User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Just one last thought before I flap my arms and fly away. If people REFUSE to believe anything they become complete and total pawns of their Government.

Witness the majority of citizens of Iraq. They would never believe that their beloved leader and Government would do anything bad to their own people. Even at his trial many Iraqis won't believe what is going to be told by his victims.

...so be it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If there was time travel, I would go back in time and convince my previous self to go back in time in the future to that very same spot, and I would do that a billion times until I had a billion versions of myself in one spot, where my collective billionness would design and build a Super Mega Space Battleship of Doom and use that to conquer the known universe. Oh wait, I did do that, in the future... or was it the past? Either way, consider yourself warned.
View Quote

Would you give yourself the courtesy of a “reach around”?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My apologies to anyone offended. NO, I don't believe that Pres. Bush lost in FL, it was the opinion given by the author saying to check the voting demographics of the Gore/Bush election to illustrate the protagonists of the "civil war" in a subtle manner. I despise liberals and everything they stand for.
View Quote

I despise idiots - to each his own.

If you follow the writings of Adair, Hawkins, Kiko, and the top physicists, all agree (very recently) that time travel is inevitable. They feel the secret is locked in the "string theory", or the "theory of everything" that no one has come up with yet..
View Quote

And there's an example of the kind of idiocy I despise.

Please cite some examples of work by leading physicists (at major universities) that definitely say that backwards time travel is possible.  (note, not forwards time travel, since that is trivial, and the theory for that is well established)

Interestingly, if you read the work of real physicists, they pretty much all dismiss string theory as kooky.  If you read about string theory, you quickly realize that it's not a theory at all.

But feel free to ignore me - I'm probably part of the conspiracy to keep the truth from you. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#5]
There are a bunch of theoretical physicists working on string theory. I'm not sure who you would classify as "real." I'm guessing you're using real and reputable in the same context.  Over 300 physicists are working on the theory world wide.

The problem with string theory is it forms a nice neat package for the math of unifying all the forces, once the math to assemble and solve the equation is invented and/or discovered, but there is the small matter of observation. Without observation the theory cannot be tested, and the methods of observation haven't been determined yet.

Other than being incomplete in its math and not observable, it's a nice theory.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are a bunch of theoretical physicists working on string theory. I'm not sure who you would classify as "real." I'm guessing you're using real and reputable in the same context.  Over 300 physicists are working on the theory world wide.

The problem with string theory is it forms a nice neat package for the math of unifying all the forces, once the math to assemble and solve the equation is invented and/or discovered, but there is the small matter of observation. Without observation the theory cannot be tested, and the methods of observation haven't been determined yet.

View Quote

Thank God someone out there doesn't think I'm a complete idiot. By the way, the careers of theoretical physicists at major Universities depend on the "grants" given their departments. They are not inclined to "step on too many toes..." by supporting radical new ideas.

And the Navy's "Philadelphia Experiment" involved time travel BOTH FORWARD and BACKWARD.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's NOT a theory.  A defining characteristic of a theory is that it has to be falsifyable.

If it is not falsifyable, it is NOT a theoyr.  It is a story, fairy tale or a philosphy, but not a theory.  Sorry- that's the fundamental definition of the word "theory"
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank God someone out there doesn't think I'm a complete idiot. By the way, the careers of theoretical physicists at major Universities depend on the "grants" given their departments. They are not inclined to "step on too many toes..." by supporting radical new ideas.
View Quote

Riiiiggght. It's all a big conspiracy.  [rolleyes]

Ever heard of tenure?

Departments generally do not give grants -  the kind of grants that physicists need are large government or other competetive grants, not departmental.

Research careers are controlled by your ability to publish in major journals, not departments.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Research careers are controlled by your ability to publish in major journals, not departments.
View Quote

Hey, DK!  Do you suppose you could get a grant to answer duffuses with crazy "theories" on an internet board? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote
Departments generally do not give grants -  the kind of grants that physicists need are large government or other competetive grants, not departmental.
View Quote

Turboman: Never said Departments GIVE grants. See above. Corporations or the Government (Military) give the grants to Universties/Departments to work on projects they determine. If results do not support desired outcome, no more grants. Tenured Professors (who lost grants) don't get fired but there will be a substantial reduction in their allocated research time.

Use "Google", check "Philadelphia Experiment" and eat crow.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh my GOD, this thread has got to be the strangest yet.

turboman:  Al those concepts you claim "wouldn't have been commonly known 4 years ago" were all commonly discussed at least 7 years sago, when I was last in school.  Heck, I first read about "string theory" in grade school in the '80s!  The one exception would be Cray - and that model number still does not exist, nor does it seem to follow established naming conventions for Cray's high-end platforms.

BTW, we are ALREADY engaged in WWIII!  Amazingly, this guys didn't seem to feel fit to mention Sept. 11, 2001 and the subsequent cocncerted US-led effort to curtail the rise of Islamic Fundamentalist terror networks.

