Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ultimate Early 80s Arcade Tribute
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Great innocent times.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Just looked it up, 25 cent in 1983 is 66 cents today.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
This was my mall, Lakehurst Mall in Waukegan IL and it was demolished in 2003.  The video is shit quality. The dude who made it had no idea how to work a camera, but at least someone got some video before it was torn down.   And to top things off the great political minds of Waukegan IL said they were going to replace it with "high end" retail stores.  Yep... they built a Walmart.  Which I suppose is considered "high end" retail for the current population of Waukegan.  

Lakehurst Mall Waukegan, Illinois June 2003
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In wondering if we live in the same town. Lol. I'm also in VA and the same thing has happened at the mall nearby.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The mall near us formally high end anchor store is now a huge shot clinic.

In wondering if we live in the same town. Lol. I'm also in VA and the same thing has happened at the mall nearby.

Nordstrom at DTC?  

PF Changs and Dicks sporting goods are pretty much the only viable thing there now.  Even the tilted kilt went tits up (it was the worst TK I’ve been in though).

I remember seeing DTC being built in the late 90’s through the trees on Rt 7 going to Lansdowne and thinking “they’re building a mall, out here?” Lol.

All the malls in our area are gone, even if they’re still technically open.  Wont step foot in the manassas mall (Uptown Alley having its own entrance).  Potomac Mills is another story altogether.  

Tysons seems to be the exception though.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you guys remember walking into closed shopping malls in the 1980s? You'd come in through Macy's or Nordstroms anchor stores, and the first thing you'd run into would be the tray of colonges.

You'd take a sniff and soon your nose would be overloaded with the smells. Then you'd hit your self with some Drakkar Noir or Cartier and you'd stink like a nightclub all through the shopping trip.

Eat at the food court, check out the girlies... Maybe catch a movie.

No more - most of the indoors went south when the rates went up and the cut-price big-box retailers wrecked retail business in the late 1990s, then "teens" started engaging in gun battles and "wilding." Now they're just wastelands, where the overly-tatooed flatbills hang out with their baby-mommas.

I miss the 1980s -they were simpler times.
View Quote

I do too.  

I remember when our malls first got "food courts."  

And the chicks with big hair, feathered bangs, jean jackets, "Come follow me eyes," etc.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked at the multi-plex up on the second level, it sucked cuz I had to wear a suit that didn't fit. My buddy got me to finally ask out the cute girl who worked at the pizza place across the mall. He demonstrated on a cardboard cut-out at the record store at the mall. Her house had a pool and we would go over and swim there when her hot but stuck up girlfriend was there. Her older brother was kind of a dope, but he was cool about stuff. We eventually graduated and got married. She went to college and I got a job in the 1990's driving for delivery company or some similar innocuous job that a fat guy could get (I ate a lot of pizza). She went to college and we got a house in the 'burbs. She stayed really hot and everyone wondered how a fat, stupid slob like me could keep a fox like that. I eventually got a job at the mall as a mall ninja and she became a lawyer or fbi agent and matured into a really hot milf. I started smoking alot of mary jane in the garage and people forgot me. Sometimes I go down to the mall and look at the hot girls. Now they're tearing it down.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bannister Mall in Kansas City, MO was the place we hung out in the 80's.  It went downhill thanks to the usual "bad element" driving shoppers away.
View Quote

Remember Olga’s,  they had kickass Gyros on homemade pitas.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]

@Turd-Ferguson.      OMG, my girlfriend (now wife of 35 years) worked at Taco Casa.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I go to Finland a couple of times a year on business.  One of the things that fascinates me is how busy their malls still are.  

Amazon really did kill the local store.
View Quote

It wasn't amazon. You can't grab an orange julius on amazon. You can't go to the arcade with your friends on amazon.

