Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Also, it's NOT that they get discounts, it's that I pay more to make up that discount. For every action there is a equal reaction.

The portions from the senior menus that I see in restaurants like Applebees look like smaller portions, so the chain is probably saving money that way as well.
As for the comment about the AARP card; forget that. I get mailings from them now for some reason ( I am only 43)..but I'll never join because they are so heavily anti-gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Everybody's income is fixed. Thus, "fixed income" is a misnomer for seniors as most think this is equivalent to "low income". It is not but a term to get "low income" entitlements for seniors who would not qualify otherwise. This was invented by the AARP and continues to be one of their better marketing ploys.

A senior discount is the private industry's mechanism for wealth redistribution, or entitlement. Somebody has to pay that discount which means the non-senior customers do.

What to do? Well, if you are for it, go patronize establishments that offer said discount. If you are not, like me, who does not want to subsidize seniors who DO NOT need it (most are wealthier than I according the IRS summarize data on tax filings), DO NOT PATRONIZE establishments that offer said discounts.

It is that easy. Oh, you might want to let the establishment know.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Respect goes along way. I have no problem with the old timers getting a discount.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The senior discount is illegal.  It is age discrimination with the younger patrons being charged more just to give grandma a discount.  

Grandma who has not paid a dollar in taxes in the last 50 years then demands social security (welfare) free prescriptions and health care and will vote for every gun grapping liberal just because grandma wants a cradle to grave benefit package.

I do not go to any restaurant that traditionally gives seniors discounts simply because I know I am subsidizing that discount.

As far as respecting the elderly,  I respect everyone….at first.  After that they need to earn my respect.   Continuing to respecting someone just because Darwin has not caught up with them yet is silly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:40:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I would bet money that the discount is used to bring seniors into the discount-offering establishment because they may not otherwise be shopping there.  The store is just trying to lure in customers with a lot of spare time who probably have some discretionary funds who wouldn't go in without a reason.  Everybody loves a good deal, seniors more than most young folks.

If an establishment offers the discount, then those eligible for the discount DO "deserve" it - the store offered it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#8]
A couple of old guys in a hunting club I used to belong to wanted to buy the old lady's property next to the club before she died and it was sold to developers.  Yes this was a good idea.  They guys pushed it through and they pushed through a $1000 per member assessment (this was 20 years ago).  Everything was going fine, then these guys made a motion that anyone over 65 didn't have to pay the $1000 because they were on a fixed income.  One of guys was sitting on a 10 acre piece of property worth millions and had a pension with full medical and the other owned three homes in an affluent area.  The club lost 1/3 of it's membership.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The Popeyes restaurants in New Orleans give free meals to police officers.  I'm talking "pre-Katrina" obviously.  Pretty smart... offer free meals to cops, and you'll have a steady stream of them coming in at various hours.  This increased police presence probably cut down on the number of robberies.

Actually, I recall several years ago that they got in some sort of trouble for it (some people were suggesting it was akin to "bribing" officers to patrol these locations more than other places), and the sign was taken down, but a couple of months ago I was standing in line and noticed the cop in front of me had his meal zeroed out, so I guess they're still doing it (just quieter now).

Anyway, with regards to senior citizen discounts, in addition to some of the other theories mentioned here, I think the fast-food places just like having old people sitting around, so they offer a discount to entice them in.  I mean, the common logic is that eating at places like McDonalds will kill you by 40... so when you walk in and notice some elderly people sitting there, it might subconciously reassure you that eating at McDonald's is fine ("hey, I see that 80 year old guy in here everytime I come here, so the food can't be THAT bad for you").

Of course, you might not notice that he's just having coffee.

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I belive whole concept of the "Senior Discount" is premised on the fact that these people have "paid their due". They have worked the best part of their lives and paid their taxes to the government. Now in the twilight of their years, it is the "turn" of the government to provide for them.

Hence the laws on "Senior Discounts".

You will learn to appreciate the law, when you reach THAT age.

I honestly cannot understand why some find something like this appalling when the same is not immoral, illegal and it serves to benefit their own parents and themselves when the time comes.

WTF are you talking about?

Precisly  What Laws?

All discounts I've seen have been entirly voluntary.

My bad gentlemen. I assumed that Senior Citizen discounts there were legislated (as in some countries). My apologies if it was not the case.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
There are a lot of sandy young manginas around here.