You say the Philadelphia Experiment is classified "secret" - is that supposed to be a big deal?  I have held a "secret" clearance all of my adult life.  My current job requires a "top secret" clearance.  Even that means very little compared to what you seem to think it would mean.  "Secret" classification would only impress someone with ZERO clue as to how the government operates, and a slightly loony bend.

Finally, you lack the ability to figure out how to post a link - and I am supposed to trust your ability to detect BS in a nutcase website?  Sorry, you are a no go at this station.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Philadelphia Experiment= Carl Allen = Bullshit
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tenured Professors (who lost grants) don't get fired but there will be a substantial reduction in their allocated research time.
View Quote

"reduction in allocated research time"  what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Use "Google", check "Philadelphia Experiment" and eat crow.
View Quote

Yeah - and I'll be sure to not forget my tinfoil hat to keep out the invisible mind-control rays too. [rolleyes]  If it says something on the internet I guess it must be true.

Seriously - are you really an adult?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, DK!  Do you suppose you could get a grant to answer duffuses with crazy "theories" on an internet board? [:D]
View Quote

That would be pure genius!

I've often wondered if there's some neat stuff I could study at ar15.com - but so far, nothing. [:D]

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It's NOT a theory.  A defining characteristic of a theory is that it has to be falsifyable.

If it is not falsifyable, it is NOT a theoyr.  It is a story, fairy tale or a philosphy, but not a theory.  Sorry- that's the fundamental definition of the word "theory"
View Quote

I guess you missed the humor in the whole thing. Try not being wrapped so tight and you might have found a bit of humor in my post.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I guess you missed the humor in the whole thing. Try not being wrapped so tight and you might have found a bit of humor in my post.

View Quote

Sorry - you were being quite even-handed, and I over-reacted.  It's a pet peeve of mine when people use the term "theory" incorrectly.

My bad - sorry I jumped all over you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#17]
scotty must have screwed up this guys beamup.
mcole
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#18]
[bs2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry - you were being quite even-handed, and I over-reacted.  It's a pet peeve of mine when people use the term "theory" incorrectly.

View Quote

No problemo. I was trying to make fun of it being a theory in a more circumspect manner.

For those who don't care about the techincal definition of theory, String Theory, as it is known, it's just a huge SWAG with at least five different variations on the theme that tries to unify all the forces of nature, quantum physics, the kitchen sink, etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Geeez... What started as a simple observation of an intriquing website that I thought the forum might enjoy has turned into a name-calling 'fest.

Yup. I'm an adult. Republican, lifetime NRA member and proud of it. 65 years old and happily retired in a hilly, wooded, rural subdivision with more guaranteed income then I can spend and a bunch of outdoor hobbies to keep busy. Even had a book published in my younger years.

It's disappointing there's such a "closed mindedness" apparent in this forum. The original pioneering spirit and inquiring mind that made this country great has died off. Or been diluted.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

No problemo. I was trying to make fun of it being a theory in a [red]more circumspect[/red] manner.

For those who don't care about the techincal definition of theory, String Theory, as it is known, it's just a huge SWAG with at least five different variations on the theme that tries to unify all the forces of nature, quantum physics, the kitchen sink, etc.
View Quote

That's my problem right there - I got no subtlety or sophistication.  I also have no social skills - which probably explains why I'm in academia in the first place [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's disappointing there's such a "closed mindedness" apparent in this forum. The original pioneering spirit and inquiring mind that made this country great has died off. Or been diluted.
View Quote

Maybe it's just me [;)]

Healthy skepticism and closemindedness are two very different, and completely unrelated, things.

I've got good reasons for mocking "string theory", for example - one of which is the fact that it doesn't meet the definition of a theory!!  Another one of which is that I've talked to physics professors and they all agree that serious physicists dismiss the people that study string theory as kooks.  Your opinions seem based on little more than hearsay, urban legends and incorrect assumptions.

I also don't think I am closeminded for not believing that there was a spaceship waiting behind the Hale-Bopp comet to pick up Marshall Applewhite and his followers?  Or for not believing that Miss Cleo knows my future?

But what do you care? - I'm just a rude ass on the internet. Don't worry about it.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Where's john Titor now ? There is a straight jacket with his name on it somewhere, here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Somebody lock this damn thread.  Everybody knows that time travel is a violation of federal law. [BD]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where's john Titor now ? There is a straight jacket with his name on it somewhere, here.
View Quote

He's already drank his Cool-Aid and been picked up by the mothership.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhh, not me.  Maybe you mistook my humor of that link for mockery.  It wasn't.  I usually always have a "research topic" in the works.  Noah's Ark, The Bible Code, The Bible, whatever.  Just looking for answers...

I just wonder who drew those diagrams of the time machine.

EDIT:  More - [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=59087&w=activePop[/url]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#27]
DK-Prof, you are dead wrong re: String Theory.  It is a valid theory, and it is "falisfyable."  If we had built the SSC in Waco Texas we would already know.  When the Euro's complete their version, we will know.

