Link Posted: 3/11/2013 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope he pulls through!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
It's NOT rat poison.

I've had two dogs go through rat poison. I had to put one down. Within 24 hours they're toast unless you've made em puke. Could be antifreeze since that can cause simple digestive problems. Sounds like a blockage.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope the pup pulls through.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
So sorry that you guys have to go through this.  Your pup is fortunate to have found such a caring home.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]

I read that everclear forced down a animal will save them from anti-freeze.  Not sure if its true.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Very sorry, OP.

Thoughts and prayers headed your way.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope he pulls through, good luck to you guys!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Any update?
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any update?

Sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill be thinking of the little guy. There is nothing more cowardly than poisoning a dog. My GSD Klaus had a near death experience last November. Got attacked by a ten point buck in our yard, the night after returning to CO from a successful deer hunting trip in ND, no less Golf ball sized hole in chest cavity, audible gurgling from the sucking chest wound in the car to the vet. 24 hour vet confirmed the antler slipped between his lungs and missed his heart. He is a greatful little SOB now. Good luck
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Hope your dog pulls through!!!!!!!!!!!   We're with you!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, that sucks.  I hope you find out if someone did it intentionally and if they did, who it was.

Best wishes for your pup and family.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I apologize for the slow update.

When we first got Murphy, he was in a rescue shelter, and he was afraid of his own shadow. The lady at the shelter made us interview for him, and my wife won her over; she let us adopt Murphy. He was scared that first night, but soon warmed up to us and him and my wife were inseperable. He went everywhere with us. The only place we didn't carry him was to church. For a long time we'd joke that Saturdays were 'Murphy day' because we'd carry him wherever we were going. One afternoon we were wading down the Duck river in a hole where I'd caught smallmouth bass before, and my wife got her line hung across the hole on a snag. She pulled it into the current, and off it went, spooling her reel and scaring her. She was in no danger, but she didn't know what to do with the runaway fishing line. Murphy heard her distressed calls to me and jumped in and swam right to her. Of course, she then had to rescue him (while I broke her fishing line) but nevertheless, the deed was done: he'd tried to save his momma.

He rode to west Texas with us where he befriended my wife's grandpa. Two years later her grandpa still asks about Murphy, the dog that curled up in his lap and loved on him. It'll break his heart when my wife calls him tomorrow.

When our daughter was born, we worried how Murphy would handle the new dynamic at home. He adjusted well, and he loved to play with her. Just a few days ago, I was playing rough with her - being gentle but making lots of noises as I wrestled around with her. Murphy came over and pushed between us and put his paw on my hand as if to say 'be gentle with her, dad'. He loved our little girl.

He loved to sit between my wife and I on our couch. I can't count the times I've read sad news in GD about someone's dog and petted Murphy as I read and replied. I knew my time would come one day; I was not expecting it so soon.

When we went to bed, Murphy wanted to be right between us. I usually ended up sleeping on the edge of my side of the bed so he could have plenty of room. Often as not, by morning he was curled up on my pillow. Many times I have woke in the mornings and felt his warmth on my back. And if he wasn't there, he was on the foot of the bed, and a single word from my wife would bring him up to cuddle with her.

Murphy loved going to my dad's farm - 'camp' as we'd call it - and he learned the last few bumps in the road so that as we approached dad's house he'd get excited just as if we were approaching home. He loved it there; he could roam free as a bird.

This afternoon we went to the vet's office and the vet's eyes told the story. Murphy had gotten worse through the day and the IV wasn't helping him any. I held him in my arms with his head rested on my elbow, his eyes fixed on my wife's face, as we caressed him and spoke softly to him and the vet - a wonderful, kind man in all our interactions today - gently put him to sleep.

We made one last trip to 'camp' and my dad and I went out to the hill overlooking the pond Murphy so loved to swim in, and I dug his grave next to Bubba, another dog of ours who died some years ago.

