Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like my old secret is wrong.

Receivers are gutless turds. Even a 3 thousand dollar one. A flagship receiver use to have a pretty decent amp. Seems that's not that case anymore.

Still some decent deals to be had on processing/features. But the amp section sucks ass. My old denon 3802 that's 25 years old has more power than the shit being put out.

Not much of an audiophile if youre pushing shit you dont know about.

Nevermind, you're doing exactly what audiophiles do

OP probably has $300 speaker wires.

They were actually about 500 in 1990 dollars.

So what do you get by spending that much money on speaker cables?

Really nice speaker cables. Duh.

What does that even mean?

It means audiophiles don’t do science.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you not know what a flagship receiver is?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So been audiophile/video guy for a long time.  But you get great deals on flagship receivers this time of year.

Go to crutchfield and buy this years models they are closing out inventory. I’m talking a flagship 5k receiver for 2000 or less.

I mainly use them with other amps, because let’s face it. Receiver amps suck. But you can get great deals and use it as pre-pro

Some examples of those 'flagship receivers'?

What do you consider flagship. Make/model.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It means you could use the wire out of cheap Walmart extention cords and no own would ever be able to tell the difference in a blind test (or with coat hangers for that matter).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It means you could use the wire out of cheap Walmart extention cords and no own would ever be able to tell the difference in a blind test (or with coat hangers for that matter).

So I tried this a number of year ago.   Demo’d about 10-12 different cable solutions including an extension cord.   Sounded like mush.   Ended up with a 20 pair twisted solution.   Maybe payed 600ish for 10 foot runs
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:My old denon 3802 that’s 25 years old has more power than the shit being put out.
View Quote

Power?

My old favorite amp put out 3.2 watts per channel. My current favorites are a set of mono-blocks that put out a whopping 40 watts per channel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That does look pretty expensive. I would love to make something like that for my home. I'll have to give this some thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have details on that? I've thought about doing the infinity subwoofer type of deal since I have an unused hole in my Livingroom which goes down into the basement.

It was a precut DIY subwoofer kit from Danley Sound Labs offered for a limited time at a very nice discount. They do still sell it as a completed product, but $$$$.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/dts10/

That does look pretty expensive. I would love to make something like that for my home. I'll have to give this some thought.

If you already have a hole down to your basement your best bet is to go ahead and go the infinite baffle route. It'll be cheaper and give better performance. I would have gone that route myself, but didn't want to put a large hole in the wall / floor.

If you haven't already been there check out the "Cult of the Infinitely Baffled" forums. Lots of very good info there: http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

lol!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not much of an audiophile if youre pushing shit you dont know about.

Nevermind, you're doing exactly what audiophiles do

lol!

Buy these magnetic cable chairs that suspend your speaker cables.  The sonics are unspeakable!
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Crutchfield is local to me. Their HQ is right here in Charlottesville. They have an entire store full of things that have been returned and scratch and dent. May not have the box or all of the paper work but it's also considerably cheaper than the new msrp. I went in there once with a friend of mine, that was enough for me. Everyone raves about Crutchfield though. To me, it's all overpriced.
View Quote

Crutchfield has always been top notch for me when it comes to car audio.  Buy components and they give you wiring kits, mounting kits, and vehicle specific installation instructions.  Their prices are in line with other retailers, but they do have deals.

They will price match, offer 60-day price protection, and free shipping.  That's a pretty solid deal.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm hoping for a doorbuster type deal on a decent subwoofer. I could use one for home, and I could probably use another one at work. I have a rather large room which is hard to fill with sound.
View Quote

Monoprice.com has several of their Monolith Subs on sale with free shipping.

I’ve had the 15 for about 2 years now and have been really happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Blose

All of the highs and none of the lows. Those Bose systems have a frequency hole you could drive a truck through.

I like full range sound. How I get my low frequencies:
http://i.imgur.com/jC0d9vU.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had an audiophile show me different HT setups and sample some speakers and stuff.

Sounded like shit to me. Sounded like mostly treble and hardly any bass.

I dont really care what anyone says, bose sound good to me vs other high ened stuff.

Even the cheaper home theater systems sounds lots better to me.

Blose

All of the highs and none of the lows. Those Bose systems have a frequency hole you could drive a truck through.

