BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

All-in-one scanner + printer at home = WIN!

No kidding, having a few photos printed = a nice Epson photo printer, to hell with all this horseshit.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#2]
What I realized from this is that every image printed out must be stored as a digital file on that Walmart photo machine so the machine is subject to audit.  If you have any really personal non-professional photos you don't want some auditor fapping to, don't use public machines to make prints.  

As for the OP, he should have looked the manatee in the snout and without a beat said, "I am a professional photographer!".

One last observation, anything created prior to 1923 is in the public domain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Release should be on the CD.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Why would he steal his own wedding pictures?

We did.

THIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only I knew a good computer forensic dude....  
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Play Walmart games,win Walmart prizes
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Of all the shit in the world Walmart needs to worry about, printed photos? Really!?

How about sweep the floors first or something...

I guess you don't know about copyright laws.  If a photo lab is caught selling prints that have no release, we're talking massive fines.

I used to service photo labs and personally saw a big chain store's lab get hammered.

OP.  Don't use the HP insta printer to print.  Use the Fuji kiosk to print.  If the Manatee still thinks they have a copyright, ask to see the Photo Lab Manager.  This person will be edumakated enough to know the difference.  They can do a zoom on the PIC to look for watermarks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OP, Walgreens doesn't care about releases.

O' Really???

I could give you the phone number to the Photo Corporate Manager in Deerfield and have him explain to you how stupid your statement is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell the lady at the counter you are the photographer who took the photos?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I work in  photo lab for Walgreens  and we have the same rules.  Its a 10k fine and my job for copyright violations if the photographer finds out about it.  Normally we ask for a proof of release  or have you fill out a form saying you took it yourself.   You would be amazed at how many people don't understand what a copyright is.

Finally, a real live lab tech.

I'm an ex Fuji tech. Don't miss it one bit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Took the photos of himself?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would he steal his own wedding pictures?

We did.

THIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only I knew a good computer forensic dude....  

No kidding though. Our photographer held our pictures hostage after he doubled our price, AFTER the wedding was over. Sleaze bag, taking advantage of people.

I liberated our photos.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, Walgreens doesn't care about releases.

O' Really???

I could give you the phone number to the Photo Corporate Manager in Deerfield and have him explain to you how stupid your statement is.

That's ok, I don't give two shits about it. It's not even on my give a fuck meter.
I printed 260 photos, many from a professional and the guy working the machine didn't bat an eye.
So yes, my walgreens doesn't give a shit about it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

He could have always used a tripod with a timer.  

ETA:

I have a photographer friend who ran into the same bullshit when he tried to get some photos printed for a client.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure what I think is more absurd, Walmart's policy of letting you print before they check the release, or the OP calling the employee names because she was following the policies of the store that cuts her paycheck.

If you're legal to print them, you've got the release.  Don't blame it on someone else if you didn't do your homework ahead of time and don't call people names, it tells us as much about you as it does about them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cameras have timers and use a tripod. In theory he could have his wife stand in place get the focus set then get in the picture and viola picture of wife unit and self.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
OP,

i went through the same shit at fag-mart......

i had an old WWII photo of my dad that i wanted reprinted....

it was taken in the mid-forties up in NYC at some photo shop that no longer exists....

and the stupid nazi behind the counter said i could not have them and put the pictures in the shredder....

told the bitch to go eat a double-stack shit sandwich and took them to Kinkos and copied them with no problem

fuck wal mart
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
It all depends on how the wedding was priced.  If a photographer shoots if for next to nothing and expects to make all his money on the prints, that's why the photographer would be pissed if you scanned a print and printed it at wally world.  But that's a dumb way to price your work.

When I've done wedding photography, there's a price to shoot the wedding, a price for the prints, and a price for the files.  Just picking the prints you want is a lot cheaper way to go, because the proofs are done with a batch processor and it only takes a few hours.  When they decide what they want, then just those files are retouched individually and printed.  

If they bought the files, there's a lot more labor because they all got retouched individually.  It adds up to a lot of hours.  It's priced accordingly.  

I wouldn't care if someone scanned one of the prints they bought.  I've already made my money at that point.  And you might as well price a wedding that way.  Once someone has a print in their hand you don't have any control over what they do with it.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cameras have timers and use a tripod. In theory he could have his wife stand in place get the focus set then get in the picture and viola picture of wife unit and self.

I know all about cameras. it would be ridiculous to say you did that

to take multiple posses. OP is honest, why lie about it and look like a fool?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#18]
If you say your a Professional Photographer they my ask to see a business card or something else that shows you are.  

Also, don't spend a bunch of money on Pro Photography and then get your pic's printed at some walk in store.  That is a waste of money.  There are plenty of online labs that beat the pants off of the one hour places for just a few more dollars.  MPix is a good start.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Call the district manager and tell them the hippo won't let you buy printed copies of your wedding pictures and instead took them and put them into the shredder.

I would like to know what he says to that.

This
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And that...

Yep - just went & checked the CD from the last family pictures we had done - release was there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It all depends on how the wedding was priced.  If a photographer shoots if for next to nothing and expects to make all his money on the prints, that's why the photographer would be pissed if you scanned a print and printed it at wally world.  But that's a dumb way to price your work.

