BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Kind of feeling defeated. I feel like I am doing everything right and not losing weight. Been 5 weeks now of being on a nutrition plan and doing 6 days a week at a place called Hew Fitness. Working with an instructor and intense workouts.

My diet plan is 1900 calories
195g of protien
100g of carbs
80g of fat

The way I have been eating I usually end up with less carbs and under my calorie intake.

Any ideas? Thanks
View Quote

Calories in vs Calories out - not a lot of magic.  You have given us your diet breakdown which I read as:

195g of protein (min 900cal)
100g of carbs (min 400cal)
80g of fat (min 300cal)

You are looking at eating 1600cal to hit your self prescribed macros.  There isn't a lot of wiggle room there but it's do-able.  The other side of the equation is calories out.  Do not eat back the calories you "burn" from exercise.  

Using a  Mifflin St. Jeor BMR calc, for a male that's 5' 4" and 235lbs at 21y old your BMR would be 1980cal, at 50y old your BMR would be 1830cal.  This is for a sedentary person, and lets face it, you didn't get to be 40% BMI from having an active lifestyle.  

If you stay on your current 1900cal diet, you'll probably just float around 235lbs constantly.  If you want to see change, meaningful change, you'll need to be REALLY fucking working your ass off every single day which isn't likely.  To burn a 20% excess of your calories (400cal) you'd be looking at maintaining a 80-90% max heart rate over 30min.  No offense, but I haven't met many people at 40% BMI that can maintain that intensity for that long.  

The other option is to pull back on your caloric intake more.  Reduce down to 16-1700cal a day.  You don't need 195g of protein a day.  At 40% BMI you are at 141lbs of lean tissue.  Using the industry standard of ~1-1.2g of protein for each pound of LEAN BODY MASS you only need like 140-165g a day.  

Pulling 50g of protein out of your daily diet to align you with fueling your protein needs according to your lean body mass and not your fat, you'll shave roughly 200cal off your diet.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Kind of feeling defeated. I feel like I am doing everything right and not losing weight. Been 5 weeks now of being on a nutrition plan and doing 6 days a week at a place called Hew Fitness. Working with an instructor and intense workouts.

My diet plan is 1900 calories
195g of protien
100g of carbs
80g of fat

The way I have been eating I usually end up with less carbs and under my calorie intake.

Any ideas? Thanks
View Quote

Those macros are seem way high to lose weight. I’m 6 foot 198lbs and have lost 37lbs. 20 carbs 1500 cal. Two meals a day no snacking. Im never starving anymore.

Good luck man! Don’t give up!
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those macros are seem way high to lose weight. I’m 6 foot 198lbs and have lost 37lbs. 20 carbs 1500 cal. Two meals a day no snacking. Im never starving anymore.

Good luck man! Don’t give up!
View Quote

Agreed, I tried to break it down more in my reply but this is the jist of my thoughts too.

When I went on my deficit I was hovering at 1600cal a day, with 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, and averaging 600cal of cardio activity a day with one day a week (Sundays) being a 90min session where I maintained 95% max heart rate for 30min of that 90min burning 1200cal in that session (it was my self punishment day for letting myself get overweight).

At 1600cal a day, averaging 600cal of cardio every day, I was losing 2-2.5lbs a week.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Agreed, I tried to break it down more in my reply but this is the jist of my thoughts too.

When I went on my deficit I was hovering at 1600cal a day, with 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, and averaging 600cal of cardio activity a day with one day a week (Sundays) being a 90min session where I maintained 95% max heart rate for 30min of that 90min burning 1200cal in that session (it was my self punishment day for letting myself get overweight).

At 1600cal a day, averaging 600cal of cardio every day, I was losing 2-2.5lbs a week.
View Quote

The problem with losing weight at that rate and that much cardio is you are probably losing as much muscle as you are fat.  At 40 years old and 5 11 at 200 I can lose at 2550.  It is very slow think 1 to 2 lbs per month but at the same time I am lifting hard and cardio 3 or 4 times a week.  Doing it like this my lifts are still going up (slowly) so Im not losing a ton of muscle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditch the cross fit  OP.   maybe do it once a week if you're so inclined,  but scale back to a more conventional weight training effort 3x a week with some long and steady Zone 2 cardio 4x a week.

Get rid of those carbs
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a such thing as to little calories? I seem to hoover around 1100/day
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been on and off keto since 2015.  For the past 6 months I am doing more low carb than true keto (Higher protein to fat ratio).  I use myfitness pal to track my food (which means I weigh and measure everything).  I am 5'7" 145 pounds and turning 50 next month.  