I like full range sound. How I get my low frequencies:
http://i.imgur.com/jC0d9vU.jpg

You had me at Transmission Line.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stereophile magazine would routinely include Radio Shack lamp cord as a rated product under the speaker wire category.  Even they had a sense of humor about it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So been audiophile/video guy for a long time.  But you get great deals on flagship receivers this time of year.

Go to crutchfield and buy this years models they are closing out inventory. I’m talking a flagship 5k receiver for 2000 or less.

I mainly use them with other amps, because let’s face it. Receiver amps suck. But you can get great deals and use it as pre-pro

The flagship product from a particular manufacturer. Aka the best they produce for receivers. It’s a pretty common term. .
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My Yamaha Aventage just gave out after 13 years. It had a right to I guess.

It was replaced with a Samsung Sound Bar with subwoofer and two back speakers (all wireless - HW-Q990C).  

It's OK, but I do miss my Yamaha. But it was fun to yank out all the speaker wires.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Yamaha Aventage just gave out after 13 years. It had a right to I guess.

It was replaced with a Samsung Sound Bar with subwoofer and two back speakers (all wireless - HW-Q990C).  

It's OK, but I do miss my Yamaha. But it was fun to yank out all the speaker wires.
View Quote

Searching their deals there’s some good stuff. You’re paying for the processing.

The amps are still super weak.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The flagship product from a particular manufacturer. Aka the best they produce for receivers. It’s a pretty common term. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh...I know that...what make and models do you consider worthy of your audiophile status?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you already have a hole down to your basement your best bet is to go ahead and go the infinite baffle route. It'll be cheaper and give better performance. I would have gone that route myself, but didn't want to put a large hole in the wall / floor.

If you haven't already been there check out the "Cult of the Infinitely Baffled" forums. Lots of very good info there: http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have details on that? I've thought about doing the infinity subwoofer type of deal since I have an unused hole in my Livingroom which goes down into the basement.

It was a precut DIY subwoofer kit from Danley Sound Labs offered for a limited time at a very nice discount. They do still sell it as a completed product, but $$$$.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/dts10/

Thanks a ton. I'll definitely be looking into this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Duh...I know that...what make and models do you consider worthy of your audiophile status?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a receiver. It doesn’t belong  

I already said my 2ch stereo is in different room. One can be an audiophile and videophile like myself at the same time.

HT can’t be a good stereo. Just like a good stereo can’t be a good HT. That’s why you have seperatec systems/rooms.

Believe me I’ve tried to mix them. It just doesn’t work.  Example my Logan’s are great stereo speakers. But they suck for HT.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think some of y'all know what "audiophile" means..................................

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think some of y'all know what "audiophile" means..................................

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577645/MC901_1_jpg-3042526.JPG
View Quote

Lol. The little one?  That’s what you posted?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Big surprise, it's now a dick, I mean amp, measuring contest.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I am happy with my Klipsch sound bar and wireless sub.

My opinion (and wallet) mean nothing in this conversation.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had an audiophile show me different HT setups and sample some speakers and stuff.

Sounded like shit to me. Sounded like mostly treble and hardly any bass.

I dont really care what anyone says, bose sound good to me vs other high ened stuff.

Even the cheaper home theater systems sounds lots better to me.
View Quote

Bose is High End???

All Highs, No Lows, Must be Bose.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm hoping for a doorbuster type deal on a decent subwoofer. I could use one for home, and I could probably use another one at work. I have a rather large room which is hard to fill with sound.
View Quote

Hsu Research VTF 15 MK2 should be on sale.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Receivers are gutless turds. Even a 3 thousand dollar one. A flagship receiver use to have a pretty decent amp. Seems that’s not that case anymore.

Still some decent deals to be had on processing/features. But the amp section sucks ass. My old denon 3802 that’s 25 years old has more power than the shit being put out.
View Quote

I miss my old Sony STR-DA90ESG sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hole to the basement = install a rotary sub.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got rid of all that shit and put up a soundbar. Good enough for 99% of the stuff I do now.
View Quote

