Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well I guess one can say without reservation THAT helmet IS an original-

He had a mess of others too, US, brit, other german including an odd one, arty or mounted maybe.  

His farm is at ground zero for where everyone dropped in for Operation Market Garden..with a battle line that went back and forth for a number of days.

Weird one could have been a fallschirmjager helmet?

Just figured it out..it was a dutch helmet.  

Like this one?

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1654/m27001tt8.jpg
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wonder if the Germans padded the insides of them helmet with horse hair or something? It looks like there is some covering over half of it.

Yes they did.  So did the Brits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
waffen-sasquatch

That one got me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if the Germans padded the insides of them helmet with horse hair or something? It looks like there is some covering over half of it.

Could be hair from Jewish people.

why the fuck would "jewish people" hair be in a helmet?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they were just a source of slave labor and "raw materials" to the Nazis.  Might as well use what they could before burning them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they were just a source of slave labor and "raw materials" to the Nazis.  Might as well use what they could before burning them.

my grandmothers was burnt after they shaved it off
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
thats a creepy battlefield pick up, the hair looks well preserved compared to the rest of the helmet
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. It's too long to have been soldier hair as the German enlisted troops as did ours had crew cuts.

Sorry to say, this is wrong.  It was popular in the German Heer to wear their hair long on top, short on the sides.

http://www.272nd.org/appearance/hairlong.jpg

http://www.ablogabouthistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/battle.png

http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/16398/wm/pd2083824.jpg

I have heard of a 'German crew cut' but nobody has ever been able to tell me exactly what it was. I always assumed it was as you see in so many photos and as you said, long on top swept back with the sides shaved.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Silly Germans....thinking they could take over the world...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Holy bollox! That is cool as hell!. Is there any damage to the helmet or did it just get blown off with some scalp?

Guessing the corpse rotted away for decades while still wearing the helmet.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Why are there no pictures of everything else?   After you have seen 1 dead Nazi toupee you have seen them all!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Animal hair!! Sorry!!

1. It's too long to have been soldier hair as the German enlisted troops as did ours had crew cuts.

2. Human hair fades greatly over time, if it was human hair it would look blond no matter what color it really was when the guy was seperated from it. Especially after being out in the weather. I have Locks of hair cut off my ancestors that were stored even out of light exposure and it still turned blond over the years since it was snipped and stored.

I have a German Stahlhelmut found in a local scrapyard when i was a kid, needs the runst removed and repainted and their is no liner but i have the helmet itself. BTW, Anybody know where i can find a liner? Doesn't have to be original just operational, you know so i can wear it for parties and such.

My dad had a lock of his mothers hair that I put in his shirt pocket in his caskethe day of his funeral, it was as black as it was the day it was cutt off about 40 years ago.

right, I wouldn't believe that unless a forensic anthropologist said it

My mom has some of my hair from my first hair cut 34 years ago, it is just as red and curly as the day it was cut.

Same here w/ my great grandmothers hair I saw a couple years ago- red as an apes ass, still!

so I call BS on the fading hair crap.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He had a mess of others too, US, brit, other german including an odd one, arty or mounted maybe.  

His farm is at ground zero for where everyone dropped in for Operation Market Garden..with a battle line that went back and forth for a number of days.

Like this one?

yup!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why are there no pictures of everything else?

After you have seen 1 dead Nazi toupee you have seen them all!!!

I have more, just not on the web yet.. still going through other photos first.. I took 350 today alone and I have been in Europe since the 9th...averaging about 100 photos a day, and playing catch up with them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like this one?

yup!  

If you are in the netherlands as a tourist and want to see some gun related stuff you can allways visit the dutch army museum in Delft.
They have a good collection guns on display, old and new ones and a lot from WWII.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I know horse hair has been lined in alot of things.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Win, lose , or draw.

The person who wore that helmet was still a soldier, and as such deserves respect.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]
THAT......IS......AWESOME!!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top