Buncha whiney, disrespectful cry-@$$es is what you are... You'll change your tune. I don't know one older person that will turn down the opportunity to save a little money.

/34 years old and I respect my elders. They can teach you a thing or two.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh for Christ sakes .  

Don't like discounts.  Tough.  Nobody asked you.  Don't wanna give old folks discounts, fine, don't give 'em one.  Is there anything people here haven't found to bitch about?

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hate old people also. They smell, cant drive, and have special needs.  

"My fingers hurt"

"Well now your backs going to hurt becuase you just pulled landscaping duty"

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You forgot about how cities are allowed to set aside an entire sprawling COMMUNITY just for people over 55 to live in - no one under 55 is allowed to live in that portion of the city.

Age is the only factor you're allowed to use to discriminate against people in housing, all the other standards are still enforced (race, sex, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, religion, etc).

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This question was spawned from another thread.
Where did the whole concept of giving someone a discount just because they are old ??
Why not a discount because you're young, or disabled, or black or jewish etc...etc...
And it's not just the discount, it's the mentality thet they DESERVE that discount !!
I've never seen an old asshole as mad as when I didn't give them their 10% discount, which amounted to less than a dollar, that they thought they DESERVED !!

Because it seams that a certain generation of old folks (those who were born anywhere near the 1930's) were raised on bein EXCEPTIONALLY CHEAP... So in order to keep them buying, somebody thought 'Hey, discount... These folks love discounts, even if it's too small to matter'...

And thus, those companies get the attention of folks like my grandparents, who are so cheap that their condiments in their fridge all come from BK/McDs...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll let you know in about 15 years what it means.

Danny

I'll be getting my AARP card a lot sooner than that.

You mean you'll be joining the A__P... last time I checked the A__P was anti-gun.. so, no ARs are allowed.

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Maybe this phrase:

"Respect your elders."

Yep.
Wait til you get old boyo - I'm only 20 and I still think the senior discount is a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My best friends dad complains everytime he does not get a discount, BUT he drives a 40K+ Caddy and has plenty of money for guns, and toys. He does not need a discount.  I personally think SS discounts are Un-American, as they are all about discrimination based on nothing more then a psyical trait.

Poor rich guy... more the exception than the rule....  I mean c'mon, according to Amway/Quixtar groups by the time you are 65 today you are either dead or dead broke, living off the dole or being a burden to your family.  Can't argue with the great Republican-based Christian White organizations like that can you?

No Expert

Senior discount is all about bringing in business. Same as putting a coupon in an Entertainment values book which someone pays $20 for that has 500 different coupons for 500 different places.
You hope to entice someone to come in and spend money, bring their friends (grandchildren?) and continue to spend money there.

I'm sure you feel it's unfair when you walk into a pizza place to pickup your pizza and the guy inline in front of you gets the same pizza for $1.00 less cause he had a coupon that you didn't. Darn frugal newspaper scanning money grubbing pizza eater and his $50K SUV that's never been driven in the dirt!  

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Helps drum up business. Like how bars have "women's night out" events.

BINGO!!!!
And remember...many in the SENIOR category right now, lived thru the lean depression years. My mom is 70...married to a a jerk who has more money than GOD and she STILL seeks and gives her business to those businesses that will give her a discount. Why? Because  a.) she feels they've SOUGHT her business and b.)0 she remembers all too well when she was poor and hungry. YMMV

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Popeyes restaurants in New Orleans give free meals to police officers.  I'm talking "pre-Katrina" obviously.  Pretty smart... offer free meals to cops, and you'll have a steady stream of them coming in at various hours.  This increased police presence probably cut down on the number of robberies.

--Mike

Good point.  I know of one restaurant that I used to frequent on a weekly basis (I worked down the street) had a keyu on their register for police discount... it actually printed on the receipt POLICE/FIRE DISCOUNT 50%.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine the other day about "cop restaurants"... opening one right across from a police station and never having to worry about being robbed if the food was good and the prices good to cops.

Kinda like the idea of not eating at a truck stop if there are no truckers there.

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I consider it just another "Sale" that I qualify for.  

Many businesses sell to their employees with a flat discount off the tag prices, also, you and I get flyers all the time from Sportsman's Guide with 5-20% off discounts, so what's the big deal?  Does that make you part of a problem for those who didn't get the discount?  If you didn't get the "Coupon" or are under 55, you don't get the deal.  If you don't like those merchants who choose to be preferential, then don't shop/buy from them.  If you're in Law Enforcement and Colt or Bushy gives you a deal should I be pissed and boycott them?