My calories usually come in at around 900-1000 daily and I do 1 meal a day (dinner).  Except, I do have 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream in my coffee every morning.  I have cut my alcohol down to 2 ounces of Turkey 101 after dinner.

I would like to get down to 135 or so, since my BMI index says between 125-145 is ideal.  This leaves room for cheat days on weekends
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is there a such thing as to little calories? I seem to hoover around 1100/day
View Quote

There is metabolic adaptation that will slow your BMR down if you are too steep of a deficit.  There's also (as someone just above mentioned) the loss of lean muscle when you are too steep in a deficit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Down 5lbs since starting this thread.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Down 5lbs since starting this thread.
View Quote

Good for you.

Now start exercising. Keep your carbs low, protein high, low/mid fat. For a hard cut, you'll want to be in that 1200-1400 calorie range.

If I were you I'd shoot for a real 1 to 1.5 hour workout where you push yourself.  Get on an elliptical or bike and push yourself for 30 minutes (if you can string 3 words together in a sentence while doing this...you aren't going hard enough). Next hit strength training for 30-45 minutes.  If you're new to free weight exercises, watch some YouTube videos.  Form reigns supreme.  Nobody cares how much weight you're throwing up.  The 5x5 training program is easy to start with. Keep your heart rate up by limiting time between sets (45 seconds).

Do the above 5 days a week.  You'll lose fat, you'll be stronger.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Down to 231.4lbs

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

15lbs down
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Take body measurements.  Specifically belly, waist, and Neck.

Weight can fluctuate based on hydration and bloat levels.  So if you are weighing yourself daily you may experience days of discouragement when the scale goes the wrong direction.  But the scale is just measuring your overall weight.

You are trying to lose *FAT*, so body measurements help identify if you are muscle wasting, fat burning, bloated, or just fluctuating on hydration levels.  

Also, you really want to monitor your lean muscle mass.  If you start seeing measurable losses in muscle mass you probably want to rethink your plan.  You want to lose fat, not muscle.  Gaining muscle back is HARD.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Congratulations!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Lost 25 lbs since Jan 1,  cut back on boooze, beer.  Eating better quality foods.

Start wegovy 6 weeks ago.  It is a ramp up type drug, and I am only on the second ramp.  It's ozempic, but higher dose. Hoping it helps,  would like to lose another 45
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Good Job OP keep it up!

I started doing Keto almost 2 months ago.  Lost 30lbs as of this morning (215 to 185 - 5'7" - 35 years old) and work out pretty light 4-5 days a week for 20-30 mins.  I've been going back and forth between Keto and Carnivore...usually I do Carnivore for a few days after having a cheat meal to get me back in the zone (like Sunday I went out for burgers with a friend and I ate the bun and had a beer to go with it ).

I think I can stick with Keto for a long while but I'll be honest kind of worried if/when I stop doing it.  I'm sure if I do it long enough I'll get used to a way of eating that will leave out all the crap but still think about it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I did keto for a long time and lost a lot of weight. I stopped keto and the results were disasterous. I'm not doing keto anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I did keto for a long time and lost a lot of weight. I stopped keto and the results were disasterous. I'm not doing keto anymore.
View Quote

You're doing well now --    is there anything specific you can attribute the turnaround to ?    Or did it just take patience and staying the course and eventually things started clicking?

Curious- im having some weight loss issues now myself
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're doing well now --    is there anything specific you can attribute the turnaround to ?    Or did it just take patience and staying the course and eventually things started clicking?

Curious- im having some weight loss issues now myself
View Quote

I've completely stalled out again. I'm not sure what the hell is going on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Seems like increasing my macros(protien, fat, and carbs) has helped get the fat lose moving again. I also need to be moving more other than just my gym time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You keep confusing weight and body fat. Read carefully what you said, then read carefully what I said. This isn't a philosophical debate, these are facts. What OP should or shouldn't do is a philosophical debate.
What I said is that you can lose FAT while in a surplus (which is true) and you can actually gain FAT while in a deficit too. The problem is when you say "weight" you're lumping together fat and muscle, and I am not- which is why I very specifically say FAT and not WEIGHT.

Now, with that said, there actually are some studies suggesting it's possible to gain weight while only at a small deficit due to the hormonal response of certain foods...but that's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is the guy who is 170# of chewed bubblegum at 20+% BF who over the course of a couple years gets to 190# and 10% body fat. Do you think that guy did it while in a deficit?

What I would recommend to OP would be to clean up quality of food and instruct him to eat until satiated and no more. Do that for a while and see how it goes. Re-evaluate in a couple months. He may need to get strict on counting calories. For "clean" eating I'm always a fan of paleo/primal despite the dumb name, and keto works well too but is not sustainable for some people.
View Quote

This should be copy paste quote for all weight lose threads. Well said

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good Job OP keep it up!

