User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best pet we ever owned, smart as hell and excellent around kids.
View Quote
This is spot on. Great dogs
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#2]
They have the second highest incidence of stomach/gastric torsion of any breed, other than the Great Dane. I.e., their stomach will flip over inside their torso and it requires surgery within a few hours or else they die.

So get her gastropexied if you get a chance.

They are all gorgeous and very striking dogs.

Puppy mill and backyard breeders seemed to have churned out a bunch because they look so awesome. So you've got some that continue to be bred for hunting and then other dogs that look like a Weim but have no desire to hunt, work too close, and can't hold a staunch point.

Hopefully you either have a farm or a fenced backyard.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two.  They're smart, compassionate, and energetic dogs.  They will test you and pretty much anyone at your house.  Mine work together to run distractions to get at my beer or food.  We had baby gates long before we had a baby so we could keep the one dog out of the kitchen.  One we got from a breeder she's tumor prone, the other was a puppy mill rescue.  She's kind of dumb but sweet and mischevious.  They are protective and will bark like lunatics if a moth farts within a half mile of the house.  We have bark collars now, so they don't wake the baby up every 15 minutes.  

They're great dogs, but they're not for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one that lived to be 14.5 years old.  Exceptionally active.  Very smart and trainable.  Very loving and good with kids/smaller dogs.  Very protective of the house.  As good in the field as she was in the house.  She did have separation anxiety that was pretty bad.  If I ever got another dog, a weimaraner will be at the top of the list.  Not to repeat but they require a lot of exercise and daily activities or they will own you.

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I know of many. My sister owns one. Hers was the runt. She is a little hyper than most. They are great bird dogs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Weims appear to be no different than my Setter in this regard.    The dog is scary smart, solves problems, and anticipates the future.   I put it on par with a 4th grader.     But he has no tolerance for silly "come, sit, stay" games which would make him appear unintelligent to the unwashed.
View Quote
You described my weim to a T. She is an incredible problem solver and very smart. She knows how to open doors and even figured out how to open one of the child gates we have. She uses her teeth to slide the slide lock and lifts up the gate while moving back. She learned the mechanism and motioned needed from watching me open it numerous times.

She's a giant pain in the ass, but at the same time a wonderful dog.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF is a dag is your keyboard screwed up or are you just ingnorant
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
They are pretty clever as dogs go.   One of the games we play is I throw their kong ball out of the sliding doors in the living room and close the doors.  Then I tell them to go get it -  they run downstairs, through the laundry room, out their dog door, around the house, search the front yard till they find the ball, and bring it back through the dog door.

Our last Weim lived to be right at 15 - she could open the front door (thumb latch) and cabinets.  She had a thing for bread - a loaf of bread somewhere she could get to was noted, marked, and swiped at the first opportunity.

If you Facebook, there is at least one Weimaraner page.  People from all over the world post up their goofy shenanigans.  Weim FB group

Our first Weim, Jack Frost, died of bloat.  He was 15 and we made the decision to put him down rather than subject him to the surgery and difficult recovery.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Way more wired than a lab.  Friend used to own several, I thought they were hyperactive and dumb.
View Quote
As a 25+ year Weimaraner breeder,  I disagree with this statement. Mine are,  and always have been completely mellow.  Is it possible that labs are somewhat lethargic in temperament? 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great Dog, Great companion, crate train when you are gone, they are very smart and need activities and stimulation
View Quote
 And.... this. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't know what a "Weinaramer" or a "dag" is. A German pretzel, maybe?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
My current brace:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Great dogs as long as you keep them active.  I would take ours out to state land and have her follow me in my jeep on the trails for miles.

Also they seem more susceptible to bad breeding issues than some other dog breeds.  Heath issues like hip dysplasia or mental issues like separation anxiety.

Personally I would not recommend getting a rescue weim for your first weim.  Only get one from a reputable breeder that you can show you it's lineage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Spelling in title fixed. Typing on phone sometimes an issue for me!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks all. Going to go visit the dog sat and see how she reacts to me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Beautiful dogs period, super loyal, great guardians, super hyper, did I say super hyper!!! They'll keep you company every where. Magnificent dogs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Read the posts--they are a sporting breed, bred for one thing only:  hunting.