If it was 1980 then most physicists would doubt ST.  Not so today.  It is not five 'swags,' but a single unified view.  And that view is beautiful, more beautiful than anything in the universe.  It contains all.  It reconciles gravity with the other forces (electro-magnetic, strong & weak nuclear): a unified field theory.  The holy grail.  Is it the answer?  I dunno.  We will all know in about a decade.  

It started as a kind of glorified fact fitting, taking incredibly complicated concepts and finding commonality based on  obscure mathematics rather that empiricism.  But it kept growing.  If you think it is junk science you have been out of the physics world for twenty years.  The idea that you are talking to physics profs who don't get the implications is amazing.  Not at CalTech.  Not at MIT.  Not at Cambridge.  Not at UT Austin.  Not anywhere I have seen.

There may be old timers who are scared.  Remember Einstein was obsolete before he was known to the general public.  He never got quantum theory.

Physics geeks chime in!!!!

Turboman, please ...(deleted rant).  So many things to respond to, but... failure to "believe" does not make one a pawn of the government.  Quite the opposite, it is objective thought that has destroyed tyrants for the last several centuries.  "Belief" brings slavery.  Logic, facts, and the TRUTH will set you free.  The website you posted is a joke.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Ngog_Nrything:  ...you nailed it better than I ever could.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
So that gives me about 11 years to stock up on ammo and other essentials.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
DK-Prof, you are dead wrong re: String Theory.  It is a valid theory, and it is "falisfyable."  If we had built the SSC in Waco Texas we would already know.  When the Euro's complete their version, we will know.
View Quote

Can you provide some of these specific predictions that are falsifyable?  I am really curious.

I am by no means an expert on any of this, and physics is not my field (which is why I asked those for whom it is)

Turboman, please ...(deleted rant).  So many things to respond to, but... failure to "believe" does not make one a pawn of the government.  Quite the opposite, it is objective thought that has destroyed tyrants for the last several centuries.  "Belief" brings slavery.  [red]Logic, facts, and the TRUTH will set you free.  The website you posted is a joke.[/red]

View Quote

Thank you - you nailed it better than I ever could.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Can anyone make head or tails outta this?  I'll be back with the page link.
Edit: [url]http://johntitor.strategicbrains.com/Analysis.cfm[/url]
So where do we start? Well let us start with one of the greatest triumphs of the human mind, the great theorem of Pythagoras, a true pillar of all mathematics and physics. The theorem, which is applicable to right angled triangles in flat Cartesian (Newtonian) space takes the form of:

c^2 = a^2 + b^2

where a, b and c are the lengths of the sides of the triangle.

Next we will jump straight to Einstein's theory of Relativity which states that neither time, length, or indeed mass remain constant additive quantities when approaching the speed of light c. Our simple ideas of time and space come from the fact the we are so used to living in a three dimensional universe. Einstein showed that this was simply not true and in fact all the "foundational" three laws of Newton have to be fudged by the Lorentz factor

L_f = (1 - v^2/c^2)^-1/2

There are, however, certain quantities that do remain constant. These constants are related to four-dimensional quantities known as metric tensors. From this Einstein proved that space and time are two aspects of the same thing and that matter and energy are also two aspects of the same thing. From the second of these concepts we get the most famous equation in physics

E = mc^2

Now since time and space are aspects of space-time and we wish to travel through time and not build atom bombs we will leave E=mc^2 for the moment. To illustrate this, look at the extension of Pythagorean theorem for the distance, d, between two points in space:

d^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

where x, y and z are the lengths, or more correctly the difference in the co-ordinates, in each of the three spatial directions. This distance remains constant for fixed displacements of the origin.

In Einstein's relativity the same equation is modified to remain constant with respect to displacement (and rotation), but not with respect to motion. For a moving object, at least one of the lengths from which the distance, d, is calculated is contracted relative to a stationary observer. The equation now becomes:

d^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2

and this implies that the distances all shrink as one moves faster, so does this mean there are no constant distances left in the universe? The answer is that there are because of Einstein's revolutionary concept of space-time where time is distance and distance is time! So now

s^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - ct^2

and this new distance s (remember s stands for Space-time) does indeed remain constant for all who are in relative motion. This distance is said to be a Lorentz transformation invariant and has the same value for all inertial observers. Since the equation mixes time and space up we have to always think in terms of this new concept: space-time!

Then one runs into the problem of 'outside dating'. Meaning, as the traveler manipulates space-time, the rest of the universe ages normaly. Then we must take inter-dimensional transition into account. Once a hole is ripped into a dimensions fabric, it follows whatever entered the rip. Once the travler enters the new dimension, he commences his engines to reach the c speed (speed of light), and travels through time. The rip on the travelers side will stay in the same geographic location, while traveling through time, while the rip on the new dimension will follow the traveler. Once the desired time is reached, the travelar reenters the rip, and he has effectively traveled through time))

From http://communities.anomalies.net/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000024 posted 02-15-2001 11:45 AM by John Titor
The Physics of Time Travel:
View Quote

Cont'd
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#32]
cont'd
ACCELERATION = TIME DIALATION
As pointed out earlier, acceleration will produce time dilation. This can be observed by the “twins paradox”. As one twin stays on Earth, the other twin in his accelerating spaceship experiences a slower passing of time. When he returns to Earth, he is noticeably younger than his twin who aged normally in Earth time. This type of "time travel" (should have been proven already on this worldline) with atomic clock experiments. With sufficient power, this type of time travel will only provide practical displacement in a future direction. This type of time travel is also isolated to a single worldline. You will not meet yourself.

