Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That will work as well as Land Warrior did.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No matter what you or I think this is what the current Army Chief of Staff fears, this is the driving force behind NATICK developing a new ADVAP(Advaned Armor Piercing) round in 7.62 and why he is pushing out the ICSR on such a fast time frame.
View Quote
Has Milley actually stated that is the reason for the ICSR program, or is it just your speculation?
View Quote
Yes, Milley has said repeatedly that the 7.62 NATO push was to defeat body armor worn by Near Peer opponents that forward deployed Soldiers face right now. That means Russia...
View Quote
I agree that means Russia. But, it means Russia now, not 15 years from now.
My question was, has Milley stated that RATNIK-3 is the reason for the ICSR?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, to be fair, that is the most convincing reason presented for this stupid .308 bullshit so far....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concur. It is quite illogical to think that an urgent program which is meant to field an off-the-shelf 7.62 rifle as quickly as possible, would be motivated by a body armor threat that won't exist for at least 15 years.
Well, to be fair, that is the most convincing reason presented for this stupid .308 bullshit so far....
Disagree. Milley justified the ICSR on the grounds of an immediate threat, not one which might exist a generation from now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Who?

Congress chose to side with the Army Chief of Staff. If he has congress on his side what "higher up" is there to stop him?
View Quote
How many times has the service looked at replacing the M4?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or we could go back to 19O3A3 Springfields and learn to shoot.
View Quote
This is gold right here
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That will work as well as Land Warrior did.
View Quote
I carried Land Warrior in Iraq. It was a huge force multiplier, though cumbersome, not overly reliable, etc. But we were using Gen I, better generations were tested by other units and Rangers/SFOD-D. Stripped of all the gun shit, the commo shit, the latest version does all the bad ass stuff we liked about the 10 lb version and is the size of a Samsung Galaxy 8+, you can stick it on your upper chest on your plate carrier and pull it down whenever you need to know exactly where you and everyone else are. Its a <1 lb piece of equipment that gives every Soldier in leadership positions the dismounted version of the FBCB2/BFT. With that you can always know exactly where you are, you can plot routes, you can tell where all other users are located, you can drop chemlights for whatever (targets, enemy spotted, TRPs for supporting arms, CCPs, etc.). A thousand times better than wrist Garmin or map and compass and protractor.

Land Warrior proved the version we used was crap but that the concept was FUCKING AWESOME. And with our tech levels now, we can definitely make it work rather easily and reliably.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
What comp is developing our weapon system? What ties does ACoS have to said company?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No matter what you or I think this is what the current Army Chief of Staff fears, this is the driving force behind NATICK developing a new ADVAP(Advaned Armor Piercing) round in 7.62 and why he is pushing out the ICSR on such a fast time frame.
Has Milley actually stated that is the reason for the ICSR program, or is it just your speculation?
Yes, Milley has said repeatedly that the 7.62 NATO push was to defeat body armor worn by Near Peer opponents that forward deployed Soldiers face right now. That means Russia...
Oh, that. No, this is just vaporware at some Russian expo where they stole all the design stuff from other western vaporware demos. The ICSR is to defeat body armor, specifically Russian. But Milley isn't about common sense. He's about creating an national security emergency to generate funding for a force that got reliant on its GWOT money a bit too much.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I carried Land Warrior in Iraq. It was a huge force multiplier, though cumbersome, not overly reliable, etc. But we were using Gen I, better generations were tested by other units and Rangers/SFOD-D. Stripped of all the gun shit, the commo shit, the latest version does all the bad ass stuff we liked about the 10 lb version and is the size of a Samsung Galaxy 8+, you can stick it on your upper chest on your plate carrier and pull it down whenever you need to know exactly where you and everyone else are. Its a <1 lb piece of equipment that gives every Soldier in leadership positions the dismounted version of the FBCB2/BFT. With that you can always know exactly where you are, you can plot routes, you can tell where all other users are located, you can drop chemlights for whatever (targets, enemy spotted, TRPs for supporting arms, CCPs, etc.). A thousand times better than wrist Garmin or map and compass and protractor.

