell, the only days everyone showed up for work was when you made a run of euthanasia, there were no dust collectors in the building so all the phenobarbitals, pentabarbitols and other dust floated around the building all day and all the packing people didn’t wear gloves.
This was the only time every one was at work and all were in a good mood.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Army Recruiter.

area spanning 4 counties, 12 high schools, 3 junior colleges and 2 state colleges.

By myself.

My wife and I would go to marriage counseling just so we could spend time together.

SSG Olajus? Is that you?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The worst job I had was was working as a janitor at a nursing home at age 14.  It was non-stop cleaning up shit, vomit, puddles of urine, and used snot rags stuck to everything.  There was an oversized bathroom that they called the enema room.  There would be shit splattered from floor to ceiling that I had to clean.
Then there was the emptying of the depends barrels, gathering of all the dirty bibs after meal time, and putting up with violent senile people.

I dont know how I lasted 3 years there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked for the "Michigan Youth Corps" as a young teen.  We had to do shit like clean up dead animals off of the side of the road, remove garbadge from the creeks where they passed under roads, and "clean up" the dump!!!

Balming
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The worst job I had was was working as a janitor at a nursing home at age 14.  It was non-stop cleaning up shit, vomit, puddles of urine, and used snot rags stuck to everything.  There was an oversized bathroom that they called the enema room.  There would be shit splattered from floor to ceiling that I had to clean.
Then there was the emptying of the depends barrels, gathering of all the dirty bibs after meal time, and putting up with violent senile people.

I dont know how I lasted 3 years there.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Army Recruiter.

By myself.

SSG Olajus? Is that you?

SSG Later

It's the same for a lot of guys out there though.

I'd rather freeze my nuts to a metal pole tahn do that job again.  

funny thing, I was still really good at it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Lets see... there was the job cleaning up rat shit...that sucked.

There's my current job, cleaning up people and goose shit....it sucks.

But wait, the worst job I ever had was as a cashier at CVS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#22]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I've had all kinds of shit jobs for crap money........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I've got a really shitty story of likely the worst job I've had.....

During the Winter of 90' and Spring/Summer of 91', yours truely was deployed with I MEF during GW1. Being the high ranking Lance Corporal I was, got to do some real shitty work. Working party or whatever the F' was needed and warm E-3's and below were handy. One of the jobs that got rotated was shitter/pisser detail. When we were in 'Camp' the SeaBee's had built us some fine facilities outta plywood and tops/bottoms of 55 gallon drums. Waa Laa : Shitter (or pisser). Upon notificatioin we would have to haul off the drums of piss and shit to a designated area in the desert and dispose of them. The piss got dumped out into a large hole but shit......well thats a whole adventure in itself.
We used diesel to burn all the of the shit down (and toilet paper/etc) to ash. Yes, your shit will burn down to ash BTW. But not without some help. You see, simply pouring diesel on it and lighting it, wouldn't quite do the job. This was a job that took skill and pampering. Diesel burns very hot and otherwise would burn off the top. This shit had to be stirred frequently so that the diesel intermixed evenly and burned the defication/paper/fluid. When I was lucky enough to pull this detail (job) it included approximately 15-20 shit cans. If the desert wasn't hot enough, diesel burns very hot. Now the shit didn't go easily. It usually turned into a heaping cauldron of boiling, bubbly brown diesel hybrid torch fuel. Often the "stir stick" would catch on fire (yes from the shit) and we would have to find another one. If you didn't keep it all stirred up evenly, then it would burn out and take you even longer. Mix that with the lovely aroma of burning shit (15-20 drums of it) and paper and you have a real interesting smell. The entire process from start to finish took about 2 to 3 hours. Since we were a line combat unit, baths weren't something that we had the privelage of taking except ever couple weeks. My command must have Loved me because ever time I got the chance to take a shower, I'd be burning shit the next day. And smelling like it for 2 more weeks. Semper Fi.

I wonder if Rambo ever had to do that?  Guess they never put that in a recruiting poster.  Go Infantry!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#23]
It's not just a job it's an adventure because you can't resign

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Watermelon chucker (summer job between soph and jr year in high school)

We got to pick the melons up off the gound and load them in the truck, in southern AZ, during the summer, and the truck was generally belching fumes, and the driver generally was an illegal alien. It sucked rocks. The next summer I bagged groceries.

You're so FOS.

We've been told over and over again that NO AMERICAN will take a job like that and that is why we NEED illegal immigrants.

And NO WAY the illegal immigrant would get the "white man" job driving the truck while YOU gathered and loaded watermelons.

You are clearly a racists trying to spread propaganda.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I've never had any job that I really hated that much.