Quit being such whiny little bitches about how "Unfair" life is to you.  Either make a lot of money, or wait until you can get the deal also.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The infamous Gimme Gimme Generation (also known as the "Baby Boomers").  A complete and utter embarassment in many respects to their parents.  (Yes, we all know that not ALL are like that *just most*...)

I love how they have managed to manipulate our democracy in order to vote them money (SS, drug benefit, medicare, etc.)  The discounts are store/restaurant owner policies but they are created by the general entitlement society we live in.  After thoroughly raping younger Americans and living off other people's wages, the "seniors" now feel that it is their right to even more benefits.  Restaurants lose too many customers by denying these old geezers their nickel off or whatever the fuck it is.

The world would be better off with the entitlement-minded people shot, stabbed, bludgeoned, or generally made dead

I get so tired of people who are completely clueless going off about the baby boomers.  Guess what, our parents, the Greatest Generation, got senior discounts a long time ago.

If you have no respect for those who have worked all their lives, paid taxes, etc.  The generation that you called selfish, the baby boomers, didn't whine about respecting their elders and taking care of them the way I have seen people on this board whine about it.

Just wait, your story will change.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The senior discount is illegal.  It is age discrimination with the younger patrons being charged more just to give grandma a discount.  

Grandma who has not paid a dollar in taxes in the last 50 years then demands social security (welfare) free prescriptions and health care and will vote for every gun grapping liberal just because grandma wants a cradle to grave benefit package.

I do not go to any restaurant that traditionally gives seniors discounts simply because I know I am subsidizing that discount.

As far as respecting the elderly,  I respect everyone….at first.  After that they need to earn my respect.   Continuing to respecting someone just because Darwin has not caught up with them yet is silly.

Go do some research for apparently you don't have any idea of what you are speaking.  Social Security is not welfare.  I will never get back what I have already paid into, not because of cuts, etc, simply because I will not live that long.  You pay into something for 40 years, you might collect for 10 or 15 from something you have paid into.  That is NOT welfare.

You don't think that people who have worked all their lives deserve respect?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#25]
So you're saying I should never ask if there's a military discount?  

WTF is with a case discount on ammo!??!  You should pay per box prices, why should you expect a better deal if you buy a lot of it, why do people think they deserve a price break??
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go do some research for apparently you don't have any idea of what you are speaking.  Social Security is not welfare.  I will never get back what I have already paid into, not because of cuts, etc, simply because I will not live that long.  You pay into something for 40 years, you might collect for 10 or 15 from something you have paid into.  That is NOT welfare.

You don't think that people who have worked all their lives deserve respect?  

I think he is referring to the Grandma that was a housewife her whole life and thus hasn't put any money into the system... Which is cold, because that totally discounts women who worked hard at home, but didn't work a formal job...

Very short sighted IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]
What ever happened to respect your elder? I'll tell you what happened. People figured out that being old is in itself not a reason to receove respect, as simply having survived for 60, 70, 80 years is not really an accomplishment, especially in this day and age where we legislate stupidity to keep people from hurting themselves. There are plenty of old pricks and lazy geezers around that have never done anything in their lives to have earned any respect. Respect has to be earned, whether 6 or 60.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It's all about business.  Take the movies; retiries and students generally have fexible hours compared to 9-5 folks, and a way to draw more people to the theatres during off hours is to offer discounts, similar to the twilight show.  Just another market to cater to.

I've never seen an old asshole as mad as when I didn't give them their 10% discount, which amounted to less than a dollar, that they thought they DESERVED !!

Apparently the business you work for does offer a senior discount as part of their business practice so they DID deserve it.

Cheers

No, we offer no mandated discounts other than what we feel like giving.  CHEERS !!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yep, from what I have seen on this board, when we hit 60 we should be taken out and shot.

Of course! That's what the Second Amendment is all about!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#30]
For some things, it makes sense.  Like movie theaters.  "Senior's" are typically retired and have plenty of time to do things, i.e. spend money, during the day.  So if you give a discount for the the movie, they will be more likely to think hey, I should come back tomorrow.  Where a normal working person can't, because they have to work tomorrow.  Also, because they typically attend more movies than working people, a separate and lower senior price can be competitive and profitable.