I started doing Keto almost 2 months ago.  Lost 30lbs as of this morning (215 to 185 - 5'7" - 35 years old) and work out pretty light 4-5 days a week for 20-30 mins.  I've been going back and forth between Keto and Carnivore...usually I do Carnivore for a few days after having a cheat meal to get me back in the zone (like Sunday I went out for burgers with a friend and I ate the bun and had a beer to go with it ).

I think I can stick with Keto for a long while but I'll be honest kind of worried if/when I stop doing it.  I'm sure if I do it long enough I'll get used to a way of eating that will leave out all the crap but still think about it.
View Quote

I think the real take away from keto or carnivore is understanding what kind of extreme results/effects you see from limiting or eliminating carbs. I do not either are reasonably sustainable for a lifetime, but you can develop a diet which is reality based but with the understanding that the SAD is poison and that CICO is silly in its simplicity and it’s why people fail over and over with diets.

CICO mantra:
One calorie less than maintenance a day eating nothing but Twinkies will make you loose weight
One calorie over maintenance eating nothing but steak and chicken and you’ll be a fat ass
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:21:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I skimmed through your thread, saw it was old but figured I would reply anyway.

Numerous things work, as any thread on this site about diet/fitness will show.  Most people face problems of overcomplexity, following dogmatic thought, or believing having some almost religious belief in weight loss.

The goal is never "weight loss", it is maintaining or building lean body mass while losing body fat.  Recovery is important, especially when "losing weight".  You are unable to work maximally when you are restricting calories and continue that day in and day out over an extended period of time.  

Resistance/weight training is necessary: 3 days a week/full body is fine. Simple programs work well.  Long cardio sessions are unnecessary.  Conditioning 2-3 days a week using some form of HIIT/Conditioning (Rower, Prowler, etc.) is good. Use walking as a recovery method 3+ days a week. Your workout sessions should probably never be more then 45 minutes to an hour.

Diet is extremely dogmatic, everywhere.

Avoid processed foods.  Avoid added sugar or anything with the numerous names of sugar in it.  Avoid anything with processed grains (flour, others in it).  

TDEE calculators are good for getting a general idea of caloric needs for different weights.  Pick sedentary in the calculator generally.

Protein requirements aren't as much as people think, most studies show roughly .64 to .82 grams per lb of lean body mass is all that is necessary.  

Carbohydrates are not evil.  Most people should eat a moderate amount of carbohydrates.  Do not eat sugar and extremely limit simple carbohydrates.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#28]
@sparky

Good luck Bro.  Keep it up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#29]
great job, congrats!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Finally got under 200lbs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome job man
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Dropped my A1C from 9.5 to 5.6 so that's awesome.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Carbs are the killer

Read the book Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It.

The caloric model is generally false.
There are many great reasons to exercise. Weight loss is not one of them.

In addition, the 18/6 intermittent fasting is fantastic for maintenance and when you remove the carbs, weight falls off.

Meat.
Eggs.
Greens (green vegetables).
Beans.

View Quote

Nailed it, replace the carbs with protein & fat, the weight will fall off you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nailed it, replace the carbs with protein & fat, the weight will fall off you.
View Quote

It's not just about losing fat. I'm trying to gain muscle also.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's not just about losing fat. I'm trying to gain muscle also.
View Quote

I'd focus more on retaining muscle while losing fat.  Then focus on building muscle while limiting how much fat you put on.  I don't care what diet you are on there are no shortcuts.  You might be able to build muscle and burn fat at the same time in the very beginning (newb gains) but over the long haul that goal isn't very sustainable/successful.

If you really want to put on muscle mass eat plenty of carbs.  Oatmeal, rice, red potatos, sweet potatoes, veggies, some fruit.

With keto people are excited when they drop all this weight at first but that part is water weight that will come back when you stop.  You obviously can lose a lot of weight on keto (caloric dependent of course to a degree) but it is not optimal for building muscle.  Carbs are protein sparing.  You can over do it for sure.

People get fat on carbs because they are eating loads of processed foods with the worst kind of carbs and the worst kind of fats.  If carbs are a weakness and you can't stick to healthy ones then by all means do keto.  

I'm training under a bodybuilding coach (just personal goals not competitive) and on my high carb day this week I ate 400grams of carbs, 50 fat, 200 protein.  Today is 250 carbs, 80 fat, 275 protein.  My rest day is 80 carbs, 40 fat, 180 protein.  It's shocking the hell out of my 175lb body.  I'm actually losing a little weight so I bet next week we will adjust it up.  