When I've done wedding photography, there's a price to shoot the wedding, a price for the prints, and a price for the files.  Just picking the prints you want is a lot cheaper way to go, because the proofs are done with a batch processor and it only takes a few hours.  When they decide what they want, then just those files are retouched individually and printed.  

If they bought the files, there's a lot more labor because they all got retouched individually.  It adds up to a lot of hours.  It's priced accordingly.  

I wouldn't care if someone scanned one of the prints they bought.  I've already made my money at that point.  And you might as well price a wedding that way.  Once someone has a print in their hand you don't have any control over what they do with it.  

When people see the price of really great wedding photography the almost choke.  They only think about the time they actually spend in front of the camera.  The photographer will probably have five times as much work in to a wedding  than the client thinks when it's all said and done.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Should have just said your wife/sister/brother/dog took the photos since they do it for a hobby.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#23]
let me just say that I have complete knowledge of this situation and how it works. No, i dont work for Wally World.

If you bought the CD from the Photographer then the Photographer should have giving you a form with the copyright release information from him/her to you.

Even though you pushed the copyright button on the machine while choosing your prints the clerk didnt see the print until after you were finished and they were about to print. If in any way Walmart or anyone else believes that the prints may be professional they must see a copyright release form.

I know that Walgreens (no I dont work for them either) has copyright release forms that you can fill out yourself saying that you have the right to copy the photos. Walgreens has always been good to me. If you make copies without having the release from the photographer you may be fined up to $3000 a print that you make. Walgreens will have you fil out there form so that it takes the liability off of them and puts it on you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#24]
When I run into this shit I always just say I'm the photographer and fill out one of the release forms they have there. There's no reason that shouldn't be the end of it. It shouldn't matter if they believe you or not, by filling out the form it removes them from any copyright liability.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I would have slapped $15 down on the counter, bladed at 45 degrees and made a run for it!

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Call the district manager and tell them the hippo won't let you buy printed copies of your wedding pictures and instead took them and put them into the shredder.

He'll say you need to bring in a printed copy of the copyright release form... Plain and simple.  
It's the law (USPTO Copyright) and if caught, Walmart could potentially get sued and have huge fines levied against them.

If you don't have one, you don't OWN squat, short of the prints he/she gave you...

If you were the photographer, wouldn't you expect the biggest retailer in the world to protect your IP rights ?

We have all these fancy copyright laws for a reason...  The guy/gal taking the photos deserves to get paid for his work too...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep going back and doing it
haha this

Yes, but next time make it 20 8x10's. If they cave and let you buy them, decline and say you don't like the prints after all. Wal Mart's policy also states that you're not obligated to buy photos you're not happy with.

20?, why stop there lets do 100!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#28]
This happened to me a  while back. Just waited for shift change and the next walmart associate had no problem with it.

My next plan was to go home and write a release and bring it back.

If you can't out-smart a walmartian you've got real problems.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#29]
They did the same thing to us a few months back. I told the gal they were taken by family (they were, my uncle) and she let us have them after a while....
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#30]
At my store we have a password on the Kodak Picture Maker so that we can see the photos before the prints are done. Just like the others in the field have said, no professional photos unless there is a release.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

All-in-one scanner + printer at home = WIN!

no doubt. photo printer and paper are pretty cheap nowdays.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#32]
post pics here, they will last a long time!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#33]
YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY WEDDING PHOTOS
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY WEDDING PHOTOS

They got touched, shredded, and loved tenderly by the trash compactor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I had it happen with pictures I'd taken back when we still used film. (not at wal mart though)
I had ordered enlargements and they made me sign a release to get the prints.

I take real purty pictures.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Keep going back and doing it

that would be fun, make copies of the CD and have friends go in and do it too....
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Print yourself a "release". You have a printer, right?

Go back and get your photos.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I prefer to have them delivered. http://www.mpix.com/ is who I use.  
This.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#39]
All you had to do was ask for a manager.... pretty simple.  Most managers for Walmart do whatever it takes to please the customer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Buy your own photo printer. Canon 9100 for the win.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Shouldn't care. Its the stores policy. Should have gotten the hippo to check the release on the CD and been done with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#42]
professional photographers/ do they work like magnets? or just hang out at wallmart
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Use snapfish and do it online, cheaper and better prints.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#44]
A local non-chain photo shop was good enough to take a wedding photo and dupe it. The pro photographer went out of business some years earlier. They also photos hoped fucking iPad
P h o t o s h o p e d a group photo to eliminate a dissident so we could take it to a communist dictatorship without problems.

Sent from my know-it-all iPad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a bunch of 8x10s made of pictures I took in Iraq and got held up by the photo guy because he said they were professional. They were printed directly off of my camera's memory card and I had my camera with with me. I argued for a while and finally got the manager to come over and made her look at the EXIF data. (I needed them quick and they quit making ink cartridges for my ancient 6 color photo printer)

In retrospect, I should've taken a picture of him and made him print it.

Here's one of my pics, now where's the obligatory pic of wife?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top