My first job was as an Imax usher in a museum. It was kinda boring watching the same stupid movies over and over and over, but we got to goof off a lot and sometimes make funny presentations.

I worked as a Installer for Pep Boys for a while, installing tires and batteries and changing oil. We had one PITA manager for a couple of weeks, but he got fired. Long and dirty, but decent overall. BTW, bring the whole toolbox when you want to change the battery in a Chevy Lumina (I think that was the one?).

I worked as a bike shop mechanic for a while. Pay sucked and the manager was kinda flaky. Had it's fun points, but I was glad to leave when school started back up.

I was a college tutor for a while. That was a nice job - we'd get paid $7/hr to sit in a room and help anyone who had trouble. Hardly anyone ever had trouble, so we did our own homework.

I worked at a moving company for over a year, off and on. It was great sometimes, and a pain sometimes. They were small enough that if you had a clue and a little ambition, you could mostly do your own thing within a month or two. A few good people to work with, and a lot of assholes just out of prison.

But I have a much better job now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I worked for Xerox. I started out in the mailroom and like micheal j fox I worked my way up. At first it was great. but then it turned into the movie office space. Then with the lesbo bosses and liberals I could not take it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Second worst is any sales job that involves cold calling.  

+1,000

I was once...get ready for this...a Fuller Brush man.

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#28]
KFC age 15
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Production Supervisor for Schering-Plough in Miami Lakes, Florida.

Had a bitch USMA graduate for a boss who was too busy showing off her BMW Z3 to have a clue WTF she was doing. The other engineers and supervisors were all assholes. There were three supervisors for five machines, so there was little to do. TONS of QA work needed to be done, and none was getting done. When I offered to do it, I was told, "Nope. Just supervise."

Idiot!

I was there for a grand total of six weeks. Two of those were manufacturing shutdown for the holidays, and a third was my honeymoon. I quit, because I couldn't stand being bored all day.

Damned job sucked!

ETA: Oh, and concerning cold calling: I did that for one afternoon while trying to get my mortgage broker second job off the ground. NEVER again!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Spend a icy WI winter sandblasting the inside of railroad tankcars, loading and shoveling sand.

It was a really suckass job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Hmm... driving truck for the last 8 years
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow, and I thought working for 7-11 was bad.

I had to work two swing shifts, two graveyards and one day shift. My internal clock never got right.

Other than that the job wasn't bad & I never got robbed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Worked at a sewage treatment plant for 3 years, it was a shitty job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yes, but I've seen the effluent lifestyle municipal workers live!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hmm... driving truck for the last 8 years

First the signature, now the avatar!

Where will the madness end?!?!?!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but I've seen the effluent lifestyle municipal workers live!!!

Dude, that is the WORST pun I've ever heard!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a lot of bad jobs..but one of the worst was when my older Brother and I spent one summer picking Snow Peas in a field in Oxnard with a bunch of illegals. We were the only white people there.

It was Back Breaking work. You got totally muddy in the morning they would truck you in before the sun came up, and truck you out just before sunset.
During the afternoon the sun would come up, the mud would dry on you, towards Noon you were sunburned. Then a mexican Catering Truck would come lumbering into the field, Lots of hot spicy food to eat on a hot day..with soda's..by the end of the day you were as red as a lobster.

They paid us by weight. And we frequently made less than minimum wage. We had round wooden baskets, with a wire handle. When the basket was really loaded up it would weight 65 lbs, and the wire handle would hurt your hands when you were carrying it to the weighing station.

If you wanted to take a leak, you just went right there in the field or if it was business you would walk a long ways across the field to a porta potty, that always seemed to have piss all over the floor and toilet seat. There was nothing to wash your hands with, unless you brought a bottle of water and a hand towel.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Rectal clinic ( as the name implies) is where we treated the amazing variety of anal ailments that can befall the hapless ass.  

Somehow you must, absolutely must, find a way to get that sentance into a medical text!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I've only had one job but it sucks. Pays $5.50 an hour (I currently work there).

I work in Bromley Dining Hall (Ohio University, Athens).

I do a variety of jobs from dishes to preparing/serving food. It's boring and they either are begging you to work extra hours or trying to get you to leave early so they can pay you less money. It's boring but there's not much else for a 17 year old kid in Athens.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#41]
reading this thread is making me feel better. my job sucks... but then, i do run a vacuum cleaner shop.

but seriously, i have been fortunate to have had a run of tolerable jobs. the worst was probably 'drive thru beverage store attendant'. for the boredom and the drunks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#42]
inspection at a pharmaceutical company....basically the job was to sit at a belt and watch for damaged pills....for 8 hours. i couldn't take it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top