I can't say what it was but it wasn't amazon.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 80's in general were pretty bad ass.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I remember when Spencer's had cool shenanigans like poo or boom cigs and the exhaust pipe whistles were fun too!
View Quote

Spencers was cool back in the day, had a lot of prank gifts... last time I was in one was at least 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aladdin's Castle is all I needed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You mean amazon and walmart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I go to Finland a couple of times a year on business.  One of the things that fascinates me is how busy their malls still are.  

You mean mass transit from the ghetto.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Malls were pretty busy right up until the early 2000's.

We used to go a lot before ordering online really took off.

I prefer the online ordering.
View Quote

I sort of still miss the mall experience
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked in the arcade and had keys to it along with the mall security gate and the front doors to the mall. My boss was cool and I knew the security guys so we would have after hours get togethers in the game room with all sorts of party favors. I would open the games so we could access the credit button.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I was born in 1985 so most of my memories of malls were in the 90's. And they were pretty much the same as you described with the 80's. I also remember when I was 5, people smoking inside the mall. Not in the clothing stores, but in the main lobby area outside of the stores, you could. But me and my friends would hang out at the mall as well as young teens. And even as a teenager I knew that at the mall you are going to pay top dollar for everything, and amazon wasn't a thing then. Walmart was around, but it wasn't nearly as big as it is now either. I did buy a lot of things at the mall when I was with my friends as a teen, but I knew I was getting ripped off and I could get the same thing at another store for a much lower price. I think that's what everyone realized and that started the decline of malls way before amazon existed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Spencers was cool back in the day, had a lot of prank gifts... last time I was in one was at least 10 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember when Spencer's had cool shenanigans like poo or boom cigs and the exhaust pipe whistles were fun too!

That it was.  Liked that store.

Grew up in MA - we had the South Shore Plaza for our local mall.  Spent a lot of time there, one of the biggest anchor stores had a cafe tucked away on the top floor that had good food (Filene’s?  Jordan Marsh?).  Sears was still a draw, had items in stock and didn’t suck.  Sam Goody for music.

There was another store that was a brick & mortar version of Sharper Image, but I can’t remember the damn name.  It had all kinds of cool shit (from an 80’s/90’s standpoint).
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 80's in general were pretty bad ass.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.

Which is why there are malls in finland, despite amazon and other online merchants.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I worked at two different malls as a youth, and I saw the shift happening almost in real time at the second mall in the early 90s.

More and more mall security events, more and more times violence at the mall made the news.

Since I worked at the mall I always entered and left through a side entrance, walked through the "back channels" to the rear of the store I worked at. So most of my "entering the mall" experience mirrored Dawn of the Dead more than anything else, complete with mostly zombified fellow mall workers shuffling through the corridors.
View Quote

Malls died around here when public transportation started putting stops at the mall.
Much youth, so diverse killed the malls here.
Man i miss Prestonwood Mall.
There is the shell of a down the street from me now that is being demolished and they are going to put in some high dollar mixed use living/shopping/dining place in. Can't wait for my lease to end so i can but a house 50 miles out of the city.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It wasn't amazon. You can't grab an orange julius on amazon. You can't go to the arcade with your friends on amazon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Napster around the turn of the century was the death of the music stores
Myspace and IM in 2003 meant you could (theoretically) talk to your friends online
Facebook in 2004 meant you could make new friends online

Of course the promise of social media was always bullshit, but malls never recovered.

I'm sure public transit played a role too, but in more of a filling the vacuum way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Millers Outpost!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Malls were already shit by the late 90s when I was a teen. Don’t miss it, better selection and cheaper prices online.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I worked at the multi-plex up on the second level, it sucked cuz I had to wear a suit that didn't fit. My buddy got me to finally ask out the cute girl who worked at the pizza place across the mall. He demonstrated on a cardboard cut-out at the record store at the mall. Her house had a pool and we would go over and swim there when her hot but stuck up girlfriend was there. Her older brother was kind of a dope, but he was cool about stuff. We eventually graduated and got married. She went to college and I got a job in the 1990's driving for delivery company or some similar innocuous job that a fat guy could get (I ate a lot of pizza). She went to college and we got a house in the 'burbs. She stayed really hot and everyone wondered how a fat, stupid slob like me could keep a fox like that. I eventually got a job at the mall as a mall ninja and she became a lawyer or fbi agent and matured into a really hot milf. I started smoking alot of mary jane in the garage and people forgot me. Sometimes I go down to the mall and look at the hot girls. Now they're tearing it down.
View Quote