Land Warrior proved the version we used was crap but that the concept was FUCKING AWESOME. And with our tech levels now, we can definitely make it work rather easily and reliably.
View Quote
Rangers Ive seen talk about it. Said it sucked. And if it was really tits, that system would have been fast tracked. You'd see Grunts all over using it.

I have not seen any pictures of dudes using that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What comp is developing our weapon system? What ties does ACoS have to said company?
View Quote
We don't know.

It's a open competition to any COTS rifle that requires no modifications and can be delivered by Sept 6, 2017.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The Russians sure do love to play these games and make crazy claims. 
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rangers Ive seen talk about it. Said it sucked. And if it was really tits, that system would have been fast tracked. You'd see Grunts all over using it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait. Are you seriously suggesting that a good piece of equipment would get issued just because it was good? Yeah, about that. The Army doesn't work that way.

The Land Warrior was only funded to a certain degree, it was never allowed to grow enough because they cut the funding early on and then let it just die out. The first and second generation were the only ones the Army paid for and the one the Rangers used was either the same one I used (which was made with late 90s tech), or they had the Gen II versions which were only a bit better. The project got canceled but GD kept working on it and I can't find the US version (which I've seen), but here is a pic of the Japanese version of what I'm talking about, of what Land Warrior has basically turned into:

With that little fold down touch screen computer, a Soldier will have his own position laid out on either a topo map or overhead imagery of his AO. He'll get a moving ten digit grid of his location. He'll know where everyone else in the same net is located because their positions will populate on his map. He'll be able to drop an electronic chemlight anywhere and then everyone else can see it. There is no gun camera, there is no Inter/Intra team radio feature. Its all about Situational Awareness and Land Navigation. And those two things are often pretty nifty to have with you, especially if the cost is a couple PAL webbing on the front of your plate carrier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Russians sure do love to play these games and make crazy claims. 
View Quote
We bankrupted the USSR by using the same tactics.  Remember Reagan's Star Wars program?  I suspect they may be doing the same to us now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Land Warrior was only funded to a certain degree, it was never allowed to grow enough because they cut the funding early on and then let it just die out. The first and second generation were the only ones the Army paid for and the one the Rangers used was either the same one I used (which was made with late 90s tech), or they had the Gen II versions which were only a bit better. The project got canceled but GD kept working on it and I can't find the US version (which I've seen), but here is a pic of the Japanese version of what I'm talking about, of what Land Warrior has basically turned into:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/JGSDF.jpg

With that little fold down touch screen computer, a Soldier will have his own position laid out on either a topo map or overhead imagery of his AO. He'll get a moving ten digit grid of his location. He'll know where everyone else in the same net is located because their positions will populate on his map. He'll be able to drop an electronic chemlight anywhere and then everyone else can see it. There is no gun camera, there is no Inter/Intra team radio feature. Its all about Situational Awareness and Land Navigation. And those two things are often pretty nifty to have with you, especially if the cost is a couple PAL webbing on the front of your plate carrier.
View Quote
Very cool.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
JDAM proof? 
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wait. Are you seriously suggesting that a good piece of equipment would get issued just because it was good? Yeah, about that. The Army doesn't work that way.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/JGSDF.jpg

View Quote
Found it, here is the modern (well, five years old tech) offspring of Land Warrior, called Nett Warrior.

If you were a grunt, especially as a small unit dismounted leader, are you seriously telling me you don't think this is handier and more of a force multiplier than a heavy ass rifle in a heavy ass caliber that only very slightly better defeats enemy body armor compared to M4/M995 combo?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#17]
What is XM1158?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Fake news
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who?

Congress chose to side with the Army Chief of Staff. If he has congress on his side what "higher up" is there to stop him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
None of this will materialize. Some higher up needs to stop this. Waste of money.....
Who?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is XM1158?
View Quote
Its an experimental project for a 7.62 NATO round that is supposedly going to be able to defeat even Level IV body armor. Likely its just the M80A1 but with a tungsten tip, not steel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is XM1158?
View Quote
Some new super secret advanced armor piercing 7.62 bullet Natick developed.