This means they will be "biddable"--eager to please, and will be GREAT around people.  BUT--they are not a house pet.  They NEED/MUST run as they are athletes and driven to hunt.  If you don't hunt, you can't comprehend what this means.  Read the posts, and read between the lines--and you will realize they are NOT a house pet.  
View Quote
TOTALLY disagree that they can't be house pets. I live in suburbia, and my Weim has never been hunting. She's obedience-trained but thats it. Smart, and loyal to a fault.  Would she be best suited as a gundog? Yes.  MUST she be? Nope.

Does have a very strong prey drive... kills anything that moves when she's in the backyard. High energy as well, and can become destructive if not taken for runs/walks. As others have said, separation anxiety is real with weims. Excellent with children as well.  Tolerant, patient, and while usually loves to knock people over- extremely gentle with small kids.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Here are two quick videos that will provide a 30,000 ft overview. 

video 1

Weim Video 2
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Beautiful dogs period, super loyal, great guardians, super hyper, did I say super hyper!!! They'll keep you company every where. Magnificent dogs.
View Quote
Is she with a Weim rescue? Providing she's even still available Saturday and you decide the breeds not for you it would be a good idea to contact the closest Weim rescue for them to save her. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Way more wired than a lab.  Friend used to own several, I thought they were hyperactive and dumb.
View Quote
the few I've been around I would characterize them as precisely that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
WTF is a dag is your keyboard screwed up or are you just ingnorant
View Quote
You've been here for 4 years. You should really know this by now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#23]
they call them silver Labs around here so they can charge retarded money for them. goldeyes and everything
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Yappy, dumb ass dog that needs a shit ton of exercise or they get destructive in my experience.

I'd pass on one as a family pet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
they call them silver Labs around here so they can charge retarded money for them. goldeyes and everything
View Quote
Silver labs are different.  Lots of speculation they have weim blood in them - but it's a different critter.  At least thats my understanding.

ETA - kind of like blue weims.  lots of speculation that they have dobie in there. The Weimaraner Club of America does not recognize them as weims (Of course, the WCA doesn't recognize the Longhair either even though they are recognized by every other country)
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Very hit and miss. Way hyper. The smartest dog I ever owned, but also had one that was dumb as dirt.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Silver labs are different.  Lots of speculation they have weim blood in them - but it's a different critter.  At least thats my understanding.

ETA - kind of like blue weims.  lots of speculation that they have dobie in there. The Weimaraner Club of America does not recognize them as weims (Of course, the WCA doesn't recognize the Longhair either even though they are recognized by every other country)
View Quote
Blues, are actually a reccessive gene disorder. 2 blues are not guaranteed to produce any blue offspring. 

Prior Weim blue
Current, regular
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you run 10+ miles a day?

Do you hunt, a lot?

If no, they aren't for you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Disagree completely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This means they will be "biddable"--eager to please, and will be GREAT around people.  BUT--they are not a house pet.  They NEED/MUST run as they are athletes and driven to hunt.  If you don't hunt, you can't comprehend what this means.  Read the posts, and read between the lines--and you will realize they are NOT a house pet.  
Disagree completely.
I think what he's saying is that you can't just keep them cooped up all day in the house and expect them to be well-behaved, docile companions. They need an outlet for their energy, and the best way to expend that energy is by hunting (obviously, since that was what they were bred to do). You could also do agility or dock diving or something like that, but regardless, they need to be mentally and physically challenged on a daily basis to be well-behaved and happy. And if you don't do so, they get neurotic and destructive. You can't treat them like a throw rug or a toss pillow and expect them to just hang out on the couch all day.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This thread has me wanting a puppy...
View Quote
Having a puppy makes you not want to have a puppy.

I have a 3 month old Presa and can't wait for the puppy phase to be over, he's a spaz. My Rott is still kind of a puppy (7 months) but he's way more mellow than the new little terror.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#31]
You guys are making me miss Samuel Friedrich very much, you basterds.

Lived to be 15 and is resting beneath a shade tree now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love Weimaraners. My HS girlfriend had one but he was unusually stocky so his name was Tank. Hyper as heck but I loved playing with him. Affectionate dogs.