This is an amazing post

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Air conditioning,  escalators!   They had freaking escalators!  And the toy store that was always located next to Spencer's Gifts.  I had to wait until I was 16 to be allowed to go into Spencer's.   In the 80's the mall was it.  On the weekends eating at the food court before catching  a movie.  Girls... girls..girls
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Came to post this... glad @jordanmills has my back!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should put that to a tune
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Cinnabon, Sbarro pizza, Walden Books, the arcade.

More recent, a local mall had a Dunhams Sporting goods store I was on good terms with, they'd let me dig through their milsurp stuff in the back and cherry pick. Had to leave the mall and drive around to the back of the store to pick up your merch. Can't be walking through the mall with a cosmoline covered $59 M91/30 (or three).

Nearest mall now is a ghost town, with a single anchor store (Bass Pro). The place is massive, and completely empty. Somewhere on the webz is a recent video of some urban explorers going through the closed part.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes...now the cologne/perfume is dispensed from a nozzle in the ceiling...right into the face of your service electrician.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Always a trip through Spencers gifts with a stop at the pin up girl posters, on every mall trip. Then Sears tool section.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Grew up in MA - we had the South Shore Plaza for our local mall.  Spent a lot of time there, one of the biggest anchor stores had a cafe tucked away on the top floor that had good food (Filene's?  Jordan Marsh?).  Sears was still a draw, had items in stock and didn't suck.  Sam Goody for music.

There was another store that was a brick & mortar version of Sharper Image, but I can't remember the damn name.  It had all kinds of cool shit (from an 80's/90's standpoint).
View Quote

I went to high school right near there. The store you're thinking of was Brookstone. They had some cool stuff. Always had the perpetual motion machine in the front. Lord & Taylor had the cafe. My wife worked there in h.s.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I kind of miss it. Simpler times for sure.
View Quote

This, I agree!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Who hasn't been in this situation?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Ninja weapons!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@WVUSIG

Yep, the one off Green Bag Rd. When i lived there, They built another mall on the other side of town that effectively kill Mountaineer Mall.

Mountaineer Mall was my go to place growing up, though.  Need to get back to MoTown and see the changes. Don knots blvd???  It'll  always be Beechhurst to me!
View Quote

@skink

When the Walmart that was connected to the Mountaineer Mall was replaced, that mall took it's last breath. Sad, too, as I loved that mall as a kid in the 80's and 90's. Morgantown Mall, in Westover, is still kicking but not doing well -- especially with the pandemic, although it is still better than Meadowbrook Mall.

I lived in Morgantown from 2000 to 2007 while in school and the changes to Morgantown during that time were unreal. The changes since make those earlier changes seem miniscule. Just a fair warning, when you visit, it will look like a completely different town, particularly on the 705 going to the Mileground and Sunnyside is pretty much no more. Take a Google Maps Street View through town -- you won't recognize it, unfortunately. Thankfully, I lived there when Nick's Canteen still existed, the legendary parties on Grant Ave were unabated, and Mario's Fishbowl still had it's magic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The local mall was THE place to be on Friday night in the 80's.  