GRAVITY = ACCELERATION
As Einstein pointed out with his STR, the effects of gravity and acceleration are the same. Therefore, you will experience the same time travel effects in the twin paradox by being close to a large gravity source. In the atomic clock experiments mentioned above, the reason there was a difference in time was not because the clock in the plane was moving, it was because the clock in the well was closer to the center of the Earth. Constant speed is not acceleration.

LARGE GRAVITY = STATIC BLACK HOLE
The next step is to find a large gravity source to use in your time machine. Static black holes provide this type of power. As one twin approaches the event horizon or edge of the black hole, the other twin will watch him as he appears to slow down. He will notice his twin’s watch run slower until it stops at the event horizon. The twin moving toward the horizon will notice none of this and see his watch running just fine. Although possible, a trip into a static black hole will not take you to another worldline and it’s one-way. The force of gravity will crush you.

ROTATING BLACK HOLE = DONUT-SHAPED SINGULARITY
Fortunately, most black holes are not static. They spin. Spinning black holes are often referred to as Kerr black holes. A Kerr black hole has two interesting properties. One, they have two event horizons and two, the singularity is not a point, it looks more like a donut. These odd properties also have a pronounced affect on the black hole’s gravity. There are vectors where you can approach the singularity without being crushed by gravity. (For those interested in seeing a graphic of a photon trip through a Kerr black hole, try here) http://qso.lanl.gov/~bromley/nu_nofun.html

DONUT-SHAPED SINGULARITY = PASSAGE INTO ALTERNATE WORLDLINE
Another other more interesting result of passing through a donut singularity is that you travel through time by passing into another universe or worldline. Please see Penrose diagrams for Kerr Black holes or you can examine the calculations of Frank Tipler.

So now the problem becomes . . . where do we find a donut-shaped singularity?

A PONDERING HAWKING = MICROSINGULARITY
Steven Hawking proposed the existence of microsingularities that were created in the big bang. They were probably about the size of a proton and disappeared over the years due to an effect of radiation evaporation. (Yes, black holes do emit energy.)

HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS = ARTIFICIAL MICROSINGULARITY
When I first started posting online a few months ago, I said that major breakthroughs in particle physics were around your corner. Soon, CERN will bring their big machine on line and they will be smashing very fast and high-energy particles together. One of the more odd and potentially dangerous items produced from this incease in energy will be microsingularities a fraction of the size of an electron. (for those who would like to follow the developments at CERN) http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Welcome.html

ARTIFICIAL MICROSINGULARITY = LOCALIZED KERR FIELD
Through trial and error, and although they are quite heavy, hot and capable of putting out a great deal of energy (300 - 500 megawatts), it's discovered that these microsingularities can be electrified and captured. It is also interesting to note at this point that electrified singularities also have two event horizons. By spinning these various microsingularities, a localized Kerr field is created.

LOCALIZED KERR FIELD = TIPLER SINUSOID
By using two microsingularites in close proximity to each other, it is possible to create, manipulate and alter the Kerr fields to create a Tipler gravity sinusoid. This field can be adjusted, rotated and moved in order to simulate the movement of mass through a donut-shaped singularity and into an alternate world line. Thus, safe time travel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hell id play the market and make killing
View Quote

Nahhh, the much smarter approach would be to go back in time, put together a website, and appear on the Art Bell show...   [whacko]

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I propose the ARCOM Army invade Barbados in 2008 and establish a colony there for the duration.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can you provide some of these specific predictions that are falsifyable?
View Quote

John mentions that the 5100 had some sort of inbuilt ability to translate computer languages that was unknown or unpublished before 2036. The computer would then have been used back in his time to translate or fix broken computer systems.

Rarely, if ever, is software written on the system where it's going to run. This computer was available with APL, BASIC, or both. There are emulators even for my PocketPC that can run those languages, or provide a programming environment for those. By 2036, I expect quantum computers to be in place. I can't see why those wouldn't be able to run emulators.
Different angle: look at the huge Linux community. Difficult to believe that they wouldn't be able to fix any UNIX-kind of problem. If there even was one. If they even use UNIX.

"EMP took out a great number of electronic devices"

Future computers will NOT be based on electro-magnetics. A threshold for Moore's Law has already been reached. _Any_ advances in computer technology will have to be based on something different then cramming billions of transistor on a stamp-sized piece of plastic WITHIN THIS DECADE.

"One of the reasons I was sent to 1975 was because of the person I met [red]there[/red], not the technology."

If time travel was a common thing in 2036, he would have used "then", not there.