And the discount is not for respect.  I don't care how much I respect someone, I still expect to be paid the same for the same amount of work.

I also hate the term "Fixed income."  Their income is NOT fixed.  SS periodically ups their payouts for cost of living, and most personal retirement accounts grow with the economy as well.  Only the old government/union pensions are set in stone, but those people also receive SS.  And they know it won't be going DOWN in the future, unlike the rest of us.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Buncha whiney, disrespectful cry-@$$es is what you are... You'll change your tune. I don't know one older person that will turn down the opportunity to save a little money.

Sorry, but I don't equate respect with a monetary discount.
Why not 50% off then, I mean show some REAL respect.....right ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a thing some small companies do to be nice. Big whoop. It's not enough of a discount to get worked up over, but it's enough for old people to feel like they're not being neglected.

I'm shocked some of you have such strong feelings about this. You'd think you'd want your parents/grandparents to save every penny for your inheritance!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is the stupidest thing I've heard so far in this thread.  50% discount and the store doesn't make a profit hense they would not do that.  That would not be showing respect but letting people take advantage of you.

This thread is sad
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Just turned 60 yesterday.

We make a big fuss over age discrimination and then make the opposite argument on senior discounts.

That's what I like about this country, there's room for everyone to be offended about almost anything.

I find senior discounts mildly offensive....sort of like you have to be 4ft tall to go on a ride or kids ride free.  Friendly marketing
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
This question was spawned from another thread.
Where did the whole concept of giving someone a discount just because they are old ??
Why not a discount because you're young, or disabled, or black or jewish etc...etc...
And it's not just the discount, it's the mentality thet they DESERVE that discount !!

I give discounts to people who appear clean cut, or are Christian. I raise prices on foul mouthed gangbanger wannabes (luckily they rarely seem to need (or afford) my services as a contractor)
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#36]
On a side note, i firmly believe that the reason so many of us are bad with money is because this country has gone from a country of savers to a country of spenders. look at any older person that lived during the depression era--- they save everything to the point that it is almost stupid.

Nowadays, the method of thinking is buy now pay later, and people get into trouble by using their credit card, and racking up tons of debt.

So i could understand why the older folks want to save every penny they can, but i don't know if i agree on the whole senior discount thing or not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is the stupidest thing I've heard so far in this thread.  50% discount and the store doesn't make a profit hense they would not do that.  That would not be showing respect but letting people take advantage of you.

This thread is sad

Try reading comprehension.
I was responding to the posters assertion that seniors should be respected, I agree and have no problem with that, BUT He equated respect with a monetary discount.  In most circles, it's 10%.
My point was, if you are giving a senior a 10% discount to show respect, then why not give them 50% off and really show them some respect.
Get it ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread is sad

I was responding to the posters assertion that seniors should be respected, I agree and have no problem with that, BUT He equated respect with a monetary discount.  In most circles, it's 10%.
My point was, if you are giving a senior a 10% discount to show respect, then why not give them 50% off and really show them some respect.
Get it ?

That makes no sense despite your insult...

5, 10% is no big deal. Why you're so bent out of shape about it I don't know... Tell me you'll refuse the discount when you're older.

This is such a non issue it isn't even funny.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread is sad

Get it ?

That makes no sense despite your insult...

5, 10% is no big deal. Why you're so bent out of shape about it I don't know... Tell me you'll refuse the discount when you're older.

This is such a non issue it isn't even funny.

You're missing my point with your argument.  My issue is that you equate RESPECT with a monetary discount and I don't.
And when I say why not 50%, you say that's just silly.  Yes it is, but so is giving someone a discount just because they're old.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You're missing my point with your argument.  My issue is that you equate RESPECT with a monetary discount and I don't.
And when I say why not 50%, you say that's just silly.  Yes it is, but so is giving someone a discount just because they're old.

Listen. I'm quite sure that senior citizen discounts came about years ago, when you'd hear stories about old people having to eat cat food because they were so friggin' poor. Noone did away with them because that would be bad press and they'd likely lose a valid source of income.

It's a tiny little discount. If you had such a problem with it, perhaps you should make a huge scene by ranting about age discrimination the next time you're out at a restaurant or place that has senior discounts. Oh, you don't want to look like a dick?

This may come as a surprise, but not every old person you see has seven figures' worth of holdings and is just trying to save a buck on their lunch. It's no big deal...

Some of you get entirely too wound up about the silliest things.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top