I have two Beagles but one is a Beagle/Weimaraner mix. He looks like a Lemon Beagle but has a Weimaraner nose and blue eyes. His personality matches a Weimaraner too. Beagles aren't too affectionate (unless you have food) but Gus is a cuddle slut. He's extremely affectionate and never leaves my side. The pure breed Beagle not so much.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_0804-276400.JPG

He was neglected when we got him. He was all skin and bones and they kept him in a cat carrier. He's come a long way...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180048/IMG_0805-276401.JPG

If I didn't already have two dogs I'd get a Weimaraner in a heartbeat. Well, my sister moved in with her Dachsund and a cat so technically I have three dogs now....
View Quote
The spice must flow!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a Weim/Husky mix. I love this pup. Tons of personality, energy, very intelligent, quick to learn if not a bit stubborn, obedient, cuddle-whore and extremely protective/loyal to us.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They are pretty clever as dogs go.   One of the games we play is I throw their kong ball out of the sliding doors in the living room and close the doors.  Then I tell them to go get it -  they run downstairs, through the laundry room, out their dog door, around the house, search the front yard till they find the ball, and bring it back through the dog door.

Our last Weim lived to be right at 15 - she could open the front door (thumb latch) and cabinets.  She had a thing for bread - a loaf of bread somewhere she could get to was noted, marked, and swiped at the first opportunity.

If you Facebook, there is at least one Weimaraner page.  People from all over the world post up their goofy shenanigans.  Weim FB group

Our first Weim, Jack Frost, died of bloat.  He was 15 and we made the decision to put him down rather than subject him to the surgery and difficult recovery.
View Quote
Mine loved stealing bread...She would hide the bags, too.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Excellent dogs. My Zora died 5 years ago and I still miss him. He was high energy as a puppy but easily trained. The will bond with you like no other. If you put your hand straight down at your hip, that is the spot for their head. It will always be there. If you have kids, you will appreciate them more. Mine spent every day dressed up for tea parties. He was very protective of my wife and daughters when I wasn't home. We now have an Irish setter. Similar characteristics but a bit more of a clown.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Hannah my Weimaraner was much like the Doberman I grew up
with... very procetive and very judgemental.   Both dogs would
get between me or the kids and anyone she didn't trust and stay there.  My second weim was almost as protective.  They are very protective and family oriented.  Do not get one unless you are willing to have the dog as a part of the family 24/7 because they need to be with you, not in the yard alone.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think what he's saying is that you can't just keep them cooped up all day in the house and expect them to be well-behaved, docile companions. They need an outlet for their energy, and the best way to expend that energy is by hunting (obviously, since that was what they were bred to do). You could also do agility or dock diving or something like that, but regardless, they need to be mentally and physically challenged on a daily basis to be well-behaved and happy. And if you don't do so, they get neurotic and destructive. You can't treat them like a throw rug or a toss pillow and expect them to just hang out on the couch all day.
View Quote
Actually, weims do quite well as indoor dogs.  Mine loves to get outside and will go all day, but he's just as content to lay on the couch all day.  He is an absolute couch potato.  I think it is overstated that if you don't run these dogs 24/7 they go bonkers and wreck all your shit.

ETA: But occasionally, they'll wreck your shit just to be an asshole.  But other breeds I've had tend to do that too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#38]
My two will run/swim all day.  They are equally content holding down the couch and unraveling TP rolls from the accidentally open bathroom door.  I swear they know how to open our doors with lever handles and one baby gate.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My two will run/swim all day.  They are equally content holding down the couch and unraveling TP rolls from the accidentally open bathroom door.  I swear they know how to open our doors with lever handles and one baby gate.
View Quote
They do know how to open doors, I had to remove all my lever style handles from my interior doors and my inside handle on my front door. 

These pups are smarter than most humans??
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks all. Going to go visit the dog sat and see how she reacts to me.
View Quote
@WhiskeyTee

How did your visit go?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@WhiskeyTee

How did your visit go?
View Quote
@johnh57

Visit went extreamly well. She has been in our home since the fri before the scheduled visit (I asked to move up the meeting) Took her to the vet for a full physical/blood draw evaluation last tue and she passed with flying colors.

She was more of a re-home than a rescue I learned after getting the final address info etc. Young couple, late teens/early twenties and expecting didnt feel like they could handle her and a baby.

After a week with her I know why. She knew her name (which we have changed) and how to sit, once in awhile!  She had never been on a leash, spent all of her time in the back yard except when they were home. Both worked. And he admitted he had not worked with her much at all.