He will be missed. I have cried more in the last 12 hours than I have cried in the last twenty years.

I appreciate the kind words today. Thanks to all of you.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
So sorry to hear.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry for your loss.

Accidental antifreeze or intentional poisoning?
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Very sorry for your loss

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Antifreeze.

Doc's starting an IV, but it ain't looking good.

Had a dog die the same way.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear about your dog, man. That would suck super, super bad.

Sounds like you were an awesome owner, though. I'm sure the dog really appreciated every moment.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

Doc said symptoms pointed to intentional poisoning. Obviously, I can't prove that.........it's just as plausible that a neighbor has a radiator leak. Murphy didn't roam freely here, but he did go out to potty and would usually stay within sight - where everyone knew him - or go to the neighbor's pasture behind us. I simply do not, and at this point can not, know what happened. Part of me would love to know; part of me is content not knowing, as if there was ill intent I might not handle it well.

He was loved, and I believe that he knew it right until the end, and I am content with that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Man that stinks,  but Murphy sure looks like he was a happy dog!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for your loss.

Doc said symptoms pointed to intentional poisoning. Obviously, I can't prove that.........it's just as plausible that a neighbor has a radiator leak. Murphy didn't roam freely here, but he did go out to potty and would usually stay within sight - where everyone knew him - or go to the neighbor's pasture behind us. I simply do not, and at this point can not, know what happened. Part of me would love to know; part of me is content not knowing, as if there was ill intent I might not handle it well.

He was loved, and I believe that he knew it right until the end, and I am content with that.

I would lose my fucking mind.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

I would lose my fucking mind.

This...

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sorry for your lose I lost two of my pups from when I used to live with my parents so far this year rough stuff.

I hope it was accidental finding out otherwise would just be salt in the wound.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
So sorry to hear that you pooch didn't make it, dang things sure weasel their way into our hearts.

Would never trust a man that didn't shed a few tears at a good dogs passing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#28]
RIP Murphy

Sounds like your pal had a great life and you were there at the end, which is a blessing in and of itself.  Rescue dogs almost always get a lease on life so I'm sure he was grateful for all those extra years.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Lying on the bed with my 2 dogs both rescues and I am crying.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#33]
sorry to hear about your pup.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Very sorry lost your buddy much too soon.  He was a beautiful boy.

My deepest sympathy to you and your wife and family.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#36]
sorry for your loss

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
RIP Murphy

Sounds like your pal had a great life and you were there at the end, which is a blessing in and of itself.  Rescue dogs almost always get a lease on life so I'm sure he was grateful for all those extra years.

My thoughts also.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm patting my dog thinking the same things you've thought.  I've also had these days before.

Sorry, dude.  That is a really rough thing to deal with.  At least he had a great home and life.  I'm sure another dog will soon enjoy the same.

You guys are in my thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#42]
That sucks man, sorry to hear.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I am sorry to hear about your poor pupper.  I've been where you are too many times and I fear I will be there again in a year or two.  My golden, Midas, is 9+ and is really showing his age.  I've never had a dog get past 8 1/2 so he's on borrowed time.  I don't know how I will get through it.  But I will, just as you will.  

You and your wife sound like wonderful dog parents.  I wish you both the best and hope the pain passes soon, but at the same time, I'm afraid it won't.  

My only advice is to remember all the good times.  I wrote a memoir for my last golden.  Collected all the pictures I could find, wrote a lot about the things he taught me....I think it was something like 50 pages.  Maybe it helped.  

When I was ready, I got another dog,  that helped the most.

Again, best wishes to you both.  I feel bad for both of you.

Traveler
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Cute dog. Sorry
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#45]
He was a purdy boy!  So sorry for your loss!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, so sorry.  You will see him again one day. When you cross those pearly gates that tail will be wagging and he will be there to greet you with all the love that he had shown you here on earth. I truly believe this in my heart.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#49]
sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#50]
My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved friend.

God bless.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top