"I would like to hear questions like,
"What is family life like in the future? How does society deal with poverty?
Is AIDS, abortion and drug use still a problem?"

He mentions AIDS, yet neglects to mention that /other/ disease that's going to be a threat even worse than AIDS, 20 years from now?
Look at the past century: there was /always/ a new, unheard-of epidemic disease that sprung up, killed millions, disappeared or was defeated. Think Spanish Flu of 1918, AIDS, Ebola, our flesh-eating bacteria that are immune to any kind of anti-biotics (Google: Houston spider epidemic, first link, PDF), or look back at the plagues that, well, plagued Europe: Syphilis, Bubonic Plague and what have you.

"How far have computers and software progressed in 2036?
Good question! I would say the biggest difference is in the reliability of
the hardware and software."

See above. A huge leap forward (cough) as bionic quantum computers on every desk (and a chicken in every garage) would be worth mentioning, no?

"What type of money do you use in 2036?
Its not very different than it is now."

Except that it will be colored and made from plastic. There will be only 3 currencies in the world, the Euro, the Dollar, and I am not sure which one the third would be.

"Banking is based mostly around the community structure. There are no multinational
banking or computerized economic systems."

Then money "as it is now" (see above) would be useless. Economies without multinational
banking or computerized economic systems would have to revert to valuable metals (or beans, lengths of string, pretty rocks) or straight barter without computerized economic systems.

I'm bored now ;)
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you provide some of these specific predictions that are falsifyable?
View Quote

... all good stuff ...

View Quote

I'm sorry I was unclear, I was actually asking for specific falsifyable predictions from STRING THEORY - because I do not believe it is a theory.

This "guy from the future" crap is clearly the worst sort of nonsense, and this thread to me has now moved onto a discussion of string "theory"

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Does China have a manned space program between 2001 and 2036?

I believe they are pretty close to putting a man in orbit.

That happened in 2003
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#38]
So who wins the next superbowls?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm sorry I was unclear,
View Quote

Durn furriners! :-)

I was actually asking for specific falsifyable predictions from STRING THEORY - because I do not believe it is a theory.
View Quote

Sorry, not my forté. My current hobby is quantum mechanics: Emit one light particle, send it through one slot in a lead wall, and receive one particle on the other end. Send one through a wall with TWO slots, and you'll get TWO particles. But you'll have to hold your mouth just right, or you will observe waves instead ;)
I'll get right onto the String Theory, as soon as I've published my book bashing Hawking for over-simplifying everything :-)
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Does China have a manned space program between 2001 and 2036?

I believe they are pretty close to putting a man in orbit.

That happened in 2003
View Quote

China has been conducting unmanned flight tests of their Shenzyou capsule since 1999.

I knew their manned flight was imminent since 99.

I did think they would have done in in 01 or 02, they were even more cautious than they needed to be.

No suprises here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Scientific Theory: a theory that explains scientific observations; "scientific theories must be falsifiable"

String theory isn't a real theory yet. As a matter of fact string theory is kinda bass ackwards. Usually, you observe something and then come up with a theory to explain what you have observed. In the case of string theory, the scientists are waiting to observe phenomena that the string theory, or more appropriately string SWAG, would predict. So far they have found nothing. Physicists hope that if they keep colliding atoms together they'll see what string theory says they'll see. There are so many scientist involved and so many resources devoted to it because if it pans out then they will have been able to do what Einstein could not: unite the forces of nature under one theory. If it pans out, it will be a great step forward. Then again cold fusion would have been too.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Somebody lock this thread.  Everybody knows that time travel violates the Green Acres Conjecture and also causes My Mother the Car Singularities.

[whacko]

Besides, the ATF has banned all time machines manufactured after 1972, and any pre-1972 machine that journeys past 1972 loses its pre-ban status.  The only legal way to possess a post-ban time machine is to remove the flux capacitor and install a flash-exposer in its place.

[snoopy]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#43]
1911Shootist; Love your sense of humor. Will you marry me...?

deport: If you ever have a chance go through the Philadelphia Experiment web site (several) and check the bibliography at the end. It is very impressive.

The physics and hardware and amount of power used are clearly explained, in terms probably understandable to you, as well as catastrophic results. It's hard to believe (there I go again. Sorry) that it's a hoax. It's just too good.

I read it so many years ago much has been forgotten. But it definately described a dimensional displacement (time warp?) and recovery of a whole ship and crew.

It would be worth your time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Luke.... I am your father
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I apologize if someone has said this already, but.......your tinfoil hat is slipping.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Of course it all sounds like bullshit... but...

The things that do stick out are his mention of Mad Cow Disease (in 2001) and he hints at there being a pretty big problem with it in the (our) near future (as in, now).

The types that generally make up crazy stories and bullshit people on the net to this scale wouldn't recommend knowing a lot about firearms and having outdoor skills.  He talks like he at least has his head on straight regarding preparedness.  He knows a fair amount about how to respond to a SHTF situation, it seems.