I'm sure testosterone plays a role.  I'm taking a pretty high dose (not competitive bodybuilder high it's prescribed to me).  So I might not get away with that otherwise.  

I went from a fatass to ultra lean (best guess 8% bf or less) in about a year.  Could have went faster but muscle preservation was a goal. At no point did I do low carb.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#37]
My personal best so far

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Know how I know your talking BS? "CICO has been thoroughly debunked." go look up some Greg Doucette videos on youtube hes spot on, has an annoying voice though.. ill give you $10000 dollars if you can lose weight on a 10000 calorie a day diet for a few months. you are straight out of your mind and have no idea what your talking about. its thermo dynamics, your body is a furnace and burns a certain amount of calories (different every day) but over all you consume less calories than you burn, you lose weight. Period. dont listen to this fool, has no idea what hes talking about.
View Quote

I like Greg but he's hardly reliable. This is the same guy that appears to have sold fake turkesterone (turkesterone is so ineffective that no one noticed the supplement had nothing in it) and basically said "well i asked my manufacturer for tests and they said it's all good bro, we tested a few once,  looked good).

He makes money shilling crap that doesn't work and causing drama.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm a fat boy.  I've always been thick and wide and frumpy looking.  I gain muscle pretty easy and fat very easy.  I got to 5'9" 280 fat. Knew i needed a change,  quit the only job id had,  got divorced, and hit the gym the same month.

Lost down to 200 but got strong, went on trt a few years later and i can honestly say losing weight on trt is the hardest thing I've ever done.  Harder than marriage, business, injury, divorce, anything.  

I look great at 200 pounds,  I'm about 220 now on the way back down. Steroids turn your body into a machine.  You process everything so efficiently. You work out to lose weight and just keep gaining muscle.  I took a year off,  got to 230 again.  Started working out again and lost 5 inches off my belly so far,  3.5 off my belt. But went from a large shirt to just barely started dabbling in 2xl. I barely even work out.  9 sets (3 excercises for 3 sets each),  3 nights a week. Cardio 45x5 a week.

For fatboys on trt, nutrition is 99.9% of the battle.  Be the bro. You are the bro. Some variation of 40 40 20 is my friend.

Glad to see you're losing finally.  Keep it up my friend.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Did a 3 rep back squats at 235 today. Personal best
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Bad knees and all.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm a fat boy.  I've always been thick and wide and frumpy looking.  I gain muscle pretty easy and fat very easy.  I got to 5'9" 280 fat. Knew i needed a change,  quit the only job id had,  got divorced, and hit the gym the same month.

Lost down to 200 but got strong, went on trt a few years later and i can honestly say losing weight on trt is the hardest thing I've ever done.  Harder than marriage, business, injury, divorce, anything.  

I look great at 200 pounds,  I'm about 220 now on the way back down. Steroids turn your body into a machine.  You process everything so efficiently. You work out to lose weight and just keep gaining muscle.  I took a year off,  got to 230 again.  Started working out again and lost 5 inches off my belly so far,  3.5 off my belt. But went from a large shirt to just barely started dabbling in 2xl. I barely even work out.  9 sets (3 excercises for 3 sets each),  3 nights a week. Cardio 45x5 a week.

For fatboys on trt, nutrition is 99.9% of the battle.  Be the bro. You are the bro. Some variation of 40 40 20 is my friend.

Glad to see you're losing finally.  Keep it up my friend.
View Quote

Maybe you have the test cranked up too high
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#43]
This was Fridays workout. It was a good one. 225 on the sumo deadlift.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Up to 255 on my sumo deadlift 3 rep set.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Since I can't go to the gym due to hernia surgery I have been doing  keto and walking/hiking.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Since I can't go to the gym due to hernia surgery I have been doing  keto and walking/hiking.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3025/Screenshot_20230222_053709_jpg-2720359.JPG
View Quote

Good luck man.  We're pulling for you.

I've got an inguinal that Iv'e had for years.  The only reason I haven't had it cut on is due to the protracted rehab time.  It hasn't grown, but I do keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3025/Screenshot_20230222_053709_jpg-2720359.JPG
View Quote

50 lbs that is phenomenal.

I'll bet you that:
You sleep better
You wake up with more energy
Your back and knees don't hurt as much.

Keep it going.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Good luck man.  We're pulling for you.

I've got an inguinal that Iv'e had for years.  The only reason I haven't had it cut on is due to the protracted rehab time.  It hasn't grown, but I do keep an eye on it.
View Quote

I went in for 2 hernias and the surgeon found 4 more. She was able to do it all robotic and i'm up and back at the gym a month later.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top