Yeah, the older I get all the other crap is just distracting and waaaaay more loud.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Always wanted to hear this system : https://www.wired.co.uk/article/despacio
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like Crutchfield for vehicle applications, they'll have something that works/fits and can improve the sound or act as a replacement for OEM stuff that can be a pain in the ass to just add a drop-in.  I've bought a couple of Polk items there, as I found a decent deal.  Other than that, Bose loudspeakers from Sam's; local KLH surround.  Denon receiver off of woot, and I couldn't be happier (unless I could travel back in time and wear more ear protection).
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Shop away…

https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=avreceiver&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.desc
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Akitika Makes some nice stuff for those who know how to build.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, if you have a spare 17 grand just burning a hole in your pocket. That kind of money I'd use for guns.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a dumb question for you audiophiles.  Why does my Sony HT receiver put out so much heat when it's not even being used.  I realize it's in standby mode, but I was surprised at how hot it was when I was hooking up a new cd player the other day.  Is this normal?  Do all receivers do this?
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a dumb question for you audiophiles.  Why does my Sony HT receiver put out so much heat when it's not even being used.  I realize it's in standby mode, but I was surprised at how hot it was when I was hooking up a new cd player the other day.  Is this normal?  Do all receivers do this?
View Quote

Possible bias current in the amps which is always present. But shouldn’t be when in standby. My amps are always warm even when nothing is being played.

Eitherway just make sure there is plenty of clearance around it and don’t stack something on top of it. They can get quite hot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sure, if you have a spare 17 grand just burning a hole in your pocket. That kind of money I'd use for guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No money fires in my house of that size. However, looking at some of the installs of the infinite baffle subwoofers, I think the hole in the floor I have will be suitable to make this work. It will be a good project for me and the kids.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Yes they do.  Just two channel though.  I built the preamp a few years ago.  Still sounds amazing.  I really should get a better amp.  I wish they would come out with some monoblock kits.  I suggested such to Dan (the owner) but so far nothing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s a class a/b more info here https://www.ooberpad.com/blogs/audio-video-tips/what-are-the-differences-between-class-a-ab-and-class-d-amplifiers-explained
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It’s a class a/b more info here https://www.ooberpad.com/blogs/audio-video-tips/what-are-the-differences-between-class-a-ab-and-class-d-amplifiers-explained
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. It’s running class A at low input. But why is the bias current there if it’s standby?
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Receivers are gutless turds. Even a 3 thousand dollar one. A flagship receiver use to have a pretty decent amp. Seems that’s not that case anymore.

Still some decent deals to be had on processing/features. But the amp section sucks ass. My old denon 3802 that’s 25 years old has more power than the shit being put out.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-na5BiRBhpuH/p_158AZ7KES/Sony-ES-STR-AZ7000ES.html?XVINQ=BP1&XVVER=1FUX&awcr=76897285395054&awdv=c&awkw=Sony%20ES%20STR-AZ7000ES&awmt=e&awnw=o&awat=&awug=&msclkid=ee3a487412f01c65596a2d12b4f5fea3
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nelson Pass open sources all his plans.   My current setup is 350
View All Quotes

Of Pass Labs fame?
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#41]
How much better would a high end setup sound over my Sonos Arc/Sub/Era 100 setup?
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Right. It’s running class A at low input. But why is the bias current there if it’s standby?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably hdmi ?   Idk.   In any case it’s nothing to worry about
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How much better would a high end setup sound over my Sonos Arc/Sub/Era 100 setup?
View Quote

It’s really about your experience.   I have heard 5k systems I thought were awesome, 250k systems I thought suckd and everything in between.    

Most people can’t hear or don’t have the attention span to hear the difference.   It’s a dying hobby
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It’s really about your experience.   I have heard 5k systems I thought were awesome, 250k systems I thought suckd and everything in between.    

Most people can’t hear or don’t have the attention span to hear the difference.   It’s a dying hobby
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An audiophile can make a 2k stereo sound incredible just by moving the speakers around and picking the listening position.

No need to change gear. Just make the most of it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes they do.  Just two channel though.  I built the preamp a few years ago.  Still sounds amazing.  I really should get a better amp.  I wish they would come out with some monoblock kits.  I suggested such to Dan (the owner) but so far nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have their Pre-amp, Two of their Power amps. and a Crown Amp for the lows.

I come out of the pre-amp and then into 3 Mini-DSP units to break it into 7 Channels.
L/R Mid-High, L/R Lows, Center, Rear L/R

99% of my listening is music, and most don't realize that Surround is encoded into L/R.

With High-efficiency speakers, I have to throttle it way back since it's deafening loud
(as in painful) if I turn it up.  A whole lot of headroom and is very clean to listen to.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So what do you get by spending that much money on speaker cables?
View Quote

Fucked out of about $190.00?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top