Sure we all say it's bullshit because it has never happened before and many consider it impossible and I'm just as skeptical as the rest of you.  I think we should at least give it enough credit that we look at some of the stuff and form an opinion based on what we read instead of automatically waving the bullshit flag.

In the context that I read the comment about China's man into orbit, he was saying that it wasn't far off... for us in 2001, not for him in 2036.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I knew China was planning on putting a man in Orbit as far back as 1998.  They flew unmanned test of their capsule in 1999.  When you send up a rocket with an escape tower on top of it, it can only mean you are preparing to launch men into orbit real soon!

I am suprised they flew it 4 times before they sent a man up I figured they would have put a man in orbit in 01 or O2.  They didn't do it till this year.

I knew it was imminent and I am no time traveler.  That prediction proves he reads the news and nothing more.  I could have made it(and in fact, did!).

Don't take my word for it!

[url]http://www.astronautix.com/craft/shenzhou.htm[/url]

Shenzhou Chronology
01 April 1992 Chinese manned space programme authorised

The Chinese leadership decided that an independent manned space program could be afforded. The Chinese National Manned Space Program was given the designation Project 921. The 921-1 manned capsule entered full scale development in 1993 and the 921-2 space station in 1999. Only preliminary work was authorised on the 921-3 reusable spaceplane.

01 January 1993 Development of Shenzhou manned spacecraft begins

The 921-1 manned capsule entered full scale development in 1993 and the 921-2 space station in 1999.

01 December 1997 Chinese Astronauts Complete Training in Russia

Two Chinese astronauts completed their training in Russia and returned to China. They would act as instructors for China's own astronaut training program. At the same time the largest thermal vacum test equipment in Asia finished construction.

19 March 1998 Beijing Space Conference

Chinese papers at the meeting sketched details of future planned missions. China was likely to begin its manned flights with a single orbit around Earth, and later launch its lunar 'quest'. Existing Chinese launchers had the capability to send scientific devices, but not humans, to the moon -- it could take up to eight years to design a lunar spacecraft. Feasibility studies on trips to the moon and Mars had begun. Participants called for greater international cooperation in space and the lifting of an apparent freeze on China's participation in major joint projects. They resented China's exclusion from the International Space Station.

12 April 1998 Timetable for Chinese Manned Flight

A Guangzhou newspaper said that the first Chinese astronaut would fly by 2001. It also mentioned lunar and space station plans. This was the one of a series of reports about Chinese space plans of the period.

21 April 1998 Chinese Manned Spacecraft Launch Set for 1999

Preparations for the first test launch of China's first manned spacecraft were underway at the launch site, a Shanghai newspaper reported. It said the first flight would be launched in late 1999. The space cabin, telemetry system and power system had been developed in Shanghai.

06 January 1999 Plans for Chinese Manned Flight Officially Reported

The official Chinese Liberation Daily reported that a Chinese manned flight would take place "by the end of this century or the beginning of the next," . This would make China the first country in more than 30 years to join the United States and Russia in the exclusive club of manned mission launchers.

18 January 1999 Chinese tracking fleet upgraded

A sixteen month overhaul of China's space tracking fleet was completed in Shanghai. The upgraded ships were capable of global tracking and control with a 400-fold increase in data transfer rates. The fleet was now ready for support of the first test launch of a Chinese manned spacecraft. To support this, for the first time three Yuanwang tracking ships would be deployed in the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic Oceans.

12 February 1999 China to Test Reusable Spacecraft at the end of 2000

China planned to launch its own re-usable "space shuttle" with a maiden unmanned mission at the end of next year, said an astronomical engineer in charge of one of dozens of scientific research payloads that will be aboard. The engineer said the lift-capacity problems have already been resolved and he had been briefed on the cost of the Chinese shuttle but that he could not reveal it, as the information is classified. (AFP)

01 March 1999 Chinese Manned Space Plans

Zhang Heqi, the chief astronomer of the Chinese space program said that an earlier report regarding a Chinese 'shuttle' was incorrect - 'It is a manned spacecraft, not a shuttle'. There was to be an unmanned launch in one or two years. A manned launch would follow this test in the next few years.The first unmanned spacecraft might carry animals to pave the way for future manned flights. It was also reported that China had selected several astronaut candidates from PLA Air Force fighter pilots.

11 March 1999 Chinese Man-Rated Launch Vehicle Test Predicted Launch Vehicle: CZ-2F.

It was reported on the Internet that the maiden flight of a new version of the CZ-2E designed to carry a manned vehicle would be made by mid-1999.

01 May 1999 Manned Program Delayed Launch Vehicle: CZ-2F.

Far eastern newspapers reported an accident at Jiuquan Launch Center late May 1999. It was said that a fuel depot exploded, resulting in casualties and delaying the first manned vehicle launch originally scheduled for October.

09 June 1999 CZ-2F Photograph Appears on the Internet Launch Vehicle: CZ-2F.

A photograph of the CZ-2F manned spacecraft launch vehicle and its vertical assembly building was posted anonymously on the Internet. It was said to have been taken in May 1998 at the Jiuquan launch site by a contruction contractor. Some believed the photograph to be a phony but events later proved it to be real and a deliberate leak.