Dinner at Chick-fil-A, couple laps around the mall chasing girls, arcade, maybe a movie.  The older teens cruised around the outside in their cars, my buddy's older brother had a 1988 Iroc-Z, it was the envy of everyone.
View Quote

It seemed like everyone had a Camaro or a Monte carlo SS or a Firebird of some type, simpler times for sure I miss those days.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I went to high school right near there. The store you're thinking of was Brookstone. They had some cool stuff. Always had the perpetual motion machine in the front. Lord & Taylor had the cafe. My wife worked there in h.s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grew up in MA - we had the South Shore Plaza for our local mall.  Spent a lot of time there, one of the biggest anchor stores had a cafe tucked away on the top floor that had good food (Filene's?  Jordan Marsh?).  Sears was still a draw, had items in stock and didn't suck.  Sam Goody for music.

There was another store that was a brick & mortar version of Sharper Image, but I can't remember the damn name.  It had all kinds of cool shit (from an 80's/90's standpoint).

That’s it!

Good memory. Good times were had. Small world too.

Haven’t been to the plaza since last century .  Wonder what it’s like these days.

ETA - there was a cookie shop by the Sears entrance that was amazing.  Always had fresh, hot, melty goodness.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cell phones, video games and a shift in culture and yes, to an extent, online retailing killed malls. We still have on in Hartford that is busy
with high end retailers and no empty stores, some people still like to go to malls just not the same people that used to.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Panda Express and ruling the foosball table at the arcade.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do you guys remember walking into closed shopping malls in the 1980s? You'd come in through Macy's or Nordstroms anchor stores, and the first thing you'd run into would be the tray of colonges.

You'd take a sniff and soon your nose would be overloaded with the smells. Then you'd hit your self with some Drakkar Noir or Cartier and you'd stink like a nightclub all through the shopping trip.

No more - most of the indoors went south when the rates went up and the cut-price big-box retailers wrecked retail business in the late 1990s, then "teens" started engaging in gun battles and "wilding." Now they're just wastelands, where the overly-tatooed flatbills hang out with their baby-mommas.

View Quote

Brings back memories
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here is some nostalgia for you. CBS special from 1982. A bit slow in spots, but it hits all the major points of 1980's mall life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbZtwie3hPo
View Quote

I grew up less than 5 mins away from there.

It sure has changed. It was immune to what a lot of other malls faced, but now time is catching up. It is in great repair still, but vacancies are creeping up and the teens have made it not so family friendly on weekends.

Tuesday morning? Still nice and pleasant. Friday at 7? have a QRF on stand by.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This was my mall, Lakehurst Mall in Waukegan IL and it was demolished in 2003.  The video is shit quality. The dude who made it had no idea how to work a camera, but at least someone got some video before it was torn down.   And to top things off the great political minds of Waukegan IL said they were going to replace it with "high end" retail stores.  Yep... they built a Walmart.  Which I suppose is considered "high end" retail for the current population of Waukegan.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh-s0OOitN8
View Quote

Who would have thought Belvedere Mall would outlast Lakehurst?

And Walmart is indeed high end compared to what's in Belvedere Mall these days.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I do too.  

And the chicks with big hair, feathered bangs, jean jackets, "Come follow me eyes," etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do too.  

The new trend is stand alone food courts, the developers are calling them "food halls." One just opened up out this way. They seem to be targeting the food truck people with rents that are cheaper than other fixed locations, and trying to avoid the big fast food chains. At least, for now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#47]
For all the people posting about Aladdin's Castle there is still one in operation at a mall in Quincy Illinois. At least there still was about a year and a half ago when I was there. According to an employee I spoke with they were pretty sure it was the last one in operation.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes I ‘member. I wore parachute pants and had a mullet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Malls were already headed down before Amazon became a big thing. Retail had already had a large shit to strip mall stores and such or the so called "outdoor malls". In the area I grew up the people with jobs moved out from the city or further away from the malls and left behind the ones you see now in large fights at the mall.

Otherwise known as white flight. I worked at a mall in high school and it closed soon after 35 years ago. They built a new mall further down the road 10 miles away. Then that partially shut down and it became part of the new police HQ. So they built anothef mall 15 miles away down the same road almost out of the city entirely. It's still open but its days are numbered.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Top Top