BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do we have the text of the bill, as it relates to belted ammunition?  A buddy of mine who lives in VT asked for it
View Quote
I've cut out some of the text but here's what he needs to know regarding belt fed stuff.
§ 4021. LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES
(a) A person shall not manufacture, possess, transfer, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or import into this State a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

(b) A person who violates this section shall be imprisoned for not more than one year or fined not more than $500.00, or both.

(c) The prohibition on possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices established by subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to a large capacity ammunition feeding device lawfully possessed on or before the effective date of this act.

(e) As used in this section, “large capacity ammunition feeding device” means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition, provided that “large capacity ammunition feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22caliber rimfire ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Why are you suggesting the mag ban be removed and not also the universal background checks?

eta:  Maybe we could give the Republican Governor some political cover for a delay - email him about how outrageous it is that public comment was not allowed on this bill.  He could insist on a comment period before he signs.  Public comment would likely be negative, taking the pressure off him to sign the bill into law.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why are you suggesting the mag ban be removed and not also the universal background checks?
View Quote
The senate bill that has passed already had universal background checks.  The mag ban part was added by the house so it’s possible that part gets shot down when the senate considers it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The senate bill that has passed already had universal background checks.  The mag ban part was added by the house so it's possible that part gets shot down when the senate considers it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The senate bill that has passed already had universal background checks.  The mag ban part was added by the house so it's possible that part gets shot down when the senate considers it.
See my edit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea it is a long shot but the mag ban is possible to amend out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

eta:  Maybe we could give the Republican Governor some political cover for a delay - email him about how outrageous it is that public comment was not allowed on this bill.  He could insist on a comment period before he signs.  Public comment would likely be negative, taking the pressure off him to sign the bill into law.

Just a thought.
View Quote
That’s a really good idea.  Public comment is overwhelmingly negative and that’s why they won’t allow a public hearing.  He can easily be swayed by public opinion, he did it with the legal pot bill.  For some reason though he does not want to listen to gun owners.  It’s just a weird deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've cut out some of the text but here's what he needs to know regarding belt fed stuff.
(a) A person shall not manufacture, possess, transfer, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or import into this State a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

(b) A person who violates this section shall be imprisoned for not more than one year or fined not more than $500.00, or both.

(c) The prohibition on possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices established by subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to a large capacity ammunition feeding device lawfully possessed on or before the effective date of this act.

(e) As used in this section, “large capacity ammunition feeding device” means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition, provided that “large capacity ammunition feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22caliber rimfire ammunition.
View Quote
I don’t see anything in there that suggests that once you shoot a 50 round belt of disintegrating links you linked prior to the ban, that you can’t make that belt out of those links again; that it has to be 10 rounds max.

Am I missing something?  “Can be readily restored” sounds like it’s allowed, as long as you owned the links prior to the ban.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Vermont is in lost country

We should have been focussing our efforts to build a wall from just south of DC north west of Philadalphia and down the border of New York

The Northeast is dead to me. Not the USA.

Time to split it up
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought they did this years ago.

Should this be in HTF?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought they did this years ago.

Should this be in HTF?
View Quote
Who VT? No

Too important for the HTF. We need emails even ones from out of state.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don’t see anything in there that suggests that once you shoot a 50 round belt of disintegrating links you linked prior to the ban, that you can’t make that belt out of those links again; that it has to be 10 rounds max.

Am I missing something?  “Can be readily restored” sounds like it’s allowed, as long as you owned the links prior to the ban.
View Quote
It’s vague.  The mag ban author isn’t even sure if it’s legal to bring a mag to NH and then return with it.

It’s not a stretch at all to see it being interpreted where putting together used links equals creating a new belt that is post ban.  Personally I would not define a single link as a “belt”.  It would take a miracle to enforce it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
SOMETHING needs to be done about Vermont's high crime and murder rate!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It’s vague.  The mag ban author isn’t even sure if it’s legal to bring a mag to NH and then return with it.

It’s not a stretch at all to see it being interpreted where putting together used links equals creating a new belt that is post ban.  Personally I would not define a single link as a “belt”.  It would take a miracle to enforce it anyway.
View Quote
That’s kinda where I’m at in it also.  I’m emailing all of them.  I have property in northern NY on Lake Champlain; shooting in VT is something I do every once in a while.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Done, and I wrote Gov. Scott yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a bunch of Police are going to protest tomorrow at the State House, according to Gun owners of Vermont facebook
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Sent e-mails to each one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We should have been focussing our efforts to build a wall from just south of DC north west of Philadalphia and down the border of New York

Time to split it up
View Quote
Go be a loser somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]
How are Phil Sott and Andy Cuomo related again?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]
As a lifelong (until a year ago) Vermonter, I have heeded the call! E-mails sent!
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I sent out over ten emails today to Senators, Reps, and Phil Scott, hopefully somebody listens.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks all! Bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks all! Bump for the night crew.
View Quote
Keep bumping. Just saw this and sent emails to all pleading not to turn law abiding voters into criminals.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#23]
From best to also ran in nothing flat.  No crime issue..just feels.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to a gun forum tonight with all the local reps and senators. With the exception of one they all voted no on every article with the exception of bump stocks. The exception was the democrat representative that voted yes on the 21 purchase age limit with the exception of hunting licenses. He even voted no on the mag restrictions - said it makes no sense and it is not enforceable.