16 July 1999 Chinese Manned Program Announcement

Zhang Lihui, Director of Research and Development at the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC), said that a development plan for manned-space flight technology was issued by the Chinese State Council in 1992 and that China was on track to launch a manned space flight by early in the next century. This was the first direct official acknowledgement of such a program.

18 July 1999 New Tracking Ship Joins Yuan Wang Fleet

A new space tracking ship, Yuan Wang 4, was delivered to China Satellite Launch and Tracking Control General by the China State Shipbuilding Corporation. This was the fourth tracking ship in China's Yuan Wang space tracking fleet. The Yuan Wang 4 tracking ship was converted from the scientific survey ship Xiang Yang Hong 10. The announcment also contained the second announcement that the fleet would deploy for a major new operation (a test of a manned spacecraft) within the next year. The Yuan Wang 4 was 156.09 m long, 20.6 m wide along the mold-line, and had a displacement of 10,895 tons.

19 November 1999 Shenzhou Mass: 7,600 kg. Perigee: 196 km. Apogee: 324 km. Inclination: 42.6 deg.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's some scary things on John Titor:

I have read about John Titor for some time now.

Do I believe it?  No.

Have I found 1 thing to disprove it?  No.

Interesting tidbits:

JT HISTORY
-John posted and went on Art Bell long ago... before 9/11

CIVIL WAR
-John said the Civil War in 2015 or whenever would start in 2004 with Waco type incidents, and would slowly expand
-John said these Waco like incidents would be the result of the government thinking Americans wanted more security, but they were wrong
-He said the idea that Americans wanted more security would spawn from something involving the Middle East
-He said slowly over many years it would expand until eventually everyone realized it was a conflict that affected everyone in the country

[Overall, this is all plausible, and scarily enough events in recent years have actually gone along with John's story very nicely]

-He said mad cow disease would become a much larger problem
-He made it clear he didn't care if people believed he was a time traveler or not
-He said time travel would be a result of the things they are working with at CERN or whatever it's called... the particle accelerator
-John appeared to be well versed in physics and was actually looking for other scientist type people to share ideas and did not want to discuss the future much [whether or not he was smart I don't know, I'm no scientist, but a few people seemed to support his theories and stated that what he said about his time travel machine was theoretically how it WOULD work but no one has obviously done it yet]

THE COMPUTER THING
-John claimed he came back in time to 1975 to get a computer to translate old code, this is NOT far-fetched for those who understand computers.
SIMPLE EXAMPLE: I have a lot of old DOS computer games that are only 4 or 5 years old, and there's no way in hell my new computers can play them, even when loaded with DOS
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#49]
My post cont:

The unmanned first test flight of a prototype of the Chinese Project 921-1 spacecraft took place 49 days after the planned date of October 1, 1999. Shenzhou separated from its launch vehicle and went into orbit about ten minutes after lift-off. The spacecraft was controlled from the new Beijing Aerospace Directing and Controlling Centre. The spacecraft did not manoeuvre during the flight.

After 14 orbits of the earth, the Yuanwang-3 tracking ship off the coast of Namibia picked up the spacecraft's signal at 18:49 UT, and commanded retro-fire. The spacecraft passed out of range of the tracking ship nine minutes later. Its trajectory arced over Africa, skimmed the coast of the Arabian peninsula, and then over Pakistan, before re-entering over Tibet.

Following re-entry, the drogue chute deployed at an altitude of 30 km with the capsules soft-landing rockets firing 1.5 m above the ground. The capsule landed at 41 deg N, 105 deg E, (415 km East of its launch pad and 110 km north-west of Wuhai, Inner Mongolia), at November 20 19:41 UT. The spacecraft had completed 14 orbits of the earth in 21 hours and 11 minutes.

After the flight it was reported that not a single primary spacecraft system had failed, so none of the back-up systems were tested. The touchdown point was only 12 km from the predicted position. The soft landing braking rocket worked well - no damage was found to the capsule structure, heat shield or the seals. The jettisoned heat shield, parachute hatch, and drogue chute were found within 5 km of the landing point. The orbital module, which separated prior to retro-fire, continued in controlled flight until 27 November, when it decayed and reentered the atmosphere. A primary payload returned by Shenzhou were 100 kg of seeds, considered valuable to the Chinese after one day of exposure to the space environment. The Chinese space tracking fleet returned from the Shenzhou mission between 12 December 1999 and 4 January 2000. During their 259-day voyage, the four ships traveled 185,000 km and experienced some heavy seas while tracking and communicating with the Shenzhou for a total of 150 minutes. Additional Details: Shenzhou (18859).

30 November 1999 Shenzhou Chief Designer Revealed

Qi Faren, the General Designer of the Shenzhou had participated in the design of China's first satellite and was appointed the general designer of Chinese spacecraft in 1992. During the ensuing seven years, Qi directed and co-ordinated his thousand-strong team to '...make a breakthrough in China's manned space travel technology. We are now losing no time in furthering our research. We plan to send humans into space as soon as possible'.

