Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Not only are the bikes better but how about the clothes and shoes?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gwin is a beast, a natural phenom on a bike. Had never ridden a DH bike until 2008 and in less than a year he was racing in World Cups and got a 10th place finish at his first race. Unreal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Gwin is a beast, a natural phenom on a bike. Had never ridden a DH bike until 2008 and in less than a year he was racing in World Cups and got a 10th place finish at his first race. Unreal.
Gwinna tha winna!

His win in MSA was IN FUCKING SANE

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That was the next one I was going to post.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LOL roadie goobers. One dude was running a TT disk or a wheel cover.  This must have been triathletes from the 90's, I can't imagine off road riders being that bad. Seat posts all the way up, hanging out over the front wheel like a moran.  It must have been beginner class.
View Quote
Hey man, don't be hating on the disc cover. That's the one piece of gear that made sense on those high speed courses.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Gwin can fucking shred

We need a MTB forum
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
+1

Night and day difference between today's bikes and those of even ten years ago.

Back in 1997, I asked someone about disc brakes on mountain bikes, and he said they hadn't gotten them to work well yet. Three years later, I saw he had a bike with discs and I reminded him about my question from three year's prior and his response was: "They finally got them to work right." That was 17 years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The technology in the bikes today is insane.  Carbon fiber, magnesium and titanium are the norm.  The forks and shocks are at least as sophisticated as motocross gear.  Models from two years ago are completely obsolete.  Tires are tubeless and super grippy.  The riders are super skilled as well
+1

Night and day difference between today's bikes and those of even ten years ago.

Back in 1997, I asked someone about disc brakes on mountain bikes, and he said they hadn't gotten them to work well yet. Three years later, I saw he had a bike with discs and I reminded him about my question from three year's prior and his response was: "They finally got them to work right." That was 17 years ago.
I didn't trust the darn things until XTR 9000 came out. Then I got a groupset. They're ok.

My uncle saw my hardtail and did a double take. "You have disc brakes?" like opulence, you has it. I said, yeah they're XTR. The R stands for "Retro", it's their throwback groupset. He was like, huh.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I should have posted this video earlier in the thread.  This was a news story that aired nationwide in, I think 1979.   What this video shows is literally the birthplace of the modern mountain bike and the guys responsible for it.  Look for a blue bike with a level top-tube, thin diagonal tubes bracing the frame and a truss fork.  The is the very first modern mountain bike ever built and it's now in the Smithsonian.  There are several similar bikes in the video but they are nickel plated and have a straight uni-crown fork.  They are some the first batch of nine modern mountain bikes ever built, the blue one being the prototype.  

Killer soundtrack, too!

Klunking - 1979 - Evening Magazine
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, as long as it keeps you fuckers off the roads, I'm happy!  

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I should have posted this video earlier in the thread.  This was a news story that aired nationwide in, I think 1979.   What this video shows is literally the birthplace of the modern mountain bike and the guys responsible for it.  Look for a blue bike with a level top-tube, thin diagonal tubes bracing the frame and a truss fork.  The is the very first modern mountain bike ever built and it's now in the Smithsonian.  There are several similar bikes in the video but they are nickel plated and have a straight uni-crown fork.  They are some the first batch of nine modern mountain bikes ever built, the blue one being the prototype.  

Killer soundtrack, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVWP6VaLtvw
View Quote
@ 0:50 , your average poster on mtbr.com.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pioneers  
View Quote
Pioneers in the 1990s?  Phhhhftffttt...

I recall a 1970s CBS Evening News segment about the hippies in Marin County, CA and their new sport of "Mountain Biking".  They'd strip down old 26-inch, coaster brake, street bikes, maybe install a caliper brake on the front and if they were hard core they'd install balloon tires.

And then down the hills they'd go.  Those were the Pioneers.  Here's a photo from 1974 of someone on a mountain bike converted 10-speed.

eta:  To add a couple of videos about the 1970s:
Klunkerz: A Film About Mountain Bike History

The Roots of Dirt | How The Mountain Bike Evolved From Clunker to Global Phenomenon
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Different times 

Mass Start Craziness | Mountain of Hell 2017 by UR Team
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@ 0:50 , your average poster on mtbr.com.
View Quote
The first time I watched that, I was convinced that was a young Matthew Modine.  He's from California, he's into bicycles and he's about the right age.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Video's like that are why I like my old big hit. 50 mph down stuff like that is easy mode. Still need to fix it up to ride stevens pass.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't imagine anything other than disk brakes
View Quote
Me either.

My MB came with disk brakes but they were operated by v brake handles.

New brakes, new 9 speed cassette, new shift handles, and new brake handles.

$$$ but
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#17]
That soundtrack takes me back, though.

Wipeout 64. Great racing game.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...and then everyone slammed some Mt Dew Jolt Cola and jammed out to Korn. 
View Quote
FIFY.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Goosebumps for the history and modern pure badassness.

I drink too much beer to be fast any more but my garage looks like an Mtb museum.

96 Cdale Super V
95? DBR Axis TT w/ Girvin fork
96? DBR Team Issue
99? Tomac Buckshot w/ Magura rim brakes
97/98? Yeti Straight 8
??Schwinn 4 Banger
96? DBR whatever was 1 below the Team

Then some modern stuff that is cool but just lacks the spirit of the 90's rides.

I worked several summers in a bike shop during high school and still wound up owing them money when that time was up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Suspension fork
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Increased travel and damping, sure. Also, brakes that don't fade out, larger volume tires at lower pressure, drop seat posts, far better geometry, wider bars, and riders that know how to ride. Notice how these guys are pretty much static on the bike, arms straight out, hanging on for dear life with very little active input over the terrain.
View Quote
Those were basically road bikes it looked like. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, I can't tell who is crazier - the old guys riding "klunkers" or the new guys like that nutty Gwinna cat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Me on my 6 month old GT in 1988:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/scan-1.jpg

I converted it into a single speed and still ride it.
View Quote
Matching stem paint...so 80s man, that's awesome!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Some nice flying W's back then.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Back around 1989 after a crash bending the front fork and seat post on my riding buddies bike at winter park.
I installed one of the first available Rockshocks on our treks Rock hoppers.
At a camp ground only with tools I had on board. Who carried a pipe cutter?
They literally cost almost as much as the bike. Total of  1.5 inches of shitty travel of Springs and rubber/foam BUMPERS ..........  LOL
Attachment Attached File

Picture was taken at Deadhorse state park Utah after we had muscled his front fork away from his frame. We Traveled straight from Winter park to Moab on a cross country 60 day trip of awesomeness.
Shorty after I put my road pedals on my MTB and was called crazy by my friends.  
The back racks on those bikes were for canteens we strap to them. Big water bottles were just hitting the market, camelbaks were still a year away.

We live in a great time line.

Last bike cost 3 X more than the VW van and had 6 inches of hydraulic controlled down hill fun.  No more thirst because I carried more water than I would need on my back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Picked up my new bike yesterday, Cannondale Cujo 2. It's a budget bike, but I'm really happy with it. Compared to my 18 year old Cannondale, it's a completely different riding experience. The head angle is most apparent. I had no clue what I was missing. The extra 40mm of front suspension is really nice as well.
Point being, my old bike was like something out of a science fiction movie, compared to what those kids in the old days were riding. The new full-suspension, all carbon, electric shift bikes would be like God mode to them.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top