Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive never been patted down prior to getting into a patrol car.
Once for giving me a ride back to the house after a break down and once for talking over a traffic ticket(it was 107 outside).

Other times it was all JPA stuff.
I have to wonder how often risks like that get taken.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Freeway cloverleaf. Notice posted on the concrete pillars against trespassing, camping or soliciting. Homeless person with a sign standing on the corner of the westbound feeder intersection. Another homeless person with a sign standing at the next feeder intersection, the eastbound intersection. I am waiting in traffic at a red light. Police car pulls up to the first homeless person and rolls the window down. Officer says something to the homeless person and the homeless person gets into the back seat of the police car. Officer remains behind the wheel the whole time. Drives to the next intersection and talks to the second homeless person. Second homeless person gets into the back of the police car. Police car drives off with two homeless dudes in the back. Officer never got out of the patrol car, did not pat down the two homeless men. He is now driving off with two suspects sitting behind him whom he has no idea if they have weapons on them or not. I am thinking that he has not read about the increase of officers slain on duty this year.

Could it be, He asked them if they wanted to get warm and grab a hot meal at the rescue mission, He would give them a ride?

That's the first thing I thought.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He may interact with them on a regular basis and know them quite well, and could be giving them a ride to a shelter or soup kitchen.

Frequent fliers would be my guess. It still not the smartest thing in the world but... It's up to the cop how safe he wants to be.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#4]
A friend of my family did something similar. He got shot in the back of the head because he was giving some Mexicans a ride out of the rain.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He should have sprayed them with OC, proned them out and possibly tased them for compliance.

It actually sounds like an officer was using discretion to deal with it. Maybe if you raise a stink, they can make a policy that would force him to treat everybody like they're in the process of committing a violent felony.

Hmm...crazy idea letting police use common sense to solve problems, instead of letting the public force departments to put outrageously silly policies in place that must be followed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He should have sprayed them with OC, proned them out and possibly tased them for compliance.
It actually sounds like an officer was using discretion to deal with it. Maybe if you raise a stink, they can make a policy that would force him to treat everybody like they're in the process of committing a violent felony.

Hmm...crazy idea letting police use common sense to solve problems, instead of letting the public force departments to put outrageously silly policies in place that must be followed.

You mean like the NYPD's EDP policy?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't let people ride in my car without patting them down either when I was in patrol.

Witness, stranded motorist, whatever.

No one wants to ride in my back seat anymore. I think the car shaking and growling throws them off.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I was stranded, broke down, or for any reason needed a ride, and a police officer offered one with the condition of a pat down, I would politely decline the"charity" and walk as far as necessary.  No thanks.

Stunning.

pato

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Under cover cops. They are observing drivers for the no seat belt sting.

It's about revenue enhancement.  Move along.

This. I've seen it before.

The cop's sign said  "I'm a police officer. I'm looking for seat belt violations.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I was stranded, broke down, or for any reason needed a ride, and a police officer offered one with the condition of a pat down, I would politely decline the"charity" and walk as far as necessary. No thanks.

Have a nice day. 10-8

Yup, I have not one problem giving someone a ride if they need it, but my stipulation is a pat down, I do not know them from Adam and I'm not gonna chance it.

That said, if they refuse, I will happily have dispatch send a cab their way.

Of course, I work in a city where you can walk to a business within 5 minutes from pretty much anywhere.  On the highway on the way home, I have stopped many times to check on people that are broken down, help with a flat etc.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Under cover cops. They are observing drivers for the no seat belt sting.

It's about revenue enhancement. Move along.

This. I've seen it before.

The cop's sign said "I'm a police officer. I'm looking for seat belt violations.

I'm sorry, that is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe they work for him! They get a % of what they get while on his beat.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I was stranded, broke down, or for any reason needed a ride, and a police officer offered one with the condition of a pat down, I would politely decline the"charity" and walk as far as necessary.  No thanks.

Stunning.

pato

Hey, you want to be safe and I want to be left alone, sounds like my choosing to walk is a perfect compromise.  I'll take help if I need it but I'm not being felt up by anyone for any reason to get it.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#15]
So do cab drivers pat down everyone that gets into their cab?  

I'm assuming its just as easy to shoot a cab driver as it is a cop....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's why I wouldn't ever work as a cab driver.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]
At least they didn't get shot in the face with a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend of my family did something similar. He got shot in the back of the head because he was giving some Mexicans a ride out of the rain.

Two TN deputies were shot in the back of the head by a 70+ old man who was broke down and they gave him a ride.

Old guy didn't know why he shot them, he just did it.

Yeah if anyone wants to look it up, the guys name was Trooper Bret Clodfelter. This here folks is why if I become a leo one day everyone gets a pat down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#19]
You have to have reasonable cause to believe the person may have a weapon before you can lay your hands on them.

Wouldn't you also want reasonable cause (whatever the hell that is) that they are a THREAT as well?  Hell, about the only time I don't have a "weapon" on me is when I'm in the shower.

Oh, that's right, EVERYONE'S a threat when you're Deputy Dawg.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#20]
You fucking JBT haters!!!

Do you know how hard it is to coax homeless into the back of a cruiser in order to finish your homeless skin suit?!

Don't you judge his harvesting technique!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do you know how hard it is to coax homeless into the back of a cruiser in order to finish your homeless skin suit?!

Don't you judge his harvesting technique!

JBT version of the candy van
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:20:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
(For those who didn't recognize it...that last was sarcasm.     If any police officers are reading this and take offense, I'll make it up to you by telling you a surefire way to get powdered sugar out of uniform pants!).

Not offended, but always looking for good laundry tips...share with the class...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:25:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter. No one get's in the back of the patrol car without a pat down.

This.  I knew PLENTY of our locals.  They STILL weren't sitting behind me unless I checked them first.  Hell, even if they were relatives, I'd check them, since frankly, I'm not sure I trust ALL my relatives...  

Don't get stupid, don't get killed.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cab drivers (counting hacks, sedans, and legit cabbies) get shot all the time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Shhhhh. Jeez man , you're gonna blow it. I only need 1 more leg to finish mine.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not everyone needs to be patted down for officer safety. You have to have reasonable cause to believe the person may have a weapon before you can lay your hands on them. Look at Terry Vs. Ohio. The only way the officer got away with the "Terry" stop was because he was able to articulate those reasons. When you start saying "I frisk everyone.", then you are on a dangerous slope towards violating "everyone's" civil rights.
Yes, you have to worry about officer safety, but we only have one point of view to make an assumption that the officer was indanger. There have been plenty of times when I helped someone out by giving them a ride to a safer location. I don't treat these people like criminals unles they need to be treated as such.
For now, I'm going to assume the officer did a good job.

Not correct. They consent to the pat down or they can walk.

This

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why don't they pat down everyone that gets in their vehicles like LEOs do?

Or is cab driving a more dangerous profession than LEO?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So why don't they pat down everyone that gets in their vehicles like LEOs do?  

Or is cab driving a more dangerous profession than LEO?

Because they want to make tips. They're also not allowed (around here) to refuse someone a ride.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#30]
When you do not know all of the details of something you observe, assume the worst.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. I had a cousin that was murdered that way.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Still dangerous no matter how you slice it, a cop I knew in Portland was doing a routine pick up for mental health evaluation. She had done it several times for this individual in the past but this time something snapped and he assaulted her, he rammed her head in to a wall and with her head trapped in the hole tried to take her weapon. Her partner was forced to shoot the perp.
Every time prior to this, things went smoothly. Not this time though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top