04 January 2000 Chinese tracking fleet returns

The Chinese space tracking ship "Yuanwang 3" has returned to the Jiangnan Port of Nanjing in East China's Jiangsu Province after successfully completing its mission with China's first experimental spacecraft "Shenzhou." The other three ships, Yuanwang 1, 2 and 4, returned from their missions earlier. During their 259-day voyage, the four ships traveled some 62, 000 nautical miles and experienced some heavy seas while tracking and communicating with the "Shenzhou" for a total of 150 minutes. (People's Daily) --- note the December 12 news (all 4 ships return) on this site is not precise.

13 December 2000 China Tracking Station in Namibia

China and Namibia signed an agreement to build a tracking, telemetry and space research station (TTST) in Namibia to support China's manned space program. The station would cover an area of 150 by 85 metres and consist of an administration building and two antennae.

06 January 2001 Yuan Wang deployed for Shenzhou 2 flight

China reported that the four Yuan Wang tracking ships celebrated the New Year on remote oceans. Yuan Wang 1 and 2 were in the Pacific Ocean, Yuan Wang 4 had arrived in the Indian Ocean, and Yuan Wang 3 was en route to the Atlantic Ocean.

09 January 2001 Shenzhou 2 Mass: 7,400 kg. Perigee: 330 km. Apogee: 346 km. Inclination: 42.6 deg.

The second unmanned test flight of the Shenzhou manned spacecraft design carried a monkey, a dog and a rabbit in a test of the spaceship's life support systems. Shenzhou 2 was not only a test of the future manned spacecraft but also the most ambitious space science laboratory ever launched by China. It carried 64 scientific payloads: 15 in the re-entry module, 12 in the orbital module and 37 on the forward external pallet. These included a micro-gravity crystal growing device; life sciences experiments with 19 species of animals and plants, cosmic ray and particle detectors; and China's first gamma ray burst detectors. Shenzhou 2 made three orbit-raising manoeuvres during its flight, reaching a 330 x 345 km orbit by the end of the initial phase of the mission. The descent module and service modules then separated from the forward orbital module and external pallet. After retrofire by the service module, it separated and the descent module landed at 11:22 GMT on January 16 in Inner Mongolia. Lack of post-recovery photographs led to speculation that the recovery may not have been completely successful. The Shenzhou orbital module had its own solar panels and remained operational in orbit, conducting scientific experiments. It was actively controlled for six months, maneuvering in orbit several times (reaching a final orbit of 394 x 405 km). It then was allowed to decay and reentered the atmosphere at 09:05 GMT on August 24, 2001. The reentry point was near 33.1 deg S in latitude and 260.4 deg E in longitude, over the western Pacific Ocean between Easter Island and Chile.

02 November 2001 Namibia Tracking Station Completed

China completed construction of a tracking, telemetry and command station in Swakopmund, Namibia, Africa.

25 March 2002 Shenzhou 3 Mass: 7,800 kg. Perigee: 374 km. Apogee: 379 km. Inclination: 42.4 deg.

The third unmanned test of the Shenzhou spacecraft was placed into an initial 197 x 326 km x 42.4 deg orbit at 1425 UTC. At about 2120 UTC Shenzhou used its own engine to raise its orbit to 332 x 337 km. The capsule included a dummy astronaut instrumented to monitor life support systems. The descent module returned to Earth on April 1 at 0851 UTC, landing in Inner Mongolia. The orbital module remained in orbit to carry out further experiments, finally being deorbited on 12 November 2002.

29 December 2002 Shenzhou 4 Mass: 7,800 kg. Perigee: 331 km. Apogee: 337 km. Inclination: 42.4 deg. Duration: 6.77 days.

Fourth unmanned test of the Shenzhou spacecraft. First night launch of the CZ-2F was viewed by Party leaders on a very cold but clear night. The spacecraft carried fifty-two science payloads in four main areas: microwave Earth observation, space environment monitoring, microgravity fluid physics, and biological technology research. The spacecraft's reentry capsule was successfully recovered on 5 January 2003 at 1116 UT. The Chinese released the news and photographs of the capsule in the dusk snow only an hour later. The landing site was 40 km from Hohhot (40.51deg N, 111.38 deg E). As in prior missions, the orbital module continued in orbit. Chinese astronauts trained on the actual flight hardware before the launch and it was officially announced that this successful mission set the stage for a first Chinese manned spaceflight in the second half of 2003. Western observors noted that the orbit and ground track allowed launch of a second rendezvous vehicle, an indication of future manned space station missions.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#50]
-John posted and went on Art Bell long ago... before 9/11
One would think that he would have mentioned, or at least hinted at, something as significant as this, as in a world shaking event that precluded a major political attitude change... after all he mentioned WACO (far less significant event).

The fact it was not mentioned perhaps could mean that his "time line" was changed by something else that caused his future to veer off in a different direction (causing WWIII). If you can accept multiple "realities" and parallel dimensions it's plausible.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top