Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Steyr I was expecting a little more from you after reading your informative post on the steyr, hk ect..... than some lame ass response that their cheap. [:D]  

An R5, Galil, or A90 will put the boot to any HK product in extream field conditions as well as inherant accuracy.  [slap]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0hAC*Au0rc!Fhf48XyJs*zhX5Ra1OdMbL3ZLySvr7jiDEKf6UK7N6PESo3PDxXWAsCI8LTotPSlNaTVgIO55sXv5yyNz*VVucLjBNRm24M1e9CGfzJONjAEpiDpxyYv!7rmvymqRRnuMogQrh0qjMCce!E5yDPtGWbNYBwIxtosilFLQYvA1thJ02gajlH8aJ/3PoliceInspector_Wayne_Baartman_With_R5_01%5B1%5D.jpg?dc=4675435436226989705[/img]
South African R5

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Nuthing
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
When i buy another AK, i want this Robinson Arms KTR-03. Its the closest we can get to the RK95/Galil/Valmet type of Kalisnikov.

[img]http://www.robarm.com/VEPR%20KTR%20.223%20RS.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.robarm.com/VEPR%20KTR%20.223%20LS.jpg[/img]

Note the thumb operable safty.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a pricey, tricked out AR.  I love the damn thing.  She's been my labor of love for some years now...a new trigger here...an ACOG there...my wife calls her that "damn black money hole"!  Even though I really take good care of my AR, as with a lot of ARs, mine can be somewhat finicky at times.  Much to my annoyance, she has failed me occasionally right in the middle of a match, usually after getting very hot and after maybe 1200 rounds in 3-4 hours of near-constant firing.

Early this year, I followed some sage advice and finally bought me a commie gun.  I happen to choose a SA M7 from Arsenal...although I don't think it makes too much difference what AK you choose.

I'm a believer now.  That commie gun is now my SHTF weapon of choice.  Don't get me wrong...I'm NOT selling my AR...but so far, the SA M7 hasn't failed me and I've pressed it pretty hard at times.  Gets pretty hot...but no hiccups.  It is much easier to clean (Yes...I do clean it!) and shoots virtually ANY ammo without a single burp.

I also read a "lesson's learned" story here at ARFCOM last year by a gent who had just completed his Thunder Ranch class.  The author took his AR to the school but had to ditch it when the weapon began FTFs and jams.  He said that one of the instructors loaned him an AK to finish the COI.  He also said that the ONLY reliable weapon for the urban SHTF warfare portion of the training was the AK-47.  Actually, that article was what prompted me to start looking for a quality AK.

Finally, just a short man-on-the-street story:  During GW-I, a friend of mine was leading a battalion of Marines in the Sand Pile.  During one encounter with an Iraqi armored column, he called in air support to prevent his grunts from becoming tank tread lube.  After the USAF A-10s were done, he and some of his young fire-pissers went to investigate the carnage.  At one of the burning tanks, there was a dead Iraqi officer (Actually 1/2 of him.) on the ground, having been blown rather violently out of his TC hatch.  Also in the sand, muzzle down, was a commie gun.  My friend picked up the rifle, relieved a dead Iraqi of his ammo belt, blew out the sand in the barrel and test fired the weapons without a hitch.  He then kept the rifle as his personal weapon for the duration.  I guess he learned in Vietnam just how effective the AK-47 was.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
AK:

Fills the same role as a Thompson SMG, but costs less (of course, WRT full-auto, a Colt SMG (AKA AR-15 variant subgun) costs less than either)... 7.62x39 is 'intermediate' enough to be a SMG cartridge as well as a rifle round, depending on method of employment (The Russians essentially developed the AK for use as a high-powered SMG (i.e. in full-auto mode, for close-range support of armor), following on the German StG-44 concept)... However, drum mags are comparably cheap for the AK vs the AR or Thompson...

Ammo is cheap...

Some people think they look cool....

Combined with your Makarov, Tokarev, SKS, and Mosin M44, it fits on the other wall from your M1903, Garand or M-14, 1911, AR-15, and 92FS...

That's about it...

P.S. Design wise, direct-impingement and HK's modified-blowback SHOULD THEORETICALLY be more accurate than any gas-piston design...

But wrt above, the AK was never designed for accuracy. It was designed to be used as a 'Super SMG' for close-in support of Soviet armor, as the Russians basically mixed German tank tactics (taking the assault rifle/smg concept from there) with their penchant for numbers over technology to get their armor doctrine...

This is why the Russians were developing the AK around the time the NATO powers were adopting their 'battle rifles' on the way from the old bolt actions (and the 'novel' for it's time M-1 semiauto) to the present assault-rifle design.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh lighten up Francis

It was a lame ass joke.
View Quote

You would think the [:D] would be a clue, wouldn't ya?
View Quote

geez guys, i KNOW IT WAS A JOKE.
but ive heard the whole "uneducated 3rd world" reference to the AK (and no other gun) so much that i decided to to break it down and question it, just for those guys that dont joke about it but believe it.

just trying to give people "food for thought".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top