Unfortunately my area of VT (NEK) is more conservative than most of the rest of the State.

There are a bunch of amendments the house needs to vote on tomorrow to try and "fix" the glaring issues and then it goes back to the Senate.

They all said (including the democrat) that this was the governors fault for opening the door and letting everyone who has been wanting this to ram something through. They also said the amount of lobbyists from out of state has been incredible, the biggest one from some group based in AZ.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Time to split it up
View Quote
Lost country?
Are you familiar with VT, ME and NH gun laws?
There pretty damn good at the moment
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Been emailing like crazy for a couple weeks now.
Hit up the whole list in the OP tonight.

Hello,
Please consider the following regarding S.55.
Magazine capacity limits do nothing to limit deaths.
Are you familiar with the process of reloading a rifle or pistol?
Have shooters been stopped during the reloading process in an attack?
Have you thought this through or are you just trying to do something?
Secure schools like a courthouse. That will prevent violence guaranteed.

S.55 is feelgood legislation that solves nothing and guarantees nothing.

Thanks for reading,
Names-arealltaken
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Limiting magazine capacity is limiting a persons chance of survival.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Morning bump
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Added my $0.02.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lost country?
They're pretty damn good at the moment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to split it up
Lost country?
They're pretty damn good at the moment
Key words.Florida had good gun laws "at the moment" not that long ago.

Just sent another round of e-mails off.Best of luck Vermont.......
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I said this in the other VT thread but it looks like Lalonde is going to propose to amend the mag ban to exclude pistol mags under 15 rounds, exclude lever actions and the like with tube mags, and an exemption for manufacturers to sell out of state.  That last one will remove an economic impact so the governor will like that.

They’ve decided to talk about the gun stuff later today now that we’ve got a full house of pro gun spectators.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Whoever Claire Ayer is, she is a gun control Nazi. She wrote back saying she gladly trades liberty for safety and will consistently vote in favor of gun control.

Just some intel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Whoever Claire Ayer is, she is a gun control Nazi. She wrote back saying she gladly trades liberty for safety and will consistently vote in favor of gun control.

Just some intel.
View Quote
Yup, I got the same email and posted it in another thread. Disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just some intel.
View Quote
Wow, I didnt hear anything back yet from her.  What a wacko
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just some intel.
Ah I guess I will take her off the list. Lol. She is an addison county senator. So it was a toss up on the wackoness
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How are Phil Sott and Andy Cuomo related again?
View Quote
Butthole buddies.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I live 30 minutes North of the Canada/US border.
My home range is in VT due to our stupid gun laws.
I was planning on purchasing land to build my retirement home in VT.
If the magazine ban passes that is off the table.
The wording of the magazine legislation is scary.
Most of our Canadian 5 round semi auto rifle mags are 30 round P Mags with a rider in the spine preventing the follower from going down further than desired.
It only takes seconds to drill out the rivet.
In my book that is the definition of easily restorable. If
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do we have the text of the bill, as it relates to belted ammunition?  A buddy of mine who lives in VT asked for it

Note the continued pattern of "grandfather clauses" in initial mag bans.  Then they wait ten or 15 years and remove the grandfather clause.  Dirty stuff. Long gaming.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I live 30 minutes North of the Canada/US border.
My home range is in VT due to our stupid gun laws.
I was planning on purchasing land to build my retirement home in VT.
If the magazine ban passes that is off the table.
The wording of the magazine legislation is scary.
Most of our Canadian 5 round semi auto rifle mags are 30 round P Mags with a rider in the spine preventing the follower from going down further than desired.
It only takes seconds to drill out the rivet.
In my book that is the definition of easily restorable. If
View Quote
Please email the senators.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Email from Claire