Supposedly it easily defeats Level IV ceramic armor while also doing excellent terminal performance. It is also supposed to be using a polymer case from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#22]
If I had to fight someone, gunfight or hands, I hope they are wearing all that shit and walk in slow motion, roll around like a turtle on it's back, and can't get basic sight alignment due to the stupid helmet.  Plus, lots to grab onto.  

We did some basic grapling in armor and helmets.  It was not cool...an opponent can manhandle you as you are covered in shit to grab.  The only meaningful advantage was that you were hard to hurt with body blows and you could use your helmet as a weapon...to a point.

F That.  Less is more.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol if you think Trump is going to stop the Army from procuring a new rifle when the Chief of Staff got before congress and basically said "we need this or soldiers will die!".
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fake news
View Quote
The Russian exo suit? Yes.

The ICSR? No, it's very real and happening.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lol if you think Trump is going to stop the Army from procuring a new rifle when the Chief of Staff got before congress and basically said "we need this or soldiers will die!".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm skeptical the Russians can field those in any realistic numbers.

5.56 is still a better choice IMO.
View Quote
I'm skeptical it works outside of a few prototypes in a lab. That shit's no where near ready to field and in mass, complete horse shit. We have shit closer to being ready to be fielded, between the exoskeleton equipment and other goodies. However, suuuure wouldn't mind some .30cal goodness since I'm out and don't have to carry that shit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep laughing, but the ICSR is a real thing and begins in 9 days.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What is your experience with trying to prepare a COTS rifle for Government testing?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
And the Army decides to stay with the M4. LOL
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#30]
We will never have a conventional war with Russia, so what's the point?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#31]
That stuff the Russians are proposing are just mock ups, bad ones at that. No doubt they will try and field something in the coming years, but we're talking a few decades. That being said the Russians certainly are trying to think outside the box, with their T-14 using an unmanned turret and packing a lot of tech that other designs don't have. The Russians are finally throwing cold war designs to the wayside which is something to be concerned with. We won't go to war with Russia, but they will export these systems.

But somehow I don't think going to a decades old cartridge which many here with experience seem to think is inefficient is the right way to go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Or we could go back to 19O3A3 Springfields and learn to shoot.
View Quote
Ahhh, you make the joke, isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oh, that. No, this is just vaporware at some Russian expo where they stole all the design stuff from other western vaporware demos. The ICSR is to defeat body armor, specifically Russian. But Milley isn't about common sense. He's about creating an national security emergency to generate funding for a force that got reliant on its GWOT money a bit too much.
View Quote
The Great Vaporware Race is on.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Call of Duty is really popular in Russia?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
One can hope, but all evidence points to this being a done deal and happening this time.

The fact that Phase I only plans to fire 210 rounds, and Phase II plans to fire 25k-35k in 7 rifles says a lot about how badly they want this to be done in a timely manner.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#36]
So they're going to wear full faced helmets in 120 degree ME conditions?
How big will the wagon be they have to pull behind them that carries the car batteries and AC window unit??
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The Russians are reading old Dale Brown books!!!
View Quote
As a former Dale Brown book reader, I laughed at this. I know exactly what you are referring to.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Buck Rodgers had shit like that, plus he had laser guns and friggin twiggy
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Right after the XM-8
View Quote
Maybe, Maybe not.

We'll know more soon, Phase I begins in 9 days.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One can hope, but all evidence points to this being a done deal and happening this time.

The fact that Phase I only plans to fire 210 rounds, and Phase II plans to fire 25k-35k in 7 rifles says a lot about how badly they want this to be done in a timely manner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is based on your Goverment testing experience?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is based on your Goverment testing experience?
View Quote
No, but like I said we'll all know for sure soon enough.

But don't just blow this one off yet, everything points to this happening.

I believe a lot of these same arguments were said about the MHS and look where we are with that. The XM17 is being issued out to the 101st in November.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#45]
lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Erin Grey is much sexier than Twiggy.

And it's Rogers.  And Twiki...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buck Rodgers had shit like that, plus he had laser guns and friggin twiggy
Erin Grey is much sexier than Twiggy.

And it's Rogers.  And Twiki...
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#47]
What round for Spartans?

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
7.62 XM1158 clearly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#49]
They can probably afford to make a few dozen of them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#50]
If this is actually the reason why then Milley is fucking retarded.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top