She weighed in at 56lbs. (Needs to gain a couple per our vet) Is on the darker grey scale of color. And smart as hell. In the last week 1/2 she has learned her new name, sit, stay MOST of the time. Leash maners are improving daily. Leave him alone! (in regards to our other dog, a senior lab of 12 yo that is probably in his last month of life with nerve degeneration) down, crate, pen, etc

Spousal unit calls her my shadow!  If i am home that dog is on my ass!  I move she is right there. Heal is coming along nicely as she wants to be right by my side at all times.

She goes in in morning for spay.

Has only chewed to destruction one of my Mountain Bike water bottles. Very soft mouth. Catch her occasionally with something she shouldnt have in her mouth. But it isnt chewed up.

Bad habits such as jumping on people, beds, furniture are all but corrected. Also nibbling for attention isnt gone. But reducing bigly ever day

My wife works from home so she gets good guidance all day.

I dont have a photo hosting set up so if someone pm's me thier email i can forward a couple pics to post.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Awesome report WhiskeyTee. Sounds like the little lady has a new home!

I have never mastered the sit and stay training.  They all sit for me on command, for about a nanosecond - maybe less.

Our pup has taken a liking to my wifes shoes - especially left shoes.  I think she got about 3 pairs so far - including a less than a week old new pair of work shoes.

And the transformer for the recliner in the couch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#43]
If you want to keep them happy, they need to run.  And run.  And run.  And run and run and run and run and run.  Then run some more.  If they can't run at a hundred miles an hour for a few hours every day, they have a way of going insane.  Don't get one unless it's going to RUN.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. That energy will be used...it's up to you to make sure they don't use it on your furniture or cable wires or your wife's $100 shoes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:28:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It does absolutely no good to bother with good advice.  Those who ask for it, when it involves canines as pets, have already made up their mind, and will even argue against those who know.  After numerous threads of this type I've decided it's not worth pissing away the time typing.  No more.  
View Quote
So when a bunch of people who actually own Weims in the present disagree with you, they're wrong?

K
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A friend of my Fathers used to have one.  This was in rural San Diego County, the little town of Ramona.  That damn dog could point, flush and retrieve quail like no other.  If you stepped out of the house with a shotgun the dog would immediately jump in the back of the pickup in hopes of going to hunt.   I have never seen a better quail dog.
View Quote
As an ex denizen of Pacific Beach, you are in God's country my friend. That's a perfect place for a Wiemaraner. They are hyper dogs but incredibly loyal and up there with retrievers as bird dogs. My only advice is to stay away from mixed breeds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Blues, are actually a reccessive gene disorder. 2 blues are not guaranteed to produce any blue offspring. 

Prior Weim blue
Current, regular
View Quote
You got that bass ackwards.

The grey/silver color is recessive.

The blue is the dominant gene.

The Punnet Squares are illustrated here:

http://blueweimaraner.com/genetics.html

EDIT:  look at my avatar.  That was from my last litter in the spring of 2014.  Dame is blue.  Sire is silver/gray.  Out of the 8 pups in that litter exactly 4 were silver and 4 were blue.

The previously litter was 11 pups.  7 silvers and 4 blues.

Eleven weimaraner pups at feeding time

I have been admonished here in the past for feeding the pups like that with people saying that's how you make them food aggressive.

Never had any problemsn but the neat kind Pavlovian side effect was every one of those pups still come running when they hear that whistle.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Disagree completely.
View Quote
He's exactly right. They were originally bred for hunting. Like other breeds they fell victim to their appearance being more important than their hunting abilities. The same thing happened to the Irish Setter and is currently happening to the Labs and setters. If you get a weimaraner and you're not a hunter make sure the hunt has been bred out of it or you and the dog both will be miserable.

I once hunted with a female that was an incredible dog. I decided I'd wanted one to hunt with and bought a male. For hunting it wasn't worth taking home. Great pet though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:14:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Our last Weim lived to be right at 15 - she could open the front door (thumb latch) and cabinets. She had a thing for bread - a loaf of bread somewhere she could get to was noted, marked, and swiped at the first opportunity.

View Quote
haha...my weim has a thing for bread as well, its damn near her favorite treat.  she also likes salads...(essentially romain with olive oil and vinegar)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top