Dear person with no signature:  Thank you for writing about gun control.  While I'm not sure what additional measures will come to the Senate in the near future, I'm pretty sure how I will vote.
As I consider what Vermont can do to decrease gun violence of all types, I think of my own family.  I was raised here in the Champlain Valley in a community that went hunting in the fall and fished the rest of the time.  Most families had guns then and my family does now.  I support hunting and do not wish to make it hard for Vermonters to continue that tradition.
When I go to the airport, I'm inconvenienced by a number of things.  I have to get there early to go through security.  I have to take off my shoes, coat, and outer layers and put them on the conveyor belt to be examined.  I can't take all my favorite lotions and potions in my carry on.  I've lost innumerable jackknives because I forgot to remove them from my purse.  
Yet I do it gladly even knowing that I individually won't make a difference.  But I know that if we all do it, my loved ones may be safer when they travel.
I think about driving.  I've driven since my early teens, yet I still need to renew my license.  I drive and maintain safe cars, yet I need to have them inspected, registered, and insured every year.  None of those state laws make me as an individual notably safer, but if all of us do it, driving is safer for everyone.
Finally, I think about the data, lots of it, about guns and gun violence.  While it's true that individual actions, such as back ground checks, age limits, and clip size limitations, may be an inconvenience to some, the rest of us are, statistically, better off when we consider nationwide violence.  In addition, we Americans make up less than 5% of the world's population, yet we own 42% of the world's privately held guns and have the world's highest rate of gun violence.  Comparing ourselves with every country in the world, the rate of gun ownership directly correlates with the rate of gun violence.
I am compelled to do all that I can to minimize gun violence.
Thank you again for your note.
Senator Clalre Ayer
Addison County, Huntington, and Buels Gore
Chair, Senate Helath and Welfare

And my reply

Thank you for your reply.

On the first two notes, those are inconveniences to privledges. They are not endowed to us by simply being born, like the Constitution and Bill of rights are. You can choose not to fly and or drive. Once the government chooses for you, that is where the issue is.

On the third point, violent crime is down. We could talk about banning fists and we would tecnically have less fist violence. That doesn’t change the fact that some people are violent towards others. We need every measure to excercise our right to self protection, not limit it.

If you take the time to think about those things, I am sure you’ll vote with the Constitution and not against it.

Thank you for your time

Spelling may have sucked but maybe she’ll get it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Email from Claire

Dear person with no signature:  Thank you for writing about gun control.  While I'm not sure what additional measures will come to the Senate in the near future, I'm pretty sure how I will vote.
As I consider what Vermont can do to decrease gun violence of all types, I think of my own family.  I was raised here in the Champlain Valley in a community that went hunting in the fall and fished the rest of the time.  Most families had guns then and my family does now.  I support hunting and do not wish to make it hard for Vermonters to continue that tradition.
When I go to the airport, I'm inconvenienced by a number of things.  I have to get there early to go through security.  I have to take off my shoes, coat, and outer layers and put them on the conveyor belt to be examined.  I can't take all my favorite lotions and potions in my carry on.  I've lost innumerable jackknives because I forgot to remove them from my purse.  
Yet I do it gladly even knowing that I individually won't make a difference.  But I know that if we all do it, my loved ones may be safer when they travel.
I think about driving.  I've driven since my early teens, yet I still need to renew my license.  I drive and maintain safe cars, yet I need to have them inspected, registered, and insured every year.  None of those state laws make me as an individual notably safer, but if all of us do it, driving is safer for everyone.
Finally, I think about the data, lots of it, about guns and gun violence.  While it's true that individual actions, such as back ground checks, age limits, and clip size limitations, may be an inconvenience to some, the rest of us are, statistically, better off when we consider nationwide violence.  In addition, we Americans make up less than 5% of the world's population, yet we own 42% of the world's privately held guns and have the world's highest rate of gun violence.  Comparing ourselves with every country in the world, the rate of gun ownership directly correlates with the rate of gun violence.
I am compelled to do all that I can to minimize gun violence.
Thank you again for your note.
Senator Clalre Ayer
Addison County, Huntington, and Buels Gore
Chair, Senate Helath and Welfare

And my reply

Thank you for your reply.

On the first two notes, those are inconveniences to privledges. They are not endowed to us by simply being born, like the Constitution and Bill of rights are. You can choose not to fly and or drive. Once the government chooses for you, that is where the issue is.

On the third point, violent crime is down. We could talk about banning fists and we would tecnically have less fist violence. That doesn’t change the fact that some people are violent towards others. We need every measure to excercise our right to self protection, not limit it.

If you take the time to think about those things, I am sure you’ll vote with the Constitution and not against it.

Thank you for your time

Spelling may have sucked but maybe she’ll get it.
View Quote
I got the same email response from her this morning. I'm assuming it's a ghost email that they send to everyone who writes about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Done

Are the gun owners in your state gonna fight for their rights at the 14 April protest??
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Done

Are the gun owners in your state gonna fight for their rights at the 14 April protest??
View Quote
Thanks
I am sure but all hands are on deck fighting this mess rn
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Done

View Quote
As a guy with zero contacs, no influence, no social media and no one to bring, I'll show up.
Don't know that it qualifies as fighting for anything
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Sent emails!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As a guy with zero contacs, no influence, no social media and no one to bring, I'll show up.
Don't know that it qualifies as fighting for anything
View Quote
Your voice matters.
Quoted:
Sent emails!
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#49]
OK I emailed them all.  Hope it helps.  I am hitting every one of these I see come up.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OK I emailed them all.  Hope it helps.  I am hitting every one of these I see come up.

Good luck!!
View Quote
Thank you!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top